Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    You don't really get how this pick actually gives has a benefit over others do you?
    In the long run the pick gets better...

You also can't compare boosters with this pick for the same reason. You don't get an advantage at the end of a booster while with the pick that's exactly when it starts to become advantageous.

boosters have short term benefits, the pick has long term benefits

but since you get all of these by just playing the game why is it an issue?

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    You don't really get how this pick actually gives has a benefit over others do you?
    Pretty sure everyone understands how this is an advantage, in a literal and arguing semantics way of saying this is an advantage. Much like saying having $1,000.01 means you have more money than someone who has $1,000.00. The major sticking point being, 'uhh, what's your point?' to everyone who keeps bringing this up.

All of the posts that started this semantic snowball phrased their language like Anet has crossed some unspeakable line and are doing horrible things to horrible people, then have backpedaled into their semantics hole by saying it's literally an advantage so I'm right...na na na.

The end result is that no one should give a crap about this item, but instead we're having forum wars over some potential future advantage that basically has no effect on the economy (which they labor over keeping control of using actual economists, better than most MMOs btw).
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    (which they labor over keeping control of using actual economists, better than most MMOs btw)
    Going to skip over your continued blabber that completely ignores the entire discussion to point out that they do this to maintain high profits from gem sales. What happens when the virtual currency tied directly to gems becomes worthless? No one buys gems with real money.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    Going to skip over your continued blabber that completely ignores the entire discussion to point out that they do this to maintain high profits from gem sales. What happens when the virtual currency tied directly to gems becomes worthless? No one buys gems with real money.
    The put the pick in the gemstore because they knew there would be a ton of idiots who would buy it. I dont think they are sitting their thinking "Hey, Do you know what will make us a killing? A perma pick with cool molten effects"

Ive played a few F2P games and they do this sort of thing sometimes. They will put a item in the shop that perma but only put it in for so long then take it out. Everyone that buys one during that time benefits and those that miss it dont. In the case of this pick there is no real benefit even money wise. Picks dont cost that much. Half the time ppl dont use their picks. People that do use their picks dont use it all in one session of play. Most ppl dont sell ores. People that farm easily make back the cost of a pick.

Gold not important in GW2 unless your trying to make an exotic or legendary.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Going to skip over your continued blabber that completely ignores the entire discussion
    So like...every one of your posts? I can't take you seriously if you can't resist throwing unwarranted insults every time you type. It's not impressive. I'd be eager to have an actual conversation with you if you could do that...you know...like many other people are doing right now. Anyways, moving on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    The put the pick in the gemstore because they knew there would be a ton of idiots who would buy it. I dont think they are sitting their thinking "Hey, Do you know what will make us a killing? A perma pick with cool molten effects"
    Nor did they create the entire Razing story and content for the purposes of selling us new dye and a lava pick...which is what people here would like for you to believe, on top of the fact that somehow this whole game is abusing you through a completely optional and incredibly sparse cash shop which doesn't affect the game on a day to day or month to month basis.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    So like...every one of your posts?
    I (and a few others) have laid out pretty clear points, most of which have not even been touched. No, you're the one that's not interested in having any discussion because you completely avoid the topic to make asinine comments like that. I should know better than to bother continuing at this point, but I can't help it.

Nor did they create the entire Razing story and content for the purposes of selling us new dye and a lava pick...which is what people here would like for you to believe, on top of the fact that somehow this whole game is abusing you through a completely optional and incredibly sparse cash shop which doesn't affect the game on a day to day or month to month basis.
    I know you have difficulty with this whole strawman thing, so I'll lay it out for you:

No one is suggesting the living story (or anything else) was done only with the intent to sell items in the gem shop. However, as with every new piece of content, they absolutely adore selling you everything they possibly can that can somehow be related to the content. Seriously, just look at the things they've listed on the shop. A beanie to go with the karka event? Random backpacks? A huge assortment of skins/dyes that are/were limited time and can nearly always only be obtained through RNG and a gem-purchased item. Aaannnnd now a consumable that offers an in-game advantage beyond a temporary convenience (i.e. boosters). If that's not at least... slightly, semi-noticeable/alarming looking at their track record, then you don't belong in any of these discussions because logic and reason are foreign concepts to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    ... I don't need to point out that those 2 sentences directly contradict each other, do I? Maybe I do...

"They put it in so people would buy it"

"They didn't put it in because people would buy it"

I don't follow.
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2013-04-17 at 08:29 PM.

The problem I have with it is it's $10.00.. There is no way I am spending $10.00 on that and it is not even account bound!.. Maybe if it was the pick/sickle and axe. But not a single pick which can only be used on one character.

