Quote Originally Posted by Viscoe View Post
    So, like.. if a boss is doing a frontal cone or whatever, all the tank does is hold up his shield and he won't take damage?
    Essentially. Usually you have to manage your shield resource or something so your guard doesn't break.

Warrior tanking is pretty interesting. It's all about backflips, lunges, sidesteps, dancing slashes that deal damage and threat AS you move out of the way. A really excellent warrior tank deals a constant flow of damage while flying about the boss, avoiding almost all the damage. It takes a pretty skilled player because 1 mistep and you can end up getting combo punched into the ground.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    Essentially. Usually you have to manage your shield resource or something so your guard doesn't break.

Warrior tanking is pretty interesting. It's all about backflips, lunges, sidesteps, dancing slashes that deal damage and threat AS you move out of the way. A really excellent warrior tank deals a constant flow of damage while flying about the boss, avoiding almost all the damage. It takes a pretty skilled player because 1 mistep and you can end up getting combo punched into the ground.
    Nah they gave warriors a generic block so it's not all that interesting anymore compared to lancer.

10+ Year Old Account
    I liked tanking as warrior when the block wasn't there. Though warriors can't block as much as a lancer their resource regen by attack is slightly lower bar 2 skills that have relatively high recovery in comparison.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Healers have to aim their heals at party members. It's more interactive and keeps your eyes on the action.
    Yeah, that's true. But it seems like you can avoid like all the damage? Or something?

Also I think healers in WildStar can aim their heals.
    Pokemon FC: 5112-3501-2407 Trainer: Oli FS: Viscoe - Farfetch'd/Hoothoot/Rufflet - Currently Full, DO NOT ADD
    Secondary 3DS: 3668-8923-2263 FS: Slider - Phanpy/Camerupt/Diggersby

Nah they gave warriors a generic block so it's not all that interesting anymore compared to lancer.
    : l

Oh.

Le sigh.

And yeah, having to aim you heals is a lot more fun then

Q Q Q Q E E Q Q shift+E Q Q Q E E E Q Q shift+E

Yeah, that's true. But it seems like you can avoid like all the damage? Or something?

Also I think healers in WildStar can aim their heals.
    W* healers have the most interesting job since they aim their heals, however their ST heals were still tab target.

In TERA you can theoreticly avoid all the damage, the likely hood of that happening is low.

Here is a high end fight in TERA tank POV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsanuLy-uWA

Skip to the 5 min mark for the fight to start rolling.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    I liked tanking as warrior when the block wasn't there. Though warriors can't block as much as a lancer their resource regen by attack is slightly lower bar 2 skills that have relatively high recovery in comparison.
    I dropped warrior tanking after that. I was expecting some kind of parry thing, not a generic block :l

I dropped warrior tanking after that. I was expecting some kind of parry thing, not a generic block :l
    You wanted to impact block like in soul calibur 2. Mmm. (Isn't that how the giant totem pole guy in vindictus tanks?)

Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    You wanted to impact block like in soul calibur 2. Mmm. (Isn't that how the giant totem pole guy in vindictus tanks?)
    I couldn't get into vindictus sorry

Also I think healers in WildStar can aim their heals
    We are just going to have to see about that.

We've heard that their single target heals are tab target and their aoe heals are aimed... Kind of like bear shamans (aoc) blow flow conal heal or circle of healing or volley that heals... Wouldn't end up being all that different from any other g2 mmo.

But we shall see.

- - - Updated - - -

I couldn't get into vindictus sorry

No need to apologize. It's a horrific grind game that just happens to have some of the best combat (zomg lann). I can't stomach the grind for very long myself but I am glad you at least explored it a little bit. It's good to know what's out there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Huh, that TERA fight looked like it could have been a lot of fun.

And TERA is *THE* action combat game, right? So WildStar's combat (while questing) doesn't really compare to TERA combat (while questing)?

The reason being white attacks, that is. The rest of that TERA fight looked like a buttload of "move out of this" which W* will have according to everything, though not at such high and constant a frequency?
    Pokemon FC: 5112-3501-2407 Trainer: Oli FS: Viscoe - Farfetch'd/Hoothoot/Rufflet - Currently Full, DO NOT ADD

Huh, that TERA fight looked like it could have been a lot of fun.

