Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    New developers .. new direction.

The game is tuned to generate money nowadays, rather than provide a solid experience.

13 -7 years ago focus = GAME EXPERIENCE, VASTNESS, IMMERSION.

7 years ago to Now = GAME, INCOMING MONEY, MORE MONEY. EVEN MORE MONEY AFTER THAT. THX.

Oh well

EDIT:
    Off note - what does the title even remotely have to do with your post? /boggle
    if you truly think vanilla was not created to generate money you are a moron.
    i will let you in on a secret: nearly every game is made to generate money. wow (neither vanilla, nor todays) is not an exception to this rule.

Right .. Back then to 2004, 12 bucks a month was an awesome experience. You got to see every single item the game had to offer, provided you worked for it. Everything was available.

Nowadays, 15 bucks a month. We get to to see the game; most of the good stuff is in the cash shop. Best mounts in there too, outfits, pets? oh goodness. If I drop 5 grand I can buy from the cash-shop and sell what I buy for in-game gold in the AH .... ooh ... oh isn't that PTW?

[Of course not, says the people doing this], while others go away, unsubscribing in silence.
    shows how much clue you have about todays wow. lets check the shop then. 13 pets 10 mounts 3 helmets are in there. "best mounts" is very subjective. for instance i am pretty sure ALOT more people think alar or invincible is "the best mount" compared to people who actually think "wow shop mount xyz is clearly the best". different people like different stuff. shocking i know.

also its been a long time since "everything" was available. the tcg came out what, 2005, 2006? something arround there and ever since you could work as much as you want ingame you would never be able to get everything.

and also you can buy everything from the shop with gold aswell, but if you honestly think that "most of the good stuff is in the cash shop." i dont think there is much hope for you left.

No, but you be considerably better off than a noob who might spend 50-100 hours gearing up properly. You spend the $$ in the Cash-shop, sell the loot for gold, then buy purples, or commission various tradeskiller's to make items for you. You pay top gold for services. For gold you never actually earned in-game. PTW.

Not to mention gold is very useful for consumables. Not every guildie has time to farm or earn stuff for raids. Buy some tokens to resell for gold, so much easier, right? PTW. Then you have all the mats you need. Or potions, or whatever gold buys. PTW.
    also you should really read up what "pay to win" means. this post makes it pretty clear you have no clue what it means. there is a big difference between being lazy and winning, to give you a clue.
    Last edited by mmoc1797279e3d; 2017-03-20 at 04:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xWolfx View Post
    also its been a long time since "everything" was available. the tcg came out what, 2005, 2006? something arround there and ever since you could work as much as you want ingame you would never be able to get everything.
    Yeah, up until, WoD you couldn't get a dancing murloc pet if you didn't get lucky with TCG packs or didn't paid a ridiculous amount of money on ebay for one. There were items that were literally unreachable for players neither by playing or by paying blizzard
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2017-03-20 at 04:48 AM. Reason: i think i'll stop arguing
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Your title suggests that the game has gone BACKWARDS toward Nostalgia,
    but the contents of your post states a division over people who wish they would do that,
    and the fact they clearly have done the opposite of that.

So I think you might have wanted to think through your thoughts better before posting.
    I'm absolutely NOT trashing your post, just pointing out the title and phrasing are contradictory sounding.

I've been around since Vanilla .. Yep, I seriously have.
    People love saying "U NOT REALLY FROM VANILLA U LYING"
    But it's true. My account has been active since a year prior to TBC coming out, so
    I wasn't RAIDING in Vanilla but I've seen what the game was like and did alotta video watching/reading about raiding because I was expecting to maybe be doing that before hearing about TBC's announcement, which of course, changed that.

I began raiding in TBC and have been on and off ever since.

So, for me? Legion's end game is VERY solid. LOTS of ways to play, lots of paths to potential success.
    That is exactly what I wanted them to do for a long time. While not perfect, it's a strong stride in the right direction.

Most classes actual gameplay though? Ugh, yikes. Hunters are damn near unplayable IMO.
    Many other classes feature bland, clunky rotations and talents are a DISASTER area right now.
    Balance between each talent and tier is a mess, also.

So the end game content is great, loving that part.
    Class gameplay? I will point to MOP as the best gameplay period.
    Not the best balance, but the best gameplay experience in terms of HOW your class FELT to play.

Balance wise? I think WOTLK and dare say, TBC, where the best.
    If you applied yourself back then, you could do really well, even beyond what your gear suggested.
    Cataclysm was like that in a sense, too, in my experience anyway.
    Last edited by Spiral Mage; 2017-03-20 at 04:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xWolfx View Post
    also you should really read up what "pay to win" means. this post makes it pretty clear you have no clue what it means. there is a big difference between being lazy and winning, to give you a clue.
    Gold buys much in game. Power. Consumables for high raiding. If you don't understand this, well, it's pointless continuing. Others know and understand. Sorry you don't understand.

yeah nothing rare really exites me anymore and thats the worst part. i remember looking at cool mounts or sweet gear and thinking "wow that has prestige, and is rare" therefore i want to play to get said items. thats not the case today
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSuze View Post
    You've mistakenly made the assumption that I'm not capable of buying MORE poutine.

