Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Why is WW so underpresented in high M+?

Hey guys,

everytime i have a WW (random) in my M+ group, he absolutely shreds the damagemeter. Additionally, WW got a shitload of wonderful support skills, RoP alone i would kill for.

What is the reason that (especially in high keys) i rarely see one of those?
    Last edited by iddqd; 2019-02-01 at 07:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have never been with a MM in M+ groups, so... I wouldn't know :P But they're surely not much played..

10+ Year Old Account
    Because melee spots are at a premium and most groups aren't going to take a WW if they could have something like a rogue or demon hunter instead. One of the bigger problems is Monk's overall utility is pretty lacking. You mentioned Ring of Peace. While it's a good spell, there are already plenty of other ways to stun, knockback, or slow a group of targets so it's not a very good reason to bring a WW. On the other hand, rogues have Shroud of Concealment, which is 100% unique to them and one of the single best abilities for pushing high level keys. Even Mystic Touch isn't a good reason to bring a WW when BrM and MW can do it too should the group happen to have one of those. Even DPS isn't a very good reason to take a WW because demon hunter and rogue can do more damage, arguably with less effort.

The long and the short of it is Windwalker isn't bad, there are just better options out there if you're in a position to make a choice. And most players are going to be very particular about their comp when pushing higher keys.

It usually comes down to what unique thing a class/spec can bring to M+. In the case of WW, they bring as much or less to the table as BrM and MW monks. Only thing really unique is the physical damage debuff and maybe RoP, but every monk brings that or is capable of bringing it. This is even before personal DPS becomes a factor.

Usually the top represented specs (especially for DPS) bring something pretty unique to the table, or they mesh well with the unique-bearing specs. WW monks really don't bring anything like that.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Unfortunately it is because they don't bring anything to the table that is worth dropping a rogue or a DH for.

I'd say it's simply statistic issue. Monk is the least played class and WW is the least played spec of monk.
    We are just too little to have a big representation.

Adding my 2 cents, it's not only about rogue & DH both being better options. Rogue can only DPS and DH tanks are bad for higher M+. Meanwhile, BrM and MW are both in good spots. That causes most monk players (as opposed to single spec players) to take the easier spec to push high M+. The only people that limit themselves to a single spec instead of optimizing probably aren't doing 15+ keys anyways. See that all the time in class forums when one dps spec outperforms the other but people refusing to change spec within the class because they're an unholy DK and refuse Frost or vice versa.

They aret common because dh and rogue do it better, Both classes have an equal amount of utility compared to WW and Dh have the 5% magic buff, which normally compliments the range better as melle spots are said above are a premium, the self healing from dh also is higher and rogue can ignore several mechanics with cloak. WW also takes a higher skill curve so youll find less people play them!
    Last edited by Tyrilion; 2019-02-01 at 03:12 PM.

I've played a rogue main since vanilla and currently main a WW monk for guild raids etc. I run both of them through keys but honestly not much higher than 12s and I gotta say I feel more useful on the monk. Shroud is great, picking locks in TD can't be beat and I'm at home on the rogue. The monk does more damage for me in m+ with good CD timing. RoP is overall probably more useful than shroud. My interrupts are more readily available. I have Detox, Vivify and can rez. Downside is I have to play better not having vanish, cloak and feint to cover my oops moments.

I've never paid attention to class popularity or gone fotm. I made a rogue when i started playing because the game didn't have monks. Started again in Legion and eventuallly gave the monk a shot and overall its fun. If you're not having fun then what's the point?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not that WW is bad at M+, it's that there are other specs that do what they do better.

They're fine if you're doing +10s (as is every spec in the game), but once you get into the top end pushing 18+ keys, groups start to min/max their comps and WWs don't really fit in that equation.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Because even years later, blizzard still can't design for melee classes and punishes you for bringing them. Which makes sense to nobody. The fix is so easy it's ridiculous. Simply make non dodge able ability able to hit from melee and ranged. And make dodge-able abilities target melee and ranged so they both have to occasionally gtfo.

But noooo let's make pbaoe spells the number 1 dungeon mechanic..

Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    It's not that WW is bad at M+, it's that there are other specs that do what they do better.

