10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs down U.S. hate groups proliferate in Trump's first year

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The number of U.S. hate groups expanded last year under President Donald Trump, fueled by his immigration stance and the perception that he sympathized with those espousing white supremacy, the Southern Poverty Law Center said on Wednesday

There were 954 hate groups in the country in 2017, marking a 4 percent increase over the previous year when the number rose 2.8 percent, the civil rights watchdog said in its annual census of such groups.

Since 2014, the number has jumped 20 percent, it said.

Among the more than 600 white supremacist groups, neo-Nazi organizations rose to 121 from 99. Anti-Muslim groups increased for a third year in a row, to 114 from 101 in 2016, the report said.

Last year brought “a substantial emboldening of the radical right, and that is largely due to the actions of President Trump, who’s tweeted out hate materials and made light of the threats to our society posed by hate groups,” Heidi Beirich, director of the SPLC’s Intelligence Project, told reporters.

Trump, who took office in January 2017, was elected in November of the previous year. The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The Southern Poverty Law Center, founded in 1971, defines hate groups as organizations with beliefs or practices that demonize a class of people.

In August, Trump came under fire for saying “both sides” were to blame for violence at a white supremacist rally in Virginia where a counter-protester was killed.

The Republican president was also criticized for a string of anti-immigrant and anti-Muslim comments, including using a vulgar term to describe Haiti and African countries last month.

In a backlash to Trump, the number of black nationalist groups such as the Nation of Islam increased by 20 percent last year, to 233, the non-profit’s report said. It added two male supremacy groups to its census for the first time.
    Related Video

A separate investigation by the group showed that people linked to the alt-right killed 43 people in the last four years, including 17 in 2017. The alt-right movement believes that white identity is under attack by multicultural forces.

The report identified 689 groups associated with the anti-government “Patriot” movement, with about 40 percent of them armed militias.

SPLC acknowledged that its report likely failed to capture the full extent of hate-group activity. It said many of them, especially from the alt-right, operate mainly online.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1G5286

Pretty sad stuff. What`s crazy is that people still defend this.
    I`m worried to see the numbers in a year`s time.

10+ Year Old Account
    They were always there, they just became more vocal with access to Trumps platform. What thoughtful and brave men fought to put down, this moron helped give rise to in a year.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    What was strange is that people were saying `we gotta give him a chance`as if he were suddenly gonna govern for all of us and not just his base.

10+ Year Old Account
    Already a thread on this.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    The US is going down the shitter fast under Trump. More news at 11.
    Yep, it's to the point where if something doesn't happen soon, the US will be the next Nazi Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    Yep, it's to the point where if something doesn't happen soon, the US will be the next Nazi Germany.
    What?? Hate crimes are bad, but the US is deffo not going the way of Nazi Germany. Unlike most European countries the institutions of the US are pretty robust and limit what anyone in power can do.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitten View Post
    What?? Hate crimes are bad, but the US is deffo not going the way of Nazi Germany. Unlike most European countries the institutions of the US are pretty robust and limit what anyone in power can do.
    No, they don't. The checks and balances no longer work when one "party" controls everything. The situation in the US right now is eerily mirroring the rise of Hitler, circa 1936. It's not to the point of no return YET but it's getting there very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    No, they don't. The checks and balances no longer work when one "party" controls everything. The situation in the US right now is eerily mirroring the rise of Hitler, circa 1936. It's not to the point of no return YET but it's getting there very quickly.
    Has Trump managed to implement his Muslim ban???

Has Trump managed to put a 50% tariff on all Chinese imports??

Has Trump managed to do any of the unconstitutional shit he said he would??

Checks and balances are working fine, the US is not Europe.

Well, he did implement a ban on some Muslim countries.

He did push some tariffs on Chinese products.

I give Trump a C- on the douchebag authoritarian scale.

Your system of checks and balances is straining at the seams right now, actually. You need serious constitutional reform.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennis View Post
    In August, Trump came under fire for saying “both sides” were to blame for violence
    The troublemakers in universities were to blame for the violence. People in the counter protest attacking cars were to blame for a person getting run over.

The Southern Poverty Law Center are a hate group.

