Arcane orb is ridiculously underrated

Playing arcane mage almost exclusively in M+ and pvp content I can't grasp why all the raid guides I find don't recommend Arcane Orb at all for cleave/AoE fights (like Mistress and Host.) The ability to generate full arcane charge with a single GCD is insane, especially when you consider how much damag arcane barrage does if you can manage to hit stacked targets.

Paired with the newer legendary shoulders from 7.2.5 arcane orb is actually insane, and yet guides seem to always default to overpowered because it's passive and gives you flat extra damage and mana efficiency.

Arcane orb is extremely fun and extremely good. It's shrugged off as a gimmick only used in PvP but it's actually insane.

Deleted
    The reason it's not recommended is that other options / specs are so much better. It may feel great if you only play arcane.

I acutlaly agree with u but the only reason i dont take it its because its long CD, 15-10 sec CD would make more sense.

its shrugged off because arcane is bad on every fight except mythic harjatan.

Main issue is that AoE damage is not needed for progress.
    Passive cleave will kill 99% of adds before they need to die, so anyone sacrificing single target dps to do more AoE dps only makes the fight last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Talvindius View Post
    Playing arcane mage almost exclusively in M+ and pvp content I can't grasp why all the raid guides I find don't recommend Arcane Orb at all for cleave/AoE fights (like Mistress and Host.) The ability to generate full arcane charge with a single GCD is insane, especially when you consider how much damag arcane barrage does if you can manage to hit stacked targets.

Paired with the newer legendary shoulders from 7.2.5 arcane orb is actually insane, and yet guides seem to always default to overpowered because it's passive and gives you flat extra damage and mana efficiency.

Arcane orb is extremely fun and extremely good. It's shrugged off as a gimmick only used in PvP but it's actually insane.
    ?? Because you're just going to take the massive AP burst increase and use the legendary shoulders with it. Not sure why you wouldn't rather just pop a really strong AP while you AE and get shoulder procs instead of wasting your boss/ST damage potential outright so that you'll cleave a bit more outside of AP
    Last edited by Erolian; 2017-09-24 at 01:49 PM.

The loss of overpowered isn't worth it imo.

However, for heavy aoe and clumped cleave I do use the legendary shoulders. 40% chance at max arcane charges to send an arcane orb when you barrage.

I find the damage isn't the best part of it though, but the opportunity to instant cap arcane charges to continue aoe at max damage between barrages.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Talvindius View Post

AO can outperform AP only during long consistent aoe fights. Apparently, there is no such fight in WoW atm

You can take AO for fun when running low m+ with mobs affix tho.

Agree with OP. in a +11 BRH (teeming, explosive, fortified) last night with AO talented, leggo shoulders, and talent ring: averaging 3-4mil dps per pull solely off AB, AO, shoulder procs, and frequent POM use from all the missiles generated. Trash pulls with AP peaked around 5.5-6mil dps.

Boss dps was lacking without overpowered but was extremely fun nonetheless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dplganger View Post
    Agree with OP. in a +11 BRH (teeming, explosive, fortified) last night with AO talented, leggo shoulders, and talent ring: averaging 3-4mil dps per pull solely off AB, AO, shoulder procs, and frequent POM use from all the missiles generated. Trash pulls with AP peaked around 5.5-6mil dps.

Boss dps was lacking without overpowered but was extremely fun nonetheless.
    I agree.. I think arc needs the st damage more than the aoe spikes right now but it's a fun talent.