Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    .....about time
    He He,

I've been so busy at work. I only just dinged the 55 the last time I played - managed to find a whole bunch of guys farming Hunt Rifts and did that for 1 level.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    .....about time
    lol a friend ended up wanting to chill today, well that's several hours taken away. but /shrug

I'm enjoying the process nonetheless, I have nothing to rush for. I gave up hardcore raiding back when I quit WoW and didn't plan to return to it in Rift, so thus, no hurry.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

57 now, got finals to study for and finish up projects this weekend, but gonna try to reach 60 by next week.

Up to 437 hit, the guild's first group cleared the 10 man by the 2nd night (only last boss on the 2nd night). I wasn't quite 400 at the time so was just doing experts at the time. Have had seriously awful luck on cloth drops though, I have yet to win a single cloth piece in an expert, anything cloth I'm wearing has been crafted or a quest reward (or a rare drop from the rare mobs in steppes/ashora - which can drop surprisingly okay intro loot).

Still a trial member for the guild but hoping to prove I have the stuff - I've not done the raiding thing for a while now and would like to give it a try this time.

Got level 60 a few days ago. So bored, there is nothing to do. I'm kidding of course, I've barely scratched the surface of stuff there is to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I understand you feel disconnected from the lore and setting-- that's fine, not sure I can change that or feel the need to.

However, I think it is a little unfair to claim other franchises addition to lore isn't "daydreamed by Metzen" or Lucas. Because they sorta are and have to be really. That's how all lore is made up-- some guy's imagination running wild as he sits in traffic or wherever.

Admittedly, I am not Star Wars fan and read like 2 quests in 5 years of World of Warcraft. However, I think you are really saying those other franchises integrate new lore in a more agreeable fashion to you. Again, I see that as fair criticism & preference if so.

Edit: Apologies if it seems like "piling on" after the above 2 posts. I didn't refresh the tab. But I think it's still worth noting that lore in one game is every bit as make believe as another.
    I'll respond to you. Cause I choose to.

I understand that the lore of TBC, or any other expansion was a 'Metzen daydream,' or a 'Samwise Drawing,' I feel you misinterpreted what I posted and took it slightly more literally than I meant. I did alter what I said to try and make it less....confrontational.

Brevane and Dusken don't feel Telaran. It feels like you step through a portal and into a Death Rift. Literally. It's like you're in the plane of Death (or Life, for the other continent) and it doesn't feel like 'Telara.' It feels alien. Like it was drawn together in haste by someone who didn't think that the new areas needed to feel connected to the old one. Like Seratos; it's one big Death Rift. No area on Mathosia was like that. I get 'being different' and all, but this is the same planet, right?! I just don't feel the 'rush' to save areas that are, to me, too different from where I was a month ago.

WoW contantly adds new continents, and zones. One thing they also do is bring parts of the "old world" with you. Like right as you land on Pandaria, there's a ton of familiar-looking things to ease the transition. It may only be Horde Outposts and Ships (I'm Alliance) to attack, but it's familiar. You don't feel it's as alien.

Trion, on the other hand, didn't bring the old world (Mathosia) with us to transition in. It's like nobody before Queen Mieala even thought of taking a boat across to see their former friends.....

toomanyrifts.blogspot.ca || A Gaming Blog

Based on the Lore Timeline the dragons came to Telara 1500 years ago and were imprisoned, save for Regulos, who was banished beyond The Ward. The Eth rose and fell, leaving Mathosians all but sealed in a bubble (The Ward). In 500 years they've been isolated and protected from the direct influence of Regulos.

With Crucia's escape, the ward has been damaged and the elemental forces are in ascendance. Mathosia was protected, Dusken and Brevane were not, and thus were influenced and perverted by the elements. As Mathosia was cut off from the rest of the world, Dusken (and likely Brevane) believed Mathosia had fallen to the dragons centuries ago. It's only now as the Ward weakens that we're able to communicate and travel beyond the limits of Mathosia.

While the hand-holding and transitioning isn't strong from Original Rift to Storm Legion, I don't think it's necessary. We're the ignorant kids who never left our own county, let alone saw the world. We thought we had it rough, but we were isolated and had no clue how bad off everyone else was.

I'd certainly like to see more lore in the game, and I'd appreciate it being further fleshed out, but I don't think the game is lacking it, nor in need of WoWifying its implementation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by willowe View Post
    I'll respond to you. Cause I choose to.

I understand that the lore of TBC, or any other expansion was a 'Metzen daydream,' or a 'Samwise Drawing,' I feel you misinterpreted what I posted and took it slightly more literally than I meant. I did alter what I said to try and make it less....confrontational.

Brevane and Dusken don't feel Telaran. It feels like you step through a portal and into a Death Rift. Literally. It's like you're in the plane of Death (or Life, for the other continent) and it doesn't feel like 'Telara.' It feels alien. Like it was drawn together in haste by someone who didn't think that the new areas needed to feel connected to the old one. Like Seratos; it's one big Death Rift. No area on Mathosia was like that. I get 'being different' and all, but this is the same planet, right?! I just don't feel the 'rush' to save areas that are, to me, too different from where I was a month ago.

