10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks guys! I remember seeing those missions marked as "Hard" through "Devestating" and thought they were involved in something endgame. I might have to go back and give them a whirl now.

10+ Year Old Account
    I suggest you bring a tank friend.

This game caught my attention when it was released, but I never gave it a chance. I wasn't sure of the character customization and the weapon choices I saw seemed a little underwhelming.

Sill, the game's theme stands out to me and it seems proper for a "modern" mmo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeveri View Post
    This game caught my attention when it was released, but I never gave it a chance. I wasn't sure of the character customization and the weapon choices I saw seemed a little underwhelming.

Sill, the game's theme stands out to me and it seems proper for a "modern" mmo.

I would give it a whirl. The B2P model makes it very attractive and its really different than everything else on the market. The character customization thing is weird at first, but I've grown to absolutely love the freedom it gives in character development and specialization. It also lets me continue to "build" a character after I've maxed out a build I like.

But honestly, I play it more like a multiplayer version of Silent Hill rather than a full blown MMO. The mindset has been benefitial for me at least.

anyone know what affects performance the most in this game? been experiencing some stuttering and can't figure what to adjust to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    anyone know what affects performance the most in this game? been experiencing some stuttering and can't figure what to adjust to fix it.
    Try using DX9 and make sure you are on 64-bit Windows. SLI can also affect stuttering if you are set up for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Before I toss this, I just wanted to show my work on one of the investigation missions. Proud of myself.

http://i.imgur.com/KJrJ2au.jpg

ah ciphers

I have to admit, I looked those up. I have very little patience for things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    ah ciphers

I have to admit, I looked those up. I have very little patience for things like that.
    yeah the missions seem to expect me to put in more work then I'd like too. for example deciphering morse code, i don't even consider trying to figure that out.

yeah the missions seem to expect me to put in more work then I'd like too. for example deciphering morse code, i don't even consider trying to figure that out.
    Now see, that sort of thing I really enjoyed. Researching and translating in later zones was really fun imo too.

That's the beauty of the internet. You can look up the solution and skip it if you want, but for those of us (like me!) who loves that kind of stuff it's hours of fun!

The morse code from the car in Blue Mountains sucked, though. Not because the code was hard, but because it was damn hard to catch what dots and dashes the lights were trying to blink.

Yea, I love the actual puzzles in the game. There is something old school-ish about it that I enjoy. Reminds me of the old text based PC games when I was a kid-- they always had weird arcane puzzles that were either ciphers, mathematical formulas or required some sort of careful reading and linguistics.

I do appreciate that in TSW I can actually be stumped by a puzzle on occasion.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll admit, the morse code missions (I've ran into 2) I've looked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    ah ciphers

See I did the cipher by myself no help but the hell am I suppose to do mores code by myself? Da fuk

TSW is quite nice in terms of storytelling, atmosphere and exploration. It does have a couple of issues, though:

• Very little combat feedback. Smashing a zombie's head in with a hammer should feel awesome. In TSW it feels exactly like hitting thin air, which just makes the combat very detached. You hit buttons and see numbers.
    • Everything is based around a combo point system. You spam boring generic abilities until you have 5 combo points, then you use one special finisher per weapon (you always carry 2 weapon sets, e.g. Shotgun + Sword). There are also a couple of buffs you can use, but since you only get one (active) quick bar you're quite limited in what you can pick.
    • You level up by spending Skill Points in weapon and talisman lines (these are the stat items since clothing is cosmetic). Once you have spent 10 points in all 3 talisman lines and 2 weapon lines, you're essentially at max level. The problem with that you have to pick 2 weapons and stick with those if you don't want to do the low level zones over and over. Being unable to spread out and try different weapons felt very discouraging as a new player (there is no respec).

I can't really comment on endgame PvE. PvP is said to be horrible because it mixes players of different levels and there is allegedly no "class" balance, but I haven't tried it myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feranor View Post
    • You level up by spending Skill Points in weapon and talisman lines (these are the stat items since clothing is cosmetic). Once you have spent 10 points in all 3 talisman lines and 2 weapon lines, you're essentially at max level. The problem with that you have to pick 2 weapons and stick with those if you don't want to do the low level zones over and over. Being unable to spread out and try different weapons felt very discouraging as a new player (there is no respec).
    I've maxed out my talismans, rifle and pistol and I've started to level my elemental. Since I'm using my max skills and my leveling build, I haven't had the NEED to back track and start anything over. I did back track through Solomon's Island to do all the new missions I missed, but I did not do any of the old ones I had already completed. It's actually quite easy to max out AP/SP. Saving up for the Aux. Weapons is a pain because you need the full 35 SP before you can spend/use it.

