View Poll Results: Shaolin Monk Vs. MMA fighter. Who would win?

Voters
469. This poll is closed
  • Shaolin Monk

318 67.80%
  • MMA Fighter

151 32.20%
Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Chi is amazing and the knowledge/ability to be able to regulate it has several benefits ranging from better mental+physical discipline, fitness and health overall. The first step is understanding as always, and that is probably the biggest barrier. It IS a real thing for sure even though many terms used in Chi study simply don't have direct english translations.

It's uses in actual fighting? Highly debatable and extremely vague at best, only demonstrations and no known records of it being super-benefitial in a real fight. Not records that can be verified anyway. Don't expect to take down opponents with Chi blasts.

The same applies to Shaolin fighting. No known records of fights involving these people, no proof of how effective their style is against other fighters, especially an MMA fighter. Monks can breakdance, do flips, get hit by poles and smash all the cinderblocks they want, it's not helping them prove they are the best fighters.
    As for MMA fighters on the other hand, the world has actually seen then fight. You figure out the rest.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-02-28 at 11:12 PM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Quote Originally Posted by Pandapuncher View Post
    I'm sorry Shaolin monks do not understand weakness, they train ever inch of their head
    what did i just read?
    if you do not understand weakness, how can you overcome it?
    im sure you can train a lot of things, but as it stands you can do a great many things, but just as your eyes can be squashed, your skull wich is essentially a big bony hollow sphere on top of a flexible pole can be crushed. no amount of training can prevents this.
    what you can do however is train extensively to prevent such situations from occuring. lesson one: dont post retarded shit on the interwebs. you dont see the monks doing it. you may now guess why

Nat Geo doc on Shaolin Monks:

Part1:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6Z-e...eature=related
    Part2:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKE5r...eature=related
    Part3:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwh8c...eature=related
    Part4:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItJyM...eature=related
    Part5:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2J9d...eature=related

Those people live and breath training 24/7 (They eat, sleep and train.), how could a MMA beat that? He starts to train at what age? Not as young as these monks I suppose.

I would say it would be an interesting fight, a fight we'll never witness because Shaolin Monks don't fight for show.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    There is a reason that we have weight classes in competitions. Given equal skill, a bigger, stronger fighter will always win.
    In competitions where rules prevent me from utilizing my style to the fullest, yes you are correct.

In real world fighting, my nukite strike to your carotid artery doesn't care how much you weigh. My Sokusen kick to the side of your knee in fact becomes easier the more you weigh. My shoken punch to your Vagus nerve, which stops the heart in one blow, doesn't care either.

Quote Originally Posted by Malkaedus View Post
    In competitions where rules prevent me from utilizing my style to the fullest, yes you are correct.

In real world fighting, my nukite strike to your carotid artery doesn't care how much you weigh. My Sokusen kick to the side of your knee in fact becomes easier the more you weigh. My shoken punch to your Vagus nerve, which stops the heart in one blow, doesn't care either.
    Given equal skill still applies. If you and I know all those same moves and can use them with equal skill and I have a few pounds on you, eventually I will wear you down.

I can't even believe that thinks like these are seriously discussed. A top-of-line MMA fighter is a professional, ultimately talented, high-end athlete working on the limits of human ability and trains much harder and more effectively than any shaolin monk in existence, in addition they simply have more hands-on experience and access to newest and best training methods. A shaolin monk would never stand a chance. And its not like it wasn't tried — there are reports of some MMA people visiting the temple and doing friendly sparring, with rather clear results. And these were *not* top-end people.

Sure, Shaolin monks have some nice circus tricks; alas, they are totally useless in an actual fight. They simply don't have the stamina and the power of a high-end MMA athlete. Yes, they have body conditioning — but its rather irrelevant in a fight with someone who hits like a truck, with speed and precision.

My sources: years of martial-arts experience, and no I do no MMA, I actually do a Shaolin-related style ^^

This is the point where everyone in the discussion becomes god-of-war. I'm not sure how good you truly are however that shit won't work against a competent fighter. Nobody is going to let you jab at their throats, and anyone with half a brain that knows they are in a fight will bend their knee or side-step to avoid being caught in the wrong way

I don't really care what you call me, you can even call me cold...

Quote Originally Posted by mafao View Post
    I can't even believe that thinks like these are seriously discussed. A top-of-line MMA fighter is a professional, ultimately talented, high-end athlete working on the limits of human ability and trains much harder and more effectively than any shaolin monk in existence, in addition they simply have more hands-on experience and access to newest and best training methods. A shaolin monk would never stand a chance. And its not like it wasn't tried — there are reports of some MMA people visiting the temple and doing friendly sparring, with rather clear results. And these were *not* top-end people.

Sure, Shaolin monks have some nice circus tricks; alas, they are totally useless in an actual fight. They simply don't have the stamina and the power of a high-end MMA athlete. Yes, they have body conditioning — but its rather irrelevant in a fight with someone who hits like a truck, with speed and precision.

My sources: years of martial-arts experience, and no I do no MMA, I actually do a Shaolin-related style ^^
    Any sources on those MMAs defeating Shaolins? And MMAs train more than Shaolin Monks? Please check those vids I linked acouple of post up^ Shaolin Monks eat, train and sleep. Nothing else.

