Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    TI1 was funded by Gamescom, it wasn't an independent event.
    So gamescom gave out the prize pool then ?

Quote Originally Posted by bayushisan View Post
    No the stream is not too much money and people need to get this "gimme gimme gimme" mentality out of their heads, preferably now. Blizzard does not "owe" you a free live stream of BlizzCon if you can't afford to go there in person. $40 is not that much money in the long run, it's like two dvds and you can go back and watch the livestream again at your leisure in case there was more than one panel happening at the same time that you wanted to watch.

To me this seems like a good deal.
    I'm not asking for a free stream (I know some are) I just want to pay for what I want to watch and nothing else. I only want the WoW side of things and would pay $15 for that alone if it included the opening ceremony, reveal trailer, panels, interviews, live raid and maybe tournaments (which personally I'm not interested in).

If Blizzard did split it up they could make more money because it's more accessible for people who only want to watch part of the event and for those who want 2-3 streams that is $30-$45 meaning they could charge $50 for everything plus the contests and other games covered.

Blizzcon costs them money
    Why would they give it to you for free?

Don't tell me you're so stupid and clueless as to think that "loyalty" and "awareness" are enough to justify spending their money on you
    It DOESNT COST THEM MONEY.. god damn, someone types this every 2 minutes on this forum.

Do you know how marketing works?

When you spend money to make money, does it COST you money?

Does a $5,000 commercial that profits me $20,000 in sales COST me $5k?

Please get out of here with this BS, take a marketing class.

Whether you can understand this or not: Regardless of the price of virtual ticket/Blizzcon ticket, they PROFIT heavily from BLizzcon, even if it is FREE. There is a reason every major company in the WORLD holds these events, you know that, right?
    Last edited by Trakanonn; 2013-11-05 at 12:06 PM.
    Free-To-Play is the future.

Deleted
    I can't really afford them at the moment since I haven't started studying yet (= no income at all atm), so I'm a bit bummed out over the high price.

But yeah, I'm not going to pay €30 for news that I'll get on MMO/my guild chat 30mins later.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakanonn View Post
    It DOESNT COST THEM MONEY.. god damn, someone types this every 2 minutes on this forum.

It doesn't make them more money than it costs though, that is the flaw in your explanation
    As a for-profit company they can't really afford to not squeeze cash out of this high-expense event when the increased profit from holding a large and complex live event rather than just releasing trailers online is not certain

Deleted

Blizzcon wasn't profitable before the online tickets and they don't do Blizzcon to actually profit. So yeah, it does cost them.

Quote Originally Posted by FruitBat69 View Post
    All you're doing by buying this is giving them the go ahead to charge for more stuff in the future because they know they can get away with it. Just like the store items.
    This... and it will continue to happen, more and more...

It has actually come to this: Most people think it is ok for blizzard to charge 40$ for watching a 2 day long commercial for their products...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Megamisama View Post
    Blizzcon wasn't profitable before the online tickets and they don't do Blizzcon to actually profit. So yeah, it does cost them.
    People don't generally make profit from adverts

Deleted
    It doesn't make them more money than it costs though, that is the flaw in your explanation
    As a for-profit company they can't really afford to not squeeze cash out of this high-expense event when the increased profit from holding a large and complex live event rather than just releasing trailers online is not certain
    Car shows don't sell cars either. It's all advertisement. They fork out a lot of money to hold the venue but in return get a massive sale when they release products because people are interested in them, because of the venue they held.

15+ Year Old Account
    If people are willing to pay that much in numbers which Blizzard find acceptable, then - by definition - no, it's not over priced.

Supply and demand.

PS: I totally bought it for the sweet ass in game goodies.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

10+ Year Old Account

Whether you can understand this or not: Regardless of the price of virtual ticket/Blizzcon ticket, they PROFIT heavily from BLizzcon, even if it is FREE.
    This is not how business works. You can use as many caps as you want, and you are still not right.
    Of course it costs them money. Any investment is money spent. No matter for what you spend it. And when you draw revenue, you have to make the money you've spent and the profits.
    Your commercial example math..... $5,000 commercial yielding $20.000 profit = $25.000 revenue.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

I don't know about you guys, but i couldn't be more stocked for Blizz con, so 30 euro for goodies + something i want to truly see is worth it for me. And it helps that i split the price with friends.

When Honda makes a car advert, does it cost them $500,000? So why do they make it then if there are no people willing to pay for it? Because it sells their product. DC shoes paid for Ken Block to have a whole city to himself so they could film him driving a 600bhp rally car around the city sideways. They then released the video for free.

Why do they do this? Because it helps them sell their product, they make massive money as a result of these adverts. To think Blizzcon actually costs them money is hilarious, it makes them millions. $40 is a lot of money, that would pay for the game they are trying to sell me, or 3 months subscription

2 days of watching adverts, same price as 3 months subscription to the product they are trying to advertise me.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2013-11-05 at 12:15 PM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

High Definition Live Stream of a two-day event, along with in-game goodies and access to the information firsthand. Well worth the £25 I spent.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    $5,000 commercial yielding $20.000 profit = $25.000 revenue.
    Wait, what? You added the cost of the commercial to the profit?
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Quote Originally Posted by Bombadrol View Post
    This... and it will continue to happen, more and more...

It has actually come to this: Most people think it is ok for blizzard to charge 40$ for watching a 2 day long commercial for their products...
    And people will defend this notion as well its sickening, I like blizzards stuff mostly wow and possibly diablo when the real money AH is gone, I can understand paying to go to blizzcon in person its an experience to be there but paying to watch a stream? really ??? especially when theres streams all over the internet doing the same for free and it will be all over you tube the day after also for free.

But hey enjoy the in-game bonuses i guess :s

Deleted
    there has to be a free stream somewhere on this damn internet. i`m only interested in wow expansion and movie so I`ll just w8 for trailers to appear on MMO-champ ! ty mmo champ

Well let's see, I can watch nearly anything else online (many of which would provide me with far more entertainment) for free. So essentially, I'd be paying all that money to watch people talk about information that I'll get to read about for free. What a complete ripoff; then again, I'm of the opinion that having their game require a subscription is also a ripoff, but people eat it up anyway so I guess I don't blame them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgummage View Post
    If people are willing to pay that much in numbers which Blizzard find acceptable, then - by definition - no, it's not over priced.

Supply and demand.

PS: I totally bought it for the sweet ass in game goodies.
    What the kids here forget is, how there's a hell of a lot of broadcasting technique involved with such event. Blizzard is therefore in deals with broadcasting companies, and the streaming price is settled through those.
    In the US one can purchase Blizzcon also through DirecTV, for the same price.

It's one thing to run such multi-media event locally with visitors. It's another thing to have entire camera teams and a broadcasting station set up to air it into ppl's living rooms.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    agree it's way to overpriced, or they at least offer some cheaper stream version without goodies, for a 9 quid or something.