One thing that irks me, and it did when I played originally is the mob density is insane. It's good for XP, but sometimes it's annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by paxen View Post
    That's the beauty of the internet. You can look up the solution and skip it if you want, but for those of us (like me!) who loves that kind of stuff it's hours of fun!

The morse code from the car in Blue Mountains sucked, though. Not because the code was hard, but because it was damn hard to catch what dots and dashes the lights were trying to blink.
    Best method I have found was to download a Morse Code app called "morse code reader". Simply turn the app on and put your phone mic to the speaker/headset and it will handle the rest :P

Quote Originally Posted by skitzin View Post
    Best method I have found was to download a Morse Code app called "morse code reader". Simply turn the app on and put your phone mic to the speaker/headset and it will handle the rest :P
    Which is great help for the quest in Kingsmouth, but useless for the visual morse code you get in Blue Mountains :-/

Feranor: I'm not going to say your concerns aren't valid, but the game does have a way to mitigate spending wrong points (without redoing content): Costs of skills/abilities increase as you "level up" (1, 2, 3 and so on for SP, 9, 16, 21 and so on for AP), and progress through the game the income of AP/SP from missions keep pace (as you get more and more xp per mission). That means that the relative cost of starting over is lessened all the time. Say you got Skill 5 in pistols, and want to switch to blade. The 6 points you'd need to level pistols could instead buy you Skill 3 in Blades. The 13 points you need to go from 5 to 7 could instead nearly get you to Skill 5 in blades (15 points). It's a cost to "respec", but it's nowhere near as prohibitive as it first seems.

When I ran through the content for the first time, in just Kingsmouth I used Chaos, Pistols, Elemental and Hammer. Going through Blue Mountains and Egypt I had settled on a Pistols/Ele crit build, that also relied heavily on Hammer passives. To get through the Black Pharaoh I had to redo my build completely, as it simply didn't have enough survival. I think I ended up with Hammer/Chaos (which I hadn't spent SP on since the Savage Coast). In Transylvania I then switched over to a Rifle/Ele Hinder build (which was awesome against non-nightmare mobs). SP and AP earned in Transylvania went to rounding out the builds and buying abilities for a Hammer/Chaos Impair build (for the Nightmare Werewolf mission in Besieged Farmlands).

I managed to progress through the entire game without redoing almost any missions, and I used 5 different weapons on the way. Sure, I didn't do it in the first month, and I did the Investigations in every mission pack as they were released. But I never had to go back and redo missions.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just finished the whole "Issue #6: The Last Train To Cairo". The last mission where you have to stop the train was rough. Took me a few hours and a perfect setup to beat it. Very fun mission line. Although, I'm going to redo it I missed the chance to get the whip.

So, anyone have a spare one of those buddy trial passes for me? ^.^

I am REALLY looking forward to buying this game...ever since Rift's f2p announcement, I've been planning on canceling my WoW sub, but the one concern I kept having is that even though Rift is much more open-ended in terms of character builds, it ended up still feeling kind of restrictive. That, plus the setting...I've been playing fantasy-themed mmo's for too long now. TOR was a nice change of pace, but it's an "old" setting too, was looking for something completely new.

The modern theme is really interesting to me, and I do like a good conspiracy romp. My favorite game of all time is the original Deus Ex, for the setting, story, and the degree of customization). This game seems like the closest thing I'll ever see in my life to a Deus Ex MMO.

So yeah, I'm totally sold, I just want to get a trial thing first, because I want to make sure it can actually run decently on my PC, and I've heard some people have performance issues on slower computers like mine.

One question I have is, is support/offhealing something one can do in dungeons, or are people pretty much stuck on the Trinity in this game? I'm going to be some pairing of Blood, Chaos, and Fist--I generally dislike full healing but I really like playing support. If that's not an option I'll probably just tank.

Anyway, can't wait to get my feet wet.