Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I don't get why you all want to get married. It's a crappy institution. We should just abolish it for both straight and gay people already.
    It's crappy because the wrong people get married these days. It's as much of a joke as the past two presidencies.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Quote Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
    A majority of Californians supports gay marriage.
    That must be why they voted it down several times. Do you even know what Prop 8 was?

DOMA being overturned is offensive to the sanctity of my marriage as a heterosexual man, how will I explain to my children what they're seeing... the storm is coming.

It's only a matter of time now, soon there will be a gay bar on every street corner trying to seduce and corrupt the young and impressionable. I'm willing to bet they will even hold indoctrination sessions once a week to completely take over the world with their gay agenda.

Or at least, that's what a bigot would say.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Bigots who find gays weird.

ITS ICKY!

Oh Christ. This is the stuff I'm talking about with you. Its like you don't see the fact that you're doing the exact same thing you constantly cry about other people doing. Do you really not see that? Or do you just ignore it?
    Yeah this is coming from the guy that made these comments:

Shockingly, people have different opinions on different subjects. I know, its a novel concept.

---

You'd almost think he was ignoring the actual Constitution and is being a partisan.

Oh wait.

At least he speaks during the hearings? More than you can say about Thomas. I wish I could get a job as cushy as that. Don't say anything during your job, agree with your outspoken ideologically buddy, and make bank.

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Any ideas which way that entire thing is going to go?
    I really have no idea, the whole thing is too complicated to make a guess which would be worth something.

For one thing I don't know whether the ruling left-wing coalition has the balls to stand up to the "people" and essentially paint themselves as totalitarian for not allowing an undemocratic referendum (where the majority gets to oppress a minority). I also don't know whether the Constitutional Court are going to allow themselves to be influenced by the wishes of the people or whether they're going to listen to their own left-wing tendencies (most of them are left wing as far as I understand). I also can't asses what the majority of Croats would think on the referendum if it were held, and even if I knew what the majority would think, I wouldn't know which side would be more motivated to go vote (because the anti-gay people are more or less really motivated due to religion here while the pro-gay people essentially don't care too much).

If it passes, are you going to leave and move to another country?
    Whether I'm leaving Croatia wont be dependent on that. If I'm going to leave, it's going to be because of better job opportunities (my current plan is to get a Master's or PhD in physics here in the capital and then optimally move to one of the more developed EU countries). I wont let how good gay rights are in the potential countries I might move to influence my decision for a few reasons; 1) Legal frameworks of a relationship don't mean much to me, I don't care whether my partner and I are in a marriage, a civil union, an unregistered partnership or simply boyfriends, 2) Love isn't a huge thing in my life. Yes, you heard it, I don't care too much about love. Getting someone to spend the rest of my life with isn't a huge goal for me unlike 99% of the population of the planet.

Edit: In fact, I'd prefer to never get married, and that's because I hate conformity from the bottom of my heart. Sure, the legal benefits might be good, but in that case a civil union with equal rights is sufficient. I don't want to go through the entire social process of getting married. I don't need a wedding, I don't need a honeymoon and I don't need a ring to prove my love to someone, JUST LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE. If I'm going to symbolically show my love toward someone through some sort of object then it's going to be on my own way, not the socially prescribed way.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2013-06-26 at 03:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    DOMA being overturned is offensive to the sanctity of my marriage as a heterosexual man, how will I explain to my children what they're seeing... the storm is coming.

It's only a matter of time now, soon there will be a gay bar on every street corner trying to seduce and corrupt the young and impressionable. I'm willing to bet they will even hold indoctrination sessions once a week to completely take over the world with their gay agenda.

Or at least, that's what a bigot would say.
    Sadly that is what a lot of them say. None of it is true, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by oblivionx View Post
    Yeah this is coming from the guy that made these comments:

Shockingly, people have different opinions on different subjects. I know, its a novel concept.

---

You'd almost think he was ignoring the actual Constitution and is being a partisan.

Oh wait.

At least he speaks during the hearings? More than you can say about Thomas. I wish I could get a job as cushy as that. Don't say anything during your job, agree with your outspoken ideologically buddy, and make bank.