And TERA is *THE* action combat game, right? So WildStar's combat (while questing) doesn't really compare to TERA combat (while questing)?

The reason being white attacks, that is. The rest of that TERA fight looked like a buttload of "move out of this" which W* will have according to everything, though not at such high and constant a frequency?
    Well, Tera is THE action combat mmo with an open world. There's other like dragonnest, vindictus, and warframe (a few others) that are all pretty high quality.

Tera's questing, storywise, is painful. It's delievery is archaic and unimaginative... But then again, wildstars questing is the same as Teras except with a little less backtracking But the actual process of killing enemies while you are leveling? Hands down Tera.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know, i'm ok with the combat in Wildstar, long as that white damage gets tuned down, it was ridiculous . I just hoped they didn't advertise as being action combat when its not.

I kinda wanna play the Engineer and see if its like one of those gadgety engineers or one of those more like Torchlight? Steam, Magitek stuff like that. I can choose a class now, mostly now that they officially confirmed these last two. Its gonna go down between SpellSlinger or Engineer. What about you guys?

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends, for me.

I was thinking spellslinger, but they're a little TOO magic-y for me.

So for the first time, I was thinking of maining a tank (Stalker.) But then someone in this thread said I might like Engineer, so maybe I'd main one of those (because from leaked info I believe they can both tank and DPS, so it'd be perfect.)

Lone problem: Aurin most likely can't be engineer, and I have my heart set on that race. So it comes down to two things: can aurin be engineer, and if not, is engineer really fun enough to pull me away from my race of choice.

Also, @all that TERA combat comparing stuff: Thanks for the info, guys. Now I have a little more knowledge about what you guys mean when you talk. :P

It depends, for me.

I was thinking spellslinger, but they're a little TOO magic-y for me.

So for the first time, I was thinking of maining a tank (Stalker.) But then someone in this thread said I might like Engineer, so maybe I'd main one of those (because from leaked info I believe they can both tank and DPS, so it'd be perfect.)

Lone problem: Aurin most likely can't be engineer, and I have my heart set on that race. So it comes down to two things: can aurin be engineer, and if not, is engineer really fun enough to pull me away from my race of choice.

Also, @all that TERA combat comparing stuff: Thanks for the info, guys. Now I have a little more knowledge about what you guys mean when you talk. :P
    Engineer is going to be weird, I'm not sure how its going to work overall. It uses a ranged weapon and its a tank and it has pets and aurin can't be engineers :l

10+ Year Old Account
    Engineer pros:

- Ranged weapon
    - PETS (are they permanent?)
    - Can tank and DPS
    - Not a magic user (or at least not predominant magic, I hope)

Engineer cons:

- Can't be aurin
    - I haven't actually played it yet so I don't know if I'll really like it.

So then I guess if I play engineer I'll play my Exiles fallback, the Granok. (My second choice for race is the Drakken, but my friends and I already decided on Exiles so)
    Last edited by Viscoe; 2013-09-29 at 09:16 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Engineer pros:

- Ranged weapon
    - PETS (are they permanent?)
    - Can tank and DPS

Engineer cons:

- Can't be aurin
    - I haven't actually played it yet so I don't know if I'll really like it.

So then I guess if I play engineer I'll play my Exiles fallback, the Granok. (My second choice for race is the Drakken, but my friends and I already decided on Exiles so)
    We know almost nothing about the engineer past leaked potential abilities from reddit datamining.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Then when CBT4 comes out, if engineers are playable, I WILL LIVE VICARIOUSLY THROUGH SOMEONE TO FIND OUT!

That someone being reddit, probably.

Seriously, pet class. /swoon

God I hope engineer doesn't have pets, then I'll never play it.

I hope to god Carbine doesn't butcher the engineer class with a shitty pet mechanic. All pet mechanics in MMO's are garbage in my opinion, they will never be good, STOP ADDING THEM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Generally, pet AI is horrible. I will 100% agree on that.

But I just can't help my love of pets.

I hope it does have pets! Because then I can play a fully tech/non-magic class. And have pets. And a ranged weapons! It's everything I like rolled into one thing. (I mean, unless they come out with a shapeshifter or wild animal tamer. Then I'd like that one more.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Engineer has the potential to be interesting for me, or a total disaster. Will have to wait to find out i guess. For now, Mordesh SpellSlinger =p