Page 1 of 13
... LastLast
    Deleted

Quitting Video Games for good

I've just quit video games for good. It wasn't an easy decision, because I truly love them. But they've just taken up way too much time in my life, to the point where even when I spent an hour or two in the evening playing, I feel like I should be doing something better. And there's always the temptation to just stay home and spend a whole day playing my favourite game at the time, and I give in way too often.

Any other people who feel the same way?

Nope. They'll remain my passion / hobby as long as they remain interesting. I'm completely fine with setting aside hours per week for that kind of entertainment.
    You were good, kid, real good. But as long as I'm around, you'll always be second best, see?
    ______________________________________________________________________________
    Oh, and no comment from Xe'ra about how the assault on the black temple was being led in part by the naaru. So was hatred corrupting A'dal's mind too, you pretentious windchime?
    - Volpethrope

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't really say I relate. Never really had problems staying in to play or it taking too much.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyalona View Post
    I've just quit video games for good. It wasn't an easy decision, because I truly love them. But they've just taken up way too much time in my life, to the point where even when I spent an hour or two in the evening playing, I feel like I should be doing something better. And there's always the temptation to just stay home and spend a whole day playing my favourite game at the time, and I give in way too often.

@Video Games

How do you feel about this?
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Deleted
    For me it's just something that became less and less interesting with the years.

I only periodically play games these days.

Deleted
    Nope.

You should learn to spend what you think is an appropriate amount of time playing games, rather than taking the rather extreme step of quitting computer games altogether.

If you're the type of person who can't handle something basic without losing your life to it, then yeah you shouldn't be doing it.

Good choice.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

See you at launch.

I use to feel that way but I found a good balance. I am too competitive to play games that take a lot of times I pick games that I can enjoy a few minutes at a time.

10+ Year Old Account
    No need to go to the extreme. That's just setting yourself up for failure imo and or will just make you miserable when you're going to miss one of your hobbies. I get the feeling though because games have taken a backseat in my life recently as well and I don't game nearly as much as I used to. Some days I'll spend an entire day if I have nothing going on but that's not very common. I'll spend maybe 1-2 hours regularly. Sometimes none at all but I could never give them up completely.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you feel you can't handle moderation, then stepping away might be a good idea. The question is, what will you replace it with? Video games are a form of entertainment. If you find you’re simply trading 2 hours of video games with 2 hours of tv or reading the internet, then you haven’t really changed much. If you find that in the end, you’re just swapping one form of entertainment with another, then maybe you can just vary the entertainment and play the occassional game.

Do more of what you like. That's all life is about.

There are definitely better hobbies. One thing I would be concerned with is the fact that you become obsessed with them in the first place when normally you would lose interest in them over time. That's not a good sign in my opinion.

I wish I would've spent all that time playing video games in doing something productive. I mean it was fun but I have my regrets. That's a lot of wasted time I could've applied toward completing my goals.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

sure if you can magicaly change the world in these 1-2 hours do it.
    you will end like the rest who sits down 1-2 hours listening to music or watchin tv
    a normal human needs to waste time.

oh and by the way, if you play games, you can get useful traits for da reallifethingy.
    I played a lot of flight sim games back then, it became my passion, i became a plane broker for Antonow, and now I´m livin the good life.
    playin more games, this time in my own house i bought with cash.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Emeraldon View Post
    Nope. They'll remain my passion / hobby as long as they remain interesting. I'm completely fine with setting aside hours per week for that kind of entertainment.
    I totally get that. It's the same thing for me. That's exactly why I have to quit. I'm way too passionate about it and way too willing to sacrifice time for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Drayiicha View Post
    Nope.

You should learn to spend what you think is an appropriate amount of time playing games, rather than taking the rather extreme step of quitting computer games altogether.
    That's the point. I'd say the appropriate amount is 0.

Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If you're the type of person who can't handle something basic without losing your life to it, then yeah you shouldn't be doing it.

Good choice.
    Like I said, even spending an hour or two on it seems like I'm neglecting more important things. And let's face it, if you're playing games like WoW or FF14, there's no way you're gonna get anywhere by just spending an hour per day playing.

10+ Year Old Account
    What a bunch of nonsense.. Spending time doing something you enjoy is not wasted time.

Doing something better? Like what.

Not at all. The problem I often face is different. I often find that I don't have the energy to game as much as I would like. On work days in the past, I used to be able to come home from my shift and game for hours on end. These days I often find that I am too exhausted to play for more than a few minutes. Getting old sucks.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    For me it's just something that became less and less interesting with the years.

I only periodically play games these days.
    This.

I can jump into a game and some games still do take a lot of my time, but weeks can go by without playing a game for longer than say, 1h.
    I mostly prefer to stick to games that are "easy in, easy out" like Rocket League and Town of Salem. Or MOBAs, but I hate MOBAs as I get really pissed off in competitive gaming.
    Games like WoW that take a lot of time is something that I find harder and harder to get into.
    The last game that actually got a lot of my time was Mass Effect: Andromeda. Even though it got abyssmal reviews, I loved the game. But I am a sucker for everything deep space sci-fi, movies, books, video games.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PaterMDx View Post
    sure if you can magicaly change the world in these 1-2 hours do it.
    Who is talking about changing the world?

you will end like the rest who sits down 1-2 hours listening to music or watchin tv
    I don't watch TV anymore. And I don't see anything bad about music. It's probably the most amazing thing in the world.

a normal human needs to waste time.
    Depends on what you call wasting time. Even if so, then it's still best to eliminate as many time wasters as possible.

oh and by the way, if you play games, you can get useful traits for da reallifethingy.
    I played a lot of flight sim games back then, it became my passion, i became a plane broker for Antonow, and now I´m livin the good life.
    playin more games, this time in my own house i bought with cash.
    Is it because of video games that you became a plane broker? Or would that have happened anyway?

Either way video games can teach you something, whether it's skills you learn or knowledge you acquire, but ask yourself honestly how much time playing videogames actually contributes to learning those skill, and how much time just goes into repetitive tasks that teach you nothing?