Throne of Thunder Advice

ToT reforging / tips

Curious as to how people reforge for certain bosses in Heroic ToT 10m for BM/Surv. Assuming you have the Meta,Tier bonuses, Bad Juju, Renataki's Soul Charm and a sporebat(I joke I joke). The two bosses that sparked my interest were Survival for Jin'rokh and BM for Durumu. Understanding the differences can be very minor due to the random nature of trinkets.

Usually I'm playing

Survival -> Jin'rokh, Horridon, Council, Tortos and Ji-Kun I usually stick with Crit > Haste > Mastery.

BM -> Megaera, Durumu, Primordius, Animus, Iron Qon, Twin Consorts and Lei Shen I usually stick with Haste> Crit> Mastery.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________ _____________

Also on a sidenote I did have a few queries to be aimed at anyone who feels confident/cares to share.

1- Have been laying a Explosive Trap on Durumu a moment before the ice walls spawn, is this a worthwhile dps increase at all?

2- Tips for Council? I Try lay traps way before the pull (damn those surprise pull timers). Keep SrS rolling on everything except Mar'li at the beginning and usually hit a few Multi-shots if 3+ are grouped (during the omg too much focus opener). Positioning myself throughout the fight to hit everything with barrage. Usually pet-passive and leave my pet on Sul till he dies.

3- Megaera pet re-summoning? Normal mode Megaera never gave me any problems but the Arcane head in Heroic causes my pet to stay behind a rock LoS'ing me during rages and generally being useless. Thinking of always dismissing it on the Arcane head just before it dies and summoning another, giving me a fresh Rabid. If adds aren't up would it be a dps increase to do this for every head if timed well enough?

Thanks and sorry for the wall of text =D

1- Yes, if you're BM that's + aoe on all the walls, if you're sv you're trading single dmg on boss to do aoe on wall,s which is prefered. Also, more lnl proc chance.
    2- Atm, since my guild is steamrolling all tot already, i can go slack mode and go BM or MM on this fight, but what you say is the right thing to do. Just don't forget to re-send your pet to attack another target once Sul is dead.
    3- Never had a problem with pet path issues, either lfr, normal or heroic. I usually do this boss as BM. The only issue i have is after we kill the arcane head, the pet takes some time to reach me to dps the frozen head, something that is solved by calling him back before arcane head dies.

You can also read http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ips-and-Tricks
    Last edited by WarBringerPT; 2013-07-23 at 01:33 PM.

1 - If on progression, yes, after you've killed it a few times you can keep using Black Arrow on boss. I still save Barrage if Ice walls are within 15 sec because you gain like quadruple damage from that 1 Barrage when used at Walls rather than single target boss.

2 - on 3 targets, Multi-shot wins clearly as a focus dump(Replaces AS), but do remember to keep multi-shotting once every 13-15 sec to re-dot Frost King if you are killing Sul. And if all 4 are stacked(Marli empowered, Kazrajin charges to melee), spam Multi-shot.

3 - Never had any noticeable pet issues on Magaera as SV, but that fight is impossible as BM, your entire AoE relies on the pet, so if you have to get your pet to AoE adds, it will take him like 30 seconds to do a weird path behind the heads and stuff. No matter what people say, STAY AWAY from BM on Magaera HC. Also afaik, the Blue head has the longest "spawn" time when Rampage is about to happen, so it might be worth it to try dismiss pet and quickly summon another.

I do both megaera and council as BM. It has superior burst and single target damage. I found a fix for pet issue on megaera was to keep it on assist mode rather than passive. Whenever head dies it just jumps onto add without having to move (use blink strikes ofc). As for council you just need to finish prio targets (our team already has lock that does crazy damage to all bosses) so going BM is good.

1) Never tried explosive trap on Durumu, I guess I need to check it, I also dont use barrage since we have ele shaman that just destroys the walls!
    2) Council, trap may be small dps increase but it wont change much. As I play BM i have pet on passive with pet attack macro (it makes pet react way faster) and I usually just burn Sul til its Kazda/Priestess turn. Its tanks/melee role to finish Sul before those 2 are done with empowerements. I guess you are using sporebat so it doesnt really matter what your pet is attacking, especially as SV.
    3) Keep pet on assist mode and it should be fine (I am not touching adds til the head is gone so icd from teleport is off and my pet just teleports to the add and then goes to next head). When I put my pet on passive whenever head died the pet was already walking back to me (and it loves to take some crazy paths to get back to you) and if I attack the add pet was too far from it to teleport so the "shortest" way was around the cavern.

As for bosses, I only use survi for Tortos and Horiddon.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Do people use Sv on Ji Kun because of pet issues? Is that why you do? Our kill time is long compared to the top guys which probably affects things but I find BM to be great to pop BW with the nutrient buff (or whatever it is called). I do platforms 2, 4, 7, 8.

I feel stupid writing this because I am sure there is something I am missing that makes Sv better then BM for this fight based on the amount of posts I have seen on it.

BM is great in Jikun. I doubt its pet pathing issue. More the fact that when you fly up, your pet vanishes so you have to use arcane shot til you get closer to the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Osinin View Post
    Do people use Sv on Ji Kun because of pet issues? Is that why you do? Our kill time is long compared to the top guys which probably affects things but I find BM to be great to pop BW with the nutrient buff (or whatever it is called). I do platforms 2, 4, 7, 8.

