Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

How do you categorize Nonhuman 'Persons'?

Whether aliens, sapient animals, A.I or posthumans, what exactly do, would and will you refer to them as? They would/could very well be classified as people, but not humans, so would Nonhumans or Nonhuman People/Persons be the best terminology? Of course many people regard the usage of 'people, person, man and woman' to apply to Homo sapiens sapiens or any species in the Homo genus exclusively as people. So would it even be right by most standards to describe them with these words?

In my opinion I would say any entity that displays self-awareness, problem-solving, a sense of rights, ethics and most importantly the want to be classified as a man or a woman should be entitled to Personhood on a de facto level if not a de jure level.

Only humans are persons

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sentient beings. If they resemble humans in form and function, probably humanoid sentien beings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

15+ Year Old Account
    Non-human Animals and plants?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Non-human Animals and plants?
    Anything that's not directly a human and displays (near) human-level intelligence, self-awareness, culture and toolmaking capabilities.

I liked the way you clarified that you would like these entities to be categorized on both the de facto and the de jure level, haha.

OT: I don't know. Entities? Beings? Whatever they would like us to refer to them as? We'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Valech View Post
    Sentient beings. If they resemble humans in form and function, probably humanoid sentien beings.
    The thing is many species share a degree of sentience and sapience comparable to humans. All dolphins, chimpanzees, bonobos, orangutans, Asian elephants and magpies passed the mirror test which was made to study self-recognition in animals, these animals even passed children as old as six in some Third World Countries.

Now to tackle synthetic life, where do you stand on advanced general artificial intelligence that involves sapience, creativity and self-recognition?

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    In my opinion I would say any entity that displays self-awareness, problem-solving, a sense of rights, ethics and most importantly the want to be classified as a man or a woman should be entitled to Personhood on a de facto level if not a de jure level.
    I see veiled discrimination toward SJW's.

15+ Year Old Account
    I reckon whatever the media uses when this happens, will stick. Not sure the word for it can be agreed on before-hand.

As for man and woman, that wouldn't apply to AI, and might not apply to aliens.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    I see veiled discrimination toward SJW's.
    Very funny So funny I even forgot to laugh...

Well, I think in many cases in fiction (WoW included), nearly any sentient being is reffered to as a "person". I think it's fine, imo the term isn't necessarly related to humans.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
    Well, I think in many cases in fiction (WoW included), nearly any sentient being is reffered to as a "person". I think it's fine, imo the term isn't necessarly related to humans.
    I often noticed that as well, although sometimes we refer to fictional beings as people but not men or women, which gets kind of confusing if you choose to ponder about it for a while.

aliens - Since we wont be going to the aliens anytime soon that means they would be coming to us, which means they would be the more advanced ones. So we'll give them whatever label works for us unless they choose to communicate in which case they'll likely develop the translation and we'll use whatever label they tell us.

However its unlikely this will happen given the state of mankind. They would take one glance at our political dealings, our tribal/racial infighting, our treatment of other lifeforms, and our general hypocritical degree of both stupidity and self-declared intelligence. Its likely they would pass us by and if they did come it would probably be as conquers not explorers in which case we'll call them: MASTER.

sapient animals - If they occur we shouldn't call them anything but instead we should delete humanity and let them have their turn on Earth.

A.I - Probably take a page from scifi and create some cute acronym.

posthumans - Will never happen so we don't have to worry about this. Humans will never be more evolved than we are now.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Deleted
    How do I classify A.Is? "IAECH" Immedtialy aply EMP charge here.

Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    I would call aliens Shrimps.
    I think you mean prawn?

I guess I'd refer them by what they are. A dog is a dog, a cat is a cat, a sentient alien is a flexale (their third gender) gazorpazorpian.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by rakhakash View Post
    The Others.
    I hope that was a reference to one of the best PG-13 Horror films ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post

aliens - Since we wont be going to the aliens anytime soon that means they would be coming to us, which means they would be the more advanced ones. So we'll give them whatever label works for us unless they choose to communicate in which case they'll likely develop the translation and we'll use whatever label they tell us.

However its unlikely this will happen given the state of mankind. They would take one glance at our political dealings, our tribal/racial infighting, our treatment of other lifeforms, and our general hypocritical degree of both stupidity and self-declared intelligence. Its likely they would pass us by and if they did come it would probably be as conquers not explorers in which case we'll call them: MASTER.

sapient animals - If they occur we shouldn't call them anything but instead we should delete humanity and let them have their turn on Earth.

A.I - Probably take a page from scifi and create some cute acronym.

posthumans - Will never happen so we don't have to worry about this. Humans will never be more evolved than we are now.
    Well a hand full of species are already verging or capable of full sapience. Humans will keep evolving and we have, evolution doesn't equate to superior neccessarily to the group it evolved from but rather better adapted to something. Our brains have been growing smaller and if we live in space or in the ocean we may likely evolve slightly larger eyes and paler skin.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    How do I classify A.Is? "IAECH" Immedtialy aply EMP charge here.
    I know you generally hate progression to develop a mind equal in intellectual and social capablities as us, but if Science-Fiction has taught you anything it should be that when you try to destroy something that's significantly intelligent, it won't take a liking to that idea. From War of the Worlds to Terminator to the newer Planet of the Apes movies...