Many Reuters articles can be classed as fake news.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffyman View Post
    People in the counter protest attacking cars were to blame for a person getting run over.
    So Mr Fantastic was at the rally?

Or would you like to explain how else a car could be under attack when it's two blocks away from the protesters?

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    You want to hear a paradox.

You say the US can never become a totalitarian regime because of its institutions and you are probably right, thus you do nothing.
    But that's because many men and women know the US can become totalitarian and fight it, and oppose it despite being called fake news or unpatriotic.
    So the fight of those people who understand democracy is not a given and can be defeated will somehow prove you right, that democracy will prevail, yet you did nothing.

Here is the paradox Even thought you're wrong, you will be proven right thanks to the fight of others.

The troublemakers in universities were to blame for the violence. People in the counter protest attacking cars were to blame for a person getting run over.

The bold didn't happen until the douche in the car was already driving over people. That is why when he was apprehended he was charged with 2nd degree murder, then had it upgraded to 1st degree murder recently. So pushing a debunked conspiracy theory makes you ignorant.

The SPLC aren't a hate group, and Reuters is one of the best news sources around. Better than anything that you will ever use.

If you think that then you are experiencing a psychological break with reality, my friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    If you think that then you are experiencing a psychological break with reality, my friend.
    That logic sounds a whole lot like a certain someone's "no puppet, no puppet, you're the puppet"

EDIT -- in regards to calling SPLC a hate group itself because it calls out other hate groups.
    Forum badass alert:
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

Do you have any evidence to back up that claim? The investigators and video evidence seem to disagree with you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Do you have any evidence to back up that claim? The investigators and video evidence seem to disagree with you.
    From what I've seen it doesn't look like that. A car comes along then slows down then has people hitting it before it speeds up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post

EDIT -- in regards to calling SPLC a hate group itself because it calls out other hate groups.
    Maybe they were good at one point in time but they're not now.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    The SPLC aren't a hate group, and Reuters is one of the best news sources around.
    Not when you have Reuters fake news articles. If they were better there would have been more information in the article.

I had to go off and look at what these " male supremecy groups" were.

https://www.avoiceformen.com/a-voice...e-to-the-splc/

Back in March of 2012, Arthur Goldwag, writing for the SPLC blog, penned a piece on what he imagined to be misogynistic websites. It included A Voice for Men and a host of other websites, some no longer around, like Pierce Harlan’s False Rape Society, Bill Price’s The Spearhead and Ferdinand Bardamu’s, In Mala Fide. Others are still around, like Roosh V’s Return of Kings.

The article was all that was needed for leftist feminists to churn out the false rumor that the SPLC had designated these sites are hate groups. Despite the fact that the SPLC later issued a clarification stating that none of the groups were considered hate groups, the false narrative continued, with the help of propagandists like David Futrelle.
    But something has changed at the SPLC, because in the past couple of days they have announced, with some fanfare, that A Voice for Men and Return of Kings both have been judged by them to be hate groups and have been included on their list alongside the KKK, Stormfront, and other similar organizations.
    I take the SPLC manufactured crap about who I am what AVFM is about, and I treat it like what it is. Bullying.

The SPLC is trying to scare me into silence. Indeed, they are trying to scare all of us into silence. Mark Potak, absolute scumbag that he is, knows full well that left wing wackaloons out there have used his material to target people for violent action.

Oh, and by the way for those interested and not already in the know, the SPLC is as corrupt financially as it is ideologically. I could go into an exhaustive diatribe about that right now, but I will spare you. Instead, you can click here to get started. Pro-tip, though. Make a large pot of coffee first, you have an ungodly amount of reading to do.

Not when you have Reuters fake news articles. If they were better there would have been more information in the article.

Go ahead and link one of these so called Reuters fake articles. I will wait.

If your source is supposed to be that, then I have some sad news for you. It isn't helping you at all. https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/a-voice-for-men/

From what I've seen it doesn't look like that. A car comes along then slows down then has people hitting it before it speeds up.

Maybe they were good at one point in time but they're not now.

Maybe you should provide evidence to back up your claims. The investigators and all the videos disagree with you. He accelerated so fast the car he hit struck another car.

You are lying.