Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hurray! I love this idea. Also, this island seems to have no flying again. Another one, hmm.

This strange form of gating is really just another sign that Blizz is trying to appease the hardcore competitive elitist crowd (which I will shamelessly admit I am a part of) alongside the whingy casual crowd. I hope Blizzard stops trying to please everyone with this convoluted design and, in the next expansion, goes back to a style of game with a bit of substance to it. Grinding easy content has never been fun. Playing through challenging content that makes you think is infinitely more fun, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasani View Post
    This boss seems pointless to me.

First of all, you need the legendary cloak. Ok, fine. But if the next part of the quest chain that upgrades your 600 ilevel cape to the legendary takes as long as the last couple of parts did, you're looking at a couple of months before you even get the thing.
    Nope ... people could theoretically be on him the first day. You don't need to step into SoO for legendary cape. You kill mobs on the Timeless Isle for 50 coin thingies, and you defeat the other 4 new world bosses.

Might not be groups on that first day since there will be fierce competition for Isle mobs for the coins, but it's within the realm of possibility.

---------- Post added 2013-06-30 at 07:55 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by WarpKnight View Post
    This strange form of gating is really just another sign that Blizz is trying to appease the hardcore competitive elitist crowd (which I will shamelessly admit I am a part of) alongside the whingy casual crowd. I hope Blizzard stops trying to please everyone with this convoluted design and, in the next expansion, goes back to a style of game with a bit of substance to it. Grinding easy content has never been fun. Playing through challenging content that makes you think is infinitely more fun, imo.
    Financially it would make more sense for Blizz to cater only to the, as you call it, "whingy casual crowd" than to your crowd. You're a fraction of a fraction. All because you don't like it doesn't mean it's bad. What you find "fun" isn't necessarily what others find fun.

Personally I think it's great Blizz is trying to give things to the different crowds that play this game. Just sad that the different crowds have vocal sub-minorities within them that see the other segment as the enemy. Wish that the (very few) casual players who have a problem with exclusive content would take a step back and notice that the overwhelming majority of content in this game is accessible to them, and that the (very few) players who seem to have some inherent problem with the casual players would take a step back and realize that their precious high-end pvp and pve is paid for by the casual players. In fact I think the greater burden of humbleness and appreciation should be on the elite players, because without casuals there wouldn't be enough money coming in to justify having content only 1-3% of the playerbase will ever see.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Balazaar View Post
    I think some of us are arguing about different things, and it's confusing the issue. So let's try this ...

It's 5.0 again. You see the legendary questline. Why did you choose to do the quest?

1. I did the quest to get the legendary. Totally fair.
    2. I did the quest because I like quests. Fine.
    3. I did the quest because it is there, or some other reason. Great.

What you did NOT do was start the quest because it was required to kill a world boss. You didn't know about that. Would you have started the quest had you known? For some people the answer is yes. This is the issue I'm peeved about.

I'm willing to put in the work if I want the reward. I don't feel I'm entitled to see a boss without it. What I AM entitled to is knowing, when the quest comes out, what the rewards will be.

Blizzard changed the reward mid-stream for doing the quest. THAT is the issue to me. Not entitlement. Not the gating of content. All I want is to know when the quest comes out what the reward will be. Not told 9 months later.
    Are you saying an ilvl 600 cloak isn't enough motivation, but ilvl 553 items are?

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    A gating mechanism is locking people out. It's not a hard lock coded into the software but it is virtually the same in effect and for basically no reason as far as I can tell.
    Ugh! Freaking levels, man! They lock me out from Pandaria content just because I haven't spent the time and effort to level my alt yet! Seriously, stupid gating mechanism keeping me out for basically no reason as far as I can tell.

That's how you sound.

I have no idea why difficult world bosses are even a thing.

If you want to tackle difficult bosses in a large, coordinated group, then raid.

If you want to tackle difficulty bosses in groups of random people you've never met before or will never meet again, then what the hell is wrong with you?

Deleted
    It's utterly fucking stupid and ass backwards. Seriously it's terrible design to lock other players out so SOME people can feel fucking special. I hope they lose a whole bunch of subs over this. Or better yet I hope theirs enough backlash they reverse this.

Warning: Tone down the language. -Azshira
    If you were as passionate about getting the legendary cloak as you were about posting how you deserve to get spoonfed gear, maybe you'd have it by now!

This is a great idea, and how anyone can be mad at this is beyond me. Go finish the legendary-quest istead of crying.