WoW contantly adds new continents, and zones. One thing they also do is bring parts of the "old world" with you. Like right as you land on Pandaria, there's a ton of familiar-looking things to ease the transition. It may only be Horde Outposts and Ships (I'm Alliance) to attack, but it's familiar. You don't feel it's as alien.

Trion, on the other hand, didn't bring the old world (Mathosia) with us to transition in. It's like nobody before Queen Mieala even thought of taking a boat across to see their former friends.....
    Going to have to disagree.

While I totally see, understand with, and AGREE with, your point, it's being put in the wrong place. Mathosia is a continent that never got directly attacked by the dragons, on the other hand Dusken (and I believe) Brevane, did. Dusken has been gutted by Crucia and Regulos, from what we can tell, both visually and through some of the quests/NPCs' chatter. So technically, it's like we're halfway into the Plane of Death/Air in Dusken. I THINK Brevane has been attacked, because of how overtaken it is by, well, all the life stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if Greenscale assaulted Brevane big time and began to grow his gigantic plants all over the place.

Frankly, I find Brevane and Dusken to be warmly refreshing, as Mathosia, was, no lie here, getting a little stale.

World of Warcraft is a different game and goes about things differently, Rift chose their own path, which was to deviate from WoW's recipe, Rift did not fail.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Going to have to disagree.

While I totally see, understand with, and AGREE with, your point, it's being put in the wrong place. Mathosia is a continent that never got directly attacked by the dragons, on the other hand Dusken (and I believe) Brevane, did. Dusken has been gutted by Crucia and Regulos, from what we can tell, both visually and through some of the quests/NPCs' chatter. So technically, it's like we're halfway into the Plane of Death/Air in Dusken. I THINK Brevane has been attacked, because of how overtaken it is by, well, all the life stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if Greenscale assaulted Brevane big time and began to grow his gigantic plants all over the place.

Frankly, I find Brevane and Dusken to be warmly refreshing, as Mathosia, was, no lie here, getting a little stale.

World of Warcraft is a different game and goes about things differently, Rift chose their own path, which was to deviate from WoW's recipe, Rift did not fail.
    If Mathosia was never 'directly attacked' then why are/were Akylios, Greenscale, and "Crucia" imprisoned there? They attacked each 'side' equally, through the Infinity Gate and the Ward.

I'm not asking for them to WoWify Rift. I just clearly don't get the fact that, if these (new) lands were so important and the tech was so powerful, why did sealing off the Ward from the Bloodstorm simply remove Brevane/Dusken from the history of Mathosia. I know it "wasn't written in lore until 2 months ago," but that's the problem; they added new lore and forgot to connect it fully to the old, imo. It's not like Mathosians flicked a switch and deleted it from everyone's mind, why was there no attempt to visit the Duskenites until the Endevour crashed?

The lore just doesn't seem as mature, as flushed out, as other games. It's fine if you don't care, but that in going into Alien-looking lands, and an annoying leveling curve (that I have to do x3), is sucking the enjoyment out of Rift.

toomanyrifts.blogspot.ca || A Gaming Blog

Quote Originally Posted by willowe View Post
    If Mathosia was never 'directly attacked' then why are/were Akylios, Greenscale, and "Crucia" imprisoned there? They attacked each 'side' equally, through the Infinity Gate and the Ward.

I'm not asking for them to WoWify Rift. I just clearly don't get the fact that, if these (new) lands were so important and the tech was so powerful, why did sealing off the Ward from the Bloodstorm simply remove Brevane/Dusken from the history of Mathosia. I know it "wasn't written in lore until 2 months ago," but that's the problem; they added new lore and forgot to connect it fully to the old, imo. It's not like Mathosians flicked a switch and deleted it from everyone's mind, why was there no attempt to visit the Duskenites until the Endevour crashed?

The lore just doesn't seem as mature, as flushed out, as other games. It's fine if you don't care, but that in going into Alien-looking lands, and an annoying leveling curve (that I have to do x3), is sucking the enjoyment out of Rift.
    This is getting old. It was previously explained, through an entire world event, why we are in dusken and Brevane, Our help was requested. It built upon, an entire zone quest chain (IPP) and the perils of both new continents are very well explained as you go along, Slarvola's influence on Brevane, and the Caretaker's 3 chapters in Dusken.

I don't understand your Point of View. the entire lore is based on the Planes' continuous onslaught of Telara. you seem to have an issue that Seratos was corrupted by the plane of death? what is this even, I don't understand? luckily, if you were to play Seratos and Morban, you would clearly see how this is very relevant and Crucia/Regulos' role in the entire sordid ordeal.