10+ Year Old Account
    I (and a few others) have laid out pretty clear points, most of which have not even been touched.
    People have addressed your point numerous times and you are ignoring it.

With the breakeven on this item not happening until 6.8 to 82.2 years in the future because vendor picks are so darn cheap in the game there is no financial advantage, no P2W.

It's strictly a vanity item, a collectible (and therein lies it's value). Years from now a new player will see someone with the pick and be all like "Whoa! Where did you get that???" And the veteran player that bought it can say, "Back in 2013 F&F Living Story, can't get it anymore."
    Valar morghulis

Stick to the topic, not attacking each other please. I'd rather not have to toss out more warnings or infract/close anything.

Next up: Ecto Icecream machine: Spawns 1 ecto per 12 hours on use.
    Rare candy: Consumable that increases level by 1. Stacks up to 80 times.
    Rent a legendary: A more powerful version of a legendary with 2x the stats of an exotic. Yours for 72 hours!
    Karma friendship token: A secondary karma item used instead of karma.

Hate to break it to some people. This item in itself may not be much. However, I'd be worried if this is just the start....Give them money for tiny advantages, and they will start releasing more advantages that increase in size little by little each time.
    Last edited by woodydave44; 2013-04-18 at 02:00 AM.

Except the only way in which it is any sort of advantage is a) in making money b) after 50k+ uses c) on a single character d) which is mostly useless outside of working for a legendary and travelling. It doesn't introduce anything into the economy (you're not producing items/power/content through money). All this slippery slope fallacy business is just that, a fallacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Oh, well in that case.

Know where to find any decent gold buying sites? I mean, using my real money on useless gold should have no effect on the economy right?
    Thats exactly what youre doing here. Using real money to convert into game advantages, no matter how small you might think.
    Last edited by woodydave44; 2013-04-18 at 02:27 AM.

No reason to use gold buying sites, just convert your gems. You can literally buy all the gold you want in the game if you have the cash. Means you can buy a legendary for IRL money.

legendaries are easily skipped with irl cash. Working to be rich in the game is easily skipped with irl cash.

I'm actually not sure what long-term goals exist.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by woodydave44 View Post
    Oh, well in that case.

Know where to find any decent gold buying sites? I mean, using my real money on useless gold should have no effect on the economy right?
    Thats exactly what youre doing here. Using real money to convert into game advantages, no matter how small you might think.

No more than buying an online Blizzcon ticket to get the pet to use in pet battles.
    Sheesh, really really reaching here
    Valar morghulis

Oh, well in that case.

A) Money->Gems<->Gold already. B) Power limit, and you can't buy power in the gem shop, so no tangible advantage. Again, everyone knows that, after some (extremely) long time, you'll eventually break even on the mining pick and pull ahead. But, at (the minimum) 50k uses to break even, and assuming 1 sec per use, you're looking at nearly 14 hours of constant mining (of orichalcum)...which is a hell of a lot longer in actual time played. So if your purpose is to get ahead in gold using real money, the mining pick is only good in the really long view...otherwise, you're better off doing the straight conversion...which has been in the game since day 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Oh, well in that case.

It's magically creating gold! The pick is making gold rain down from the heavens upon those who shelled out the cash! The game is dooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeedddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd ddddddd

Or the more realistic response: If you haven't read, it takes a very long time at current rates for the pick to pay itself off in-game, and then beyond that adds a minor advantage at best. You would need to be an extremely serious miner for it to have any actual affect on the economy, and even then it's a micro-effect that doesn't change the overall prices within the economy, thus making the purchase less consequential as time goes on (especially since the value of gold generally continues to decrease over time).

The items that should be in the gem shop are convenience, and cosmetic items. This item fits the convenience role. This is probably one the few items that I am tempted to buy. I no longer would have to buy different types of picks anymore, saving me bag space, and the headache of having to buy picks out in the field because you forgot.

People would really read my original post and see the point I'm trying to make, instead of getting all defensive over the release of the item itself.

BTW (offtopic) - gold buying sites sell for a 10th of the price. Just sayin.
    Last edited by woodydave44; 2013-04-18 at 05:31 AM.

People would really read my original post and see the point I'm trying to make, instead of getting all defensive over the release of the item itself.
    I have read your post and it contains nothing but supposition. In reality, the pick provides absolutely no advantage at all. Nothing, zilch, nada. It's more profitable to just buy gems and hold onto them. You will make more gold in the long run. It's strictly an item for convenience and looks and nothing more. You are posting something that is almost impossible as facts about what will happen with absolutely no substance to back it up. It's a wild theory, that's all, and an extremely unlikely one at that too.

By theory, I am not referring to your concept and not to the examples themselves.