Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Any help on maximising Spellweave on Madness?

Hey guys, After a lot of different fights on Madness with every single spec(!) I still have no clue on the mechanics of Spellweave and am basically looking for a bit of help with it. So far I understand that it only procs from Aoe abilities, is there any details on how this comes about; Is it on direct damage, tick damage (Shadowflame, SB-Seed- corruption ticks, Hellfire etc etc.)? Can it also be triggered from manually multidotting?

All I notice is at the end of the fight, the majority of classes have between 8-12% overall damage coming from Spellweave where I generally have between 4-5% despite me still being in the top 3 in total damage done.

So is there any clarification on this ability and general help as to maximising its procs/use?

Cheers
    Zee
    Last edited by mmoc9e884f62e3; 2012-01-30 at 11:57 AM.

Im pretty sure its not only from aoe. On my druid when i mangled and done some other single target sbilities ive sudenly saw numbers flying around in the screen, so either its different for mellee or its not only on aoe, but rather on all abilities. Sorry if this wasnt the most helpfull reply ^^'

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure if different on the lfr, but on lfr it is not only aoe. I have often been purely single targetting and had a big percent of my damage from spellweave. No idea how it work, but guessing rng from any ability.

It should procc from any form of damage. But since the spellweave effect itself deals aoe dmge it will deal more dmge per procc when it hits multiple targets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Single target can proc spell weave, if you've watched some of the HM madness kills, you can see that some leave on blood alive for as long as they can, simply for casters to put a dot on for procs.

Hellfire does NOT proc spellweave. RoF does, and I believe SoC does too. I hear that shadowflame does to, but have no proof myself tbh, I forget to see if it actually procs when I use it because I get too focused trying to drop RoF in time to actually get some procs before the stupid melee kill them in two hits on normal.

I compared 2 of our DW kills. On the older one I did not multi-dot and got about 30% higher Spellweave proccs then on the other fight where I multidotted.
    Both fights were Destro specced.

Deleted
    Use BoA instead of BoD for more spellweave procs, form what i've seen on WoL, top locks has near 0% BoD uptime on this fight.

For maxing DPS on Madness, play affliction or Destro unless peoples be needing a 10% SP buff.

The key is multidotting everything all the time. Spellweave is a large radius cleave with a chance to proc off every DoT tick, single target spell, and SoC/RoF. Using BoA over BoD generally increases spellweave procs, but your success with it depends on your capability to keep it up while dpsing and DoTing everything else too. Glyphing BoA over UA as affliction for H Madness and H Warmaster is totally viable for multidotting's sake.

Tips for increasing Spellweave proccing:
    SB: SoC the bloods on spawn as affliction, so save SB for that. Follow this up with Shadowflame (save that too) and tab DoTing UA to every blood. If the bloods are still up after you tab DoT, use RoF and keep Shadowflame on CD

Apply DoTs to the Mutated Corruption BEFORE CoE (if you're on CoE duty), as a single Spellweave proc will outdo the +8% from CoE during those few seconds.

Have the tank keep the bloods near the Mutated Corruption so that Spellweave cleaves to the Corruption

DoT up tentacles as you jump by them (if you do a Green -> Red -> Yellow strat). This is only viable if your raid doesn't push the tentacle to 70% before the Corruption dies.

As Destro, keep all three DoTs up on the BoH target along with BoH ofc

On most LFR groups, it takes ~2mins to clear a platform, so time 3 min haste CDs accordingly so that you still have EPIC HASTE when you drop yellow. EPIC HASTE = EPIC DOTS = EPIC SPELLWEAVE

Tab Corruption/UA the Blisterings on spawn. Spellweave > your nuke

Deleted
    i too was wondering this, as firemages consistently do double the amount of spellweave hits than me.

The facts from the tooltip:
    Spellweave does not hit your current target
    Spellweave only hits something that is in 6yd range

So i was trying to stand close to the arm, while nuking the corruption (primary target, ofc i am multi dotting as i am running affli).
    But it didn't seem to change much, so i am a bit confused as well.

Post above seems like nice tips, basically dot everything for more procs.... but i got a feeling spreading a combustion will yield enormous amount of procs when we have tools with cast + travel time (SoC) Slow ticks (RoF) or , well, Hellfire should be ok

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eiffeltower View Post
    The facts from the tooltip:
    Spellweave does not hit your current target
    Pretty damn useful tip, I have somehow missed that!

As to other replies, thank you very much - lots of nice help here, will have to make a list to have by me when I next do this on my lock

#Edit.... HANG ON. If this is true, Why aren't people exploiting this and just full time casting on their focus with no main target?! Unless they are...
    Last edited by mmoc9e884f62e3; 2012-01-30 at 04:37 PM.

