View Poll Results: Should we deport people who are here illegally for getting DUIs?

Voters
126. This poll is closed
  • Yes

113 89.68%
  • No

13 10.32%
Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Should we deport people here illegally for getting DUIs?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.325f7f9fecec

For most of the past six decades, the Republican Party could count on Charlie Heimach. The retired Air Force colonel donated money to President Richard Nixon, backed Ronald Reagan and both Bushes, and cast his ballot last year for Donald Trump.

But in the recent Virginia governor’s race, Heimach voted for the Democrat, because of the Trump administration’s crackdown on illegal immigration, and its attempts to deport a ballroom dancing instructor from the studio where Heimach, 79, likes to Lindy Hop.

Since May, Heimach and a disparate crew of lawyers, military veterans, a dog walker, an entomologist and others united in their love for dancing have been on a crusade to protect the instructor they call “G,” an undocumented immigrant from Mongolia who was arrested twice in 2016 for drunken driving.
    Gantulga landed a job at the Arthur Murray Dance Center in Alexandria and worked his way up to a top instructor.

But he was also drinking, sometimes too much.

In July 2016, police arrested him for drunken driving. Four months later, he was arrested again, for driving under the influence and a hit-and-run that involved him striking a parked car and leaving the scene. He was convicted both times and served about a month in jail.

Gantulga lost his DACA protection while his second criminal charge was pending. Soon, the government told him that they would try to deport him.

“Mr. Gantulga entered the United States on a nonimmigrant visa but currently does not have lawful status in the United States,” said U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement spokeswoman Carissa Cutrell. “Gantulga has proven himself to be a public safety threat.”

Gantulga says the drinking and driving “definitely wouldn’t have happened if my parents were here.”

But he also said he took responsibility: “It was something that I did.”
    It sure seems like its unfair to ruin a man's life simply because he likes to drink and drive. The truth is that people who are caught driving drunk are just extremely unlucky; statistically speaking your average drunk driver will drive drunk 80 times before he or she is caught. Driving drunk is also a situation where the person doing it is technically not in his right mind when committing the actual crime, which further clouds the issue of how harshly drunk driving should be judged.

Of course, the other side of the argument in this case is that Gantulga has an extreme problem with driving drunk, making him a danger to other people on the road since he even was involved in a hit and run while intoxicated. This might be a stronger argument than the desire of his students to keep their favorite dance instructor.

So what do people think about this issue?
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

10+ Year Old Account
    Broke the same law multiple times? Deport.

Once may be a judgement mistake. More than that and you're being an asshole who doesn't deserve to be able to drive

Is there a legal way to get a DUI?
    Signature not found

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    It sure seems like its unfair to ruin a man's life simply because he likes to drink and drive.
    The bait in this sentence alone is so incredible. Venant, well done sir.

Holy fucking shit.

No, you should deport them for being there illegally.

It sure seems like its unfair to ruin a man's life simply because he likes to drink and drive. The truth is that people who are caught driving drunk are just extremely unlucky; statistically speaking your average drunk driver will drive drunk 80 times before he or she is caught. Driving drunk is also a situation where the person doing it is technically not in his right mind when committing the actual crime, which further clouds the issue of how harshly drunk driving should be judged.

Of course, the other side of the argument in this case is that Gantulga has an extreme problem with driving drunk, making him a danger to other people on the road since he even was involved in a hit and run while intoxicated. This might be a stronger argument than the desire of his students to keep their favorite dance instructor.

You know who's also just extremely unlucky? The poor people who get killed by these unlucky drunk drivers every year. Of all the reasons to argue against deporting illegal immigrants, I simply give not enough fucks to make a case for a DUI criminal.

Nope. They should be deported for being there illegally. The DUI is just how people find out about it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    The bait in this sentence alone is so incredible. Venant, well done sir.

Holy fucking shit.
    Well when I looked up the statistics it seems like somebody who is repeatedly caught drinking and driving does it very often, so I suppose you would have to say he likes doing it, or is a habitual drinker and driver. It does seem like drinking and driving is one of those things in American society that is extremely hard to defend on legal and ethical grounds, which is why it often comes to a question of whether the consequences of doing it should be mitigated.
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

LOLWUT? Is that seriously your argument FOR drunk driving?

Driving drunk is also a situation where the person doing it is technically not in his right mind when committing the actual crime, which further clouds the issue of how harshly drunk driving should be judged.
    I almost fell out of my chair laughing. The person chooses to drink to the point they make bad decisions. Still the persons fault. That drunk person then decided to get behind the wheel... STILL that persons fault.

Did he lose his DACA protection due to failure to renew? Or did they take it from him? Either way I feel like drinking and driving while being allowed to stay in a country that isn't your own is a pretty bad idea in general, and repeat offenders should probably be deported. Not that there's ever really a good time to drink and drive.

Quote Originally Posted by spanishninja View Post
    You know who's also just extremely unlucky? The poor people who get killed by these unlucky drunk drivers every year. Of all the reasons to argue against deporting illegal immigrants, I simply give not enough fucks to make a case for a DUI criminal.
    In the past few months, it has become a very big issue that ICE is targeting people here illegally who have DUI convictions.

Some would argue that this is wrong because DUIs aren't 'violent crimes'.

It sure seems like its unfair to ruin a man's life simply because he likes to drink and drive.
    WTF?
    On average, over 10k people die every year because of this shit.

People who get duis should get deported no matter what, send them to a gulag.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the past few months, it has become a very big issue that ICE is targeting people here illegally who have DUI convictions.

Doesn't matter. If you can't stay on your best behavior, you should get out. He is a habitual offender which raises the chance of killing someone. He lost any sympathy he could have had

They kill almost as many people as violent criminals.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinyc View Post

I almost fell out of my chair laughing. The person chooses to drink to the point they make bad decisions. Still the persons fault. That drunk person then decided to get behind the wheel... STILL that persons fault.

and then someone has sex with you while you're drunk and it's not your fault.

okay I'm basically baiting here cos I agree, I'm just pointing out an obvious irregulatiy in law.

anyway, anyone who drives drunk is a fucking asshole, and if you do it more than once (I think everyone's allowed one mistake in life) then yeah, you should get deported.

10+ Year Old Account

your argument is pretty shitty.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinyc View Post
    LOLWUT? Is that seriously your argument FOR drunk driving?

Making an argument to defend drunk driving is very challenging, and the basis of the article is 'these people like this guy because he is their dance instructor, therefore he should not face deportation for the DUIs. Also he promises not to do it again.' Its basically a bad argument because it combines elements of special pleading with an appeal to emotion, but its also a major article from the Washington Post.

This statement is up there with the stupidest shit I've seen put on this forum. Pull your fucking head in, drunk driving is not ok.

Love how you tried to cater to those who drive drunk. Sorry but the bait could have been more subtle.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.