Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AndaliteBandit View Post
    This is my favorite voting district. It represents cemeteries and highways, just to connect two Latino communities. Neither side is innocent of gerrymandering.

Whilst I do believe that "earmuffs" there is pretty bad, they don't do it equally. And one side is fully prepared to go to the Supreme Court to defend it.

This is my favorite voting district. It represents cemeteries and highways, just to connect two Latino communities. Neither side is innocent of gerrymandering.

- - - Updated - - -

I got my first library card when I was 5.
    While that is fucked up it really is 70% republicans that have favourable to 30% democrats in places that are Gerrymanded. There are states in the south where for the Democrats to get 50% representation in the lower house, they have to hit around 80% of the vote. Yes both sides do it, but don't pretend that the Democrat ones are even close to as bad as republican.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Because privatization of public services is beyond stupid.
    No reason it can't be done in parallel. Up here, you can either get your license renewed at SGI offices or most insurance brokers. Plate renewals can also be done online or via mail.
    Last edited by Masark; 2015-08-31 at 06:26 AM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    While that is fucked up it really is 70% republicans that have favourable to 30% democrats in places that are Gerrymanded. There are states in the south where for the Democrats to get 50% representation in the lower house, they have to hit around 80% of the vote. Yes both sides do it, but don't pretend that the Democrat ones are even close to as bad as republican.
    and really, it's a deflection from what's being talked about; partisan politics.

10+ Year Old Account
    In California you get your drivers lic and all your vehical registration done at the DMV. We have AAA which is nice since you can go into a AA office to do you Veh stuff.
    Just because I don't care does'nt mean I don't understand

I know the voices in my head are not real BUT they have some REALLY good ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    I didn't say which side did it more, just that both sides are guilty of it.

The Daily Show once did a segment about Austin, where most of the registered voters are Democrat, but the voting districts were redrawn to extend as far as the borders of Houston and San Antonio to make sure Republicans keep getting elected.

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/kw...real-weirdness

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    The Kansas City Star: Missouri voter ID law gets initial House approval

This was done just this year of 2015. For some reason Republicans are pushing the law. You know the ones who say "Government and too many laws".

I wonder why it is always Republicans who propose/pass this type of law?

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local...e10583030.html
    I could be wrong here, but I"m fairly certain that a bill doesn't become a state law until its signed by the Governor... so 'initial House approval' is nothing short of a dogwhistle, I'm also certain that you didn't even bother to check who the MO Gov was... Democrat Jay Nixon. So, unless the MO house and MO Senate can override his probably veto then it absolutely doesn't become a law. Meaning that Stop Pretending is correct, and will remain correct.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't say which side did it more, just that both sides are guilty of it.

The Daily Show once did a segment about Austin, where most of the registered voters are Democrat, but the voting districts were redrawn to extend as far as the borders of Houston and San Antonio to make sure Republicans keep getting elected.

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/kw...real-weirdness
    RIP Daily Show T.T

Anyways, Austin has a lot more problems than gerrymandering...

It's about ethics in voting journalism.
    I know you're butthurt people might disagree with you regarding another topic, but come on man.

At least when you use a meme use it right. Jeeze.

OT: Alabama continuing to show why it's one of the worst states in the nation. Gotta keep as many people from voting as possible. That's in the spirit of America values, yup.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

I got my first library card when I was 5.
    I LOVE that voting district... Now I'd be curious to know how many folks know WHO drew this district.

I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/in...ma_dmv_co.html

Hope you have some vacation days saved up if you need to visit one.
    You should have added the words "if budget cuts stand," to the end of your title, if you were interested in being factual and/or honest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I certainly don't, but things like that just make me smh.
    and unless I'm mistaken that IL-4 which is the district represented by Luis Gutiérrez (D) for the last 22 years.

Illinois' congressional lines are drawn by the state legislature, as a regular statute, subject to gubernatorial veto. The members of the state House committee with responsibility for redistricting

House Redistricting Committee members:
    Barbara Flynn Currie (D), Chairperson
    Mike Fortner (R), Republican Spokesperson
    Edward Acevedo (D)
    Marlow Colvin (D)
    Jim Durkin (R)
    Lou Lang (D)
    Frank Mautino (D)
    Chapin Rose (R)
    Timothy Schmitz (R)
    Jill Tracy (R)
    Karen Yarbrough (D)

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    I LOVE that voting district... Now I'd be curious to know how many folks know WHO drew this district.
    We were talking about Illinois and how it keeps electing Democrats.

10+ Year Old Account
    We were talking about Illinois and how it keeps electing Democrats.
    I know you did... was expanding the knowledge for those that are inclined to handwave it away

Here in Los Angeles, there is a line of 100 people at EVERY DMV every day of the week... Even with the 4 statewide, it doesn't sound like its as bad as what we've got.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

The difference being Germany is actually ashamed of its racist past. The South remains unapologetic.
    I don't see the North atoning for its racist past, either. Trillions of dollars are made off of this stolen land every year, and the rightful owners live in squalor. Hypocrite much?

Pandaren Monk
    7+ Year Old Account
    Because profit motive encourages a reduction in quality and service.
    Quoted for ignorance.

Lack of competition reduces quality and service.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ezgeze View Post
    Lack of competition reduces quality and service.
    Sure.

And utilities are inherently monopolistic by their nature, meaning that privatizing them by extension leads to a reduction in quality and service and an increase in prices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Pandaren Monk
    7+ Year Old Account
    Sure.

And utilities are inherently monopolistic by their nature, meaning that privatizing them by extension leads to a reduction in quality and service and an increase in prices.
    Not all utilities are inherently monopolies, no, but that's a different topic altogether. Stick to the DMV man.

I would also like to state that Alabama Governor is required by law to submit a balanced budget to the legislature. Again, these are only proposed cuts and its more likely a tactic used to get their spending under control and look for real issues where they can cut if necessary.

Remember when we have the Fed gov't shutdown and they started closing parks that didn't have active staff? Same thing here, they immediately go after services that would cause an outrage in order to get cuts elsewhere.

Also, don't assume everything DMV related is a race based decision. When your only tool is a hammer, every problem becomes a nail.
    Last edited by ezgeze; 2015-08-31 at 06:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ezgeze View Post
    I would also like to state that Alabama Governor is required by law to submit a balanced budget to the legislature.
    Oh yes, I'm aware.

Stupid laws, those ones.

Also, don't assume everything DMV related is a race based decision. When your only tool is a hammer, every problem becomes a nail.
    It's Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.