Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Depends on how they setup Polymock. In GW1 it was kind of like Pokemon. I know they said they wanted to make it a lot better for GW2, what that means is anyones guess I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Depends on how they setup Polymock. In GW1 it was kind of like Pokemon. I know they said they wanted to make it a lot better for GW2, what that means is anyones guess I suppose.
    I would love for polymock to get fleshed out as the Pet Battles for WoW are. I haven't played MOP yet, but when I saw the pet battles are like Pokemon and the addon that replaces WOW's UI with a 1:1 copy of the the b&w Gameboy Pokemon interface?

Well, I was so sold on the concept I bought 4 copies of the WoW battle chest when it was on sale for $5 to referral myself.

Give me polymock like that in the sumptuous world of Guild Wars, please.

[Side note: I am realizing more & more lately my ideal game is somehow a cross between Monster Hunter, Pokemon Yellow and Final Fantasy X-2.]

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Yeah, I stopped being lazy and actually read up on Polymock. Sounds cool, I like the idea of collecting all the different pieces.

A.Net seems skilled at creating neat little mini-games within the game, I'd look forward to something like this. =D
    That statement makes me remember... wasn't the game supposed to have like 10~ minigames? The only ones I can remember now are the golems one at the asuran starting area and the beer brawl :C

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    [Side note: I am realizing more & more lately my ideal game is somehow a cross between Monster Hunter, Pokemon Yellow and Final Fantasy X-2.]
    Dear gods.... WWWHHHHYYYYYYYY?!
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Again, my quote said absolutely nothing about being better or deserving more. It was a simple comment on something that's pretty much basic human nature. When someone puts in X amount of effort to get Y result, then see someone put in X/2 effort and still get Y result, it's natural for that person to wonder why they're bothering with X amount of effort.
    So why are you bothering? Just go and do X/2 effort if the only thing you care for is the reward. For instance, I get satisfaction from a good challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Dear gods.... WWWHHHHYYYYYYYY?!
    It was good... I always loved the FF job system. That and the skill grid from FFX were the best things about the series.

Oh and Triple Triad.

Maybe too the whole evolution thing from the advance series. But FFT is like a masterpiece.

Oh fuck you, Square Enix. Why did you make FF14 so bad? Could have been great...
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-11-02 at 01:49 AM.

Tactics is like one of my favorite games of all time, I'll give you that beautiful beautiful masterpiece. Also a great story (when it was the Zodiac Brave Story, not the War of the Lions redux). Triple Triad was ridiculously complicated and gamebreaking, despite how simple it looks from the surface. The Spheregrid system in FFX-2 wasn't really that bad of a deal. But the presentation of it, as well as the content/atmosphere/"feel" of the game itself, was just completely terrible in my honest opinion.

That said, seeing as you loved Tactics, how did you feel about XII?

Never played a Final Fantasy on console beyond FFx-2. Only other FFs I played were FFT:A, FF11/14 and the one for DS that was awful.

Triple Triad is complicated? Its a pretty simple number matching system. The only complex aspect was sacrificing cards in under various rules. Which were mostly static in that region. So once you know the rules-- it's not that big a deal.

I am a big fan of the sphere grid and triple triad.

XII had a very open ended progression, similar to the Sphere Grid of X, but you could move in any direction on any character. Move left for white magic, right for black magic, up for green magic (buff/debuff), that sort of deal. They all had designated sections on the License Board, but you could freely grow in whichever direction you wanted for whichever character you wanted, right from the get-go rather than needing to clear through the "primary" one for each character before moving on.

Stats were handled via gear for the most part (light armor gave most attack/magic, medium armor gave most HP, heavy armor most defense, and weapons were what gave you attack power more than anything else), so you didn't have stats on the board (few exceptions), just the fun awesome stuff. Some decent grinding early on, and you have the capacity to cast all the spells and wear all the armor/weapons (equipment was also on a different part of this board) long before you came across them physically. But your characters developed the way you wanted them to. They had their MP triggers (physical damage, taking damage, on spell cast, on recieving heals) from which you thought was most important from the get-go.

Completely a polar opposite to a designated job-system, but with it being completely open-ended as it was (yet not too grind reliant), it ended up being one of my favorite systems.
    Last edited by Kelesti; 2012-11-02 at 02:13 AM.

Back on topic please people.

I've always wanted to do that

Nor is the statement - as was made before - that the dodge/evade mechanics have been, and will continue to, encourage one-dimensional PvE encounters that revolve around one-shot mechanics. (Either that, or we'll see the introduction of undodgeable damage sources)
    How is the dodge mechanic any different from something like Ultraxion. It doesn't have to dictate the complexity of the fights or result in one-shot mechanics. There are plenty of ways to make a fight interesting while keeping dodge. For example, AOE that covers the whole area (impossible to dodge), attacks that can't be dodged (as you said), a higher number of attacks in a short space of time (player picks which ones to dodge), having attacks hit all players over a short space of time. Those are just off the top of my head.

I would like to see the world events a little bit less forgiving. Even if it's only in "instanced" versions that groups can go into. Maybe with a better reward (gold/karma/influence). That way, for example, guilds can decide to take on Shatterer as an organised unit.

So far I am very happy with the PVE. I have only just reached 80 but still have a lot of the map to cover (about 25% complete so far). I have also only done a few jumping puzzles and none of the dungeons so there is lots to still do. The dungeons do sound like they are problematic but I will see when I get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    It doesn't have to dictate the complexity of the fights or result in one-shot mechanics.
    Indeed. Dodge is there to keep a high paced fighting experience and discourage static DPS/Healing/Tank roles. Further more, dodge is not the only way to mitigate damage. If you know your profession you know which tools to use when whilst making good use of your passive traits.

I also think the one-shot mechanic argument is being misused and greatly exaggerated. There aren't that many encounters which rely on such massive hits. Those that do, are mostly very well telegraphed and easily avoidable.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    AOE that covers the whole area (impossible to dodge), attacks that can't be dodged (as you said), a higher number of attacks in a short space of time (player picks which ones to dodge)
    When you start doing dungeons, you'll regularly encounter such mechanics

Dodge is also an invuln. So map wide AOE would need to be some kind of pulse or ongoing effect. Attacks that ignore the dodge mechanic would be conflicting of the design. It'd be the epitome of cheap game design.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Dodge is also an invuln. So map wide AOE would need to be some kind of pulse or ongoing effect. Attacks that ignore the dodge mechanic would be conflicting of the design. It'd be the epitome of cheap game design.
    Right, but if you have the ground covered with ever-present `traps`, then no matter where or how often you dodged you`d still be in one, and still take damage from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

That would be a pulse or ongoing effect, mechanically speaking.

I will probably get a lot of hate for that, but what do you guys think of the fact that both Towellie and Kungen, which are somewhat considered the cream of popular PvE streams both came to the conclusion that GW2 PvE was terrible. Towellie is going so far as encouraging people to refund GW2.

And before you say that's their problem or "who cares" those guys influence a LOT of people.

Oh and that thing: http://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/comme...current_games/. The mention on GW2 is interesting!

Why is their opinion interesting?

Well, all I can say is that Anet will have to refund a dozens of people tonight for their box price and all the gems they bought.

That's probably more impact than anyone in this thread can have on the game :/

He is encouraging people to get their refund and I have seen several people looking quite happy to have the opportunity to get GW2 refunded.