Poll: Which version should be used as a framework and why?

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

If Blizzard were to make a definitive version of WoW

Combining the best elements from each expansion and eliminating the worst elements

Which expansion should be used as a framework and why? (Not which expansion is best)

I think Vanilla would be the best framework as imo it only really needs updated class balance and a modern lick of paint (graphics/mechanics).
    Last edited by mmocd2ad2cb4e7; 2018-04-05 at 10:19 PM.

Cata...bring back those dungeons we had at launch.

Wrath. Best era for something for everyone to do. Casual and hardcore alike. Cleaned up the disaster that was TBC endgame and added accessibility in droves.
    Keep moving forward. - Walt Disney

5+ Year Old Account
    Vanilla, or BC, when the game still had a strong RPG element and stuff was noticeably harder, but rewarding, while at the same time being fairly more accessible than its predecessors (EQ and Ultima online come to mind).

10+ Year Old Account
    TBC..

It was the pinnacle of WoW, before the decline began..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

TBC was far better than WOLK. People vote for WOLK because they didnt play TBC.
    Things started going bad when they added CCs/Stuns/Bubles/DKs...

Quote Originally Posted by lummiuster View Post
    TBC was far better than WOLK. People vote for WOLK because they didnt play TBC.
    Things started going bad when they added CCs/Stuns/Bubles/DKs...
    I've played since Vanilla, and I vote for WotLK because the endgame structure of TBC sucked. There was some stuff that was good in TBC (druid EFF quest), but the way endgame was structured sucked.

Wrath hit the sweet spot for hard vs. accessible.
    Keep moving forward. - Walt Disney

Okay now hear me out, it's WOD alright? Because Passive gold is cool and I like having my own personal bank and auction house where I don't have look at other people's characters or ever deal with a stupid choo choo train or some shit. But it's got MOP classes/tuning, Allied races, MOP raids, and M+ but using Cata Dungeons.

Deleted
    tbc was all magic, and keepts some vanilla essence, the lore was good, gameplay was fresh and new, then, wotlk the only good thing was lore and dk, then went down till legion, then they fucked up forgetting lore again and making a console game and gimping dh to the death.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Wrath wasn’t just great for lore, it was amazing for pve and pvp.. the entire expac felt amazing

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by duannyboy View Post
    Combining the best elements from each expansion and eliminating the worst elements

Which expansion should be used as a framework and why?
    I'd like to see a nice clean version of vanilla with a very heavy mix of WoD and Legion and probably like (4) more mission tables. I think pet battles also need to be pushed a lot harder, probably lock a lot of PvE and PvP content behind them. We need more dailies also; repeatable stuff and by repeatable I mean the exact same quests every day. There shouldn't be any rep or rewards tied to dailies, we should just have to do them in order to unlock any other content we want to do that day. I think crafting is out of hand and we should probably reduce everything down to like one recipe. We need more transmogs and definitely a lot more hair cut options so that needs to be worked in as well. Some of this though should be through the cash shop and again should affect content, as in heavily gate it.

Current WoW still works on some level for me, I find it hard to find significantly better games of similar style. I would definitely say that Vanilla was the MMORPG Blizzard wanted to make, over the years they've altered their own vision to make it a game people with different circumstances will still pay to play.

10+ Year Old Account
    BC or Wrath. I prefer BC, but Wrath is when the game started becoming more accessible and alt friendly so for the majority of players probably that.

Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post
    Wrath wasn’t just great for lore, it was amazing for pve and pvp.. the entire expac felt amazing
    Ya for real, a lot of people remembering things that just weren't so. TBC was pretty terrible lorewise it was never even clear at the time why we were even in Outland, and gameplay wise...I enjoyed it quite a lot but the only time the game was more of a balance clusterfuck was Vanilla.

There was in all honestly very little people did not really enjoy about WOTLK. Except, Shadowmourne cheese in arena and that was only bad if you weren't able to get in on it.

I'd say the Burning Crusade. It was Wow at it's peak, the mechanics were tuned, attunements made raiding challenging and something to look forward to and strive towards, and it didn't have the simplicity that Wotlk started to get and Cata carried forward.

With some tweaks and additions from Legion and Mop, TBC would be the framework to make the best expansion. Also we'd get proper class talent trees again.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Talon8669 View Post
    I'd like to see a nice clean version of vanilla with a very heavy mix of WoD and Legion and probably like (4) more mission tables. I think pet battles also need to be pushed a lot harder, probably lock a lot of PvE and PvP content behind them. We need more dailies also; repeatable stuff and by repeatable I mean the exact same quests every day. There shouldn't be any rep or rewards tied to dailies, we should just have to do them in order to unlock any other content we want to do that day. I think crafting is out of hand and we should probably reduce everything down to like one recipe. We need more transmogs and definitely a lot more hair cut options so that needs to be worked in as well. Some of this though should be through the cash shop and again should affect content, as in heavily gate it.
    I see what you did there.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

Creative way of starting, a "X version of WoW was the bestest!" flame war.

Troll Score: 9/10

Personally, I think Legion is the best for a framework since it has level scaling tech and things like that. If you took WotLK (content/feel/accessibility), TBC (attunements, class diversity, CC, difficulty), and gave it Legion tech for questing, raids, heroics, etc.....you would have an awesome game. imho

TBC easily. The game has gradually lost all of its magic since then.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamer8585 View Post
    Creative way of starting, a "X version of WoW was the bestest!" flame war.

Troll Score: 9/10
    Was definitely not the intention, updated OP to reflect this.