Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Some serious nonsense, clueless,biased crap been spouted in this Thread....

you will find the endgame to be even more vacant and static than WoW
    Yeah, the dynamic World events are really static...can't move in Shimmersand because of all the "static" numbers of people closing Fire and Earth Rifts for the new dailies

the Heroic encounters (expert) are mainly tank and spank, range hardly ever move and melee just run in and out every now and then - the fights are poorly designed
    Did you get into some group that only had to kill Sparkwing in Foul Cascade or something? "poorly designed fights"
    its just the same as WoW with plenty more bugs, even worse armour models, the worst GM service in the world and very little pressing content.
    Again, demonstrating your obvious "i played a Beta until level 5" origin, tell us all about these game breaking bugs that wouldn't let me log in and play? oh right...must be confusing it with Blizzard who after six years can't get a Patch to run smoothly and takes numerous "hotfixes" and "rolling restarts" to even get some semblance of gameplay back...the old adage holds now as it held back in Vanilla, never raid on a Patch day

Rift was sharp but very bland, WoW has so much contrast. Everywhere you go the scenery and world just pops with creativity.
    Think you forgot to replace the WoW word with Rift, you're seriously saying the graphics in Rift are bland? tell me some zones where the World in WoW just 'pops with creativity', is it when you fly over the "new, revamped Azeroth?" especially the mountains between each zones that look like a 5 year old had splashed a few mudpies on the ground? Only decent "new" graphical addition i found good in Cataclysm was the forest around that Worgen town in the far south of Blasted Lands, Surwich i think? that showed some potential, pity it was just this tiny area, totally out of contrast with the rest of BL....

after hitting lvl 30 I personally had gotten pretty fed up with the random rifts and and crap, I just wanted to quest
    So..the actual game name RIFT didn't give you an idea of what the main selling point of the game is? dynamic RIFTS opening up and threatening the lands?

No one is around to help you, mobs respawning too fast dieing 10 times on one quest is no fun at all. Above 30 level there seems to be lack of quests
    Maybe if you tried playing Beta 5, i heard the level cap had been increased to level 36 by then

I think you confused RIFT with Age of Conan which also got mention in some posts near yours, a lack of quests? now i know you're trolling..you can level all the way to 50 with quests alone...joining in RIFT parties speeds it up and you can even end up at 50 without doing a whole zone because you've outleveled it

Beating elites alone is no go. So without help your base will be overrun and you will need to postpone questing for some time, maybe even day
    I'm sorry if you got too used to soloing Elites (if you can find them) in WoW and get nerd rage because you can't solo them in RIFT or can't gather up mobs 5 levels higher and AoE them down, you realise Blizzard took most of the elites out of WoW because poor Johnny solo pew pew hero whined and he might have to actually group up with someone !! ... even the famous Hogger got made a non elite

I could be here all year pointing out fallicies in some people's "honest" and "biased" opinions when to anyone playing RIFT it's very obvious said people didn't

All these Threads show is the clear rift (no pun intended) between those of us that played a few MMO's over the past 10=15 years, and the people whose first MMO was/is WoW and even at that, only in the past three years

Deleted
    Quite a funny thread. I love all the people claiming Wow is better than rift due to Rift being a clone. Well WoW was the biggest clone of all. They even lifted there IP from Games Workshop. They 'stole' everything about the game from mmos before them. Why do you think i became so big? The took all the good stuff from mmos that were already out and stuck them in the same game , wrapped it up in cartoony graphics that could run on a toaster and watched the $$ roll in... and i say good for them!

Big deal they have alot of the same stuff in it. Its not a fight to the death we are talking about. Both game can and will run side by side. I know Warcraft these days is more of a cult than an mmo but jeeebus.

