Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    2nd grade. 7, 8 years old. They don't know what they are doing half the time, except slick mimicking of tv, video games, whatever. And there is nothing wrong with that. But being suspended over it, when they didn't know it was a wrong doing? Dumb dumb dumb

Quote Originally Posted by santa666 View Post
    Limiting the children/youths imagination can never be a good thing imo.
    It's more than that - kids today are essentially being indoctrinated that fear takes precedence over everything else. They're surrounded by adults that are cowards and let irrational fears control their lives, and they're going to grow up the same way.

Yes, the recent school shootings were terrible tragedies, but that doesn't suddenly make schools unsafe. People need to start looking at the world with a little bit of common sense and stop trying to ensure 100% safety in everything - which is impossible. Not to mention absurd, considering how safe the world (at least in America) really is. Your kid almost certainly is not going to be gunned down by some nut with the gun - start worrying about stuff that is going to affect your child. Like raising them in a constant state of irrational fear, devoid of imagination and common sense.

Dafuq? Suspended because of an imaginary grenade? I used to throw smokebombs out of the windows, wonder what would happen if I did that living in the same country as that boy.

My nephew got into trouble by bringing a plastic knife to school for lunch. He didn't get suspended but he did get into trouble over it. On the one hand a little common sense should have prevailed. On the other our region has had it's share of incidents including one of my co-worker's daughter's being threatened with a real knife.

There is going to be a time when school gets outlawed and everyone just learns from the internet because it's safer.

Quote Originally Posted by Braggia View Post
    It's more than that - kids today are essentially being indoctrinated that fear takes precedence over everything else. They're surrounded by adults that are cowards and let irrational fears control their lives, and they're going to grow up the same way.

Yes, the recent school shootings were terrible tragedies, but that doesn't suddenly make schools unsafe. People need to start looking at the world with a little bit of common sense and stop trying to ensure 100% safety in everything - which is impossible. Not to mention absurd, considering how safe the world (at least in America) really is. Your kid almost certainly is not going to be gunned down by some nut with the gun - start worrying about stuff that is going to affect your child. Like raising them in a constant state of irrational fear, devoid of imagination and common sense.
    You mean how people who drive cars everyday of their life without realizing they are statistically (no-one likes numbers I guess) more dangerous compared to planes. Those same people say they will never fly on a plane because of how dangerous it is.

Also, I don't live in anywhere near a "major" city (see: higher crime usually due to a higher density of people) but hell the school my kid goes to you have to be buzzed in as all doors in the building are locked. Hell, I can't even step foot on the bus without them telling me no. All of this was before the recent school shootings.
    Last edited by alturic; 2013-02-07 at 04:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember when we could play with toy guns at recess and run around "shooting" each other. The guns were part of the classroom toybox. Granted, I grew up in the 80s and went to a private Christian school that was a part of our Lutheran church (and Lutheran men love their guns), but I don't ever recall imaginary murder being frowned upon...

Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    I remember when we could play with toy guns at recess and run around "shooting" each other. The guns were part of the classroom toybox. Granted, I grew up in the 80s and went to a private Christian school that was a part of our Lutheran church (and Lutheran men love their guns), but I don't ever recall imaginary murder being frowned upon...
    My old school was much the same, just not Christian or Lutheran for that matter. Hell, half the the kids who played with the water guns or fake guns used real guns outside of school with their parents.

10+ Year Old Account
    I suppose I can't draw swords now
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Is it because the girl brought an item with the word "gun" in it? Do teachers/principles/school administrators have ANY brains at all?
    Don't blame the teachers. Parents should bear almost 100% of the blame for the dismal situation in schools today - shootings, absenteeism, etc. Teachers hands are quite tied by administration, who are in turn constrained by the parents, who are in turn unwilling (or unable) to raise their children themselves. Teachers aren't viewed as professionals who can handle children anymore, they're viewed as wardens. And that transforms schools from schools into prisons.

Some of our local schools were suspending girls who wear "seductive underwear".
    Now, how would a teacher know, and why are they looking?
    One would assume that if a teacher CAN see a girls' underwear then clearly that girl is doing SOMETHING wrong.

I am 100% behind a dress code - what kids wear to school these days detracts from a professional study environment. Not to mention that their dress code reflects poorly on their habits later on in life, and if nobody corrects them early on, it'll be so much harder to teach them proper dressing habits down the road.
    Last edited by Ashnazg; 2013-02-07 at 04:31 PM.

Sigh.

So America, the land where they glory weapons and will fight tooth and nail for the right to own whatever weapon they desire... doesn't like children to make believe?

Do I even need to say anything else? Kids learn what kids see. And then get punished for being kids.

America. Please stop. You're supposed to be this shining beacon to the world, an example of how things are supposed to be done. And yet every day I hear stuff like this. Please. Stop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    Sigh.

So America, the land where they glory weapons and will fight tooth and nail for the right to own whatever weapon they desire... doesn't like children to make believe?

Do I even need to say anything else? Kids learn what kids see. And then get punished for being kids.

America. Please stop. You're supposed to be this shining beacon to the world, an example of how things are supposed to be done. And yet every day I hear stuff like this. Please. Stop.
    Not everyone is the same as the *wackos*.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

I know a guy who's son got suspended for doing 'finger guns' at school. The world we live in today is just so sad...

Deleted
    How... what?

I'm not even sure what to make of this. During my school years we did nothing but play fight (Well, we learnt :P) and we turned out alright.

Is this school trying to really cut down kids imaginations or something? It was so much fun being able to just kinda, drift away during our breaks and play stupid shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    i completely agree with this suspension. the kids need to learn to follow rules.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Deleted
    Give it 20 years, if teens are still causing mass killings then we know it was pointless.

It's not like they are really missing out on anything though. Sure the majority messed around with violence at school (British Bulldog!) and it did no harm, but for a small minority it could have had an adverse effect, so probably should be banned for that alone.

In Finland, we can tell teachers to fuck off and hit eachother and if we are lucky we will get nothing for doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    i completely agree with this suspension. the kids need to learn to follow rules.
    Im going to shoot you with my pikachu squirt gun. Come arrest me. No such thing as being irrational.

Quote Originally Posted by Alixie View Post
    Im going to shoot you with my pikachu squirt gun. Come arrest me. No such thing as being irrational.
    I'll help you with my water filled balloons.

It was a smoke bomb i swear!, no srsly does this mean we cant play cops and robbers anymore?

What the fuck? I remember back in second grade that most boys would all gather at the sand box and all fight. Winners would be those who could keep another pinned down for longer. This involved throwing, pushing, even hitting eachother and we had fun! We used to throw dirt at eachother pretending it was smoke grenades. WTF armerica?
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