Poll: Dwarf

Quote Originally Posted by nektar View Post
    He's not in the book, it's just Jackson messing with several timelines and the overall lore so that he can justify stretching a 300 page book in to 3 movies. I was kind of hoping the characters would be better fleshed out. In the book they were pretty 1 sided and boring and Jackson had the chance to change that but judging by movie he didn't and probably won't. He seems more concerned filling up the run time with unnecessary/unnecessarily long scenes, such as the pale orc storyline, the long stone giant scene, the frodo cameo at the beginning of the movie, the list goes on and on. All this additions just lead to a poorly paced movie.
    I don't really agree. The Hobbit is really more of a ride and exploration of Middle-Earth, since the plot really is just moving forward when they're getting closer to the mountain, compared to LOTR that had the urge of war all around, where the world would be doomed if Frodo didn't get as quickly as possible to Mordor.

The fact that is has to be on that specific day KINDA tries to give a little urge, but if not for that little detail, they could just walk and enjoy the scenery, since Smaug isn't moving anywhere soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Snore View Post
    On another note. How did you guys like the new goblin looks? I liked the LOTR designs much better. It doesn't really affect my opinion on the movie though.
    Well, I'm a little unclear on the distinction between orcs and goblins. They seem to be separate yet the term is used interchangeably as well. I would be okay if the ones from Moria looked like LotR and the ones in the Misty Mountains looked like The Hobbit and in the Battle of Five Armies we saw both. I prefer the LotR orcs/goblins more.

I also felt like it was a little less immersive (nothing to do about it) having Frodo and dwarves. Without Gandalf you just feel like it's a group of guys more than LotR with Human/elf(/wizard) aside dwarf aside hobbits offering more visual notice of the heights. But not much to do there all in all.

Personal disappointments:
    Thorin's beard is lacking proper dwarf pride
    Not enough Gloin (thought it would be a good tool to tie the trilogies together)

Personal cheers
    Two words: Bunny sled.
    Last edited by Faroth; 2012-12-18 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bamf775 View Post
    I hope the dont stop at "The Hobbit". There are so many other epic timlines in the history of MIddle Earth that just can't be ignored. Hell, they could probably do a movie or trilogy on just the battle of Beleriand. Anyone have a favorite timline?
    Maybe Angmar? Or crazy stuff during the First Age, once you get past all the origins and stuff?

---------- Post added 2012-12-19 at 12:07 AM ----------

On another note. How did you guys like the new goblin looks? I liked the LOTR designs much better. It doesn't really affect my opinion on the movie though.
    There's so many different kind of orcs that I don't really know if I want to pick a favorite orc race. I do like the big strong orcs like the pale orc more, but that might be because they are enhanced when they stand in contrast to the smaller orcs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    Maybe Angmar? Or crazy stuff during the First Age, once you get past all the origins and stuff?.
    I'd love to see Morgoth and Ungoliant stealing the Silmarils, and the balrogs showing up to defend Morgoth. But nothing from Silmarillion will make it into movies, at least not for quiiite a while, as stated by PJ himself. Something about there still being some copyright-stuff. He talked about it during Comic Con.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bamf775 View Post
    I hope the dont stop at "The Hobbit". There are so many other epic timlines in the history of MIddle Earth that just can't be ignored. Hell, they could probably do a movie or trilogy on just the battle of Beleriand. Anyone have a favorite timline?
    They don't have the rights to do very much I'm afraid. The Tolkien Estate holds the broadcast rights to all material outside of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings.

This is why Gandalf couldn't remember the names of the two blue wizards Alatar and Pallando. Because they aren't allowed to use their names.

10+ Year Old Account
    They don't have the rights to do very much I'm afraid. The Tolkien Estate holds the broadcast rights to all material outside of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings.

This is why Gandalf couldn't remember the names of the two blue wizards Alatar and Pallando. Because they aren't allowed to use their names.
    Didn't Tolkien make up two names for each blue wizard? I thought it was because of not knowing which one to use that Gandalf said he didn't remember. I know about the rights which I so profesionally called copyright, but I didn't even stop to think that the names couldn't be used.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Dang... I didn't realize that. =/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Badhairday View Post
    Didn't Tolkien make up two names for each blue wizard? I thought it was because of not knowing which one to use that Gandalf said he didn't remember. I know about the rights which I so profesionally called copyright, but I didn't even stop to think that the names couldn't be used.
    Nope. They can't even mention their names without risking a lawsuit. It was actually kind of made into a joke. Gandalf said something along the lines of "...but I've quite forgotten their names".