Bottom line, you prefer WoW's lore (because apparently the camps look like they did from the very beginning of the game, or whatever) and you are coming here announcing that Rift feels disconnected- fine, I can accept your premise and preference, but its fairly clear that very few (if any) of the people on these sub-forum playing the game agree on any level with you. You liked Rift, played a zone's worth of quests, and decided its not WoW. Fine, at last say that and move on;

But there really is no credible argument you can make that the expansion's storyline is disjointed or poorly established from a lore perspective.
    {I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. }

10+ Year Old Account
    Frankly if anything, I find Storm Legion's lore-telling to be far superior to Plain Rift.
    "A flower.

Lore? People pay attention to the lore? Hmmm, lemme kill some more stuff please, don't care who or why, just wanna kill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lore? People pay attention to the lore? Hmmm, lemme kill some more stuff please, don't care who or why, just wanna kill.
    I thought I was the only one who doesn't give a shit about lore....snore. If I want a good story I'll watch a movie or read a book. If I'm gaming the content needs to be satisfying all your quest text and voice over nonsense adds zero to keeping me interested in the content. You can have has many NPCs as you like yammering back and forth that's my que to go for a Bio or beverage break.

I still call BS on Pandaria that lore is the most disjointed nonsense to hit WoW the initial reaction to the announcement was LOL worthy and acceptance finally kicked in after the announcement. I love that blizzard said this is what the players wanted. Show me the survey that proves the players wanted this. I played since launch I was never asked if I wanted that lore/content or was there a massive request for it on their forums. Many players are already speculating their next xpac will go back to a darker theme.

OT: I guess I'm guilty of not keeping this on topic as well. Yeah I'm level 60 since the 17th or 18th of November forget the exact date.... My Hit is 400+.......

Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    I thought I was the only one who doesn't give a shit about lore....snore. If I want a good story I'll watch a movie or read a book. If I'm gaming the content needs to be satisfying all your quest text and voice over nonsense adds zero to keeping me interested in the content. You can have has many NPCs as you like yammering back and forth that's my que to go for a Bio or beverage break.

I still call BS on Pandaria that lore is the most disjointed nonsense to hit WoW the initial reaction to the announcement was LOL worthy and acceptance finally kicked in after the announcement. I love that blizzard said this is what the players wanted. Show me the survey that proves the players wanted this. I played since launch I was never asked if I wanted that lore/content or was there a massive request for it on their forums. Many players are already speculating their next xpac will go back to a darker theme.

OT: I guess I'm guilty of not keeping this on topic as well. Yeah I'm level 60 since the 17th or 18th of November forget the exact date.... My Hit is 400+.......
    Yeah, I'm not sure how a thread that was originally focused on speed leveling and a race to 60 got turned into lore discussion. People who race to 60 typically skip lore related stuff. I know I did.

Aye, if you are power leveling then chances are that your interest in the lore is pretty darn low.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I'm not sure how a thread that was originally focused on speed leveling and a race to 60 got turned into lore discussion. People who race to 60 typically skip lore related stuff. I know I did.
    I think the majority of us didn't see this as a legitimate race, was more just a tracking of where regulars around here were in the game. :P

The real race is the world firsters, who beat us by a long shot, like Seatin. lol

So if anyone was truly focused on "speed" and "racing" they were done days/weeks before 99% of this forum.
    "A flower.

Yeah, it missed what I was trying to do. I mean I knew it was beneath the world-firsters, but far ahead of the casuals. I just though there were more of the not-quite-hardcore-but-definitely-not-casual players that were regular posters here. You know, people that are just now stepping into raids for the first time, this week or last week. But it does appear that most of the players here are much more casual than I thought.

10+ Year Old Account
    But it does appear that most of the players here are much more casual than I thought.
    It's not just here casual players are probably 99% of the playerbase. Casual is not a bad word and many will raid in top 50 guilds but the race to 60 are done by very few. My sleep is more valuable to me then be server first 60 but that doesn't mean I wont take my end game any less serious and strive to min/max and BiS everything just a little bit behind top guilds. I can live with that.

Usually I rush my main character to max level in these type of games, then go back on an alt at a slower place.

Story isn't gameplay but it is part of the game. Thus story presentation is still important to consider.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    It's not just here casual players are probably 99% of the playerbase. Casual is not a bad word and many will raid in top 50 guilds but the race to 60 are done by very few. My sleep is more valuable to me then be server first 60 but that doesn't mean I wont take my end game any less serious and strive to min/max and BiS everything just a little bit behind top guilds. I can live with that.
    Yeah, contrary to popular belief, I value still achieving some level of production in my day-to-day dealings, even when a major expansion comes out. I still went in for my classes, still hung out with friends/family/dogs, relaxed, and overall enjoyed the leveling process and took in the story-line of the zones I've consumed. To many folks, I still played a hardcore amount of time, too. 8 hours per day, for instance, to many many folks, is an extreme amount of time, but I suppose it also matters how you spend that time.

I like to talk to people, who would've known? Oh and I have a duty to partake in these forums and work towards the 15k Insane title. ;o
    "A flower.