Poll: Bad Idea?

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    First Diablo 3 and now this, they are trying really hard to appear as the most greedy gaming company ever, aren't they?
    This is what happens when you bloat your expenses with 5 games under development INCLUDING yet another mega-MMO project and a contract to help fund another company's projects.

You rarely see this kinda sneaky shady way of "buying gold" in other MMOs as those developers are ONLY developing those games.

triple post* apparently.
    Last edited by illegitimate; 2011-10-10 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    I am pretty sure that buying the pet doesn't mean your buying gold. If I happen to ever want to buy one and it sends me money as well I will be the first to report it here.

To be serious, the Blue Dragon Whelp sold for outrageous gold for many years because of its low drop rate in game. Your basically saying that it should have been free for everyone and buyable from a vendor. The thing about economies is that if something is common it becomes worth less. Since everyone is going to try to make a buck off this pet I doubt you will see it sold for more than a few thousand gold for any amount of time.
    Which would you rather buy for 10 bucks? a pet that EVERY ONE of your toons you create from now until the servers shut down gets, or one pet that only ONE toon can have?

It's pretty clear that this pet is designed to be bought as an item to sell on the AH instead of an item to buy for yourself or a friend. Most people are not going to buy a little pet for 10 bucks for only one toon, they're going to buy it to sell it for (what they hope will be) tons of gold.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by illegitimate View Post
    ffs, get out of here all you doomsayers. no one will ever make a decent amount of gold off this. this is not going to lead to people stockpiling vast amounts of gold who can than buy 378 gear, or any gear for that matter, because they won't be making any money off this worth talking about. this is not the next step in blizzard allowing gear to be bought, the chancesof them doing that are so infinitesimally small that there's no need to ever worry about it. if you are seeing something as trivial as a pet store item being tradable as the final lid in the coffin for wow, you obviously have much bigger issues with the game.
    Funny you say that, everytime someone says that they tend to eat their words. Blizz has been eating allot of theirs lately. Go ahead and tell me that if this goes well blizz will not do this more often and with more pets and mounts than you can think of. For this one pet yes the hype will die down eventually, however what about the next pet or the mount after that? This is a stepping stone and a plummet of a steep slope.

ffs, get out of here all you doomsayers. no one will ever make a decent amount of gold off this. this is not going to lead to people stockpiling vast amounts of gold who can than buy 378 gear, or any gear for that matter, because they won't be making any money off this worth talking about. this is not the next step in blizzard allowing gear to be bought, the chancesof them doing that are so infinitesimally small that there's no need to ever worry about it. if you are seeing something as trivial as a pet store item being tradable as the final lid in the coffin for wow, you obviously have much bigger issues with the game.

AND another thing. how does anyone see this as blizzard being greedy? They are charging the same price for this pet as they have for all of them. No one is forcing you to buy this (how many times must this be said?), therefore blizzard could theoretically not make a cent off this venture. They are creating something due to popular demand, and putting a reasonable dollar sign on it.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    AND another thing. how does anyone see this as blizzard being greedy? They are charging the same price for this pet as they have for all of them. No one is forcing you to buy this (how many times must this be said?), therefore blizzard could theoretically not make a cent off this venture. They are creating something due to popular demand, and putting a reasonable dollar sign on it.
    actually that is untrue, $10 before bought you the pet on every toon you ever had made and will make in the future. This pet is a one time use item that you can use on 1 toon or to sell. So they are not charging the same price by a long shot. It is much more expensive since you get one use for $10 as apposed to unlimited account uses.

The pretend outrage to something so unimportant that likely wouldn't even affect you is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Thornstar View Post
    actually that is untrue, $10 before bought you the pet on every toon you ever had made and will make in the future. This pet is a one time use item that you can use on 1 toon or to sell. So they are not charging the same price by a long shot. It is much more expensive since you get one use for $10 as apposed to unlimited account uses.
    And yet no one is forcing you to buy it. How is that so hard to understand? The cost of it makes no difference to someone who doesn't plan on buying it. There are 6 non-combat pets and 2 mounts in the blizzard store. First mount was available April of 2010. It really doesn't matter how many mounts or pets they make available, you don't have to buy them. The only thing they have ever sold, and in all likelihood will ever sell in their store are non-combat, vanity items.

