Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

I want to start training in martial arts - how to prepare?

I've always been intersted in martial arts, but I've never actually practiced myself. I'm 25 and somewhat out of shape.

Anyone here with experience, is it important that I work on getting in shape before enrolling into some sort of program, or can I just go in and it will pretty much be a part of the training?

Also, suggestions on what sort of martial arts to enroll in might be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    I've always been intersted in martial arts, but I've never actually practiced myself. I'm 25 and somewhat out of shape.

Anyone here with experience, is it important that I work on getting in shape before enrolling into some sort of program, or can I just go in and it will pretty much be a part of the training?

Also, suggestions on what sort of martial arts to enroll in might be good.
    First, you need to get in good with the girl that the school bully is interested in.

Once he beats you up a couple times, look for an old Asian man, preferably the janitor, if possible.

He will have you do menial chores around his house, causing you to master various martial arts, and allowing you to win a championship by beating the school bully using your fabulous crane kick.

Deleted
    Depends which martial art you're thinking of doing, and how seriously. Other than that, obviously you should be in at least some kind of shape when starting to do a sport or athletics of any kind; make sure you've got at least some cardio, and that you're at least a little bit agile and limber. Always a good thing to have some kind of a base line.

Since you clearly don't have a preference, I'm guessing you should go for one of the more casual ones that keep you in shape and don't require you to pour yourself into it too badly. Some form of jutsu, as well as aikido, would be good choices I think. I'd stay away from the flashy kicky punchy arts, or shit like krav maga.

Martial arts is more of a lifestyle and a state of mind and being, than it is a sport, though. Are you sure that's what you're looking for? Because, if you just want to beat the shit out of people, find a place where you can get into MMA.

Quote Originally Posted by Egoism View Post
    First, you need to get in good with the girl that the school bully is interested in.

Once he beats you up a couple times, look for an old Asian man, preferably the janitor, if possible.

He will have you do menial chores around his house, causing you to master various martial arts, and allowing you to win a championship by beating the school bully using your fabulous crane kick.

Wax on! Wax off!

10+ Year Old Account
    First, you must paint the fence.

You dont need to be in perfect shape to start. If you go to a starter course/class, it's pretty basic during the first few lessons.

I've only done Judo myself. It was pretty damn fun actually. I dont know how hard taekwondo/karate will be for newbs, but judo is pretty easy to get into.

Deleted
    find a local dojo, ask if you can observe a class as your considering taking up a martial arts but not sure which one is suitable for you.
    When you find a style you like, you then join the class and follow the instructions you are given regarding training.

Not rocket science.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    find a local dojo, ask if you can observe a class as your considering taking up a martial arts but not sure which one is suitable for you.
    When you find a style you like, you then join the class and follow the instructions you are given regarding training.

Not rocket science.
    Sweep the leg!

There is no requirement besides commitment, the shape you are in is irrelevant. Commiting to a martial art will make you fitter than you can imagine. I guess the only thing that could influence you decision is your body type, if you are big already, arts like Judo would suit you, if you are small and wiry stuff like kung fu or arakan would suit you better.

But in the end it is personal preference. I recommend, if you have access to it, Arakan, it is a complete martial art from Burma, extremely practical and street effective, and the fitness involved will shred you no matter what level you are at now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Depends which martial art you're thinking of doing, and how seriously. Other than that, obviously you should be in at least some kind of shape when starting to do a sport or athletics of any kind; make sure you've got at least some cardio, and that you're at least a little bit agile and limber. Always a good thing to have some kind of a base line.

Since you clearly don't have a preference, I'm guessing you should go for one of the more casual ones that keep you in shape and don't require you to pour yourself into it too badly. Some form of jutsu, as well as aikido, would be good choices I think. I'd stay away from the flashy kicky punchy arts, or shit like krav maga.

Martial arts is more of a lifestyle and a state of mind and being, than it is a sport, though. Are you sure that's what you're looking for? Because, if you just want to beat the shit out of people, find a place where you can get into MMA.

Wax on! Wax off!
    This is more to keep myself in shape - I'm not looking to compete in tournaments or anything like that. I think it would just be a fun way to stay fit and hell, it would at least have some use if I ever needed to use it for real, right?

