Poll: Would you like to see a "Gary Oak" type character in WoW/WoD

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    I can see a lot of people hating such direct interference with their character, but I think it'd be amazing. Laughed for ages just from reading your ideas, gj!

having a rival, a character to get us more invested in the story, on top of the way you put it I have to say it's a really cool idea. I would change up how we meat the rival a bit, mostly along the lines of when complete a quest? when you turn it in I mean.

Well the red crane questline kinda has one ie some one you fight repeatedly and there are certain zones that give you a temp compainion

Deleted
    My rivals are the players that form the game, not some rip-offed characters. And with no flying upon launch, you bet your ass you will get some serious amount of Garry Oak guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Yimereh View Post
    This character could act as a personal plot rival who inconveniences you just enough that you develop a competitive sense whenever he is involved. He would be dynamic in the fact that both victory and defeat are possible in an encounter with him. If he came and stole an ore deposit and you engaged him in combat and won, you would be rewarded for defeating him and you would receive the ore he stole, this could also work in collection quests where defeating him while he is mirroring a quest you are on would result in you gaining all the resources he gathered for said quest. Being defeated however would slow you down but cause him to "complete" the quest and move on.
    You can't be serious. I'm inconvenienced enough by other players, I don't want a fucking douchebag NPC added into the mix even if he only showed up once every 15 levels.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would love a character like the troll friend in there starting area (his name escapes me.) Your idea op could work. "Hey nerd I finished the quest first check out my new weapon *weapon you wanted for 5 years*

Deleted
    I... really like this idea. I'd love a "Gary Motherf*****g Orc". Yes, that pun was terrible.

Rivalry is a great way to build up a character for a satisfying conclusion, and as long as we eventually get to beat him away or otherwise get him to stop harassing us at max level, I'd like to see this happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think such a character would do better when left to quests. I could definitely imagine quests like being sent out to get 5 plant things or whatever, and upon arriving to the place they're picked clean, with you arriving back at the village just in time to see your rival giving all the plants to the questgiver. Maybe it'd even withhold experience and/or gold from you until you've put the SOB in their place :P

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    You can't be serious. I'm inconvenienced enough by other players, I don't want a fucking douchebag NPC added into the mix even if he only showed up once every 15 levels.
    Hate to break it to ya, but you do realize you're playing a game with OTHER PLAYERS? I bet you were one of the ones who complained so bitterly about being turned into a ghoul pre WoTLK. Honestly, if it bothers you so much to interact with other human beings you really should stick to offline games.

I also think 'STORMCALL' would make a great name for this "fucking douchebag NPC" that I would oh so love if they added.

Quote Originally Posted by budong View Post
    Hate to break it to ya, but you do realize you're playing a game with OTHER PLAYERS? I bet you were one of the ones who complained so bitterly about being turned into a ghoul pre WoTLK. Honestly, if it bothers you so much to interact with other human beings you really should stick to offline games.

I also think 'STORMCALL' would make a great name for this "fucking douchebag NPC" that I would oh so love if they added.
    Blow me, chief. I'm playing the game to get to max level and do whatever I intend to do with the character, be it PvP(which is where I do most of my interacting with other human beings), mount collecting, raiding, or whatever. You're right, I don't want to interact with people then, before then, unless I'm running low level BGs or dungeons, because I don't want to worry about other players swooping in and grabbing ore, killing the rare I was looking for, killing the mobs I need for a quest, or whatever.

Your argument is stupid anyways. It's like saying "if you don't like getting cut off on the road, don't drive" or "if you don't like dealing with asshole customers, don't go to work". I mean yeah, it's right in the sense that you won't deal with asshole customers if you don't work, and you won't get cut off on the highway if you don't drive...but it also means you don't get the benefits of working or driving.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only if i can give him a name:
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Durantye View Post
    Yeah I know what you mean but for rares specifically mount dropping rares it'd be horrendous, I mean you camp the Time-lost Proto drake and after 2 months you finally are the one to tag it and then your rival appears and takes the kill and loot and if you are say not properly ready or if you get unlucky during the fight you lost 2 months of camping due to RNG, yeah not gonna be able to agree with that one. Stealing a resource that is everywhere is one thing but stealing a mount from 2 months of farming/camping is a whole different ball-park no actually it isn't even in the same sport or speaks the same language.

But yeah a rival would be fun as long as he can't fuck with you ALL the time nor can he steal extremely valuable items (Insert rare mob drop/mounts/epics/pets) honestly the reason so many are saying no is because you are saying he would steal highly valuable items too not just mess with you every now and then or appear as a real character just an RNG bastard face which this game has enough RNG bastard faces (Black blood, Purified bindings, pet and mount drop rates).

Honestly if you toned it down on wanting to make him possibly make people uninstall the game I'd say it'd be cool and a nice spice but you are taking it too far with your suggestions.
    Say what?! Black Blood and Purified Bindings drop rates? xD God our Guild is lucky. We are at 8/14 10 man HC and already disenchanted 2 Bindings. One normal HC and one HC WF. With our first 2 Kills both had HC WF Bindings and our 3rd kill had Normal HC Bindings too. 3 Bindings in a row + 2 no one actually wanted.^^

Prolly been mentioned but wasnt there that stupid panda bitch who claimed i was her bitter rival and succumbed to despair cause i kept kicking her stupid ass in those Chi-JI daily quest chain.

Anyway sounds to me like a meh idea i did not even give too shits when i put that panda chick down even though she sent me threatening letters in the post so i guess i wouldnt care much for another like minded character

Deleted
    Only if I can name him "Fartface".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aciaedius View Post
    I... really like this idea. I'd love a "Gary Motherf*****g Orc". Yes, that pun was terrible.

Rivalry is a great way to build up a character for a satisfying conclusion, and as long as we eventually get to beat him away or otherwise get him to stop harassing us at max level, I'd like to see this happen.
    He could have an open world end game encounter possibly, maybe in the brawlers guild, where upon defeating him he no longer harasses you. The catch would be when the next content patch hits they could include him in the new zone/updated area where he harasses you there specifically until you once again beat his current end game encounter. I think the culmination of fighting him in a sub plot raid on route to the final boss would be a good way to end his character development for the expansion(assuming there are any subplot raids).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    Only if i can give him a name:
    This is something I can support.
    My Partner does vegan food art @Monaco's Kitchen:
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Monacos-Kit...age_fan_invite
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/monacoskitchen/

I'm going to go into arbitrary purist mode and demand he be called Blue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Combooticus View Post
    Prolly been mentioned but wasnt there that stupid panda bitch who claimed i was her bitter rival and succumbed to despair cause i kept kicking her stupid ass in those Chi-JI daily quest chain.

Anyway sounds to me like a meh idea i did not even give too shits when i put that panda chick down even though she sent me threatening letters in the post so i guess i wouldnt care much for another like minded character
    I think if they improved the incentive to compete against such a character, introduced them early enough and embedded them into the subplot they would be far more intriguing then a daily quest rival. The reward for daily quests isn't really much especially considering most people have a less than fond opinion of them.

They would just have to make this character stick out in your mind, he could be the equivalent of a rare mob in the world, something exciting to come across because you know that you gain instant gratification for success. Make him indirectly apart of some quests, make him a boss in brawlers guild, the pet battle champ, and some sort of dungeon/raid encounter.
    My Partner does vegan food art @Monaco's Kitchen:
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Monacos-Kit...age_fan_invite
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/monacoskitchen/