Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's honestly hard to think of any bad teachers that I had growing up, at least until college. College is a different ball of wax since TA's practically teach some college classes, and the quality of those can vary from ok to really bad.

Had a teacher in third grade public school teach us Jewish culture and religion. Forced us to take tests about their traditions. Was sent home with a thick booklet that had to be done overnight.

Like what? Thought religion was supposed to stay the fuck out of public schools?

Not to mention my friends and I got in trouble for putting a kick me note on another one of our friends (who thought this was funny, mind you), and had to spend the whole day next day copying down pages from dictionairies as punishment, while the other kids got to watch a movie AND eat mcdonalds.
    Sounds like I'm bullshitting but I'm not. What a retarded punishment that was, lol

she actually went out of her way to stop off at mcdonalds and buy enough fastfood to feed fifteen kids just to spite four others that played a silly harmless prank on their own friend
    Last edited by Stardrift; 2018-04-17 at 01:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Spend 2 years at my first Highschool then moved and I can say both schools I despise my music and math teachers. Strict and unreasonable. Told them before hand that I got low blood pressure and that I need sweets if I get really dizzy, next thing I know my bag of jelly beans got toss in the trash because "respect my authority".
    Nobody likes you, everyone left you, they're all out without you havin fun.

Oh god, this is easy for me. This guy was one of those teachers that thought he was a pariah. He thought everything he did was teaching us life lessons and bestowing us his endless wisdom. This was my sixth grade teacher, and sixth grade happened to be the worst year of my school history.

1) He gave more homework than I ever had in high school saying he was "Preparing us for high school". I'm not even kidding. Some days I would go home at 3:00PM, immediately take my books out, and get done with all my homework around 8:00PM, only taking a break to watch Dragon Ball Z.

2) He would make us do extremely repetitive tasks. For example, he gave us 70 words a week to look up in the dictionary and we had to write out the entire definition. We were supposed to do 10 a day, including weekends. We could, of course, just cram all 70 in on a Sunday night if we wanted. This was "10% of our grade" as he said.

3) He made us do pointless things on our homework. For example, a science textbook question..We had to hand-write the question out of the book onto a piece of paper before we could answer the question. He graded us on neatness too, so people with bad handwriting had to write slower. Some of the questions were five to six sentences long, oftentimes explaining something before asking a question.

4) He gave us projects and graded us on things he didn't tell us about. For example, dark ages project. I worked my ass off on this amazing castle I made out of cardboard. It had a drawbridge with toy knights glued to it, an aluminum foil moat, and everything. I got a 60% because 40% of my grade came from information about the castle on a note card. He didn't tell us that. I just put what I did to make it, I had no idea the note card was supposed to be educational information. I wasn't able to make this up, or anything. Bam, failing grade for a four day project on a note card I could've fixed in five minutes.

5) I was bullied really bad in middle school (it stopped in high school, yay). This teacher gave us assigned seats in the lunch room, and the kid there would harass the living shit out of me. I would, at least once a month, freak the fuck out and start yelling and punching the table so hard my knuckles would bleed. He never moved me, he made me sit with that kid every day for the whole year. No, it did not make my skin thicker. In fact I feel a lot of my lack of self-esteem came from that for at least the next three years.

6) I was given 120 candy bars to sell for an optional field trip. I had 30 days to sell them all. I had 104 sold at the end of that 30 days, and he gave me detention for every day I didn't have them sold. Not kidding. My mom ended up buying the last 15.

7) He would literally yell at the top of his lungs at you, face red, if you didn't do your homework. He called us lazy a lot.

8) My grades were so bad in his class (even though I aced tests, just didn't do his BS homework a lot) that I was put in a special ed-type class when I "advanced" to 7th grade, which I was moved out of two weeks later when the teacher realized I didn't need to be there. 7th grade was much better for me.

Anyway, yeah. It was definitely a traumatic experience for me. Probably one of the worst years of my life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Better question is which do I consider decent or above. Most of mine were tenured and didn't give a shit about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    My kids routinely tell me I'm racist, sexist, whatever.

