Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    More proof that whenever you see a thread start with '________ is an outdated concept', you can be sure that what follows is poorly thought out opinion at best.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    Meh, I like leveling... I like levels - I'm a fan of D&D from ages old, sue me.
    So am I but most games ran in D&D stop at level 20 due to how powerful your toons are.

With wow it just repeats with each Xpac and I can see why people want something different even more so since 99% of the time you spend your gaming time at max level.

I like that EQN is changing it up a bit and not doing the basic leveling system but its far to late for WOW to change there setup.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

So the OP and the people that agree with him basically want to turn wow into an adventure game?
    Last edited by Barnabas; 2013-12-10 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    More proof that whenever you see a thread start with '________ is an outdated concept', you can be sure that what follows is poorly thought out opinion at best.
    Yeah, apparently anything a person dislikes is an outdated concept. That said, having more options is always a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    This isn't a bad idea and kinda harkens to Skyrim and other games where your abilities level you up so no area is really off limits or out-leveled.
    I like that setup because it keeps all content as current
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

As of now we have 2 leveling systems, level and Ilevel. It would make no significant difference what so ever to the game if you retired the regular levels. With Ilevel requirements you can still not go do SOO 3 min after creating a toon but you will be able to speed up "Ileveling" considerably if you have a little experience.

Maybe keep regular leveling on an account basis, your account can be lvl 90. After that all your toons are max level and will only have to gain Ilevels.

Quote Originally Posted by madmanx View Post
    As of now we have 2 leveling systems, level and Ilevel. It would make no significant difference what so ever to the game if you retired the regular levels. With Ilevel requirements you can still not go do SOO 3 min after creating a toon but you will be able to speed up "Ileveling" considerably if you have a little experience.

Maybe keep regular leveling on an account basis, your account can be lvl 90. After that all your toons are max level and will only have to gain Ilevels.
    No it would make a big difference. You skip leveling you are also skipping gearing up your toon and gaining new spells. You just don't magically max level with zero character progression and expect players to care about your game or their character they made. You get bored of it them you delete it and magically make a new max level again. In order to pull this off you'd need an entirely different system than WoW has right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miralynn View Post
    Ditto. Leveling up is part of what makes a RPG a RPG. Take that away and it doesn't feel like a RPG anymore.
    No. Role playing is about playing a role while becoming more powerful. Levels don't have to be the mechanic to do so. Look at Elder Scrolls games. You level up from actually performing your actions. The more spells you cast, the stronger you get at it. The more you shoot people with a bow, the better you get (yes I know it has levels as well, but we could remove those and still have the same effect).

I'm an altoholic. Most of my playtime is spent leveling alts and questing.
    Still, even on your alts - I myself have 11 level 90 characters. Even there the time played leveling is minimal compared to the time questing at max level, gearing up, doing lfr, raiding, dailys and so on...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    No it would make a big difference. You skip leveling you are also skipping gearing up your toon and gaining new spells. You just don't magically max level with zero character progression and expect players to care about your game or their character they made. You get bored of it them you delete it and magically make a new max level again. In order to pull this off you'd need an entirely different system than WoW has right now.
    No, you still wear bad itemlevels first and get better ones later since you still have the questing path to get all your skills. Ever played a Deathknight? He starts with greens and 3 spells and ends with many skills and blue items... now expand that concept.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    So the OP and the people that agree with him basically want to turn wow into an adventure game?
    Nope. You still need to progress your characters. The only difference is, that old zones will not become obsolete obstacle of the past but endgame content.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    Meh, I like leveling... I like levels - I'm a fan of D&D from ages old, sue me.
    100% ack this
    Ditto. Leveling up is part of what makes a RPG a RPG. Take that away and it doesn't feel like a RPG anymore.
    and that. If you dont wanna level go play something else but leave wow alone!

Does anyone know if the OP is actually serious or trolling?

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-12-10 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    What exactly is poorly thought out? Tell me. It would help the game to stay relevant much longer. Right now new players get force pushed though the same levels so they can play the main content quick enough. Blizzard now even gives level 90 for free and adds how-to-play guide after. Blizzard also stated that they now dropped the idea that leveling should take very long. I'm just bringing the concept to the logical conclusion. A conclusion new and upcoming MMOs also have and stopped having levels. You still progress, but not with a number next to your name but your equip and your actual skills.

I'll admit, I actually kind of prefer the "leveling" system in Secret World.

Quote Originally Posted by TyrianFC View Post
    Does anyone know if the OP is actually serious or trolling?
    Dead serious. Did you even read it?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    How long do you play WoW - how many % of that gameplay was done leveling? Think about that...
    RPGs are about progressing a character - in WoW it's done with itemlevels, characterlevels are only a very small part of the progression in WoW, more like an intro to the main game.
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but just because only content at ENDLEVEL is content for YOU it doesnt mean its the same for everyone else! for me the mainpart IS Leveling and doing the quest.

The toolkit that is accessible to players makes some sort of gating, a gradual introduction of those abilities an absolute necessity.
    That is what levelling is meant to achieve, even if not perfect at at.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by axiom View Post
    100 % NOT AGREE with op opinion!!
    for me the level progress is a big part of an mmorpg and the only part (these days) i really enjoy in wow! i was a hardcore raider 6 of 7 days raid a week with diffrent chars, sometimes 2 raids a night. burt now i got other things to do in my life and i found my peace in leaveling alts.
    And after a few month all your alts are maximum level and then? Stay in the same few zones for level 90 characters instead of doing the casual stuff you like everywhere... Just take some time to really think about my concept and don't dismiss it at once. Just think about what it means especially for a casual gamer. More content, more freedom, more exploring, more ways to progress your character. If you like a zone you can stay there and do relevant things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Various games tryed that kind of concept. My favorite was TSW. It however sooner or later always comes to some kind of "alternative leveling" being it by unlocking new powers, increasing existing ones or hell even gearing. Thats the progression part you somewhat need to have in any mmo. You can say its not leveling - ok but it will have the very same effects after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    No. Role playing is about playing a role while becoming more powerful. Levels don't have to be the mechanic to do so. Look at Elder Scrolls games. You level up from actually performing your actions. The more spells you cast, the stronger you get at it. The more you shoot people with a bow, the better you get (yes I know it has levels as well, but we could remove those and still have the same effect).
    I agree, but what Kryos seems to be suggesting is that we should just jump in and go straight to endgame. Remember weapon skills? Yea...people didn't like those a lot, although personally I would like to see their return with hit/expertise being removed. There needs to be some sort of progression that seperates a new character from one who has fought Kil'Jaeden, Arthas, Deathwing, etc. and gear isnt a very good one with the way gearing currently works.

If there wasnt a massive gear catchup then I could see that working, but you try telling people that in order for them to raid in Warlords they gotta go do past raids in their entirety to get the gear they need.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but just because only content at ENDLEVEL is content for YOU it doesnt mean its the same for everyone else! for me the mainpart IS Leveling and doing the quest.
    Again, how long can you level in WoW? You have 11 slots and 11 different classes. Once you have all of them max level (may take half a year or so) the game is done for you. With my concept you have endless content outside of raids for all your alts.