Plus that sort of lifestyle seems very cool and collected, and I like that thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    It's very very very much a sport, and the life-style/state of mind thing can only be said about a minority of its (which ever martial art) practitioners. I'll agree with you on not going for it if you're interest is in "beating people up", because it's generally rather useless for that (unless you're taking it seriously with the explicit purpose of using it for some form of combat).
    It's good exercise, can have meditative qualities, and improve self control though, so by all means pick one you find interesting and then find a local club for it. Some morning jogs for a few weeks to build up stamina would do you well, but that should be all you need to get started.

Go out, find the street corner where the local thugs hang out and hit the biggest one of them. Sure you will get beaten up at first, but as you do it again and again you will learn and one day you will be the local tough guy.

Or you could, as someone already suggested, got to few classes of different martial arts and just look at what they are doing and if one of them interests you, try it. In the end, if you realise you dont like that type of matiral art / training, you can always switch to some other type of martial art. Its important to get started, after its just choosing what you like.

Also would suggest, going for some sort of MMA class, since thats where you will probably get most training, in the department of body work.

Deleted
    Fitness is not a requirement for lower level training but will make things much more pleasant for you. Increased fitness means less chance of injury and means you can concentrate on learning rather than gasping for breath during drills.

As others have said, you don't need to do any preparing before you start training.

The question of which to do is entirely different. I've done Judo, Karate and Wing Chun at various points in my life. Karate and Judo I did simply because I knew of schools nearby - the judo was fun but wasn't something I loved so when I moved I didn't find another school. Karate was better but I broke a bone in my hand and had to quit for several months; by the time I'd healed I'd realised that Karate wasn't really the martial art for me and that I wanted to find something different.

I then spent several months on the internet, researching all of the martial arts I could find. Narrowed it down to a shortlist of 6 that looked really interesting and from that found 3 that were taught in my area. Of those I went to a Wing Chun class first to observe; when the Sifu invited me to come try Chi Sau I got completely hooked and never looked back!

Nowadays I move a lot for my work and always try to find a Wing Chun school nearby. At the moment I'm off training because the only school in my area's crap, but a new one's due to start this year and the Sifu was taught by someone I've heard of, so I'll be giving it a go.

Pick the right MA and you'll love it; pick the wrong one and you can always be tempted to quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to be in Greco-Roman wrestling section. And i want to say that if you are "out of shape" in the way of being overweight, this shit is for you. I was in sparring with one fat guy, and even implying techniques allow you to overpower heavy opponent, it was fucking hard. While all he had to do, is use his weight against me when we are on the floor in a clinch.
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2014-03-20 at 09:02 AM.

There's nothing to prepare, physically speaking. Other than that, just make sure they know you're new at it, so they can put you in a starters group. This coming from someone who's done jiu-jitsu and karate, (and contemplated on Taekwondo inbetween). If you're looking for something that also can be practical, I suggest skipping karate. While it gives you favorable odds against someone without any training, no doubt, karate is mostly just for show.

Don't listen to the people who think unserious humor is the way to answer a serious question.

Deleted
    OP, do you want to learn a Martial art for fun, competition or just to defend yourself? Hard to narrow down a choice for you with so little information.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    OP, do you want to learn a Martial art for fun, competition or just to defend yourself? Hard to narrow down a choice for you with so little information.
    I think its mostly for fun - I'm certainly not currently interested in participating in tournaments, and while it might have some value in self defense, its more to help keep myself fit while doing something I might enjoy.

And when I say somewhat out of shape I don't mean I'm overweight (I'm 5'7-5'8 and 145ibs) I mean I haven't done much in the means of real physical exertion past tugging around appliances when I used to work doing that for deliveries. But I definitely need to improve my cardio.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    I think its mostly for fun - I'm certainly not currently interested in participating in tournaments, and while it might have some value in self defense, its more to help keep myself fit while doing something I might enjoy.

And when I say somewhat out of shape I don't mean I'm overweight (I'm 5'7-5'8 and 145ibs) I mean I haven't done much in the means of real physical exertion past tugging around appliances when I used to work doing that for deliveries. But I definitely need to improve my cardio.
    Thought about boxing? You can find clubs everywhere and it will get you fit bloody quick.

Stop asking on internet forums and go to a martial arts place and say "I want to learn martial arts! Where do I begin?"
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Cross over the highest mountains, swim through the fiercest rivers and find this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0MIsweebdA.