I feel stupid writing this because I am sure there is something I am missing that makes Sv better then BM for this fight based on the amount of posts I have seen on it.
    i solo all nest on my guild, right now we are not doing top because once you have all the ppl staying on boss with feed Young buff is pretty much GG.

i havent check on magera but last time i had tons and tons of pet pathing issues there as BM with blink strikes, i stay bm for that fight but i swithc to crows. small dps loss but much better if the pet isnt in the wáter half of the time.

i play BM on council too, i think is far better cleave damage than serpent spread, i think last week i pulled off a 230-240k dps, think we didnt had melee so i was part of the melee didnt had to switch a lot even tho i had to still do most of range mechanics.

the only fight i play SV right now is tortos. our casters just refuse to do turtles so i need to be on turtles the whole time. leave the pet on the boss tho. waste if you move it around.

and in durumu im like khalamo just let the ele shaman go nuts, he deserve his fight after all, i do min aoe damage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by leviah View Post
    1- Have been laying a Explosive Trap on Durumu a moment before the ice walls spawn, is this a worthwhile dps increase at all?
    Yes, its worthwile if you have issues with the walls as a raid. If not (locks and ele should melt it down) just stay on boss.

2- Tips for Council? I Try lay traps way before the pull (damn those surprise pull timers). Keep SrS rolling on everything except Mar'li at the beginning and usually hit a few Multi-shots if 3+ are grouped (during the omg too much focus opener). Positioning myself throughout the fight to hit everything with barrage. Usually pet-passive and leave my pet on Sul till he dies.
    Depending on tactics you can lay Ex Trap instead of BA if 2+ are grouped, also ice trap on priest add spawn is quite helpfull if a priest forgets his tendrils.

3- Megaera pet re-summoning? Normal mode Megaera never gave me any problems but the Arcane head in Heroic causes my pet to stay behind a rock LoS'ing me during rages and generally being useless. Thinking of always dismissing it on the Arcane head just before it dies and summoning another, giving me a fresh Rabid. If adds aren't up would it be a dps increase to do this for every head if timed well enough?
    Haven't got those issues lately, but considering you have to run to a gathering spot for rampage it would be a dps loss to dismiss/call pet at spot when the heads are up. Recommend you switch passive/asist stance on pet few times, it usually ports pet back to your side in most "pet lost" problems.

a sporebat(I joke I joke).
    Why would you joke? I keep a sporebat in my 5 and bring it out more often than not for the buff.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post

3 - Never had any noticeable pet issues on Magaera as SV, but that fight is impossible as BM, your entire AoE relies on the pet, so if you have to get your pet to AoE adds, it will take him like 30 seconds to do a weird path behind the heads and stuff. No matter what people say, STAY AWAY from BM on Magaera HC. Also afaik, the Blue head has the longest "spawn" time when Rampage is about to happen, so it might be worth it to try dismiss pet and quickly summon another.
    Depends on the comp and if it's 10 man or 25 man. I only raid 25 man and we already have locks and other classes that melt the adds, so all I do is barrage when adds are up, send trap, use frag belt and continue single target the head. Srsly, all adds are melted before your pet gets there, so why change to aoe mode? Stick to single target. If survival sure, MS all the way.

just use bm for every fight to avoid hassle of changing, it's superior to survival in almost every case anyways.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hareu View Post
    just use bm for every fight to avoid hassle of changing, it's superior to survival in almost every case anyways.
    Except on fights like Megaera where your pet gets stuck in the water due to Blink Strikes and you have to spend 3 seconds dismissing it and another GCD summoning the pet back out.

Quote Originally Posted by Oumi View Post
    Except on fights like Megaera where your pet gets stuck in the water due to Blink Strikes and you have to spend 3 seconds dismissing it and another GCD summoning the pet back out.
    usually when you put it on passive it will teleport to your location when it's stuck, easy fix I found.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    Why would you joke? I keep a sporebat in my 5 and bring it out more often than not for the buff.
    Does Spore Cloud affect bosses?

Quote Originally Posted by trollsroyce View Post
    Does Spore Cloud affect bosses?
    Not the debuff, the buff. Sporebats provide Spell Haste. IIRC, they're the only non-exotic pet that has two effects, and I can't help but think Blizzard did that because of this video
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    Not the debuff, the buff. Sporebats provide Spell Haste. IIRC, they're the only non-exotic pet that has two effects, and I can't help but think Blizzard did that because of this video
    Hah! OK thanks - yeh I bring the pet for a buff we're missing... just wondered if this should be my default if we cover them all

Quote Originally Posted by trollsroyce View Post
    Hah! OK thanks - yeh I bring the pet for a buff we're missing... just wondered if this should be my default if we cover them all
    Tallstrider is considered the default non-buff pet to bring because it can apply the triple stack of weakened armor instantly to all mobs in range and thus is very useful for trash/aoe/add fights. Some of the debuff pets are more useful though for single target fights, but it's a matter of checking your raid comp versus a chart like this one. If all the debuffs are covered by the group too, it's not a bad idea to bring the Tallstrider and tell the raid not to worry about applying Faerie Fire et al.

Deleted
    Interesting - thanks for that! Will go tame one... if the servers ever come back