As to the OP. Yip i love rift thus far. I just hit level 50 for the second time , mage and rogue , and i still have plenty to do. I aint even done any T1 stuff never mind rading and the like so i can speak to end game fun. The trip to 50 is great fun however! With all the new invasions poping up all the time i can get a bloody quest done! I only have about 20 quests done in Shimmersands and nada done in Stillmore. Every time i get stuck into questing i get /epic invasion in Iron Peaks! or /DEATH INVASION IN SHIMMER!! I for one love all that stuff. I still cant pass a rift without getting stuck in. The other night i was helping clear and Earth invasion in Shimmer and my raid and a Defiant raid hit the last boss. As per people were going pvp active all over the shop. After the boss was down both raids fell on each other, wow great fun as always. We had running battles for over an hour all over the place untill * A cold wind howls across the sands* yipee another invasion!

As i said end game may or may not be boring, i aint been there but you are better off finding out for yourself. Rift must be doing something right tho as WoW has already starting stealing ideas from them. They took the guild quests from it. Good for them i say. If some mmo i dont play has a good idea added i would hope the mmo i am playing nicks it quick.

Deleted
    First few levels it is fun to see the big raid events...after a while it just gets anoying.

Rift is a good way to go if you want to take a break from WoW though...it's basicly WoW with another theme.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Moomurr View Post
    Quite a funny thread. I love all the people claiming Wow is better than rift due to Rift being a clone. Well WoW was the biggest clone of all. They even lifted there IP from Games Workshop. They 'stole' everything about the game from mmos before them. Why do you think i became so big? The took all the good stuff from mmos that were already out and stuck them in the same game , wrapped it up in cartoony graphics that could run on a toaster and watched the $$ roll in... and i say good for them!

Big deal they have alot of the same stuff in it. Its not a fight to the death we are talking about. Both game can and will run side by side. I know Warcraft these days is more of a cult than an mmo but jeeebus.

As to the OP. Yip i love rift thus far. I just hit level 50 for the second time , mage and rogue , and i still have plenty to do. I aint even done any T1 stuff never mind rading and the like so i can speak to end game fun. The trip to 50 is great fun however! With all the new invasions poping up all the time i can get a bloody quest done! I only have about 20 quests done in Shimmersands and nada done in Stillmore. Every time i get stuck into questing i get /epic invasion in Iron Peaks! or /DEATH INVASION IN SHIMMER!! I for one love all that stuff. I still cant pass a rift without getting stuck in. The other night i was helping clear and Earth invasion in Shimmer and my raid and a Defiant raid hit the last boss. As per people were going pvp active all over the shop. After the boss was down both raids fell on each other, wow great fun as always. We had running battles for over an hour all over the place untill * A cold wind howls across the sands* yipee another invasion!

As i said end game may or may not be boring, i aint been there but you are better off finding out for yourself. Rift must be doing something right tho as WoW has already starting stealing ideas from them. They took the guild quests from it. Good for them i say. If some mmo i dont play has a good idea added i would hope the mmo i am playing nicks it quick.
    No, Rift is not worse than wow because it's a clone. It's just that Blizzard, as always, knew exactly how to implement the stolen features in a way that they are even more fun then the original place from where they were stolen.

Rift just tries too hard to copy but fails to make the copied features also fun.

Quote Originally Posted by a random troll View Post
    No, Rift is not worse than wow because it's a clone. It's just that Blizzard, as always, knew exactly how to implement the stolen features in a way that they are even more fun then the original place from where they were stolen.

Rift just tries too hard to copy but fails to make the copied features also fun.
    Here are a few things they have done that I know blizzard never considered:
    1. Coin Lock - your account is locked if you log in from a location too far from your IP
    2. Armor dye...soon you can dye pvp armor too
    3. youtube support...this would put fraps out of business if other MMO's did it
    4. single server LFD tool...this is Trion learning from Blizzard
    5. Appearance slots...only other game outside of LOTR to have this...Aion has it, but it is permanent and you can not simply switch out
    6. 10 man raid instances that are not just recycled versions of 20 man raids.

They did all this in under in 2 months. No excuses...no crying the technology was not there or the game would break. Hate them all you want, but they are putting ideas out there that will improve any mmo release for the next few years and force Blizzard to add these things to WoW.

