Page 1 of 17
... LastLast
    Deleted

Is rift worth it or not?

So my Guild Decided to have a break until 4.2 and Im starting to get tired of WoW. And I don't want to get to tired of it so I stop play it or anything.
    But here's the thing, I've been thinking of try out the game Rift and wonderd if it's really worth € 49.99?
    It's not like that's a huge amount of money to me but I just don't want to spend money on something I wont use.
    Just tell me what you guys think about it, is it worth it or is it not?

Thank you

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    i played beta, got to level 14. got bored
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    OMG EVERYONE IS BANNED.

Deleted
    Well I managed to get level 42, until I realised I had done all this before and in a better environment..

If you know nothing about & never played an MMO before then Rift Is ok, If you have then rift is boring..

It feels smaller then Wow, the combat seems clumsy the models look a little claymation and the gear is just dull ..Beyond doing rifts which get dull after the 2000th time there's very little to keep experiences MMO'er interested..

It brings absolutely nothing new to the table...just another ye'olde-sword and sorcery/Dungeons and dragons type game
    Last edited by mmoc411c38c086; 2011-04-16 at 04:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    +Soul system
    +Rifts

-Same base gameplay as wow
    -Quests are really REALLY dull

A friend of mine that i've played WoW with for years played the trial. 45 minutes in he realized how much like WoW it was and uninstalled.
    Vol'Jin: ...You be no Warchief of mine!
    Garrosh: *deep breath* I find your lack of faith disturbing.

I like Rift. It is very similar to WoW, but must that be a bad thing? We all seem to love WoW, but still I hear people using "WoW clone!" as a bad thing. My point is, Rift is like WoW, but with all new races and classes, a cool soul system, new zones, better graphics and rifts. That's it for better and worse. I play Rift, and I find the questing tedious, but bearable.

I don't mean to imply that Rift is better than WoW, or the opposite. I'm just saying, Rift is like Wow, but in a different world... kinda.

Quote Originally Posted by Sant View Post
    Well I managed to get level 42, until I realised I had done all this before and in a better environment..

If you know nothing about & never played an MMO before then Rift Is ok, If you have then rift is boring..

It feels smaller then Wow, the combat seems clumsy the models look a little claymation and the gear is just dull ..Beyond doing rifts which get dull after the 2000th time there's very little to keep experiences MMO'er interested..

It brings absolutely nothing new to the table...just another ye'olde-sword and sorcery/Dungeons and dragons type game
    can chalk most of this up to opinion, except for the character models. combat is smooth and the models are actually pretty excellent. though i do wish they had bigger breasts, and for such good looking bodies the armor is pretty drab and conservative, as you say.

I've played Allies of the Ascended for the past 3 weekends, and here are my two cents:
    It's a Fun game. It's almost the same as WoW in terms of combat and questing. I've enjoyed it a lot
    Graphics are pretty good, character models are insanely good. The soul/talent system is pretty fun, but not as complicated as people claim it to be. It actually seemed fairly simple to me. That's the good, now here's the bad. As fun as the game is, there seems to be something missing. From what I saw, there are very few items with flavor text and very few items, such as books, to interact with. You can't interact with most npc's either. Granted, I haven't done much, but unless you have a quest for a character or he is extremely important to the game, you can't do nayhting with them. You can only talk to your class trainer, not one of other classes, unlike WoW. Granted, most of them just mock you for wanting to be their class, but it adds something to WoW that I feel is basent from WoW. And lastly, the Rifts. I didn't find them very fun, as they don't work as they were intended. You are supposed to complete objectives and be challenged, here's what happens; 45 people mob everything that spawns until you get to the boss of the Rift, then he gets mobbed by every player at once, leading to about 20 seconds of boss. This could completely chnage at higher levels, but I'm a little skeptical. All in all, it's fun, but the good parts are fairly the same as WoW. WoW also does auxiliary stuff and background a lot better

It's nothing that great. It's a clunky and unoptimized WoW with shit that spawns in your way while you're doing boring quests.

Quote Originally Posted by taco avenger View Post
    can chalk most of this up to opinion, except for the character models. combat is smooth and the models are actually pretty excellent. though i do wish they had bigger breasts, and for such good looking bodies the armor is pretty drab and conservative, as you say.
    Can chalk most of this up to opinion also.

