Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by krunksmash View Post
    TBH banning gay marriage is = to prejudice and as far as I know prejudice is illegal in all modern countries. so at its core gay marriage bans are illegal.
    not really. it actually sqweeks by in equality. A gay man equally has the right to marry a currently unmarried woman as any straight guy does.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystile View Post
    Give it ten years and you'll hate life if you're still doing your "talking to a girl (with 5 on the side)" thing.
    And if he doesn't he'll be that lonely 35 year old at the club trying to pick up 18 year old girls, but they all think he is disgusting and creepy, while all the women his age don't want to be with him either because he is just after a night of sex without any form of commitment.

There is nothing wrong with not being in love, and settling down and going through the whole Kids, Marriage, Home series, but if you are going to just sleep around, you should have a little more respect for the women in question.

PS: "I've got five women on the side" - Bullshit! Only time i've ever heard something like this, it is from a TV Show or Movie. Most men can't remember one girls name, let alone five!

Quote Originally Posted by seta-san View Post
    not really. it actually sqweeks by in equality. A gay man equally has the right to marry a currently unmarried woman as any straight guy does.
    but not to marry the guy he loves. my original point stands. and to date no one has be able to present a legal, non religious, non personal moral based reason to allow gay marriage bans.

As a woman, I agree. There is no good reason for myself or any woman really to get married.

1. Married women still do the majority of the housework/child rearing although they are now also also expected to work outside the home. Google second shift/double burden
    2. I don't have to deal with the annoyance of a man who lies around the house all day, spends most of his time playing video games or whatever miscellaneous man hobby he engages in, making a mess of the house and/or not cleaning up after himself.
    3. As a woman, I can get sex whenever I want, so why settle down with one man?
    4. Women get far less out of marriage than men. Studies have shown that while male happiness/satisfaction increases while married, female happiness/satisfaction is the same or declines after marriage.

Yeah I see nothing in marriage for me, I'll just keep all of my income (considering I went to both law and business school and will most likely have to pay out spousal support to my ex-husband if I ever end up getting divorced, since I will likely make more money than he does or ever will) and adopt if the need to nurture a human being ever arises.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have 5 people on the side you will never get the point of being married.

Not to mention if all you care about is sex, then you have satyriasis which means you are incapable of love in the true meaning of the word
    dictated but not read.

10+ Year Old Account
    the consequences of divorce far out strip what petty tax incentives you get.
    Then don't marry people on a whim.

You act as if everyone that gets married has a 50% chance of randomly finding themselves divorced.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by krunksmash View Post
    but not to marry the guy he loves. my original point stands. and to date no one has be able to present a legal, non religious, non personal moral based reason to allow gay marriage bans.
    i hate to ask this question.. but what does marriage have to do with love? From a legal point of view it's about nothing more than property and children(which is arguably also property) and money and taxes.

"Picture coming home every night to your best friend, your greatest fan, and your number one supporter. She (or he) makes each good day better, and each bad day good again. Every day, you get to live what is essentially a 24/7 sleepover party with the greatest friend you've ever had.
    … Now add sex and sandwiches."
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandaemic View Post
    “Oh, do a daily? Just do a daily? Why don’t I strap on my daily helmet and squeeze down into a daily cannon and fire off into daily land, where quests grow on little dailies?!”

10+ Year Old Account
    i hate to ask this question.. but what does marriage have to do with love? From a legal point of view it's about nothing more than property and children(which is arguably also property) and money and taxes.
    And what is life but your heart continuing to pump blood through your body, and your neural synapses continuing to function.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

15+ Year Old Account
    Besides being in love there is no reason, well besides getting a green card and tax things.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by Tuskcat View Post
    "Picture coming home every night to your best friend, your greatest fan, and your number one supporter. She (or he) makes each good day better, and each bad day good again. Every day, you get to live what is essentially a 24/7 sleepover party with the greatest friend you've ever had.
    … Now add sex and sandwiches."
    You can do all that without actually getting married.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    You dont, but go ahead and tell your fiance (if you have or will have one) that you dont want to get married because its "hardly necessary". Most of the time that wont go down well. Plus its a nice tradition and you dont really have to shell out thousands of pounds on it.

try telling that to your fiance. i bet that goes over as well as the not finding marriage necessary conversation will.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Then don't marry people on a whim.

You act as if everyone that gets married has a 50% chance of randomly finding themselves divorced.
    actually that's exactly the truth.

Deleted
    I don't see a good reason why. If two people truly love each other they don't need some garbage ceremony and signed papers to immortalize that. Marriage to me is a last resort agreement when your relationship is on it's way down the gutter. It's an attempt to immortalize what little love there ever was in that relationship and it is because of that almost everyone who ever gets married get a divorce.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    You can do all that without actually getting married.
    Seeing as you so dreadfully feared being reduced to a houswife, and yet apparently feel that that would not be the case unless the word "marriage" is thrown in, you could always just not marry someone that would sit around the house all day and make you do housework while he plays video games.

actually that's exactly the truth.
    False. Prepare for an itemized dissolution of your statement. (from something I posted earlier in this very thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar
    Those statistics take into account teenagers getting married, Las Vegas marriages, and all that sort of thing. They can be skewed. Stating that "anyone that gets married has an X chance of getting divorced" is completely false. It's completely dependent on the people actually getting married.