They're fine if you're doing +10s (as is every spec in the game), but once you get into the top end pushing 18+ keys, groups start to min/max their comps and WWs don't really fit in that equation.
    That's also a thing with +10 (and lower) and generally with all kinds of pugs in this game. It's not just the top end players that are always min/maxing, but others do it too to have an easier time at doing whatever content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    That's also a thing with +10 (and lower) and generally with all kinds of pugs in this game. It's not just the top end players that are always min/maxing, but others do it too to have an easier time at doing whatever content.
    I don't know what that's like as a DPS, I haven't been a DPS main since literally Molten Core raiding.

Been only tank and healer main since then and never really had an issue finding groups. Tank main now with 1600 rating and can pretty much get into any +15 with no issue. I'm actually surprised if I ever get declined on a 15 or lower pug that's LF a tank.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    I don't know what that's like as a DPS, I haven't been a DPS main since literally Molten Core raiding.

Been only tank and healer main since then and never really had an issue finding groups. Tank main now with 1600 rating and can pretty much get into any +15 with no issue. I'm actually surprised if I ever get declined on a 15 or lower pug that's LF a tank.
    Yeah as a healer or tank that's never an issue, but if you're a DPS then people do often care about the classes. They see that the pros take a rogue and a DH as melees and that's what they'll also do, even if they don't know the exact reasons why, except that the dungeon is gonna be easier with these.

One extreme example might be the early days of Legion where warlocks where considered to be trash and I remember a few groups where players would just decline warlocks with high ilvl even though we were only doing like +5 or +6.

Monks are underrepresented and MW is arguably their best group spec, but ultimately it comes down to an overabundance of Melee and the complete cluster f@$* of class balance that is Mythic +

Rogue/DH are the best Melee specs by far for pushing high keys and that, of course, filters down to lower keys because reasons.

Community perception is that you're two melee must be Outlaw Rogue and Havoc DH, and then you'll want either an Ele Shaman, Frost Mage, or Boomkin. Those would be your best dps classes to bring to a group that was pushing high keys, however the vast majority of the player base doesn't push keys high enough to the point where their comp matters so much as their skill does. So it's really just the community looking at the top ranks and then claiming that anything other than what places in the top 20 or so isn't viable.

For a time trial environment, 2x Outlaw Rogue and either a WW Monk or Unholy DK is gonna shine more so than any of the other melee specs. So WW definitely has it's place, and probably will in the MDI finals.

Then ask yourself this. If people are gunning through an 18 Atal in 15 minutes, do you think you could hit 29:59 with a WW monk? I think so. But the vast majority of the player base isn't good enough to make anything other than the cookie cutter classes work.
    Last edited by NickCageFanatic; 2019-03-26 at 03:27 AM.
    "Do fish have dreams?" - Nick Cage
    The Cage!! In his most primal form!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinte View Post
    Unfortunately it is because they don't bring anything to the table that is worth dropping a rogue or a DH for.
    I would think the passive group movement speed alone would make people be lining up to have a WW monk in a timed dungeon.

I'm still stuck on 30+ lvl, can you give some advices on further lvl-up?

Because Monk is hands down the worst class introduced in this game.

SJWs will play or watch anything that they find culturally arousing. Take Demon Hunter for example, it's a shitty class that copied Warlocks and Rogues, and the only reason why it even became popular was because SJWs got turned on by WC3 nostalgia. The same goes for Monks. If SJWs weren't shown this shit, Monks wouldn't even be popular.

I love my monk in m+
    I did under rot recently and the healer loved me for cleansing lol

Reaping is so fun with RoP because I can save my tank

Honestly like the others say though the problem is we aren't gods of utility... just demi gods

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Philosophical Launderer View Post
    Because Monk is hands down the worst class introduced in this game.

SJWs will play or watch anything that they find culturally arousing. Take Demon Hunter for example, it's a shitty class that copied Warlocks and Rogues, and the only reason why it even became popular was because SJWs got turned on by WC3 nostalgia. The same goes for Monks. If SJWs weren't shown this shit, Monks wouldn't even be popular.
    The fuck does sjw have to do with monks lol

Someone is just mad because we get all the cool abilities ������