What makes me feel good is when I have a kid in my period one tell me that I pick on the boys then a kid in period 4 tell me I pick on the girls. Then they wonder why I start laughing, and I tell them that if one class thinks one thing and the other thinks the opposite, then I must be picking on everyone equally.

To be totally blunt, the only time I (that I know of) specifically treat a kid differently is when I know I have a difficult parent to deal with. If the parent is going to believe their child and attack me, I have to treat that kid with caution and give them a lot more rope. It usually also means that kid is going to suffer in the long run but you can't fix parents.

There are other times where I start to come down very hard on a specific student but that's because I view them as the instigator who is riling up the rest of the class. It's amazing what can happen if you get the one or two serious behavioral problems under control. You can't address every single thing that happens so you have to choose your battles. I (jokingly) think of it like Reinhardt - I don't have a lot of range but when people cross the line they feel like a ton of bricks fell on them.

- - - Updated - - -

I fundamentally don't understand teachers who expound on their views to students when they're not teaching something that requires it. It's not my job to share my political views with my students. If I were a parent I would be pissed that teachers were trying to sway my children towards their beliefs.

I view teaching as a privilege and pushing your views on students is abusing it.
    totally agree! its happen with my nephews and it takes a lot for me to not call the school, but not my job. If i had kids and a teacher pulled it i'd be livid. stick to facts hard facts no opinions.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

I've never had a bad teacher.

Im type 1 diabetic and i had a teacher refuse to let me go to the nurse during a test. i ended up blacking out from low blood sugar.

In third grade I had a pack of that Zebra gum. Gross stuff but cool when you're a kid. I was chewing a piece and my teacher made me spit it out so I got another one. When I got to the fourth piece of gum she made me spit it in her hand and then she put it in my hair. She was a great teacher. Definitely my favorite.
    There are a million fine looking women in this world but not all of them will bring you lasagna at work. Most of them will just cheat on you.

My 6th grade teacher was probably my least favorite looking back on it, because she was one of those that punished the entire class for the actions of one or two students when she knew they were the ones misbehaving. It did nothing to deter the bad kids though because they were just assholes that did whatever they wanted and sometimes went out of their way to get the rest of us punished because they knew how the teacher was. The rare times she wouldn't punish everyone, she punished anyone even remotely involved in whatever was going on. I remember one of the trouble makers once tied my friend's shoelaces together and my friend also got in trouble because he "was a part of it".

I had a few teachers in middle and high school that made you keep a folder of your work and organize it the way they thought was best and I absolutely hated it and it didn't help me at all. Because I went to a small school that was obsessed with sports though, they made the weekly folder checks a ridiculously large part of your grade so the idiot athletes had an easy way to keep their grades high enough so they could keep playing (since the work in the folder didn't have to be right, it just had to be organized the "right way").

Near the end of high school, I also had a teacher that was fairly young and thought he was one of the cool kids, so he would hang out with them and make fun of other students with them. Nobody had any respect for him though and those same popular kids would shit talk him behind his back all the time, they were just nice to him to his face so he would let them get away with stuff and he fell for it because he wanted to relive the glory days of high school. Even at the time I realized how much of a joke he was but looking back on it makes me realize just how pathetic he was, I almost feel bad for him now.

We had a teacher who stabbed himself and told the cops/news that "a Mexican did it" just to get attention. He got exposed later on down the road when he couldn't keep his crazy story straight, which somehow lead to students coming out about him molesting them and him getting fired.

That being said, I'd rather take a few more classes with him than with any teacher who says, "Is that a question or an answer?", after they ask you a question in front of the class and you answer without complete certainty.

Example
    Teacher: "Who invented the cotton gin?"
    Me: "uh.. Eli Whitney?"
    Teacher: "Is that a question or an answer?"

Fuck off with that shit. Sorry that I don't have the battle hardened confidence to bet my life on an answer that I'm giving about material that you just briefly taught me about like 20 minutes ago. Don't be a dick about it. Just tell me if I'm right or wrong.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

I forgot her name now, Mrs Mort or something like that. Anyway when I was real young (like 5-7 maybe?) I did something bad in school and misbehaved or something along those lines and the teacher took me upstairs where the older kids were, walked me into their classroom and had them lay out a table with plastic plates and knifes/forks while telling me they were going to eat me (whole class), and another teacher telling me that maybe if I apologized and said I was sorry they might forgive me and let me live.

