Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Best thing to suggest without having any logs to go through, is to aim for having haste in all your gear know what the haste marks are, get hit cap, only get go for socket bonuses when the bonus is +20.

This is the biggest tip i can help with though, the thing that can cost you thousands of dps is not understanding your mastery (ignore how shit the rest of the UI is lol)
    In the middle i have a power auras set up to track both my shadow orbs, and how many i have, and the other bit to show when ES is up (which you should aim to have up as much as possible!). Also have another to show when theralion's mirror procs to know when to reapply dots.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rsion/advanced

anywho, hopes it helps

Out of interest I made a chardev profile of the guy/gal and implemented the recommended changes, then ran it through simulationcraft head to head against the original armory. Mostly I did this because I've always been convinced that tweaking small things like gemming & reforging makes the tiniest of differences compared to actually pressing the buttons during combat.

Here's the profile: http://chardev.org/?profile=145872

Changes include - maxing Int gemming, peerless stats and lavawalker enchants, and reforging (via wowreforge.com) to equal the hit cap while maximising haste, and going with the EJ recommended max-dps talent spec (plus last MA point + PH). I get that some folks might disagree with this, but I'd expect it to generally pass muster as a more-or-less-approved setup.

So, on to the results:

Patchwerk style fight (missing DI and FM buffs, all else optimal, 450secs, 20% variation):

Original armory: 21590
    Tweaked profile: 21650 an improvement of 0.65%

Helter Skelter style fight (other options as above)

Original armory: 17452
    Tweaked profile: 17565 an improvement of 0.28%

I know that simulationcraft != actual play, but if anything I'd expect the sim to maximise any visible difference. With the tiny variations that the sim shows I doubt that making any chances to the guy's/gal's gemming, talents, reforging etc would be noticeable at all. For any meaningful discussion of how to make a genuine difference, post some logs

Bad spec probably not using fiend on CD

Deleted
    I know it has been said already, but he is defenately not playing correctly. My priests gear is even worse than his, and on fights like Magmaw, Omnitron or Maloriak for example, its absolutely no problem to do 20k+ without DI.

It's more a thing of keeping your dots up, knowing when to refresh them and using your cooldowns right.

Let him read the guides here in the forum and over at elitist jerks.

Pretty sure its not been mentioned but isn't www.shadowpriest.com the best resource for learning to play a shadow priest still? I know a lot of, in my humblest of opinions, amazing shadow priests, raiding with the top guilds on my server who swear by it...

Never played the spec myself so not looked at it but they seem to think its top notch!

10+ Year Old Account
    I once saw a priest with strength and agility gems in full 359 epics. Don't ask me how or why or what. I don't even...

Quote Originally Posted by Viziel View Post
    Also have another to show when theralion's mirror procs to know when to reapply dots.
    Surely you are joking....all your stats get checked on every tick of your dot.
    It's not like wrath where the stats you had when you put your dot on keep running for the entire duration of that dot....

Deleted
    Reforging is a bit confusing. On one item he reforges crit into hit the on another item reforges out of hit into haste.

If an item has no haste feforge into Haste
    if it has haste reforge into Crit.

Hit should be really easy with talent that converts Spirit into Hit.

Also chest ench needs updating to peerless stats.

I have gear which is worse and i pull in 10-12k

you need to know the rotation well and use SF when your at about 80% mana and use on CD.
    Keep empowering shadows up and dots up and Mind Blast off CD.
    Using Mind spike mid fight is usless. It can be a nice opener use it 3 times in a row and pop instant MB, then dot up. i Only use Mind Spike as opener and if the target has lessthan 5% health.

All gems intellect ignore the socket bonus unless you can get a gem to equate to total intellect.
    eg blue socket bonus is 20int you gem 20int&20spirit. which means you get 40int and 20sprit. instead of gemming a red gem with 40 int.

Quote Originally Posted by matti0006 View Post
    It's not like wrath where the stats you had when you put your dot on keep running for the entire duration of that dot....
    Not sure if serious........................................

You are wrong. DoTs only update when you refresh them, either by recasting them or with MF for SW:P. Having a power aura that shows when Mirror is active can increase the duration of the buff greatly.

Updating on recast/refresh is not the same thing as DoTs updating on every tick. You are 100% wrong on this. They got rid of the carrying a buff through the entire fight by adding in the refresh part there (so when you refresh sw: pain through mf) not by updating them every tick.

Deleted
    You are wrong. It behaves like this with debuffs on the target, but not with buffs on yourself. If mirror procs, or volcano and pt proc together you have to reapply dp and vt by yourself. Swp gets refreshed by mf.

Win troll is win. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Runc View Post
    For any meaningful discussion of how to make a genuine difference, post some logs
    Very much this. You're asking us about another player, so you can't give us any information about how they're playing without a log. Gear discussions usually only benefit new shadowpriests or min/max'ers with access to many pieces of gear/enchants/trinkets from farming.

We can tell you the basics of how to play a priest, but we'll only be able to help you with this one person if we know what they're doing wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Purpleisbetter View Post
    Power Torrent, Volcano and Theralion proc'ed, dots just refreshed. Everyone dies. Just a tank and a boss with around 200k hp. Everyone in vt yells "omg we failed omg omg" and you "don't worry amigos, my dots are steamrolling!". Boss dies while you'd say "Enjoy your loots" with a lot of purple awesomness spilling thru your voice. Just happend yesterday.

Seriously, i thought i'd reroll warlock for 4.2, but that was the sign that i'm purple inside and i can't reroll. never.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most of the chages have already been noted, but it needs to be said that even with the correct gemming/enchanting/reforging its not going to be a sizable increase, DMC:Volcano should help a bit over Stump of Time, but it's not going to be drastic. It's a performance problem more than anything.
    People often think being a good player is just about "pulling numbers" which is absolutely stupid, learning your class (which includes the CORRECT priority system), each encounter, abilities that don't directly affect you, but is required knowledge for the fact that you may need to use certain cds (hymns) to prevent other deaths/dmg/regen mana at certain times are equally as important. Is he performing well in those areas? Does he die often as well as pull lousy dps?

Shadow is like the 2nd highest overall dps behind MM hunters, so he should be pulling a good 5-6k more (AT LEAST) in the gear.

Yeah as other people have pointed out, some odd gemming choices there. Slightly over hit cap. He should get the cloth shoulders from ZG. Slight upgrade that he can get in his own time. Ermm. Perhaps he is not multi dotting? Not keeping empowered shadows up? Not making the most of Shadow Word: Death, when the boss is sub 25% health? Not using Shadowfiend and Dark Arcangel on CD? Poor DoT up time in general? Those would be the most common playstyle mistakes, I suppose.

---------- Post added 2011-06-14 at 01:35 PM ----------

Oh and if he is OOMing...remind him that he has several options to return mana - Dark Arcangel, although it's quite a nice little buff to mind blast damage so he should be using it for the damage buff as opposed to mana return as often as possible. Shadowfiend. And Shadow Word: Death, it's like a mini life tap.