Arrow Hots? How do they work?

I have healed before back in BC as a druid and have recently took up the art of healing again this time as a priest I hit lvl 85 last week and now I have this question arising.

How are Hots being calculated?

These are my 2 specific questions...

Are they being calculated with any buff you have up such as Serenity (25% increase crit) or Archangel (15% healing) or any spell power buff like power torrent or a trinket when the Hot is applied or renewed?

When that buff falls off and you renew the hot does it keep the 15% healing or 25% crit mod because it was renewed? or is it being recalculated when renewed?

Please help hopefully someone else has already done the work so I don't have too...
    Thank you in Advance for your input.

Correct me if I'm going but I'm pretty sure buffs/debuffs get updated with every tick now (maybe just with haste)

I.E if you have a SP buff that is about to run out only the ticks that occurred during the buffs uptime will get the bonus.
    Last edited by Baracuda; 2011-04-18 at 05:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

HoT are calculated with any buff you have when you cast them... If one of those buffs falls off while your HoT is still up the HoT will keep going as if you still had the buff unless you recast it. Same thing goes if you get a buff after you cast the HoT, it will not calculate with the buff until you recast while that buff is up.

Iirc there is an exception to this rule where the HoT updates dynamically due to some buff, but I can't recall exactly what that is atm >< In general though it works as I said above

Ok really simple, your hots are calculated just like a normal heal as far as bonus's go. Any proc, use ability, or cd you have WILL alter your hots. If its a spell power or mastery proc then your mastery bonus or amount healed per tick will increase. Spirit does nothing for them really since its mostly for Mp5 as a healer, but haste is probably the best stat for hots proc / use wise since at certain break points you get an extra tick on your hot for no extra mana. Using hots durin hero for instance will give them 50% spel haste and probably 2-3 more ticks depending on the hot.

As far as refreshing them, if you refresh right before your proc falls off, then yes they will run their duration or untill reapplied with the bonus on them, but refreshing after the buff is gone resets and bonus's they recieved while it was up. Hope this helped

10+ Year Old Account
    as far as I can anwser with common mechanic knowlage:

Hots as well as dots use the stats each time you cast them new.
    SP haste (if applicable) crit etc are all used from that time as you cast it.

"renew" i.e. recast uses the newer values.

There was sime sort of "renew" that kept the original stats like chimera shot preserves a +% damage buff (but not AP scaling)
    MAYBE this applies to hots (with +% healing) as well. At least if you have a skill/talent that states refreshing the old one.

My knowladge so far. And I never touched a priest. So take my conclusion with a bucket of salt.
    Captain Endriel and his fearsome crew!

Puts the "Super" in Supermod Venara's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I was under the impression HoTs as well as DoTs are updated with each tick now. At least that's what I think I've read concerning Shadow Priests a while back.
    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

This is what I have found so far, though it only applies to spell power and hots/dots... I'll keep looking for more info. I swear I remember some long blue post about changes to how hots/dots work, but I can't find it now ><

http://www.wowpedia.org/Spell_power#Over_time_spells

Quote Originally Posted by Venara View Post
    I was under the impression HoTs as well as DoTs are updated with each tick now. At least that's what I think I've read concerning Shadow Priests a while back.
    I think what you are thinking of is in Wrath we used to be able to roll buffs on sw: pain for an entire fight because once we cast it the values never updated because we just refreshed it with mf instead of recasting. They changed it so that every time you cast/refresh a dot/hot it is updated with current values. This is why when get the es buff we have to recast dp and vt to get the bonuses.
    Last edited by Arlee; 2011-04-18 at 07:59 PM.

hots are calculated when they are applied or refreshed in the case of holy if you put up a 25% increased healing renew from PoH chakra and then swap chakra states to the Heal one the renew will still tick with the 25% buff even though it has dropped off of you. However as soon as you heal that person and refresh renew it takes a new calculation based on your current stats meaning you lose the 25% extra healing on renew. The only exception is if there is an outside buff that either increases or decreases healing received such as MS debuffs, Glyphed PW:Barrier, Vampiric Blood, etc. In these cases they will take additional healing without needing a reapplication of the spell (seems fairly obvious but just in case you didn't know.)