For example:
    "31 percent of women who had sex for the first time as teens divorced within five years, and 47 percent divorced within 10 years. The divorce rate for women who delayed sex until adulthood was far lower: 15 percent at five years, and 27 percent at 10 years. " http://news-releases.uiowa.edu/2011/...aik_study.html

"According to research at the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School, one of the clearest predictors of whether wedding vows will stick is the age of the people saying them. Take the '80s: a full 81% of college graduates who got hitched in that decade at age 26 or older were still married 20 years later. Only 65% of college grads who said I do before their 26th birthday made it that far. But just 49% of those who married young and did so without a degree lasted 20 years, a cohort that Parker-Pope spends little time discussing. Instead she contends that the 50% stat is a myth that persists because it's something of a political Swiss Army knife, handy for any number of agendas."http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...989124,00.html

And above all remember that a marriage is between two human beings, and not some random lottery you'd be throwing yourself into.

Statistics are a fickle, easily manipulated thing. If I were to tell you that every 3.6 seconds someone in the world dies of hunger, should you be afraid for your life because you might inadvertently starve to death in your sleep?
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

2. I don't have to deal with the annoyance of a man who lies around the house all day, spends most of his time playing video games or whatever miscellaneous man hobby he engages in, making a mess of the house and/or not cleaning up after himself.
    If you choose wisely you can find a man who will help you with house work. I get your point though, since my apartment is a mess most of the time.

3. As a woman, I can get sex whenever I want, so why settle down with one man?
    Ever since women started thinking like men the rate of marriage has been going down. Women who think like you basically hand men their trump card, so they don't have a reason to be responsible.

4. Women get far less out of marriage than men. Studies have shown that while male happiness/satisfaction increases while married, female happiness/satisfaction is the same or declines after marriage.
    Can't argue with that.

Yeah I see nothing in marriage for me, I'll just keep all of my income (considering I went to both law and business school and will most likely have to pay out spousal support to my ex-husband if I ever end up getting divorced, since I will likely make more money than he does or ever will) and adopt if the need to nurture a human being ever arises.
    Here sexism comes in to play. Women get to adopt and men don't. We are handicapped when it comes to reproduction which has been the main driving force of society. Men have been aspiring to power and wealth to ensure the survival of their children, because men can't give birth they have to compensate with time and energy.

Also why do you think you are so special? Do you honestly think that there are no men worthy of your hand? You could just look for someone who shares your interests (i.e. money and power).
    Last edited by Cybran; 2013-02-18 at 09:05 AM.

Historically, Marriage was never about love, it was a business decision. Kings would marry their daughters to other Kingdoms princes to strengthen the royal blood of their offspring and to increase their circle of influence. More recent are big tycoon families merging to increase land. Basically, it's just a tradition that people have forgotten the true meaning of and have misconstrued it to being something more sacred than it actually is.
    It's could've and would've. Not could of and would of. Not sure when "of" started meaning "have," but everyone who thinks it does needs to go back to school.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kio View Post
    Historically, Marriage was never about love, it was a business decision. Kings would marry their daughters to other Kingdoms princes to strengthen the royal blood of their offspring and to increase their circle of influence. More recent are big tycoon families merging to increase land. Basically, it's just a tradition that people have forgotten the true meaning of and have misconstrued it to being something more sacred than it actually is.
    And historically kissing was a way for mothers to transfer pre-chewed food into their infant's mouth; what's your point exactly?
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Seeing as you so dreadfully feared being reduced to a houswife, and yet apparently feel that that would not be the case unless the word "marriage" is thrown in, you could always just not marry someone that would sit around the house all day and make you do housework while he plays video games.
    Wtf did you even read my post?

1. No one can force me to do anything I don't want to do, so no I don't have any irrational fears of "being reduced to being a housewife". Also, my mother was a housewife, there is nothing wrong with choosing that lifestyle if you understand what you are often giving up when you become financially dependent on your spouse.
    2. the second shift applies to WORKING WOMEN.
    3. does not change spousal support, etc.
    4. people change over the course of a lifetime, i.e. that active person you met while rock climbing can very well turn into a sad little couch slug in a few years down the road.

Ultimately, it is pretty much a non debate regarding the fact that women get the short end of the stick in regards to marriage.

No thanks.

And historically kissing was a way for mothers to transfer pre-chewed food into their infant's mouth; what's your point exactly?
    My point was the last sentence of my post.
    It's could've and would've. Not could of and would of. Not sure when "of" started meaning "have," but everyone who thinks it does needs to go back to school.