My personal hopes for BfA

First of all, this list is just things I would like to see. They are things that would make professions more fun for me. I am not claiming it would make them better. I am not claiming it would be good for the game. I fully admit I might have terrible ideas. These are just things I think would be fun and make me happier to do professions. That out of the way, here we go.

Restructure quests.
    I like the way we learn most of our patterns from quests. It made me feel more like I was learning instead of just filling up a bar. But the system could use a little tweeking. They pretty much said this is going to happen but here's how I'd like to see it go down.

At 110 and with the next rank trained you get a small quest chain, say maybe 3 long, one per zone. So you can rush out to get them done if you want or just work on it while you level up. At the end of it you get your base line crafts, the blues that help fresh 120s get into heroics cheap. I'm thinking maybe low level food for cooks, pots for alchemists and consumables for engineers.

At 120 you get another, similar chain. The end of this one though gets you the end game crafts. The gear that gets people into m0 and raids. This would be the max stat food, flasks and toys/pets level for cooks, alchs and engs.

Short, sweet, and you're done. Should still hold that sense of growth but not bogging you down or taking too long.

Restructure ranks.
    I like the IDEA of ranks, but not the way it was put in. Here's some ideas on how I think it would work better.

Rank 1:Requires the use of a station. For every profession. You need to be in your capital city to make anything at rank 1. You just learned to work with this new material, learned new ways to make things, you need a little help.

Rank 2:Can be made anywhere. You've gotten used to making this one so now you can make it anywhere! No need to be at the station for it. Learned by crafting rank 1. You have a chance every time you make the item to learn rank 2, with a cap point so you will learn it after X number of crafts. You might learn it sooner with luck, but you will get it if RNG screws you.

Rank 3:For non-consumables you can make it with less materials. For consumables you make more. You're more efficient, you can get the same results with less materials, letting you make more! Learned...not sure. There's a part of me that likes the WQ way, but RNG can keep you from getting it too easily. Rep grinds for patterns are a pain for alts. I don't like the idea of patterns dropping from bosses, never have. The only other idea I have is to learn it like you do rank 2, only you need more crafts for it and a lower chance to learn it early.

Realm wide crafting storage.
    I would love it to have all of my mats on the same server inside one large bank. 1000 slots sounds fair to me. Please note I am saying Realm wide, not account wide. I have issues with account wide. Namely the people with gold on a ton of realms. They'd end up buying cheap on 1 realm and sell high on another. Account wide mat storage would screw up realm economies hard. Only if they did a full merger of AH realms would this be acceptable to me.

Return specializations.
    I LOVED specializations. I miss them. There were flaws with them back in the day but most of them aren't even a factor of crafting any more. Namely the idea of BoP gear. I would love for BS to get weapon and armor back. LW to pick between leather and mail. ETC. I think it would be fun to pick one side or another, help you pick your niche on your server.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like the idea of specializations returning

As far as a storage system, there's already one in game, in the form of having a bank toon with a decked out bank

I also like the rank idea, as it's already in game and I've grown accustom to it
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

Sounds good, but considering Blizzard stated that they won't work as much on professions for BfA as they did for Legion, I have no hopes for professions getting any love in BfA.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't say they aren't getting any love. Legion introduced a better system than they previously had forbprofessions, and there's not much work needed to be done on them minus a few tweaks here and there depending on personal preference

Quote Originally Posted by Azkial View Post
    As far as a storage system, there's already one in game, in the form of having a bank toon with a decked out bank
    The difference though is that my main has very little bag space left and trying to get enough mats to him for crafting is a massive pain. This system would allow for everything to be crafted out of the same shared storage without needing to mail things around. There was a quick idea tossed out about this at blizzcon, but it was one of those "this is a neat idea in our heads" kind of thing. I hope it goes in, but not expecting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tisane View Post
    Sounds good, but considering Blizzard stated that they won't work as much on professions for BfA as they did for Legion, I have no hopes for professions getting any love in BfA.
    For the most part I don't think professions need a lot of love. They have a lot of great systems in place and it just needs tweeking. The questing and rank restructure are likely to happen, and they said it's something they're looking at. The biggest change I suggested is the return of specializations, which honestly doesn't need a lot of work. Just give us a quest chain to pick which way we go, then seal up the highest end bits to each side.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miatog View Post
    The difference though is that my main has very little bag space left and trying to get enough mats to him for crafting is a massive pain. This system would allow for everything to be crafted out of the same shared storage without needing to mail things around. There was a quick idea tossed out about this at blizzcon, but it was one of those "this is a neat idea in our heads" kind of thing. I hope it goes in, but not expecting it.

For the most part I don't think professions need a lot of love. They have a lot of great systems in place and it just needs tweeking. The questing and rank restructure are likely to happen, and they said it's something they're looking at. The biggest change I suggested is the return of specializations, which honestly doesn't need a lot of work. Just give us a quest chain to pick which way we go, then seal up the highest end bits to each side.
    I've never actually understood how people lack bag space when you have a bank, reagent bank, and void storage, but it does indeed seem to be a common problem for people

Quote Originally Posted by Azkial View Post
    I've never actually understood how people lack bag space when you have a bank, reagent bank, and void storage, but it does indeed seem to be a common problem for people
    I run about 25 free slots in my bags these days. Bank and personal both full of 30 slot bags. Reagent, bank, and void all maxed out. I don't bother much with alts outside of story and profs, so they're all much better shape. Shuffling mats around on my main though, yeah it's a huge pain.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miatog View Post
    I run about 25 free slots in my bags these days. Bank and personal both full of 30 slot bags. Reagent, bank, and void all maxed out. I don't bother much with alts outside of story and profs, so they're all much better shape. Shuffling mats around on my main though, yeah it's a huge pain.
    Yea I've run into that a few times, but generally I have about 40 spots open, depending. It'll be nice to get that update backpack in BFA

Agree that specializations should make a comeback.

I want scopes back in engineering.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a forlorn hope but my wish for professions is that they give them some real depth and do something to keep them viable and worth doing for an entire expansion. I don't think they will. At this point I can make a case that pet battles have more depth as a mini-game than professions. That's just wrong and I'm not one of those that hates pet battles.

I believe that professions are a core part of the game, they should be a core part of who & what your character is, and should be paid attention to.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

I think professions are one of those relics from Vanilla / BC era that the devs cannot fit into the game anymore, similiar to reputation.

At least as far as the crafting (BS; LW; Engineer, etc.) and all gathering professions go.

How about an item that can upgrade your gear (Depending on Armor type) as some sort of compensation of the Warforged / Titanforging system, obviously would need some restrictions, but at least it would give BS / LW / Tailoring / Inscription some sort of point of existence.

great ideas on ranks and I agree on specialization!

I wish Blizz would allow three professions; two crafting & one gathering...

Then I could take Herbalism to feed Alchemy & Inscription...

With max Cooking, all raid consumables would be covered (food, flasks, pots, & runes), and bonus with that double time on flasks / pots...!