Thread: Used GPUs

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Used GPUs

Since crypto mining is failing and people are dumping used GTX1060 / 1070TI's and selling them for half the price is it worth considering getting them or should I be worried purchasing used product?
    Currently I can get brand new 1070 ti for $599 AUD or used for roughly $350

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by begemoc View Post
    Since crypto mining is failing and people are dumping used GTX1060 / 1070TI's and selling them for half the price is it worth considering getting them or should I be worried purchasing used product?
    Currently I can get brand new 1070 ti for $599 AUD or used for roughly $350
    Never buy a card used for mining. If it's simply used for gaming, not overclocked and warranty is intact, it's safe to buy.

Mining cards = no.

you should be able to find a deal for 4-450 for a new 1070 ti if you have some patience in the next few weeks. Supply will probably dry out after that so prices may not drop much lower before going out of stock.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyrican View Post
    you should be able to find a deal for 4-450 for a new 1070 ti if you have some patience in the next few weeks. Supply will probably dry out after that so prices may not drop much lower before going out of stock.
    400-450 USD or AUD?

Quote Originally Posted by Lundh View Post
    Never buy a card used for mining. If it's simply used for gaming, not overclocked and warranty is intact, it's safe to buy.

Mining cards = no.
    I agree but for a different reason. Let the miners who drove up the price of cards eat their cards for all I'm concerned. Trying to get rich and messing up the cost of cards!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lundh View Post

Mining cards = no.
    A card heating up and cooling off constantly (gaming) does more harm than a card being ran at a constant temperature for long periods of time (mining).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo X View Post
    A card heating up and cooling off constantly (gaming) does more harm than a card being ran at a constant temperature for long periods of time (mining).
    This might be true but is not the reason why one should avoid mining cards. Electronics are not likely to fail in either case, cooling hardware on the other hand just might - nothing more annoying than buying card which fan will rattle withing 2 months of purchase. Mining cards put way more stress on the cooling since its maxed out all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by larix View Post
    This might be true but is not the reason why one should avoid mining cards. Electronics are not likely to fail in either case, cooling hardware on the other hand just might - nothing more annoying than buying card which fan will rattle withing 2 months of purchase. Mining cards put way more stress on the cooling since its maxed out all the time.
    Replacing a fan is pretty cheap and easy and I'd say if buying a mining card its the first thing you should do. If you can get a new cooler and mining card cheaper than a gaming card then I would. Absolutely.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've had problems with brand new cards and noisy fans. The solution is to just put some bearing grease into the fan bearing and enjoy a longer lasting and less noisy fan. That's what I did for my Sapphire RX 480 fans, cause they were noisy as hell. Not an easy 1,2,3 job.

If used graphic cards come with the original receipt to keep the warranty, I don't see a reason why not to.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    I've had problems with brand new cards and noisy fans. The solution is to just put some bearing grease into the fan bearing and enjoy a longer lasting and less noisy fan. That's what I did for my Sapphire RX 480 fans, cause they were noisy as hell. Not an easy 1,2,3 job.

If used graphic cards come with the original receipt to keep the warranty, I don't see a reason why not to.
    Some damage can't be repaired with grease though. if you have busted bearing or worse yet bearing socket grease won't do much good. If the card is under warranty sure, but i would not take one that has limited time left on the warranty or it already ran out of it.

I wouldnt buy gaming-grade used GPU unless it's still on warranty. Why? Well, most failures in a videocard will lead to a dead GPU, making the card essentially worthless.
    Last edited by Thunderball; 2018-09-12 at 05:18 PM.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    Some damage can't be repaired with grease though. if you have busted bearing or worse yet bearing socket grease won't do much good. If the card is under warranty sure, but i would not take one that has limited time left on the warranty or it already ran out of it.
    The fan is the least of my worries. If you depend on the fan to last the life of the card, then you'll find a lot of disappoint there. I have contingencies for such an occasion. Originally I was going to put my old GPU water block onto it, but seeing how well the cooling fan was doing I avoided that for now. I could also just buy the fans on Ebay for $30, or buy an after cooler like the ARCTIC Accelero Mono Plus, which I would need a VRM cooler to go along with it.

Don't be afraid to replace a fan on a device. My power supply fan started to make a terrible noise a year ago, and recently I decided to replace the fan instead of the PSU. Don't hear a thing coming out of it now.

10+ Year Old Account
    For me a used one would have to cost peanuts. People want too much for their used stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    I bought a used 1080 for $339 and it was in damn near new condition and still had two years on its warranty. Just try to find deals like that or better and you'll be golden!