Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Megamisama View Post
    These are all opinions of what you think is more fun though. These aren't claims of facts. You can for a fact say that class design is much better today, but you can only say that you have an opinion of it being more fun back then. Discussing opinions isn't really fitting into this thread.
    I....what?

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously though its pretty funny how bent out of shape you guys are getting because someone on /v/ said he preferred the old expansions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I agree on the Community Aspect...

I can't stomach seeing the WoW Official forums. It's full of "casual" whiny entitled babies who just whine about everything. It's amazing to me, to see how this game has come in terms of "content for all" and to see people whining that they don't get enough rewards because they're "casual" players.

Sickening really.. hopefully based Pardo can put some MMO back into this MMORPG.

Deleted
    That's one of the most ridiculous things I've seen regarding this whole expansion vs expansion debate.

The community never fail to amaze me.

Deleted
    Nah, only agree with the community part

Class design and PvE (Quests and World) has improved in every subsequent expac.

Art quality has declined every expac since TBC, except MoP which has some good some bad.

Ha not a chance.

Deleted
    Well, obvious it was a 'TBC/VANILLA WAS BEST EVAH'-person that did this.

Kind of silly and I don't agree with that pic at all. A diagram made out of opinion is nothing else then opinion. It would look vastly different if I made it. *shrugs*

Although I can agree on the community, but that is the community, our own fault, not Blizz or WoW...
    Last edited by mmoc2affe961ff; 2013-11-30 at 03:27 PM.

Deleted
    Typical "vanilla was better" fanboy with rosey-coloured glasses permanently taped to his face. Nothing to see here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Totally agree. PvP in vanilla was so good. So engaging. And most importantly, so balanced!

So stupid.

Edit: And ha-fucking-ha at class design in vanilla. List so bad. Nostalgia so strong.
    Look! Words!

15+ Year Old Account
    The vanilla scores give me a very strong sense of rose-tinted glasses syndrome.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

10+ Year Old Account

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWorkingTitle View Post
    PvE - In terms of mechanics it has only gotten more complex but at the expense of an ability bloat that has turned a portion of the player-base off. As a Warcraft RTS player the raids have only digressed in their motivating factors. To take down Kel'Thuzad, Illidan, Kil'Jaedan, and Arthas were much more meaningful conquests. As the storyline has progressed the "Big Bads" have been less inspiring. Overall I'd say the graph is correct on this one with Vanilla and TBC being a quite bit too favored (I'd lower those 2 a bit)
    Killing Sinestra was amazing. Killing Ragnaros 25 Heroic was amazing. Killing Lei Shen 25 Heroic was amazing. Killing them on 10 man Normal of course wasn't...

15+ Year Old Account
    All I really bothered to check was Class Design and Community. Why is Class Design so low in Vanilla? Isn't that when they were most different. Also with Burning Crusade, should be way higher there. Also why is Community higher in Vanilla than Burning Crusade? I would say the Community grew with Burning Crusade before it fell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    My favorite part is how the person thinks Vanilla PvP was in any way shape or form better than any of the following expansions.

And the same thing for class design.
    PvP is a funny thing to judge.

Vanilla PvP was very arcadey, and it was very predictable. But it was also MUCH faster-paced and in my opinion 10 times more fun. There wasn't much CC, classes didn't all have 9 cooldowns and escape tools... you just played. And it was fun.

BC onwards is very much about CC trains, strategy, and teamwork. That's fun for some people... but I personally cannot stand CC trains. It ruins the experience when I'm not allowed to play my character for 15+ seconds at a time.

So yea, depends on what kind of experience you're looking for. Chess or Call of Duty?

As for the main topic: I'd score them differently, but not drastically.

Vanilla
    Questing/World: 7
    PvE: 6
    PvP: 8
    Community: 7
    Art/Story/Music: 8
    Class Design: 3

BC
    Questing/World: 7
    PvE: 8
    PvP: 5
    Community: 7
    Art/Story/Music: 8
    Class Design: 5

WotLK
    Questing/World: 8
    PvE: 9
    PvP: 1
    Community: 3
    Art/Story/Music: 9

Cata
    Questing/World: 6
    PvE: 5
    PvP: 0
    Community: 0
    Art/Story/Music: 6
    Class Design: 6

MoP
    Questing/World: 6
    PvE: 7
    PvP: 0
    Community: 0
    Art/Story/Music: 8 (Art 10, Story 6. Averaged out)

The only thing that everyone can agree on is that the community has been amazingly awful since LFD was introduced. It was only acceptable before that because you couldn't be a total dickwad if you wanted to pug. Your reputation on your server actually mattered somewhat. I've been saying that WoW needs an oQueue Karma-type system for a while, and I still think it'd improve the community somewhat if there were consequences for being a moron.

Quote Originally Posted by Outofmana View Post
    http://i39.tinypic.com/11hrl0z.jpg

Fixed.
    If you think vanilla class design was an 8... you would be a very boring game designer.

I'm not saying class design today is amazing, in fact it's very formulaic and homogenized, but every spec at least has more than 1 button to press. Vanilla consisted of spamming (Choose one of: Frostbolt, Fireball, Shadow Bolt, Sinister Strike, Mortal Strike, Aimed Shot, Flash of Light, Flash Heal, Chain Heal, Rejuvenate). Want to DPS and play a Hybrid? Tough! Want to tank and aren't a Warrior? Tough!
    Last edited by Marxman; 2013-12-01 at 05:39 PM.

just looks like someone who enjoyed the game more and less now.

lots of people would rate Wraths story way ahead of vanilla, vanillas story was actually pretty pedestrian and jumbled.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, they graded Cata too high
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.

I don't understand how you think Vanilla and BC questing was that good. It was crap.

Class design has been steadily improving such that each spec is viable. IDGAF about 'diversity'. I'm sorry if everyone is now just as good as a rogue or a mage, but I leveled back in BC as a Druid, and I must say I was pissed trying to compete with other classes. There are essential functional abilities: example- as long as stuns exist everyone needs a stun or you're fucked. Functional overlap is FINE as long as flavor of the class and gameplay remains unique to that class, and DOES NOT take away fundamental uniqueness. Abilities should not be absolutely unique. For good reason. Imagine if only warlocks had fear, or only paladins had a stun, rogues only had a blind, mages only have counterspell. Whoop. dee. doo. Overlap also allows for flexible PVE and PVP play when it comes to group comp.

Tell me again how Vanilla and BC had a good story. Please. The expansion with the most artistic detail was Cata, surprisingly enough. I'd be prone to agree with the original image lol.

I suppose forcing shamans, paladins and druids to play resto/holy counts as a good " design " that whole chart is full of crap, vanilla had no story direction apart from a few quest chains (fallen hero of the horde, tirion's) ect. Rose tinted goggles strike again though I'll agree with the community part it's been rocketing downhill since WOTLK.

10+ Year Old Account
    When did ever Cataclysm have better music/art/story/setting from TBC+Wrath ... OP seriously you need to get a better look at the different versions of WoW.
    I come across a quiet river, that wonders through the trees.
    I stare into its running waters and fall unto my knees.
    In resignation to the forest, that's held me for so long.
    I close my eyes and drift away into nature's evensong.