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. They can't even mention their names without risking a lawsuit. It was actually kind of made into a joke. Gandalf said something along the lines of "...but I've quite forgotten their names".
    Oh, I do realize that now, I just wanted to share my first thoughts about it for some reason. But about what I said about two names:

An alternate set of names in Quenya for both wizards is given in the 1968 The Peoples of Middle-earth as Morinehtar ("Darkness-slayer") and Rómestámo ("East-helper").
    Although, this is taken from wikipedia. So I'm not sure how accurate it is. Began reading Unfinished Tales a few days ago but I haven't gotten to anything about the Istari yet, and I only have part 1-2 of The History of Middle Earth. (according to wikipedia, these new names appear in volume 12)
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

I liked the look of the Goblin King, but the rest of the goblins, not really. And some of the LotR orcs I found to be not that good looking. Mostly the supposed "lesser orcs" like the one that went after Merry (or Pippin) when the Rohirrim came upon them and slaughtered the orcs. I found those ones to look rather dumb. The look of the Goblin King, I think, fit one so large and fat. Not so much the smaller goblins.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Orcs/Goblins riding Wargs were not bad. The Orcs/Goblins in Goblin Town bordered on ludicrous. Didn't really need nor want to see their version of apparently far too inbred "rednecks." My biggest issue seemed to be a, well, slimy "sheen" the Orc/Goblins now seem to have. I prefer the generally dryer skinned Orcs/Goblins of the LOTR movies in just about every way over the ones in Hobbit. Now I did like the Wargs more in Hobbit than the Hyena like things in LOTR.

---------- Post added 2012-12-18 at 07:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Personal disappointments:
    Thorin's beard is lacking proper dwarf pride
    Not enough Gloin (thought it would be a good tool to tie the trilogies together)
    Completely agree. What is up with a dwarf not having a beard. A dwarf of royal blood no less. Could care less about having a dwarf version of Aragorn. He should have a beard. With the changes they are making I find myself wondering if Thorin is going to die at the Battle of Five Armies in this version? One of Dain's claims to fame is killing Azog at the end of the Dwarf Orc War after all. Are Fili and Kili still going to die?
    Last edited by SirRobin; 2012-12-19 at 01:17 AM.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Completely agree. What is up with a dwarf not having a beard. A dwarf of royal blood no less. Could care less about having a dwarf version of Aragorn. He should have a beard. With the changes they are making I find myself wondering if Thorin is going to die at the Battle of Five Armies in this version? One of Dain's claims to fame is killing Azog at the end of the Dwarf Orc War after all. Are Fili and Kili still going to die?
    Thorin has more of a beard than Kili. Kili just has stubble. http://www.geektown.co.uk/wp-content...ves-hobbit.jpg
    The only ones that have true dwarf beards (Gimli's is what I consider a dwarf beard) are Balin, Dwalin, Bifur, Oin and Gloin. It's one of the things I don't like, with Bombur's "beard" being the worst.

10+ Year Old Account
    I bet even Bilbo did not buy that excuse...

He could have said : "They have been far in the East for a long time now. I don't know under which names they are now known by the people there."

Afterall, no wizard's true name is known in Middle Earth. In fact, no one really knew who were the Istari and where they came from except Cirdan the Shipwright, Elrond and Galadriel (the bearers of the Three). The common elves only guessed who they were, messengers from Valinor.

I liked the movie, I thought it was as good as the Lord of the Rings myself.

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    does anyone know if peter jackson will do the similiarion movie after the hobbit is finished
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    The Orcs/Goblins riding Wargs were not bad. The Orcs/Goblins in Goblin Town bordered on ludicrous. Didn't really need nor want to see their version of apparently far too inbred "rednecks." My biggest issue seemed to be a, well, slimy "sheen" the Orc/Goblins now seem to have. I prefer the generally dryer skinned Orcs/Goblins of the LOTR movies in just about every way over the ones in Hobbit. Now I did like the Wargs more in Hobbit than the Hyena like things in LOTR.
    I agree with you there. Though it still bothered me far more that Orcs were out during the day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    does anyone know if peter jackson will do the similiarion movie after the hobbit is finished
    The Simarillion would be a painful movie. The book was pretty tedious.
    "There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you." -Mazer Rackham - Ender's Game Orson Scott Card

Quote Originally Posted by metaladdict View Post
    It was a morgul blade, it could have been any ring wraith. And i'm pretty sure i'm stretching this ALOT but he reminded me a lot of this guy http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Morgomir" from Lord of the rings battle for middle earth 2: Rise of the witch-king.

Also yes, the part of him beëing burried pist me a little of as a nerd nit picking son of a bitch that i am

EDIT:
    i know the game is non-canon but it stil reminded me of him

---------- Post added 2012-12-18 at 10:15 PM ----------

also, while i'm nit picking a like a moterF**** it annoyed the hell out of me when they called goblins orcs, there is a bloody difference for fucks sake!
    Good thing you didn't see the danish subtitles. Apparently orcs, goblins and trolls are all just trolls...
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

10+ Year Old Account
    I never really been a lord of the rings fan, just never been my fancy. Dragged to see this, and while it wasn't bad, I wouldn't sat it was good. Parts of the movie to me just seemed that scenes and events happened to quickly, messing up the flow. This was mainly in the beginning. Gandalf seemed inconsistent to me as well. Maybe the fanbase just builds him up as some badass, but honestly besides when they were captured by goblins, he seemed kinda meh all around. Love me some Martin Freeman though, great actor. And Ian is a good actor too of course
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    I agree with you there. Though it still bothered me far more that Orcs were out during the day.
    whats wrong with orcs being out during the day ?
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)