*EDIT* In a free fight that is. Not a caged fight with rules.
    Last edited by Noxina; 2012-02-28 at 11:20 PM.
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Godshot View Post
    This is the point where everyone in the discussion becomes god-of-war. I'm not sure how good you truly are however that shit won't work against a competent fighter. Nobody is going to let you jab at their throats, and anyone with half a brain that knows they are in a fight will bend their knee or side-step to avoid being caught in the wrong way

LOL, but you can pull them off on the 12 year old down the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Nonslid View Post
    Any sources on those MMAs defeating Shaolins? And MMAs train more than Shaolin Monks? Please check those vids I linked acouple of post up^ Shaolin Monks eat, train and sleep. Nothing else.

*EDIT* In a free fight that is. Not a caged fight with rules.
    More training =/= better training.

Quote Originally Posted by Nonslid View Post
    I'm not saying monks don't train, but their methods aren't meant for street fighting... GSP has a youtube channel which shows his workouts and this guy was in the gym every day doing the most up to date training methods up until his injury, the man injects himself with shark cartilage gods sakes the point here i'm trying to make is that MMA fighters aren't exactly slacking on the training.

yeah and it tooootaly dont see obvious telephone punch/kick shit like that coming. i mean please? striking my cartroid artery when my guard is up and chin is tucked in? are you dalsim?
    i have been kicked a few thousand times during kickboxing. do you really think noone ever accidentially kicked my in the place you are aiming for? i can still walk and run ok.
    and for this vagus nerve thing. boy i dont even know what to say anymore. this has gotten too bizzare.
    Last edited by Runenwächter; 2012-02-28 at 11:24 PM.

Have you actually ever done some sparring with a trained partner? Do you really think the people will just stand there and let them execute your unwieldy techniques? Strikes which rely on hitting a precise point at a precise angle do not work that well in actual combat. Hell, its already a great challenge to hit a moving opponent in the head, and its ten times as difficult to hit him in a way which would actually show some effect.

And besides: have you ever experienced a quickness and power of a MMA-trained person; or even a more classical boxer? This is quite literally like getting hit by a car.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Monk.

MMA is staged, just like the WWF is. I'm sure most of them wouldn't know what to do if someone dumped the script and actually started fighting
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Deleted
    Is it just me or is this thread slowly but surely turning into a pissing contest for kids with too much ego that took a few boxing classes?

Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    Given equal skill still applies. If you and I know all those same moves and can use them with equal skill and I have a few pounds on you, eventually I will wear you down.
    Oh like a stalemate fight where no one lands a blow the entire time? Hmmm, perhaps. I'm actually more inclined to believe the bigger guys will wear out faster from my experience in fights. But hey anything can happen.

That is probably the biggest messup in fighting movies: that a fight lasts forever. From fights I have witnessed, and participated in, fights end within seconds.

Important thing to remember guys, is that every style has it's strengths and weaknesses. Understanding your style's weakness and adapting during a fight accordingly is what seperates the good from the great. It really comes down to the individual.

10+ Year Old Account
    if both were equal in physically similar or identical and outside the octagon then i'd have to go with the monk. if in the octagon then i'd go with the mma fighter.

UFC isn't staged i've got friends who have competed before and I've been sparring partners with them... The fights and the training are very real.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Commissarr View Post
    Is it just me or is this thread slowly but surely turning into a pissing contest for kids with too much ego that took a few boxing classes?
    No, for the mystical Monks maybe, they have no facts.

In a street fight, wouldn't even go for "vagus nerve strikes", or other shit punches. Maybe an elbow or knee, but I'm going take down first. Fucking striking in a street fight, looks good, not very effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Godshot View Post
    I'm not saying monks don't train, but their methods aren't meant for street fighting... GSP has a youtube channel which shows his workouts and this guy was in the gym every day doing the most up to date training methods up until his injury, the man injects himself with shark cartilage gods sakes the point here i'm trying to make is that MMA fighters aren't exactly slacking on the training.
    Of course MMA fighters dont slack on training, they do this as a living, that demands most of the day as training.

And shaolin dont train for street fight? Well, you're kinda right, but they train for self defence and every move they train 1000 times. (Please watch those Nat Geo vids I posted earlier). They can train a attack streak (dunno how to say it in English) that last 40 seconds total, then do that for 4 hours straight. They start their day 4o'clock in the morning by running 1000 meter uphill in 20minutes then climb down again on all four.

Don't underestimate a shaolins training, I don't underestimate a proffesional MMA fighters training either.

And as I said earlier: A free fight between a Shaolin Monk and a MMA fighter would be realy interesting.

And this "discussion" will never end, because no one realy know how a Shaolin Monk vs. MMA fighter would be with no rules, because it will never happen (unless a MMA fighter attacks a Shaolin Monk on the street and wants to kill him I guess.)

MA fighters have a bunch of rules they have to adhere to. On the other-hand, Kung Fu was designed for fighting to the death with no rules.

p.s. Which do you think navy seal train?