Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am British and I must say music from the UK is horrible right now, the US tends to think we in the UK have some of the best music and Americans think they have some of the worst with Justin Beiber and Chris Brown, while sure they are bad you seem to forget that we gave you One Direction (a bunch of cloned Biebers), Cher Lloyd, and Jesse J to try and convince you of how bad our music as gotten.

That aside the US was pretty wise not to accept Techno and club music on themselves back then... . :P
    Last edited by Orby; 2013-01-15 at 04:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably just cultural attributes relating to the prevalence of pop music in the US. The US also seems quite objectionable to music from outside of the country as a very general trend.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I am British and I must say music from the UK is horrible right now, the US tends to think we in the UK have some of the best music
    Well you did give us probably the greatest artists in the history of music:
    http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/page...s-int-eng.html

I mean seriously that list is sick, pretty much everyone in the top 50 is great. I guess when you churn out people like that in the past we kinda expect you to keep doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    Is there anything like this in the US? It looks totally badass.

OK thats just sick. Seriously, please tell me theres stuff like this somewhere in the US. Wish I could install that light and sound system in my house.
    Last edited by Lilly32; 2013-01-15 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Probably just cultural attributes relating to the prevalence of pop music in the US. The US also seems quite objectionable to music from outside of the country as a very general trend.
    WHAT? That is just wrong, I mean Adele, PSY, Beatles, there are more but that statement was so bad I can't seem to think of anymore right now.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    WHAT? That is just wrong, I mean Adele, PSY, Beatles, there are more but that statement was so bad I can't seem to think of anymore right now.
    That's why I said as a very general trend. This entire thread is very generalized; I know plenty of Americans who love techno and club music.

That's why I said as a very general trend. This entire thread is very generalized; I know plenty of Americans who love techno and club music.
    But you said american's don't like music from outside the US which is just false.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted
    But you said american's don't like music from outside the US which is just false.
    Just because there are exceptions doesn't mean his statement is any less true.

Now, if you could list 25-50 artists then you might have a point. But 3? that's what we call exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    Just because there are exceptions doesn't mean his statement is any less true.

Now, if you could list 25-50 artists then you might have a point. But 3? that's what we call exceptions.
    Spelling on some of these might be wrong.

Beatles
    Rolling Stones
    Adele
    Justine Beiber
    Psy
    One Direction
    Celine Deon
    Shania Twain
    Carly Rae Jepson
    Rihanna
    Nikki Minaj
    Shakira
    Die Antwood
    The Who
    Cher Lloyd
    Casscada
    Sweedish House Mafia
    The proclaimers
    Kylie Minogue
    Avril Lavigne
    Kimbra
    Goyte
    ABBA
    Spice Girls
    Aqua

That's something like 25 just off the top of my head from now and other times.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

10+ Year Old Account
    "The US also seems quite objectionable to music from outside of the country as a very general trend." Unless a band is very successful, as in Nightwish or Beatles quality, it generally doesn't find its way into the US as easily.

"The US also seems quite objectionable to music from outside of the country as a very general trend." Unless a band is very successful, as in Nightwish or Beatles quality, it generally doesn't find its way into the US as easily.
    Did you not just see my list of 25 off the top of my head, I mean I'm sure I could come up with more if i wanted to but I don't.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you not just see my list of 25 off the top of my head, I mean I'm sure I could come up with more if i wanted to but I don't.
    I heard that very general doesn't actually mean anything. I'd also like to point out that quite a few of the artists on that list are pop artists, which would of course circumvent my given theory for why there is a certain level of resistance in the US to foreign music.

I heard that very general doesn't actually mean anything. I'd also like to point out that quite a few of the artists on that list are pop artists, which would of course circumvent my given theory for why there is a certain level of resistance in the US to foreign music.
    Pop isn't really a genre though, popular means people like it. So obviously if it was popular in the US then it was popular.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

10+ Year Old Account
    Pop isn't really a genre though, popular means people like it. So obviously if it was popular in the US then it was popular.
    http://top40.about.com/od/popmusic101/a/popmusic.htm

It is tempting to confuse pop music with popular music. The New Grove Dictionary Of Music and Musicians, the musicologist's ultimate reference resource, identifies popular music as the music since industrialization in the 1800's that is most in line with the tastes and interests of the urban middle class. This would include an extremely wide range of music from vaudeville and minstrel shows to heavy metal. Pop music, on the other hand, has primarily come into usage to describe music that evolved out of the rock 'n roll revolution of the mid-1950's and continues in a definable path to today.

No, not quite.

http://top40.about.com/od/popmusic101/a/popmusic.htm

It is tempting to confuse pop music with popular music. The New Grove Dictionary Of Music and Musicians, the musicologist's ultimate reference resource, identifies popular music as the music since industrialization in the 1800's that is most in line with the tastes and interests of the urban middle class. This would include an extremely wide range of music from vaudeville and minstrel shows to heavy metal. Pop music, on the other hand, has primarily come into usage to describe music that evolved out of the rock 'n roll revolution of the mid-1950's and continues in a definable path to today.

No, not quite.
    Except that i can constantly change, that's the problem with trying to say pop is a real genre because you know what gets to be pop sometimes, rock, rap, folk, metal, dance, and many other genres. Pop is not a genre.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

10+ Year Old Account
    Except that i can constantly change, that's the problem with trying to say pop is a real genre because you know what gets to be pop sometimes, rock, rap, folk, metal, dance, and many other genres. Pop is not a genre.
    You can identify what pop music is within a specific frame of time, as typically pop music blends the most successful elements of the recent few years, regardless of what genre it is from, to essentially form an echo of it to varying degrees of success. It is identified by being a medley of other styles.

You can identify what pop music is within a specific frame of time, as typically pop music blends the most successful elements of the recent few years, regardless of what genre it is from, to essentially form an echo of it to varying degrees of success. It is identified by being a medley of other styles.
    Your point being?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

10+ Year Old Account
    Your point being?
    My point being that pop music and popular music are not synonymous, and there is an abstract but existing distinction that identifies pop music.

My point being that pop music and popular music are not synonymous, and there is an abstract but existing distinction that identifies pop music.
    Ok I've still proven that American's take to foreign music quite often even when its not in the same language.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok I've still proven that American's take to foreign music quite often even when its not in the same language.
    You've, what.. proven it through anecdotes that don't apply to the primary obstacle that I presented?