Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Diablo virgin looking for advice

'ello!
    I've played WoW since Vanilla, and I have been stuck ever since. Watching Blizzcon with a friend (who loves Diablo) I was kinda meh about the Diablo stuff, and didn't pay that much attention to it.
    Anyhow, since I bought the annual pass I'm getting D3 for free, so I'm thinking about giving it a try. I tried D2 like 5 minutes, didn't like it at all. I think it was the hack n' slash thing I didn't like.
    But my question is, what class should I try? I've played end-game on every class in WoW, so don't pull me the "go this class if you played X in WoW".
    Also, is there any "D3 guide for a WoW player" thats worth reading?
    Thanks alot .)

As the gameplay is absolutely nothing like WoW at all, play what sounds the most fun to you. I'm dead serious.

You may have played every WoW class at end-game, but surely you've one or two favourites? Knowing those might help you to choose a class.

As a rough guide .. if you want ranged, go Wizard, Demon Hunter or Witch Doctor. If you want melee, then Monk or Barbarian. More than that, it's largely down to choice. Each class has a variety of builds which can greatly change the feel of the class. For instance, take the barbarian - you can create a single target heavy nuker, an AOE shredder, someone who can take a pounding, etc.
    Last edited by Aliessil; 2012-05-07 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliessil View Post
    You may have played every WoW class at end-game, but surely you've one or two favourites? Knowing those might help you to choose a class.
    Well, all the healing classes, so seems like a dead end..

Quote Originally Posted by pwntus95 View Post
    I think it was the hack n' slash thing I didn't like.
    Then you probably wont enjoy the game, as thats what the whole premise of the game is.

It is NOTHING like WoW at all.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://reveal.diablo3.com/en_US/

Look through all the classes here

It shows gameplay and such so It shouldn't be too hard to pick

A lot of people talk about what they're going to "main" in Diablo 3, but the truth is, Diablo and similar games have pretty low bars when it comes to swapping where your focus is. In Diablo 3 there is no bind on equip equipment and a shared stash. If you decide a class isn't for you? Ditch it, pick up some of those pretties you've put in your stash and play it again.

Quote Originally Posted by -Alcatraz- View Post
    http://reveal.diablo3.com/en_US/

Look through all the classes here

It shows gameplay and such so It shouldn't be too hard to pick
    looks like the barb is the funniest class.. any advice or shall i just play around with it on the 15th?

looks like the barb is the funniest class.. any advice or shall i just play around with it on the 15th?
    Funniest or funnest? Funniest goes to the witch doctor, which is the class I'll be playing, and making my build take the most hilarious skill+rune combos for as long as is possible! :P
    Last edited by grisset; 2012-05-07 at 09:07 PM. Reason: broken smiley

Play around. Best advice right there. I played D2 a while back, but it doesn't matter because most of the classes are new, all the classes are completely revamped, etc. I had a chance to play the beta weekend, and I enjoyed the Demon Hunter. I'd try to make one of each, play until the first boss. That'll give you a good idea what they're like.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it was the hack n' slash thing I didn't like.
    Then i doubt D3 is for you, it's basically what you do :P

My advice if you end up getting it is, just pick a class you think looks fun. Then play it like you want to. There likely isn't going to be a "must have" build or anything like in WoW.
    Pick spells etc that you like, then go ahead and slaughter endless waves of mobs ^_^

Personally, I found the witch doctor the most interesting, wizard close second. but I probably ha the most fun with the barbarian, seeing all those mobs fly all over the screen was so satisfying!

Also this, I was kinda shocked when I found out I could just send all my gear to a different char. Well through the stash anyway as there's no mailbox :P
    A lot of people talk about what they're going to "main" in Diablo 3, but the truth is, Diablo and similar games have pretty low bars when it comes to swapping where your focus is. In Diablo 3 there is no bind on equip equipment and a shared stash. If you decide a class isn't for you? Ditch it, pick up some of those pretties you've put in your stash and play it again.

'ello!
    I've played WoW since Vanilla, and I have been stuck ever since. Watching Blizzcon with a friend (who loves Diablo) I was kinda meh about the Diablo stuff, and didn't pay that much attention to it.
    Anyhow, since I bought the annual pass I'm getting D3 for free, so I'm thinking about giving it a try. I tried D2 like 5 minutes, didn't like it at all. I think it was the hack n' slash thing I didn't like.
    But my question is, what class should I try? I've played end-game on every class in WoW, so don't pull me the "go this class if you played X in WoW".
    Also, is there any "D3 guide for a WoW player" thats worth reading?
    Thanks alot .)
    if you don't like hack n slash, you'll never enjoy Diablo. sorry to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    As the gameplay is absolutely nothing like WoW at all, play what sounds the most fun to you. I'm dead serious.
    Correct words of wisdom. In Diablo there is no "right" way. The goal and mission is to have fun.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuger View Post
    Correct words of wisdom. In Diablo there is no "right" way. The goal and mission is to have fun.
    And to MF all DAY until your eyes bleed or...

PINDLE BOT LETS GO- Opps wrong game

10+ Year Old Account
    There's not much you can bring from your WoW experience into Diablo Im affraid.

Better just try it when ever you've got time : )
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

you just need to be aware of syndroma canalis carpi while playing diablo!
    Last edited by Endus; Today at 10:40 PM. Reason: Editing to change questionable phrasing to adorable puppies

Quote Originally Posted by xBreak View Post
    This post was almost as bad as you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    The clueless commentary from the shortsighted peanut gallery is getting to me.
    My youtube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/Krystafal

Use a condom and ............... oh sorry misread the topic line. The game style is way different then WoW, there are some carry over abilities but thats about it. Much like if you play D2 you can see the makings for druid, dk and mage talents. For myself I don't care for the mechanics of many of the melee classes in WoW besides tanking and enhance shammies, in D3 I prefer the melee classes as I did in d2. Although I really enjoyed a bowzon in d2 and in d3 the demon hunter looks fun too.

I tried D2 like 5 minutes, didn't like it at all. I think it was the hack n' slash thing I didn't like.
    This might not be the game for you though, you did mention you got it as part of the annual pass so you should try it and you might love it. D3 is a hack and slash game though you spend most of your time spam clicking and if that isn't your thing then D3 might change you mind on that or you will find you don't care for the game.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    I definitely suggest you play through a class that you think looks fun to max level. You really can't judge a game in the first 5 minutes at ALL. Trust me you will have fun in D3 whether it be the pvp side of things or levelling with friends. Also if you prefer tanks in WOW, you'd like the monk/barb, or if you like mages/warlocks/hunters in WOW, probably wiz/DH/witchdoctor would best suit you.

Quote Originally Posted by -Alcatraz- View Post
    And to MF all DAY until your eyes bleed or...

PINDLE BOT LETS GO- Opps wrong game
    Ugh, don't remind me. >.<

Deleted
    well you have to start nice and slowly... But it is a hack and slash, so if you hate that, it might not be the greates game, but you should try it, it probaly will be the game of the year. And for the classes, as said range : wizard, demon hunter, witch docktor. here comes ouf if you want to be a ranger, with mobility, so you have to move and jump around, with traps and bombs. Or you want to be caster, One with deadly summons and a "warlock" ish feeling. Or you want to be wizard, with big arcane balls, deadly beams, can use meteors and blizzard from the sky. If melees there is barbarian who is big axe, cut and smash, or monk a hand fighter who use spirit punshed.