I mean Trion might be pretty bad at pvp balance, but when it comes to pve these guys are leading. This is not Aion where I had Adma and Dark Poeta for my end game content for 8 months.

As all new games go: Fun for a month or 2, even the best game evar.. Then you'll be back on wow, its just the way it goes..
    Classic WoW.

Deleted
    Then you had fun in a different game for 2 months, that's great, right? It doesn't have to be better than WoW in all aspects, unless of course WoW is an addiction to "you". Then sure it has to be better, if not you end up having to go back to WoW and "your" addiction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mournblade View Post
    The amount of money Trion pours into social marketing continues to amaze me.
    This. OP - you aren't fooling anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherinfern0 View Post
    As all new games go: Fun for a month or 2, even the best game evar.. Then you'll be back on wow, its just the way it goes..
    What makes you think I hate WoW? I do not like Blizzard. This is the same way I will never play another game that supports NCSoft. I find the two companies to be full of far too many excuses.

IMO Trion just called Blizzard and NCSoft on 7 years of bull. There are certain things in Rift hat both companies said was not possible.

I'm not going to kick people's buckets of water here, but at least let me tone down peoples enthousiasm in defending either game.

I'm a classic, once Hardcore, Vanilla player. I'm actually, really, a Vanilla player. Not one of you fakes that pretend to have been there, when you only joined right before tBC when raiding was dead like a flattened bug 3 months before tBC released. I raided Blackwing Lair before any of you even finished Scholomance (which was actually a nightmare to pug back then, in greens, you know). Yes, I'm exaggerating.

After 6 years, plus a little beta, I rerolled RIFT. It's a good game. Has its faults, has its merits.

The main thing with Rift is, that it's actually a copy of WoW, just like the WoW crowd says. Those that quit WoW over it however, have a good point when they say that Rift is WoW Vanilla with the extra cream on top of it. It's a type of cream that gets old when you eat it too much and then you start realizing that whatever is under it, is still pretty much the same on a global level, nonetheless, the occasional cream (aka Rift invasions), makes it all worth it.

The thing, however, that RIFT\TRION has not yet done, but they undoubtably will and are already bringing patches in place to make it so, is cater to the crybaby generation. It's the generation that whines about every nerf, the bits of loot they couldn't get during Vanilla raid x,y,z because it was obviously too hard and too hardcore, the long queues, the tanks and the healers.(Add your own)
    In fact, this specific generation, which is not really a generation at all, but more like a spreading disease across the internet, would probably find something to cry about even when there'd be absolutely nothing to cry about.

The above "populace" is the core thing that is currently the differential between Rift and WoW. In WoW, everything has been minced to pieces to bring comfort to the user. Money is overflowing, Epics are everywhere and easily obtained. Heroics are nerfed to the point that tanks wonder why they're even doing it and probably more likely to be the cause of the queues than it being "hard instances equals lack of tanks". It's the perfect game for the perfect housewive that would play Mahjong instead, ten years ago.

Right now, Rift is still hard. I'm laughing while I write this down, because Rift isn't hard, but it may come as no surprise, that the BADS(not casuals, quite a difference), that tend to stand in Fire and Ice and all sort of things that scream MOVE THE FUCK OUT, are gloriously represented on each server, with as a consequence, the immenent nerfing of Expert dungeons that the crybaby generation cannot finish without help from their mommies.

Right now, I'm enjoying the hardships of accidental wipes, the requirement of support and offhealers to complete dungeons and the generally good feeling you have when you finish things. Even though I PUG about 50% of my runs and have yet to come across really bad players, we do occasionally encounter the lolwut-boi that spends more time on the forum crying about his hardships (and cheering the new patch, no doubt), than actually doing something right, in-game.