Yet I'm not the one crying about it in one thread while doing it in the same thread. That is you. I also like how you missed the fact that I said not every opinion is as valid as every other one. Guess it didn't fit your point, eh? Or maybe you'll spin it into another aspect of your victim complex. "YOU DON'T THINK CONSERVATIVE OPINIONS ARE AS VALID AS LIBERAL ONES." On this issue? I most certainly do not. Although on many others, I do. At least except for you.

From everything I've seen from you on this site, all you do is come into a thread, repeatedly spout the insults or party line, and then leave with no factual backup. None of that really bothers me though.

What does is the arrogance of it.

Sufficiently offtopic now, so I'm done with you.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2013-06-26 at 03:35 PM.

So... can somebody lay it to me straight what has been won today?

I mean, what does this do for Gay rights? Can they now legally call it "marriage", but it is now up to the states weither it's legal marriage or not?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    You said 'probably', didn't seem definitive and I'm being too lazy to check. It wasn't meant to say I don't believe you. My bad...
    Yeah I was saying probably to the $3M because I don't know how accurate it is, but the rest is precisely what happened.

Interesting read on Clinton and DOMA. It's obviously all politics, shocking I know.

I don't get why you all want to get married. It's a crappy institution. We should just abolish it for both straight and gay people already.
    I don't get why the government is even involved in marriage. It's a religious ceremony/social union.

Oh that's right, state and local governments want to extra cash from selling you marriage licenses.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've abolished it already. Been with my gf for nearly 15 years, we choose to not be married. I don't see why gay folks can't have a right to abolish marriage, like I did.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    So... can somebody lay it to me straight what has been won today?

I mean, what does this do for Gay rights? Can they now legally call it "marriage", but it is now up to the states weither it's legal marriage or not?"
    Yes. If we can marry in the state we're in, we're afforded federal protection. If not, we can travel to a state that does, get married, and get the same protections on a federal (but not state), level in our home state.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsdaleHokie View Post
    Do you even know what Prop 8 was?
    An intentionally misleading and confusing bill put up by the Mormon Church intended to unconstitutionally remove rights that had been previously granted?

---------- Post added 2013-06-26 at 03:24 PM ----------

It's a religious ceremony/social union.
    Nope, it carries legal power and groups have fought to deny people who are NOT married access to tax protection and even visitation rights at hospitals.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm happy for lgbt... but does this mean I don't have to endure those stupid parades? It always seems that I have to go through downtown when there's one of them going on... since I already live in a state that is pro lgbt and allows marriage between same sex... does this mean I don't have to see a single parade for lgbt ever again? I hope so... The whole reason those parades were invented, was so that they could attract attention towards their cause. Since there's no cause to fight for here in my state, I don't want to see a single lgbt parade again.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivionx View Post
    What is your opinion? He answered a question, that the person I asked was unwilling to. Right now, you are not giving your opinion, just attacking individuals as some representation of a whole. You think a gay marriage granted in Washington, should be ignored in other states?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    I'm happy for lgbt... but does this mean I don't have to endure those stupid parades? It always seems that I have to go through downtown when there's one of them going on... since I already live in a state that is pro lgbt and allows marriage between same sex... does this mean I don't have to see a single parade for lgbt ever again? I hope so... The whole reason those parades were invented, was so that they could attract attention towards their cause. Since there's no cause to fight for here in my state, I don't want to see a single lgbt parade again.
    Even as a gay man I hate those stupid parades too

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    An intentionally misleading and confusing bill put up by the Mormon Church intended to unconstitutionally remove rights that had been previously granted?

---------- Post added 2013-06-26 at 03:24 PM ----------

Nope, it carries legal power and groups have fought to deny people who are NOT married access to tax protection and even visitation rights at hospitals.
    That's what I'm saying Einstein. Marriage should carry any of those benefits, it's nothing more than a religious ceremony.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Even as a gay man I hate those stupid parades too
    You'd find it difficult to find a gay person on this forum who doesn't. ^^

Still, provided they don't have drag queens and all sorts of weird people (and thankfully they don't here), I don't really oppose them.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's what I'm saying Einstein. Marriage should carry any of those benefits, it's nothing more than a religious ceremony.
    Marriage is not a wedding. A Wedding is a religious ceremony, marriage is a legal contract.

Stood in the Fire eldritchforeshadow's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Excellent news for all gay people! I am not gay but I do have a gay best friend and I support all gay rights. I am happy and so is my friend!