Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I think the trolls are winning right now lol

Quote Originally Posted by Keske View Post
    "I would punish them acordingly". I don't punish by hitting. There are other ways of negative reinforcment.
    I beg you, name ONE effective method of teaching a child to not be an asshole that doesn't involve even remotely hurting them.

Keske - I completely agree with you. The other people clearly either do not have children or are horrible, oblivious parents because it's not hard to engage your child and teach them right from wrong. For someone to say that written/spoken words because of a video game deserve any sort of physical reaction is immature and really has severe mental problems. It's a child. a 13 year old child. The man was in his 40's. How is 'he hurt my feelings' equal to 'i'm going to choke you to death'?

Others- So essentially, when those kids came to Columbine and those other schools in duster jackets and shot up the schools, it was ok because the other kids hurt their feelings? Very similar, right? So how is mere choking ok, but not shooting someone that upsets you?

Quote Originally Posted by Zypherz View Post
    Slap them harder? You don't have to break their fucking necks; just get it into their head that what they're doing is wrong. I'm not promoting child cruelty here, I'm simply stating that it's the best way to teach a child not to do certain things. You can ground them as well, sure. If they continue to ignore you the only thing that will stop them is by being physical.
    To me what I feel I would teach my children is. If you don't like what X is doing. Slam him harder till he understands. I'm no way saying that most people that diciplin their children bash their brains out, but in my mind that is a terrible way of reinforcing it.

But this is what I'm asking you. What do you do when the slap on the wrist isn't enough?
    A much harder strike to the ass. If physical pain and being told why what he did was wrong isn't enough to discourage more of the same misbehaving, then time outs/deprivation of toys would have even less effect.

Quote Originally Posted by GDiamond View Post
    Grown man sounds like a psychopath. What sort of mature, stable adult takes insults from a child serious enough to search for their address, hunt them down, break into their private home and attempt to kill them?
    No one said he was mature or stable. But trolls take it to far. There is a thing called endurance and people can only take so much before they snap. We all have different threshholds. The kid was intent on making the man mad and he did just that. The guy was wrong but I have 0 sympathy for the little jerk. Trolls need to be stoped one way or another they are getting bad. It's to the point where is is driving people to suicide.

Not glad it happened nor do I condone what he did... But if you've seen/expereienced kids and even adults trolling, you know you probably wished you could do this. =P

To me what I feel I would teach my children is. If you don't like what X is doing. Slam him harder till he understands. I'm no way saying that most people that diciplin their children bash their brains out, but in my mind that is a terrible way of reinforcing it.
    Children were put to labor in coal mines at ridiculously young ages not too long ago, children were beat SENSELESS if they spoke back to their parents not too long ago.

Consider them lucky that they're only receiving a fucking slap on the wrist or ass.

Ohh, wow so teaching your kid any time they do something wrong they should get hit works so well. Hmm. It teaches them to fear you, as well as teaching them, "Hey, I pissed daddy off, so he hits me. I think since this dude pissed me off, I should hit him too! I mean, it's got to be the way to handle stuff since it's how daddy taught me!"

10+ Year Old Account
    I beg you, name ONE effective method of teaching a child to not be an asshole that doesn't involve even remotely hurting them.
    Hitting your child is not negative reinforcement, hitting is punishment which is different and has worse out comes than negative reinforcement. Have you taking psychology before?
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

One of my fathers favourites (Once I was old enough) was simply "One day with no fun" that means he put me to work around the house untill I was exhausted (and hence couldn't throw a fit) and then I had to spend the evening in boredom. Sure as hell put me off breaking the rules. And the very few times I got so upset I refused to do that he simply waited untill I was hungry.

---------- Post added 2011-09-30 at 11:04 PM ----------

Children were put to labor in coal mines at ridiculously young ages not too long ago, children were beat SENSELESS if they spoke back to their parents not too long ago.

Consider them lucky that they're only receiving a fucking slap on the wrist or ass.
    They still are. Don't see how that changes the nature of the punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by ElAmigo View Post
    Hitting your child is not negative reinforcement, hitting is punishment which is different and has worse out comes than negative reinforcement. Have you taking psychology before?
    I haven't once stated that it's negative reinforcement. I simply stated that it's effective and works better than just telling them off.

I haven't once stated that it's negative reinforcement. I simply stated that it's effective and works better than just telling them off.
    How many kids do you have and how old are they?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keilith View Post
    No one said he was mature or stable. But trolls take it to far. There is a thing called endurance and people can only take so much before they snap. We all have different threshholds. The kid was intent on making the man mad and he did just that. The guy was wrong but I have 0 sympathy for the little jerk. Trolls need to be stoped one way or another they are getting bad. It's to the point where is is driving people to suicide.
    Then the parents should do something about it, not some f*cking stranger from who the hell knows where. If someone bothers you online you either leave, deal with it, or mute them. If someone is harassing you, you call the police.

The mans lucky that the woman didn't put a knife into his back.

Quote Originally Posted by Abbeygale View Post
    Ohh, wow so teaching your kid any time they do something wrong they should get hit works so well. Hmm. It teaches them to fear you, as well as teaching them, "Hey, I pissed daddy off, so he hits me. I think since this dude pissed me off, I should hit him too! I mean, it's got to be the way to handle stuff since it's how daddy taught me!"
    Or, if you're mature enough by the time you're older you'll realise that you were hit for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Abbeygale View Post
    How many kids do you have and how old are they?
    How many do you?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    guess he wont be talkin any more shit now

10+ Year Old Account
    "I would punish them acordingly". I don't punish by hitting. There are other ways of negative reinforcment.
    And how would you argue this man stop this child's behavior from affecting others? Even if he were to ignore this kids insults, this kid would continue to insult others, and perhaps someone who was more sensitive than this guy, but instead of tracking him down, committed suicide over this kid who shouldn't have even been playing the game to begin with.

How many times are we going to go through this? No one should be crazy enough to take a child's life over a video game, and neither should it have come to the conclusion that it did and that guy went to that kid's house. But there are some people who do far worse over the internet who really go out of their way to hurt people's emotions, just to be a form of entertainment. Its these kind of people I have no sympathy for, its these kind of people that I could care less if they burned in hell for all eternity. People should never be harmful towards others, words do hurt more than some would like to think. Just because it doesn't affect one person does not mean it affects everyone the same way.

While you may feel it was unnecessary to go out and harm this kid (which I can agree, even though I hate that sort of behavior with a passion), not everyone will tolerate the actions of others in the same way. And I for one, will not tolerate your bereavement of others by telling them, in the same fashion as this kid, that they are horrible people because they have an opinion on this matter different than yours. And you have just rejected your own argument by attempting at making others become riled by your own insult at them.

If words mean nothing over the internet, why are you trying to belittle others by making them sound inferior to you?
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Quote Originally Posted by GDiamond View Post
    Then the parents should do something about it, not some f*cking stranger from who the hell knows where. If someone bothers you online you either leave, deal with it, or mute them. If someone is harassing you, you call the police.

The mans lucky that the woman didn't put a knife into his back.
    Seems the parents dident do anything or any any intention. As I stated I do not agree with the man but I still have no sympathy for the kid. Old saying, you mess with the bull and you get the horns.