Deleted
    I did use Rain of Fire as affliction in our heroic madness kill. Yes I know it doesn't do a good damage, but that was not the point, point was to make alot of spellweave.
    Shadowflame on CD and RoF => win. Also I tried to have SB:SoC ready for our Spellweave action.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-rx...=10160&e=10280

people don't use focus macros because it acts like shadow priest mind sear...when you proc spellweave it pulses an air around the target that the damaging spell that procced it hit, not around your current target at the time. that being said, a majority of the people who have more spellweave procs than you got them from bloods and tentacles on te head phase most likely. as long as they're dying quickly you aren't doing anything wrong, it just means their aoe hits more frequently than yours.

that being said, each target your spells hit has an individual chance to proc spellweave, and yes shadowflame does proc it.

when bloods are about to spawn I'll start a rain of fire over where they are spawning an after the second tick I'll shadowfury them and use the GCD to move towards them to shadowflame and then rain of fire until they are dead. A few weeks ago I surprised myself with a top 20 madness parse just because our blood/tentacle dps was low that week and I managed to exploit it to the fullest with bane of havoc, jut to give you an idea of how finicky someones overall spellweave damage can mean so little or so much depending on the rest of your dps and how quickly they aoe as well. From a perspective of the fight overall spellweave means very little since it hardly contributes to your arm/wing tentacle dps and corruption dps.

I suppose the thing is, unless you're doing heroic mode madness why do you care so much about spellweave? The largest portion of it is derived from bloods, which as someone else stated die in about ~2s flat from melee and various cleaves. Just throw a shadowflame on them, and that'll give you a few hundred k of spellweave proc for free (but it's just meter padding, like most of the classes who aoe bloods do).

Just do your rotation as usual, multidot targets with bane up (if destro), and throw in a shadowflame as soon as they spawn. Spellweave should make up 8-10% of your overall dps.

99% of people with high spellweave damage (20%+ range) are just abusing the aoe mechanics of the bloods to get big numbers, it's not needed by any means.

Shadowflame, shadowfury, and just spam fel flame from there (assuming normal 10 here, they die too fast for Rof to tick even once)

Quote Originally Posted by Un0 View Post
    Shadowflame, shadowfury, and just spam fel flame from there (assuming normal 10 here, they die too fast for Rof to tick even once)
    because each individual hit of our spells has a chance to proc it felflame is a horrible choice because it only hits one target instead of all of them and thus gives you a muuuuch lower chance to proc it. if they die too fast to get a rain of fire tick just stop from there and go back to your primary target.

It is a guaranteed hit, therefore there is no "chance to proc it" as you say. I can agree that it might be less optimal than a aoe move but it will on each spellcast/melee hit proc spellweave, thus unless almost all the adds are dead it will give you more dps from spamming fel flame than gooing back to primary target, given of course that the adds have not yet reached the boss. If they and you are close enough to the boss then you should obviously proceed with a normal rotation on the primary target.

It is a guaranteed hit, therefore there is no "chance to proc it" as you say. I can agree that it might be less optimal than a aoe move but it will on each spellcast/melee hit proc spellweave, thus unless almost all the adds are dead it will give you more dps from spamming fel flame than gooing back to primary target, given of course that the adds have not yet reached the boss. If they and you are close enough to the boss then you should obviously proceed with a normal rotation on the primary target.
    http://www.wowhead.com/spell=106040

It has a 35% chance to proc, not a 100%. Easily confirmable.

Quote Originally Posted by Yekul View Post
    99% of people with high spellweave damage (20%+ range) are just abusing the aoe mechanics of the bloods to get big numbers, it's not needed by any means.
    Every time you proc a spellweave from bloods it's hitting the arm/wing tentacle as well. In the first week or two of Deathwing our group had horrible DPS (we didn't do PTR) and we kept bloods alive for our fire mage to AOE DoT for massive tentacle damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichimarunico View Post
    Every time you proc a spellweave from bloods it's hitting the arm/wing tentacle as well. In the first week or two of Deathwing our group had horrible DPS (we didn't do PTR) and we kept bloods alive for our fire mage to AOE DoT for massive tentacle damage.
    Really? Wow our group has fairly horrible DPS and still never needed to do this. Our bloods are dead before their first regen tick, usually without even reaching the boss arm tentacle so never really noticed this. Always assumed the spell was quite small and tight AoE, shows me for assuming! Thought it was only 6 yards or something, however waiting for patch before I can log in yet.

Something else to add - if you spend two GCDs casting fel flame that results in two chances to proc spellweave. In those two GCDs you could have gotten at least one RoF tick on them which would be at least 6 chances to proc spellweave. I further fail to see your logic.