Quote Originally Posted by Venara View Post
    To expand on what Arlee wrote, our only DoT that is automatically refreshed is Shadow Word: Pain through ticks of Mind Flay. Devouring Plague and Vampiric Touch run their course until they fall off or are recasted. It is because of this that we're able to abuse Domination on Heroic Nefarion and Therallion's Mirror mastery procs by recasting VT and DP right before the proc/buff falls off and getting 15 (for VT) and 24 (for DP) seconds of increased damage.
    @TwintopTahoe Twintop @ Illidan-US HowToPriest
    Simulate Your Character on Beotorch! https://www.beotorch.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda1337 View Post
    Correct me if I'm going but I'm pretty sure buffs/debuffs get updated with every tick now (maybe just with haste)

I.E if you have a SP buff that is about to run out only the ticks that occurred during the buffs uptime will get the bonus.
    Nothing is updated automatically for Priests, unless you use something that refreshes a spell to it's full duration.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Deleted
    kind of on topic:

if you use HW:serenity to refresh renew, does that renew gain the extra crit chance as though it had been cast with the serenity buff active? does that crit gain outlast the duration of the serenity buff?

http://www.wowwiki.com/Heal_over_time

click on each spell to see how it is calculated

Rejuvenation

(BaseHealing + (1 - RankingPenalty) * (1 + 0.04 * [Empowered Rejuvenation] rank) * (5 + 1 * [Nature's Splendor] rank) * 0.376 * HealingSpellpower) * (1 + 0.02 * [Gift of Nature] rank) * (1 + 0.01 * [Genesis] rank) * (1 + 0.05 * [Improved Rejuvenation] rank) * (1 + 0.02 * [Master Shapeshifter] rank) * (1 + AuraHealingIncrease%).

DoTs, in Wrath at least (or for a part of it), would take whatever buffs you had active at the time, and use those stats for their entire duration, even if they were refreshed by some means (i.e a Warlock refreshing Corruption by casting Haunt). After a point, they changed it so a lot of things didn't work like this, and they infact were updated as soon as you lost the buff. So instead of having a Corruption ticking that would benefit from all these buffs that you had (and now don't have), you would have a Corruption that would initially tick with those buffs active, and then when they would fade, the Corruption would also loose those buffs and do less damage.

In Cataclysm they updated how DoTs work once more. As I said before, some buffs didn't change, even after they reworked how DoTs worked, these typically were DoTs that affected Crit Chance. Now though, any buff, any, will update and use your current stats. So if you have a buff for the first two ticks and then it fades, it's only going to affect those two ticks.

So far as I know HoTs work the same way as DoTs, and so they are always working off of your current stats. If you suddenly gain a certain amount of crit, then it's going to affect any DoTs or HoTs you currently have active.

There is a possibility that I am incorrect of course, though I do remember this being said of DoTs, and one would assume that this then also affects HoTs in the same way too.

Any time a DoT/HoT is applied or refreshed it uses the stats and buffs you have at that moment for its remaining duration. To test this, cast spell /strip then you'll see the effects will not change
    I treat forum trolls like the Black Knight in monty python. Idiots who don't know when to fall over and die. Despite me chopping up every bit of your terrible argument you still think you are right, but i get the satisfacion of kicking a limbless idiot where he deserves to be.

Iv been curious on this subject.
    If you get a trinket proc of for around 1200-1500 and then a Resto druid applies Lifebloom to max stacks.
    Lifeblooms timer is reset every time you cast a Nourish, Healing Touch or Regrowth if you are speced into Empowered Touch.
    So since you never technically reapply the hot, will it keep the spell power effects up on the Lifebloom even after the buff falls off?

Quote Originally Posted by Littlenumbs View Post
    Iv been curious on this subject.
    If you get a trinket proc of for around 1200-1500 and then a Resto druid applies Lifebloom to max stacks.
    Lifeblooms timer is reset every time you cast a Nourish, Healing Touch or Regrowth if you are speced into Empowered Touch.
    So since you never technically reapply the hot, will it keep the spell power effects up on the Lifebloom even after the buff falls off?
    If the spells duration is refreshed, it's spellpower is calculated the moment the refresh happens. That specifically includes if it is refreshed by a talent or another spell.

The same way that Shadow Word: Pain will be reapplied with your current spellpower whenever you refresh it with Mind Flay.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Finally found what I was looking for to clear up the confusion

Dots and hots adjust on the fly now when they're refreshed. There is less reason to try and get everything lined up perfectly for big numbers before you cast the spell. You'll be able to game it a little bit for the initial spell duration, but it won't refresh infinitely with the big numbers.

We have to rebalance the entire game anyway given the magnitude of the Cataclysm changes, so don't worry about being penalized for any old mechanics that may no longer be relevant.
    (fail for forgetting how to blue quote )

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/2...o-see-answered

It's a little bit past halfway down the page if you want to look for it/read the whole thing yourself

I think the "on the fly" part is what was causing some of the confusion in memories. I mean it was posted 8 months ago and in wow terms that is pretty much forever ago