10+ Year Old Account
    I find I am lacking cares, I have zero cares to give.

though it's kinda funny that legendaries have gone from luck to expected
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Balazaar View Post
    I think some of us are arguing about different things, and it's confusing the issue. So let's try this ...

It's 5.0 again. You see the legendary questline. Why did you choose to do the quest?

1. I did the quest to get the legendary. Totally fair.
    2. I did the quest because I like quests. Fine.
    3. I did the quest because it is there, or some other reason. Great.

What you did NOT do was start the quest because it was required to kill a world boss. You didn't know about that. Would you have started the quest had you known? For some people the answer is yes. This is the issue I'm peeved about.

I'm willing to put in the work if I want the reward. I don't feel I'm entitled to see a boss without it. What I AM entitled to is knowing, when the quest comes out, what the rewards will be.

Blizzard changed the reward mid-stream for doing the quest. THAT is the issue to me. Not entitlement. Not the gating of content. All I want is to know when the quest comes out what the reward will be. Not told 9 months later.

You're right, that should be the main issue. Not this "I pay the same, therefore I should see and be able to do everything" argument.

However, even though you only found out now, you could LFR your way to a legendary cloak and additional boss before it was anywhere near outdated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Now every expansion, Blizzard releases a new class, or 2 new races into the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    Why would someone create malware for a mac? Is there a black market for photo albums of cats and half written novels?

Quote Originally Posted by Shampro View Post
    How does this have 32 pages already? How much does it have to be said? You want to fight that boss? Yes? Then better get going on the quests. You dont give a shit about it? Then dont even bother with it, and let the people who cared about progressing in it have ONE STUPID BOSS LOL
    Im still trying to figure out how is anyone complaning about this, Jesus, this community.
    You should really know by now that MMOC community can and will bitch about anything, for any reason, with no fundamental knowledge or even a pretense of logic.

I tried reading through the thread to even see why people were complaining, I still don't even know. Some people from both sides of the fence arguing that the other side is acting too entitled, and then something about world bosses...

Thanks Blizzard, for continuing to put out quality content. This is content that can and will be accessible to everyone. If you choose not to put in the effort, you're not being excluded. You're excluding yourself. You can't beat Diablo without going through the plot first, right? So then what's left to argue about? For something that seems so blatantly common sense, how is there even an argument about the methodology of this boss implementation at all?
    my rank 1's from years ago don't mean dookie now lmao

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    ...though it's kinda funny that legendaries have gone from luck to expected
    I think it speaks volumes when players complain a game is too easy, VS too hard.
    Now every expansion, Blizzard releases a new class, or 2 new races into the game.
    Why would someone create malware for a mac? Is there a black market for photo albums of cats and half written novels?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    Personally I think it's great Blizz is trying to give things to the different crowds that play this game. Just sad that the different crowds have vocal sub-minorities within them that see the other segment as the enemy. Wish that the (very few) casual players who have a problem with exclusive content would take a step back and notice that the overwhelming majority of content in this game is accessible to them, and that the (very few) players who seem to have some inherent problem with the casual players would take a step back and realize that their precious high-end pvp and pve is paid for by the casual players. In fact I think the greater burden of humbleness and appreciation should be on the elite players, because without casuals there wouldn't be enough money coming in to justify having content only 1-3% of the playerbase will ever see.
    One problem with this whole theory that can be seen very easily in sales. Wow was successful because it was a carrot on a stick. Lately they have given the carrot to players. And when you get the carrot.. nothing is left, and they leave.

I'm not trying to argue one way or the other. I always felt wrath worked the best, 10 man was easy beans, but there was still that stick there, that kept players coming back.

---------- Post added 2013-06-30 at 04:39 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Raelys View Post
    You're right, that should be the main issue. Not this "I pay the same, therefore I should see and be able to do everything" argument.

However, even though you only found out now, you could LFR your way to a legendary cloak and additional boss before it was anywhere near outdated.
    I'm curious if the legendary will have any form of catch up, I mean.. who wants to run 5.0 raids for marks?
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm curious if the legendary will have any form of catch up, I mean.. who wants to run 5.0 raids for marks?
    If they weren't planning on adding one, I should think they will come Monday morning.

I hope everyone in my guild gets the legendary cloak at the same rate in 5.4 else half the guild will be locked out if we want to try this boss seems kinda weird....thats not even considering some who have rerolled and are slightly behind they might just catch up before 5.4 hits but still.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's utterly fucking stupid and ass backwards. Seriously it's terrible design to lock other players out so SOME people can feel fucking special. I hope they lose a whole bunch of subs over this. Or better yet I hope theirs enough backlash they reverse this.