I think what people are referring to when they say Vanilla, BC, Wrath was the best is that they want to go back to those older styles but keep some of the new QoL improvements.

LFD and LFR kinda killed off the server community feeling as well as cross realm raiding/pugging. I would rather them just merge a bunch of low pop servers to make a high pop one than merge realms in and out with cross realm zone tech. Just permanently merge them together and stick it like that if there's a problem. I don't like seeing random people from other servers pop into my game just because Azsuna is a little underpopulated for Blizzard's tastes. Being alone at 4 AM made sense so I don't see why it's a problem.

I vastly prefer the older loot system as well and I greatly dislike the warforged/titanforged system. It causes things like M+ to be farm fests for no good reason. You have the endless gearing potential there and it really makes things unfun. Gear should just be capped at the item level at which it drops and that should be the end of that. If you want the best gear from raiding then it should come from raiding. If you want alternative ways to gear up for raiding then I really enjoy M+ for that... but it feels really stupid that Mythic raiders need to do M+ on the off chance that the thing titanforges up to 910 or something stupid like that.

I also prefer the older style of raiding as well when you got one lock out for the week and you could only kill a boss one time that week. None of this "Clear it on normal, heroic, and mythic" bullshit we have today. If you cleared normal mode then you worked on heroic the next week. You'd kill a boss or two and then you'd have farm night at the end of the week. It gets on my nerves having to clear the same raid at least twice a week, though this also wouldn't be as big a problem if the gear couldn't titanforge as well. It makes heroic pretty mandatory seeing as it always has the chance to give better than Mythic item level of the exact same gear. Can't kill Mythic Elisande? No worries fam that titanforge 905+ trinket just dropped off heroic. I really despise clearing the same raid multiple times over and over and over again every single week.

I mean there are plenty of things that I would keep from today. I really enjoy the fact that mythic raiding is set to 20 players and I enjoy that the lower difficulties can be done in a flexible group size which allows for more casual guilds not to have to exclude anybody simply because they have like 14 players who enjoy raiding in their guild. I also wouldn't hate the fact that there are so many difficulties as much if the lockouts were exclusive to one boss kill a week or the loot from normal/heroic couldn't compete to mythic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post

LFD and LFR kinda killed off the server community feeling as well as cross realm raiding/pugging. I would rather them just merge a bunch of low pop servers to make a high pop one than merge realms in and out with cross realm zone tech.
    No you wouldn't, mostly because it's almost impossible (read: extremely hard depending on how new server is and how many characters it hoards) from technical standpoint, you can't just copy>paste characters without conflicts happening, that's why character transfer took so long to implement and for first time it was really long almost manually done process (well, the last part i've got from an excuse for why my character transfer took more than 2 weeks of fucking time)
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

This is the single worst topic for this forum you could have picked.

Also, most people's opinions on said topic are extremely low-quality.

Deleted
    Gold buys much in game. Power. Consumables for high raiding. If you don't understand this, well, it's pointless continuing. Others know and understand. Sorry you don't understand.
    Seems to me it is you who wont understand.
    You can not buy most powerfull gear in WoW with gold. All you can buy old outdated gear, you cant WIN anything with it.
    By simply playing a game, you get more than enough gold for raid consumables. And having consumable doesnt mean you will win, it only makes you 0.5% more powerfull.

New developers .. new direction.

The game is tuned to generate money nowadays, rather than provide a solid experience.

13 -7 years ago focus = GAME EXPERIENCE, VASTNESS, IMMERSION.

7 years ago to Now = GAME, INCOMING MONEY, MORE MONEY. EVEN MORE MONEY AFTER THAT. THX.

Oh well

EDIT:
    Off note - what does the title even remotely have to do with your post? /boggle
    The timing coincides fairly closely to when Blizzard sold out (in every conceivable way) to Activision.

Deleted
    I don't see anything done "to keep nostalgia" - maybe the character-model remake?!

I think the game from classic to WotlK was kinda "keep going" and since cataclysm every single expansion had major redesigns in almost every aspect. Change of raidsize and how difficulties work, class mechanics, professions, reputation/daily quest system, dungeon rewards/modes...

You can call the WoW team a lot but certainly not that they are rock-solid and never touch their system.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen26 View Post
    This isn't a degradation post about retail World of Warcraft. Lately I have seen a lot of people saying they miss old wow (2004 - 2012), which in bias I agree with as well. But others seem to like the new direction the WOW team has taken the game. I want to know your opinions on the current state, and please no trashing each other. We all have our own opinions on this game that we all play.
    All xpacks after WotLK - are rehashes of old ideas. Cata - attempt to rehash Vanilla (Ragnaros'n'stuff). MOP - xpack, based of easter eggs from Vanilla, that should have been part of part of TBC. WOD - TBC rehash. Legion - TBC rehash 2.0.