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    It's not a bad idea. But it's a step onto the slippery slope toward a bad idea.
    Pets in the cash shop was the slope. Right now they are doing double back flips down the slope.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    And yet no one is forcing you to buy it. How is that so hard to understand? The cost of it makes no difference to someone who doesn't plan on buying it. There are 6 non-combat pets and 2 mounts in the blizzard store. First mount was available April of 2010. It really doesn't matter how many mounts or pets they make available, you don't have to buy them. The only thing they have ever sold, and in all likelihood will ever sell in their store are non-combat, vanity items.
    I could sit here and spout off economics and how this will diversely effect the economy of many servers but I'll pass. I doubt it would make the point anyway. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but if you think this will not affect people who do not buy the items in anyway I really think you will be mistaken. When is the last time Blizz introduced a heroic mount like the one in Caverns of Time? When is the last time they made some really cool free pets to give out in game? The number of instance mounts ( not raid achievements) ect. has dropped significantly. With this change to the way the items can be bought and sold do you really think they plan to make free mounts and pets with nearly as much effort as the store ones? Some of the coolest pets and mounts are from the stores. So yes even if you do not but the pets/mounts they will effect all players.

I could sit here and spout off economics and how this will diversely effect the economy of many servers but I'll pass. I doubt it would make the point anyway. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but if you think this will not affect people who do not buy the items in anyway I really think you will be mistaken. When is the last time Blizz introduced a heroic mount like the one in Caverns of Time? When is the last time they made some really cool free pets to give out in game? The number of instance mounts ( not raid achievements) ect. has dropped significantly. With this change to the way the items can be bought and sold do you really think they plan to make free mounts and pets with nearly as much effort as the store ones? Some of the coolest pets and mounts are from the stores. So yes even if you do not but the pets/mounts they will effect all players.
    You want to talk economics? Ok, lets go. There is an infinite supply of this item. And anyone can go and buy one. There is no skill involved in obtaining this item. You either buy it with real money or in-game money. This is not going to have an effect on the economy. At all. It's not going to be a money sink. It's not going to be a way for people with a heap of cash to make in-game gold, because anyone with $10 and half a brain could do the same thing. Unless someone wants to try and control the market for this item, you will not see people making gold off this. In any case, of someone did manage to monopolise this item people would simply buy it themselves if they really wanted it.

With Cataclysm they upped the pet collecting achievements from 100 to 150. That is a ton of pets for people who want them to go and collect. As for non-achievement mounts, you really want to complain about a lack of them? Mounts are nearly always a sign of prestige, an obvious symbol of your prowess in a certain aspect of the game.

In short, both mounts and pets do not affect combat based gameplay, which is what this game is based around. So if you want to complain about blizzard ruining the game with non-combat pets, you're fresh out of luck, because it doesn't work.

Deleted
    Feel free to look at the other posts I made explaining my reasoning. Players are not the ones who win with this at all. The only one who does is Blizz/Activision
    Yes, they will most likely make more money, so what?
    Players like myself dosent like to spend irl cash on pets / mounts, this is a cool way to get them via in-game grind.
    I dont see how this can be bad since you're just trading gold to another player, its not fresh.
    Last edited by mmoce107d4ab3d; 2011-10-10 at 09:50 PM.

I'm sorry, do you not remember that Firelands drops 2 mounts? Alysrazor has a low chance to drop one, and there's a guaranteed drop off H Ragnaros. Not to mention the mount you get for opening up all the dailies in the Molten Front, which is quite nice looking and available to non-raiders as well. We also get the Tarecgosa pet that's guild-wide. Of course, you need to be a decent raiding guild to get it, but it's a nice prize as that little dragon is exceptionally cute. I don't think any of these mounts (or pet) were rushed into the game. Sure, they borrowed the models of Anzu and Alysrazor, but I'd happily ride around on those any day.

Don't forget, we've also got 4.3 coming up with the new Darkmoon Faire which will probably introduce new mounts and pets that are pretty easy to get for the non-raiding collector. Unless your major gripe is the lack of mounts in 5-man heroics, in which I will point you to Stonecore, with the Vitreous Stone Drake, and Vortex Pinnacle, with Drake of the North Wind. Yes, both are rare drops and not guaranteed like the Bronze Drake was (provided you made the speed run), but I've seen them both drop on 2-3 of my toons. Heck, there's even the holiday bosses that will net you the Brewfest Ram, Brewfest Kodo, Headless Horseman's Mount, and the Big Love Rocket - all easy to get provided Lady Luck is on your side.

Anyway, OT, while I do like the fact that it's tradeable, it kind of sucks that it's still $10 for a one time use pet while all the other pets are the same price and account-wide. I'd be more comfortable with this if it was like $2-3, $5 max. I might buy one for my main anyway, or see how they end up selling gold-wise.

It would work better, imo, if they had 2 versions of it: A non-tradeable account wide one for $10, like the other pets, and the tradeable version for $5 or $10 or whatever. That way people can choose if they'd rather keep it to themselves across all toons, or try their luck on the AH with the tradeable option.
    I am your Blood Queen. You must submit.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    You want to talk economics? Ok, lets go. There is an infinite supply of this item. And anyone can go and buy one. There is no skill involved in obtaining this item. You either buy it with real money or in-game money. This is not going to have an effect on the economy. At all. It's not going to be a money sink. It's not going to be a way for people with a heap of cash to make in-game gold, because anyone with $10 and half a brain could do the same thing. Unless someone wants to try and control the market for this item, you will not see people making gold off this. In any case, of someone did manage to monopolise this item people would simply buy it themselves if they really wanted it.