15+ Year Old Account
    to the OP, honestly, its totally up to you. the problem is, you posted on a "WoW" forums, there fore you will have wow players tell you that it sucks or is a wow clone.

now with that said. if you posted on a Rift forum, you would more then likely get people saying its better then WoW, so either way, its all up to you if you want to try it or not.

Personally, ive been playing it a ton since its release, and i love it. but like i said thats my personal opinion.

yes, i suppose if you find grey trench coats, bulky robes, and chainmail dresses exciting you would be of the opinion that the armor is not dull, drab, or conservative.

calling the models claymation with poor animation just tells me their computer is shitty or they might need glasses though.

Quote Originally Posted by Syce View Post
    to the OP, honestly, its totally up to you. the problem is, you posted on a "WoW" forums, there fore you will have wow players tell you that it sucks or is a wow clone.

now with that said. if you posted on a Rift forum, you would more then likely get people saying its better then WoW, so either way, its all up to you if you want to try it or not.

Personally, ive been playing it a ton since its release, and i love it. but like i said thats my personal opinion.
    Wrong, with the way Rift is going the forums will point blank tell you the game sucks.

Yeah, I tried it and liked it at first, but it's just too much like wow, with a bunch of bugs and clunk. Either it will improve within 6 months or Rift will die, with the countless other supposed WoW killers.

---------- Post added 2011-04-16 at 12:32 PM ----------

Actually, I have a Rift account and have been on the forums. It's nothing but complaining about bugs and such. It's ok though, your buyers remorse is valid. But, you don't have to keep trying to prove Rift is better. You'll come around in 1-6 months.

Its the best MMO I can find for the time being. When GW2 hits I may switch over entirely, but so far Rift has delivered well enough at the endgame that I may play both.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketsurgeon View Post
    Its the best MMO I can find for the time being.
    Let us know when you hit level 50.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Heartnet View Post
    Yeah, I tried it and liked it at first, but it's just too much like wow, with a bunch of bugs and clunk. Either it will improve within 6 months or Rift will die, with the countless other supposed WoW killers.

---------- Post added 2011-04-16 at 12:32 PM ----------

Actually, I have a Rift account and have been on the forums. It's nothing but complaining about bugs and such. It's ok though, your buyers remorse is valid. But, you don't have to keep trying to prove Rift is better. You'll come around in 1-6 months.
    ya but that could be the same about the WoW Forums, complaining also.

look im not trying to defend either game here. i was just saying that more then likely you have Fans of WoW and you have fans of Rift.

t
    hough i do wish they had bigger breasts, and for such good looking bodies the armor is pretty drab and conservative, as you say.
    rofl Found this statement funny with all the claims of the more "realistic feel" to the graphics. The breasts and armor ARE more realistic though still enhanced a bit from rl, then in wow to be sure. I know, I know it's supposed to be fantasy but seems incongruent to strive for a realistic feel and then turn around an make body models that are totally unrealistic, well at least without the addition of a lot of silicone. As for skimpy armor again if you want realistic then the thongs and bikini bras are also laughable. Course again I assume you are not interested nor bothered by creative license in this regard.
    I personally agree that the surface look of the models were nice but as soon as they moved to do anything it also reminded me of claymation characters. I agree with the poster who mentioned if you are a seasoned mmo player you most likely will find yourself bored in no time. It's kinda fun but not fun enough for me to pay for it , when I want different I putter around LOTRO, or DDO or some other free to play mmo. They too grow old after a bit but by the time they do usually wow will have new content or I will have had enough of a break to go back and remember why I play it.

ya but that could be the same about the WoW Forums, complaining also.

look im not trying to defend either game here. i was just saying that more then likely you have Fans of WoW and you have fans of Rift.
    There is way more casual discussion on WoW forums than rift.

Daily there's complaints and "suggestions" of features awfully similar to WoW. The PvP crowd is pretty much gone now.

Clearly you have not bought Rift.

Don't pull ideas from your ass, like the favoritism one.

Quote Originally Posted by Deyadissa View Post
    Let us know when you hit level 50.
    I did, in the rift thread. Something akin to a month ago. Which is why I said the endgame impressed me. In the post that you quoted.