Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Idiocracy script writer says his satire of the futre has become a reality

http://usuncut.com/politics/idiocrac...ecome-reality/

"Idiocracy has been a long-cherished sci-fi satire in cult circles, telling the tale of two people who wake up from a cryogenic sleep to find that the country has become a wasteland of anti-intellectualism.

Now, ten years later, the co-writer of the cult comedy classic, Etan Cohen, thinks that the movie is satire no longer, marveling that his movie has gone from fiction to non-fiction. On Twitter today, Cohen used his movie to perfectly sum up our current political climate.

I never expected #idiocracy to become a documentary.

— Etan Cohen (@etanjc) February 24, 2016

Speaking with The Hill, he quipped that “I thought the worst thing that would come was everyone wearing Crocs.” Cohen’s jokes come from a place of disenchanted exhaustion. Many voters are sharing in this exhaustion during an election season where a reality show host who gloated recently “I love the poorly educated!” is a frontrunner for President of the United States of America.
    http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...anics-20160224

“People will email and post stuff on my Twitter that’s like, ‘Hey, you predicted it right!’ So that’s always nice. But it’s not always nice because you want the world to become a better place,” Mike Judge, the other co-writer and director of the film, told The Verge in 2014. “Yep, we’re doomed. Might as well make jokes about it.”

Terry Crews, the ex-football player and current actor and TV personality who played the role of the nation’s outlandish leader, President Camacho, posted his own likeness on Twitter to mock the ongoing election back in January.

PRESIDENT CAMACHO says:

ALL Y’ALL NEED TO STOP TRIPPIN. CHILL THE F OUT, ‘MERICA#CAMACHO2016pic.twitter.com/qj7UgLU20V

— terrycrews (@terrycrews) January 14, 2016
    "

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm suprised I haven't seen this considering I love everything else Mike Judge has done.

Deleted
    "Idiocracy" becoming reality in the US, "Planet of the Apes" becoming a reality in Europe.

We're screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    "Idiocracy" becoming reality in the US, "Planet of the Apes" becoming a reality in Europe.
    whut

/stupidfucking10chars
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    I'm suprised I haven't seen this considering I love everything else Mike Judge has done.
    It wasn't a big hit, plus it pissed a lot of people off. I'd recommend watching it, but it's not that great.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    But he just stole the story from the Marching Morons...
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    whut

/stupidfucking10chars
    he was calling the refugees apes

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    It hasn't really come true, merely people are just never ready in America at least and increasingly elsewhere, are willing to trust Intellectuals as a class of people.

Experts make bad calls, sometimes disastrously bad calls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

When has any society as a whole been pro intellectualism?

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    It wasn't a big hit, plus it pissed a lot of people off. I'd recommend watching it, but it's not that great.
    I loved the movie. Absolutely one of the most accurate sci-fi movies these years. And yes, people being pissed off about someone telling them how dumb they really are is exactly what's to be expected. Again, Idiocracy is the perfect reference for this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    It hasn't really come true, merely people are just never ready in America at least and increasingly elsewhere, are willing to trust Intellectuals as a class of people.

Not half as often or half as bad as dumb fucks, to be fair.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

I still have yet to see a couch toilet or shows that are focused solely on kicking guys in the balls. But Donald Trump isn't president yet, so I'll get it a few more years.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Iwell you have kids watching adults play with toys on youtube you have game enthusiasts watching people play videogames, you have people who want to restrict freedom of speech because they find contradiction offensive, you have people who reject science because of political or religious beliefs and lastly people who believe trump will make america great again...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post

Slavery never left America.

Figure it out already.
    Last edited by mmoc614a3ed308; 2016-02-26 at 12:13 AM.

Sadly enough, I'd be far more willing to vote for Camacho for President than any of the actual candidates we have right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    And it has been. It has been summed up for me when I messaged someone about a viral Facebook post they shared being completely false. Their reply? "So what?"

It saddens me to see how many people just share everything they see with no critical thinking, investigation, or education behind whatever it says. What is more appalling is how readily they believe undocumented sources and deride anyone who has actual evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviemore View Post
    Carlin for all his vitriol was a savant, really amazing guy.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    I still have yet to see a couch toilet or shows that are focused solely on kicking guys in the balls. But Donald Trump isn't president yet, so I'll get it a few more years.

I think "keeping up with the whores(kardashines)" is just as bad.

The crocs thing is really bad, admittedly.