Warning: Tone down the language. -Azshira
    Can I comment how the moderator is telling this poster to tone down the language after infracting me and calling me a D word?

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Ok I must intervene, there is far too many insults being thrown around over such a pathetic topic. In all fairness the majority of insults are directed towards the same poster who's on a mission to make his voice heard with his rage about entitlement. I ask this particular poster to calm down, if there is a huge problem go directly to Blizzards website. There is ZERO entitlement or 'special boss for special snowflakes' occurring, please view this from all angle; and that goes to everyone. If the thread continues to stay as it is, it will be locked - which is unfair to those debating this topic peacefully. Thank you.

The drop rate of the RNG drops is being buffed, this will be the 2nd time it's been buffed for the 5.0 raids. So that part will go pretty fast.
    The requirement on the valor point collection quest has already been lowered.
    The mini boss you have to kill for a change of command has already been nerfed.

The quest was thrown at you as soon as you hit level 90.
    It has had a requirement of "get enough gear to get into LFR". As Preach recently proved you don't even have to hit the boss to get through LFR runs.

You get a legendary cloak pretty much for just turning up and requires no more personal effort than get geared for LFR, queue, walk to each of the boss rooms, farm black prince rep, do some solo scenarios.

I fail to see exactly what point people are being gated here. Every step of the way is easily accessible. If you don't want to take part in one of the central level 90 questlines you are already stating that you have no interest in seeing all the content.

If you are going to pick and chose which bits of the game you are going to put effort into you absolutely cannot expect to pick and chose which bits you get access to.

One problem with this whole theory that can be seen very easily in sales. Wow was successful because it was a carrot on a stick. Lately they have given the carrot to players. And when you get the carrot.. nothing is left, and they leave.

I'm not trying to argue one way or the other. I always felt wrath worked the best, 10 man was easy beans, but there was still that stick there, that kept players coming back.
    This ignores so many variables ... but most importantly, it ignores that the (subscription) MMO market as a whole began to tank around then. Most games, and nearly all sub-based games, began to shrink around the same time.

http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-1.png

http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-2.png

http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/TotalSubs.png

Of course this itself does not fill in all the gaps or answer all the questions. But, if it were only a problem with WoW, then why did so many other games experience big (most of them bigger, proportionally, than WoW) losses around the same time ? Did those other games also change their formula around the same time ? All of them ?

Or is it more likely the (subscription) MMORPG market is itself simply shrinking (for myriad reasons, of course), rather than all of these sub-based games becoming objectively worse all within the same couple years ?
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

So I should start complaining about why I can't get access to killing Ra-den, just because it's optional why can't I do Ra-den? Why should I have to gear up and go through all that "crap" just to do that boss? I should be able to just queue LFR and be able to kill it at the end, why restrict it like this? It's stupid and outrageous!!!!

Hurhurhur No.
    Last edited by Sweetimpact; 2013-06-30 at 09:03 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fearist View Post
    mad cause you're a casual and you can't have everything? get outta here. casuals gonna casual

Rude and highly unnecessary. -Azshira
    i disagree. im pretty much a casual, but im still doing the legendary chain quest & have started collecting titan runestones.
    dont always think that being a casual is a bad thing & we dont do anything.

My god some people can complain.. If everything would be up for grabs for anyone, whats the point of playing this game? They already went to far with opening up 95% for all the casual players that never complained before about not seeing an end boss, that was reserved for the 'heroes' (good players) on the realm.

But missing out on a boss has now become a reason to rage. People dont care for epics or ilvl, but they do want to be able to kill it on alts, explain to me why that is? So, you got the cloak on your main correct? You have seen the 'epicness' of the worldboss. But for some reason, you MUST have seen it in your alt, no no, not for gear, just out of the epicness of the boss. Because by all means, you killed those awesome bosses like Nalak, Sha, Galleon and Oondasta, which requires you to spread out and nuke whatever lives (or afk and collect the loot, also fine). Even the stupidly easy Baradin Hold fights were harder.

Blizzard spoiled way to much players with LFR and faction tagging. You are not missing out on a World boss, you didnt participate in one part of the game, in Ordos is part of that. They even let you complete it trough LFR, build for 99% of the complainers here, but nooo, way to much commitment, actually playing the game to unlock things seems silly, just like all the other existing games in the world.