- Rift crafting, is the same as WoW. Period.
    - Rift (5man) Boss mechanics are currently occasionally better than WoW's, especially DSM Expert has some really nice encounters that make you want to eat your hat if you fail. More so if you dislike lasers. Most, if not all, bosses require all people to be engaged, respond to triggers, act upon instinct and that's exactly what a game of this calibre should provoke. Rift surpasses WoW on this subject.
    - RIFT AH is a farce, due to a lack of actual useful high-end craftables.
    - Rift has Rifts. Does that make it good? Of course not, but it's basically just another "doing your dailies, daily" thing and especially the grand invasions make it worth playing much much more than the regular Fedex quests.
    - Someone actually had the guts to say that WoW's questing, at lvl 85, is way better than Rifts at lvl 50. If anything, they're the same. WoW quests are FEDEX, Rift quests are FEDEX. They're one and the same thing. There is no quest story, there is only; "bring me 8 of that, get your money".

There was once a day, where the Deadmines were still hard. People wiped in the Deadmines. Can you imagine it?

All other reasons why I decided to quit wow and join Rift, are right here, in this topic on the WoW forums. Mind you, it's sort of abstract material, probably not something for this crowd. Still, have a go at it.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1874250727
    Last edited by Vespian; 2011-05-07 at 07:11 PM.

That was a cool thread to read. I think Blizzard deletes those? and Trion just locks them. Only issue I have with those threads and when I used to support WoW you can tell he never experienced WoW.

If you go by his achievement point count alone out of 9,000 he is at 2.5k. There was a ton of stuff to do and explore, but the issue for me is I realized I missed this grand golden age of WoW by joining late in BC and this magical time had passed. I was one of those guys before I left who supported a vanilla server.

If Blizzard did what EQ did I would create another account pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    That was a cool thread to read. I think Blizzard deletes those? and Trion just locks them. Only issue I have with those threads and when I used to support WoW you can tell he never experienced WoW.

If you go by his achievement point count alone out of 9,000 he is at 2.5k. There was a ton of stuff to do and explore, but the issue for me is I realized I missed this grand golden age of WoW by joining late in BC and this magical time had passed.
    I guess they missed it

Deleted
    1. Coin Lock - your account is locked if you log in from a location too far from your IP.
    Blizzard do do this FYI, It's happened to me at least 4 times when I have been traveling.

Quote Originally Posted by Rixuraxu View Post
    Blizzard do do this FYI, It's happened to me at least 4 times when I have been traveling.
    I know exactly what you are talking about and when it happened to me I had to call Blizzard to unlock my account. Trion sends you and e-mail. If your account is still hacked, then you know 100% you got yourself a key logger.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenfinn View Post
    The leveling process with invasions and stuff are pretty awesome in Rift.
    The invasions are still pretty awesome at level 50 if you go in as a guild and just kill all the opposing faction people + all the mobs.

Other than that, the game is pretty lacking end-game-wise.

The PvP is kind of "broken" and theres no real "goal" in it.
    The raids are nothing special and not really all that hard.
    The 5mans are nice, but you cant really PuG the harder ones and they get boring after a while.

I played for 2 months, got to 50 and got geared. Did some PvP and raiding but it all got quite boring really fast.
    I guess I might have enjoyed the PvP a bit more if I did more premades and played a Pyromancer.

Anyways, enjoy it while it lasts.

I'll prolly give the game another go in a few months depending on what they do with the end-game content.
    I was there at head start, played through and enjoyed it for the most part. Not entirely sure what happened though, I just slowly lost interest after 2 months. Hopefully OP, you'll get more enjoyment than I did.
    If you love / enjoy WoW in its current state, don't bother with my signature...with all due respect, its not for you. (note: I am happy and respectful though, of your enthrallment with WoW... if not a little envious!)
    My dirty little nefarious nautical profession secret - its where I go to get my fix

Deleted
    I know exactly what you are talking about and when it happened to me I had to call Blizzard to unlock my account. Trion sends you and e-mail. If your account is still hacked, then you know 100% you got yourself a key logger.
    You clearly don't know exactly what I'm talking about then, because blizzard sent me an email and I had to change my password, use secret question all that.

Please use the big Rift thread!