With Cataclysm they upped the pet collecting achievements from 100 to 150. That is a ton of pets for people who want them to go and collect. As for non-achievement mounts, you really want to complain about a lack of them? Mounts are nearly always a sign of prestige, an obvious symbol of your prowess in a certain aspect of the game.

In short, both mounts and pets do not affect combat based gameplay, which is what this game is based around. So if you want to complain about blizzard ruining the game with non-combat pets, you're fresh out of luck, because it doesn't work.
    first off I see no economic talk at all in your post, Well besides infinite supply. You say that people will not make money off this item, yet then say unless they try and control the market. The two statements do not seem to be adding up. You say no one can make money but then state how they could make money?

The only reason I brought up the mounts and pets was because it affected how many were released in game. If this idea is popular enough it could affect gameplay. I mean they could stop developing bosses and focus more on pets and mounts if they sell well enough. I am not claiming this will for sure be the case but working in absolutes is not a good idea. So even if unlikely my idea could happen. Also logically since blizzard has now done a few things they swore to never do, they could in turn start selling even more in the store. I mean they could sell gear in the store, but make better gear available in raids. Even if unlikely you can not say it is not a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    First Diablo 3 and now this, they are trying really hard to appear as the most greedy gaming company ever, aren't they?
    being a partner with Activison, any company can become greedy.
    i don't agree with online transactions when there is a subscription fee to a game.
    Last edited by Elian; 2011-10-10 at 10:02 PM.

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't like it...

but then again people are already selling codes for the other pets for RL $$$

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gneisha View Post
    I'm sorry, do you not remember that Firelands drops 2 mounts? Alysrazor has a low chance to drop one, and there's a guaranteed drop off H Ragnaros. Not to mention the mount you get for opening up all the dailies in the Molten Front, which is quite nice looking and available to non-raiders as well. We also get the Tarecgosa pet that's guild-wide. Of course, you need to be a decent raiding guild to get it, but it's a nice prize as that little dragon is exceptionally cute. I don't think any of these mounts (or pet) were rushed into the game. Sure, they borrowed the models of Anzu and Alysrazor, but I'd happily ride around on those any day.

Don't forget, we've also got 4.3 coming up with the new Darkmoon Faire which will probably introduce new mounts and pets that are pretty easy to get for the non-raiding collector. Unless your major gripe is the lack of mounts in 5-man heroics, in which I will point you to Stonecore, with the Vitreous Stone Drake, and Vortex Pinnacle, with Drake of the North Wind. Yes, both are rare drops and not guaranteed like the Bronze Drake was (provided you made the speed run), but I've seen them both drop on 2-3 of my toons. Heck, there's even the holiday bosses that will net you the Brewfest Ram, Brewfest Kodo, Headless Horseman's Mount, and the Big Love Rocket - all easy to get provided Lady Luck is on your side.

Anyway, OT, while I do like the fact that it's tradeable, it kind of sucks that it's still $10 for a one time use pet while all the other pets are the same price and account-wide. I'd be more comfortable with this if it was like $2-3, $5 max. I might buy one for my main anyway, or see how they end up selling gold-wise.

It would work better, imo, if they had 2 versions of it: A non-tradeable account wide one for $10, like the other pets, and the tradeable version for $5 or $10 or whatever. That way people can choose if they'd rather keep it to themselves across all toons, or try their luck on the AH with the tradeable option.
    first point as stated in my post was non raid mounts from achievements.

Darkmoon faire as of now has not had any leaked mounts or pets that i have seen yet so I can not comment on that at all. There are a few rare (2-3%)drop dragons from 5 man Heroics yes which are only recolors of raid mounts anyway, but all the other mounts you have listed are anything but new. they are all pretty old models made years ago.

People again making the huge leap from them selling a silly pet to ZOMGNEXTWILLBECASHEPIX!!11

Unless you are on a high pop server (and even then.. ) you are not gonna be selling these by the barrowload ^^ Along with competition and the fact the market will flood then stabilize at a reasonable amount - it's just gonna be a crappy way to make any gold from wow.

People were suggesting earlier that gold sellers will trade in these... I can't see it meself, paying money for a pet to sell for wow gold that you can in turn sell that gold back for RL cash when you can keylog or bot for free? Makes no sense.

I won't be buying one and I will be laughing at people who pay 10$ for it and discover the AH price to be something like 500g.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...