So, yeah, you're right. Wow has gone way too far in keeping old nostalgia.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

That age range in the OP is pretty weird. Cata was pretty awful. Not quite WoD level, but it was bad. WotLK was, honestly, a so-so expansion save for the story. I also continue to hate it because it was from that point onwards that they really started to ramp up the whole catch-up mechanisms thing, making their own content obsolete in a single patch.

TBC's areas certainly left something to desire, but I think it made up for it with expansion-long raid progress that didn't automatically dump people at the latest content and allowed them, too, to become bored with it in a month and quit. It also didn't have a bazillion different, stupid modes for each raid. Get good (enough) or don't see the content. It also had slower PvP, and slow PvP is a GOOD THING. It allows people time to think, and most of all, it allows people time to employ tactics. This goes for any kind of PvP game, really, WoW included. Classic... well, the world was still new to me then, so I won't pretend to try to be objective. It was a great (subjective) experience, though.

Common to all of these, however, was that they really didn't employ much RNG (beyond drop rate) in terms of loot. When they introduced warforging in MoP, I thought it was a bad idea. When they kept it up in WoD, I thought it was a bad idea. When the RNG spread to a ton of other systems in Legion... yes, I thought it was a bad idea. Characters I've been playing for months don't have their best legendaries, while a random alt that I leveled for fun got the BiS legendary in some random cache. This is a bad system. It has turned from "Wow! Cool! I got a legendary!" into "For fuck's sake, Sephuz? And now my droprate for the next chance at getting the best legendaries is lower. Should I reroll this character?" WoW isn't Diablo 3, and it shouldn't try to be.

Really, I'm not sure where the whole old nostalgia thing is coming from. They haven't gone back to the olden times. Things are more random than ever, they're continuing to stick to the Cata area design paradigm of shoving loads of shit into an area even if it makes the area totally unbelievable as a place people would actually live... as many raid modes as there's ever been.
    Last edited by Sevyvia; 2017-03-20 at 07:21 AM.

The audience is why the game changed. Vanilla was designed for RPG fans, Blizzard expected their playerbase would probably enjoy travelling to another continent to have chinwag with a Goblin. Today that's not cool. Outside of raiding I definitely prefer Classic WoW in every aspect.

The only thing I dislike about legion in terms of nostalgia is the rehashing of old dungeons without changing them much. I hate Violet Hold. I nearly dozed off today in Heroic VH. It takes sooo long and it's so boring.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also buying carries and getting kitted out using the gold from tokens....

IDK it mus be cloudy concept or something for some not to see it. LOL That being said I don't really care to much about it since it does not really directly impact me (yaya I know the overall impact but just in general and in my personal gameplay btu cant speak for others)

- - - Updated - - -

Ya CAN buy Mythic raid and Keystone+ runs... I wonder if any of those ppl that took the gold they made from paying cash for a token to sell on the AH bought a mythic clear and if that would give gear that is any good or no...

Clearly others do not understand though right? LMAO
    Just because I don't care does'nt mean I don't understand

I know the voices in my head are not real BUT they have some REALLY good ideas

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, but you be considerably better off than a noob who might spend 50-100 hours gearing up properly. You spend the $$ (buying gold from some website), then buy purples, or commission various tradeskiller's to make items for you. You pay top gold for services. For gold you never actually earned in-game. PTW.

Not to mention gold is very useful for consumables. Not every guildie has time to farm or earn stuff for raids. Buy some (edit) gold, so much easier, right? PTW. Then you have all the mats you need. Or potions, or whatever gold buys. PTW.
    This's like, nothing new.

Right .. Back then to 2004, 12 bucks a month was an awesome experience. You got to see every single item the game had to offer, provided you worked for it. Everything was available.

Nowadays, 15 bucks a month. We get to to see the game; most of the good stuff is in the cash shop. Best mounts in there too, outfits, pets? oh goodness. If I drop 5 grand I can buy from the cash-shop and sell what I buy for in-game gold in the AH .... ooh ... oh isn't that PTW?

[Of course not, says the people doing this], while others go away, unsubscribing in silence.
    I don't know what's so amazing in the shop, because I disabled the ability to access it so my kids wouldn't hit the button. But I can say I enjoy myself without and don't miss a thing, not having bought a single item from the shop (not even the sparkle pony, which actually had some function before account-wide mounts).

And playing along with your delusion, if you buy a token and sell it for gold, what are you winning, exactly? 1) Gold is easy as hell to acquire. 2) Gold doesn't buy anything that would let you "win," unless your standard of "winning" is Curve or something. And in that strange case, you can still easily make your own gold to "win." 3) Nothing in the shop provides an advantage outside of anything you could acquire in-game.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Completely the opposite imo. They took out too much or added systems for the sake of "moving forward". Things like LFR, dungeon finder, removing ammunition/soul stones, homogenization, etc.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't really understand your topic choice. Blizzard do very little to "keep old nostalgia". WoW today is a completely different game than it used to be (for good and bad).