Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Question Continuous subscription since launch; Do people really do this?

Just something I've been thinking about recently. I'm sure there are some people who have never canceled their subscription, not even once. I've been playing WoW on and off for the past few years, canceling and resubscribing each time I felt like it. However, I can not even imagine being continuously subscribed to WoW, especially for 7 straight years (since launch). Why would people do this? Has there not been a single month in the past few years that those people haven't played WoW?
    I play tons of different PC games, and I'd get pretty sick of playing the same one every month for years and years on end without a break every here and there. Will those people remain subscribed till the end of time? I mean, to me that just doesn't make any sense. Even if you're a hardcore player, there has to be at least *some* point in time that you want to take a break and cancel for a month to try other games.
    Then I hear of people who don't actively play, but stay subscribed "just in case" they ever feel like playing. Not only is that a waste of money, but it also reminds me of some old people (grandmas and grandpas) who are still subscribed and pay monthly fees for their old AOL dial-up accounts just in case they might want to use them... I actually know people who did this. Seriously baffles me.
    Last edited by JeeroyLenkins; 2012-02-26 at 09:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have. I am not tired of WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well not exactly from launch but from patch 1.10 i,ve been subscribed since no breaks no quitting constantly subscribed .yes i may of gone and played others but still subbed and returned.think the most i was away was a few days for swtor and that was about it.

It may seem strange to you but to me the game is still enjoyable even after 7 years .
    Faith Manages

I know OF people who have, but don't know any personally. To have played from the beginning, nonstop, and still enjoy it? That's a major fanboy right there.

10+ Year Old Account
    I started right at the end of classic, I've never stopped my sub since then, and have enjoyed the game ever since, if anything, I think the game is getting better every expansion.

When a new game comes around, I play it alongside WoW, maybe take a day off here and now to play it but I don't cancel my sub over it.

Are you could just enjoy it i don't know man.

Quote Originally Posted by senshu View Post
    I know OF people who have, but don't know any personally. To have played from the beginning, nonstop, and still enjoy it? That's a major fanboy right there.
    Yes. Also, even if someone is subscribed for just the past few years (let's say since WotLK was released) without a single break. Even that makes no sense to me.

Never had more than a fortnight away from wow (and that was holidays). Always too much to do. Even now when i don't raid anymore and am bored with the dungeons i find something to do.
    Spicie-Dk-85 Belgarian-Lock-84 Kazarth-Retardin-85 Jalax-Mage-85 Gord-Rogue-85 Krynn-Druid-83 Shray-warrior-85 Scara-Shaman-85 Castrielle-Spriest-85 Tegne-Huntard-85 Laquiel-DK-85 Aminae-HPriest-85 Wulfrica-hunter-85 Bogdrop-Holy-cow-57
    All these 85's to pay for, no wonder I am always skint.

10+ Year Old Account
    am i supposed to not be subbed for wow? i dont get it. here since november 16, 2005, minus the week i was banned and had to buy a brand new account.

Quote Originally Posted by JeeroyLenkins View Post
    Just something I've been thinking about recently. I'm sure there are some people who have never canceled their subscription, not even once.
    Account 1: created 4 December 2004. Active the entire time. Played the entire time.
    Account 2: created 5 December 2007. Active the entire time. Played the entire time.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've had a 6 month sub since I started in vanilla. Except for the first free month I got. So yea, people are doing "this".
    "If you are going to do something, including being an alcoholic, don't half-ass it. /Cheers." - Vezrah, 2012

10+ Year Old Account
    I have never canceled my subscription and still actively play and can never remember a time I was bored enough to decide to cancel and I also have never had any problems playing other games along side of WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    Account 1: created 4 December 2004. Active the entire time. Played the entire time.
    Account 2: created 5 December 2007. Active the entire time. Played the entire time.
    So, you spent $2070 on subscription costs? You have my sympathy.

Deleted
    I have subbed continuously since I started, which is not since launch, but is still going on 4-5 years now. That's not to say I played every month. Some months I didn't play at all, in the start, I barely logged on once a week for an hour of levelling. It took me over a year to hit max level because of how little I played. Cancelling my sub sounds like a pain and a hassle to me. I want the freedom to play as and when I fancy without having to go to the website and re-enable, yes, I'm quite lazy in that respect.... the monthly fee is absolutely nothing in comparison to my sum outgoings per month. I'm not saying that to sound rich or conceited, but merely to say... for some people, it really doesn't matter to them financially if you have paid for something you haven't used that month so there's no reason to put a subscription on hold even if you're taking a break.

Not because of some warped sense of loyalty, but because it's a product I want to have the freedom to use.. I see no reason to judge people based on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Emane View Post
    I've had a 6 month sub since I started in vanilla. Except for the first free month I got. So yea, people are doing "this".
    That we are, been in it since original beta in 2004

10+ Year Old Account
    Neally continous...i had 1 month off last september- october to play anyother game and then similar a few years ago i had a week or so off :S

I have had a continuous sub from early BC ^^ I know thats not from Launch, but it's still a fair long haul.

I still very much enjoy raiding in this game

Deleted
    I 've been playing since TBC and I haven't cancelled my sub since then. There were times I would play for a few hours every day and time I would play for an hour each week. Either way, I had to pay for every month and I don't regret it

Quote Originally Posted by JeeroyLenkins View Post
    So, you spent $2070 on subscription costs? You have my sympathy.
    I don't need your sympathy. $2070 is damn cheap entertainment considering the alternatives.

~$300 per year won't buy much. ~$5.70 per week? Really, what else could I spend so little on and get so much fun and enjoyment from? Yes, I do still enjoy playing.

Been subbed since about a moth after the game went live, and actively enjoying myself for part or all of every month of it since then. Just because I am subbed does not prevent me from playing other games in the mean time (curse you steam sales), it's simply a matter of managing your time.