Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Because we're unlikely to ever use it again, yet still apply penalties to people who don't sign up. There's also the fact that by eliminating it entirely, it provides another layer of protection against possible future abuse, as it's unlikely anything other than a legitimate imminent threat of destruction to this nation would bring congress together to push it through in a hurry.
    Look at the bright side, they also ask you to register to vote when you register for the draft. Since most young people are liberals, this would theoretically diminish the democrat turn out. That is, if young people ever actually voted.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    I figured that is due to tech, and not needing as many soldiers. Warfare itself has changed much since then. Between drones and such, we can do much more recon and such without putting lives at risk.
    Well, it's rare that you have to fight to retake a whole continent, and about half of two others. But the notion that no war ever needs more than the current enlistment level is just bizarre and super naive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Well, it's rare that you have to fight to retake a whole continent, and about half of two others. But the notion that no war ever needs more than the current enlistment level is just bizarre and super naive.
    If it came down to people having to defend their homes, we have plenty of armed civilians. I'm certain many would enlist without having to be asked.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Our military relies on technology, not numbers.

Regardless, were you planning a world war we should know about or something?

- - - Updated - - -

Probably a good thing that's not even close to what I said then.
    "We have people to go fight against them already, people who freely signed up to do exactly that and get paid for it."

How is what you said not also saying that current troop levels are all that is needed? Nobody in the thread is calling for a current draft to be implemented. How are we supposed to take what you said, if I am taking it the wrong way?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    This proves women shouldn't be allowed to vote. When can we repeal the 19th amendment?
    I'd rather say that dumb people -- men or women -- shouldn't be allowed to vote. :P

There really should be some kind of minimum IQ requirement at least for politicians.

Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    I'd rather say that dumb people -- men or women -- shouldn't be allowed to vote. :P

There really should be some kind of minimum IQ requirement at least for politicians.
    careful man, that's racist or something.

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    careful man, that's racist or something.
    Yeah intelligence tests to vote are banned by the voting rights act, a civil rights era law.

Yeah intelligence tests to vote are banned by the voting rights act, a civil rights era law.
    IQ tests for employment are also illegal because of "racist" reasons.

For some reason culture and intelligence are not related until you actually try to measure it then it becomes racist to do so.

That it's highly improbable we'll be getting into any conflicts that make a draft reasonable anytime soon.
    I see your point but, I'm not so sure about it. If we had the same rules of engagement as we did during WWII, we could re-fight that war with a fraction of the troops we needed then. However, its impossible to fight a current war with those rules of engagement, due to public outcry. Iraq would have gone a lot better if we had twice the troops we did.

Actually, the turn out of Black voters was historic in the last two presidential elections. Just sayin...
    So was the turn out of the young.

Quote Originally Posted by Zcion999 View Post
    IQ tests for employment are also illegal because of "racist" reasons.

For some reason culture and intelligence are not related until you actually try to measure it then it becomes racist to do so.
    To be fair, we have no reliable means to test intelligence. IQ tests are flawed in many ways.

To be fair, we have no reliable means to test intelligence. IQ tests are flawed in many ways.
    Instead of IQ tests, I kinda wish we had some sort of "voting knowledge" test. You could take a free course in how the general assembly and all that jazz works. Then you had to pass like a 20 question test that proves you have at least some knowledge of how the country works. Questions like "how many years is a presidential term?"

Testing how well a fish climbs a tree and all that. I understand, however there is a way to tailor your intelligence test to the specific skills/abilities your potential candidate will need to be able to learn the job and be effective at it. Not all tests are equal but not all jobs are either.

Quote Originally Posted by Zcion999 View Post
    Testing how well a fish climbs a tree and all that. I understand, however there is a way to tailor your intelligence test to the specific skills/abilities your potential candidate will need to be able to learn the job and be effective at it. Not all tests are equal but not all jobs are either.
    Or, you could just interview them, hire the seemingly best candidate, and then fire them later if you don't like them. /shrug

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    Instead of IQ tests, I kinda wish we had some sort of "voting knowledge" test. You could take a free course in how the general assembly and all that jazz works. Then you had to pass like a 20 question test that proves you have at least some knowledge of how the country works. Questions like "how many years is a presidential term?"
    Why do you think stupid people have less rights? They have a right to vote for whoever they want, for whatever reason they want. We are all equal.

oh my.. i dont even.

whats that supposed to even mean? is it that even if she gets a girl boner for x candidate, that she will vote based on merit and not looks or hormones?

i cant think of any other meaning... so...

wtf does "i dont vote with my vagina" supposed to even mean... :/ ... very disgraceful woman

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish I could vote with my dick, that would be god damn impressive. Women get multiple orgasms AND this? Life is so unfair.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickmagnus View Post
    I wish I could vote with my dick, that would be god damn impressive. Women get multiple orgasm AND this? Life is so unfair.
    There is a hanging chad/small dick joke in there somewhere but I'm not going to chase it down.

There is a hanging chad/small dick joke in there somewhere but I'm not going to chase it down.
    Hanging chode.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

Or, you could just interview them, hire the seemingly best candidate, and then fire them later if you don't like them. /shrug

- - - Updated - - -

Why do you think stupid people have less rights? They have a right to vote for whoever they want, for whatever reason they want. We are all equal.
    I wouldn't go so far as to say we are all equal.

If you have no idea how anything works, and you are voting just to vote, I personally think its stupid and I don't favor that system. Why should your uninformed vote, mean just as much as a vote from someone who studies this and has an accurate idea of whats actually going on?

If there are 2 candidates with completely opposite views, I don't care which one you vote for. We can have a difference of opinion. I can vote for candidate A because I believe he is the best man for the job. I don't think its fair that you are casting a vote for candidate A because your mom is and that's who she told you to vote for. That's just my view on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickmagnus View Post
    I wish I could vote with my dick, that would be god damn impressive. Women get multiple orgasms AND this? Life is so unfair.
    i knew a guy capable of multiple orgasms in rare occasions .. if you can count 2 within 30 seconds multiple.

as for life being unfair, you boys get to write the name in the snow (or a wall)... that is unfair ~!

15+ Year Old Account
    Actually, no. This isn't about having to be smart, merely knowing what voting actually is. I would TOTALLY be in favor of a "how our county works" test to handle voting rights. You can be a super genius or the block's dumb kid, doesn't matter, but you should at least have an idea what the hell you're doing. We don't give out driving licenses unless you pass a test first. Same thing here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.