The same teacher to another kid picked him up and put him in the bin because he had chewing gum stuck to his shoe, saying "chewing gum belongs in the bin"... You couldn't make this shit up, this was the early 1990s for you when they could still get away with this stuff. Anyway it wasn't long after that I told my mother about it and she moved me to another school... This was a highly rated school too, still is.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Everwake View Post
    He was a really nice guy and all the boys respected him, more than just about every other teacher in the school. I remember that you had to shower on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but if you took a voluntary shower on the other days, you'd get points. Once you had enough points, you could spend them to buy candy or leave class early. It didn't seem strange at the time, but we were 13 lol. Later on, someone found a camera he had drilled into the ceiling of the locker room and they quietly fired him (after he was arrested). Not sure where he is now.
    Hoooooly shit. And I thought it was bad when my JV basketball coach wouldn't stop slapping our asses in practice in the 90s, but I guess in comparison that was pretty mild!

My high school homeroom teacher. Man he was a real dick who openly flirts with high school girls. I was the class head and we had 4 sluts in the class. These 4 were always noisy and I would get into trouble because of their behavior. One day I told them to be quiet very firmly. One of them answered; who the fuck are you? I will get you down in 2 minutes, it just takes me to show a leg or to the homeroom teacher". To this day I still do not forget what she said. And really the next homeroom the teacher talked to me in a very bold way, asking me to behave and threatened. Good thing I had solid buddies. I was pretty pissed and moved to his table, my friends followed me and we encircled him. And asked him; tell us which leg she showed.

He was a spineless coward as we thought. Never had any problem after that. Bitches shut their mouths as well.

That was a pretty nice experience actually. I am resistant as fuck to sluts physical moves. They think they got me until they see the reality the next day.

Mine was my 2nd grade teacher, She was incompetent, mean and rude as hell. A comity was call by all the parents of that grade just to stop her.

10+ Year Old Account
    For my first school experience, almost everyone (except my cooking teacher). The first 6 years of my school (10 in total) had all bad teachers. Teachers who ignored bullies, teachers who weren't considerate, and teachers who claimed you were cheating in tests because you never did homework (and no, I didn't cheat). It was so shit that I ended up skipping school for 6 months of 6th grade, after that, I was transfered to a boarding school and EVERYTHING changed for the better.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    All of them. Teachers are a certain type of people that I really don't connect well with.

I don't know how it is in other countries, but the average teacher here:
    - Wears sandal with white- or thick wool socks and a generic looking sweater
    - Sips tea from a mug that he/she holds with two hands
    - Is extremely "soft" and prone to stress, almost always a doormat
    - Lacks energy / drive / motivation
    - Doesnt like change, always do things like they've been doing for 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    All of them. Teachers are a certain type of people that I really don't connect well with.

I don't know how it is in other countries, but the average teacher here:
    - Wears sandal with white- or thick wool socks and a generic looking sweater
    - Sips tea from a mug that he/she holds with two hands
    - Is extremely "soft" and prone to stress, almost always a doormat
    - Lacks energy / drive / motivation
    - Doesnt like change, always do things like they've been doing for 20 years.
    Dang. Around here we call those retirees, not teachers. My worst teacher was myself. I always thought I knew everything and it took time (my best teacher) to learn that I can be wrong, that others can be right, and that being wrong isn't bad if you learn from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    We have all had a bad teacher or two growing up. Thought it would be interesting to share stories of our worst teacher and what they did to earn that title in our book.

What are some of yours?
    I can't recall genuinely bad teachers, just a few who were pissed at me for visibly not putting effort into their subjects.

Though, of course, looking back, I see questionable behaviour we thought nothing of back then, like slaps upside the head. We actually liked the guy handing those out, because he was quite approachable, laughed a lot, kept making jokes... and well, he never hit hard anyway.

Had an English teacher that flirted with the students.