Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyriani View Post
    "other adventurers with the echo" as far as your story is concerned.
    Sounds like they're doing exactly what I said. Those other players are indeed "the Warrior of Light" in their own little world as well, except there is no "your own little world" in an MMO truly. The story can play it off that way, but it will never be true. I don't like games I have to suspend disbelief. This isn't DND where I have to use my imagination. This is a real video game where the world is actually as they show it to me. When your game tries to ignore that, it rubs me the wrong way. Again, those other players are the warrior of light, same as you.

Those other players are indeed "the Warrior of Light" in their own little world as well
    Except they're explicitly not.

You haven't even played it yet you're arguing against people telling you exactly what the story is lol.

Again, those other players are the warrior of light, same as you.
    Its a special kind of arrogant to not even know what the story is and repeatedly assert your false opinion is correct.

The sad part is you have no idea what you missed out on.

Grats, you jumped to max level a la WOW. Now you have no idea what the hell is going on or why. You probs skipped all of Stormblood as well, pity, you didnt meet Ardbert, who has a huge role to play in Shadowbringers. You didnt meet a certain person the day you got to the First the very same man you met when you arrived in ARR...and what happened after.

You didnt learn what the Warriors of Darkness became or why......the story in Shadowbringers is fantastic and heartrending..and most of all, you now have no idea who or what the Asciians are..or why.

Your loss.
    Last edited by Aehl; 2019-08-05 at 02:27 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

>Also commenting on a long as fuck story you skipped nearly entirely.

It's like watching the last Lord of the Rings movie and getting angry that you don't know why the fuck there are 2 small People in a Volcano.
    Last edited by Super Kami Dende; 2019-08-05 at 02:29 AM.

I bought the full skip, all the way to recent xpac and boosted.
    And now you will whine you have nothing to do..

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshingo View Post
    Its a special kind of arrogant to not even know what the story is and repeatedly assert your false opinion is correct.
    So, in their own little world... as the story is being told to them... all those other people are not being told "you're the warrior of light! the rest of these people (other players) are just special!"

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satella View Post
    On the other hand, people like me, who didn't play any Final Fantasy games when they were young, are experiencing the game as it is truly presented to us as adults, as a franchise created for children.
    Ahh yes, all those great Children Stories based on Politics, Genocide, Religion and the Good and Evil of Man.

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    So, in their own little world... as the story is being told to them... all those other people are not being told "you're the warrior of light! the rest of these people (other players) are just special!"
    Using this assbackward logic, literally every single game that tells a story fails then because you can't be Hawke from Dragon Age 2 if I'm playing it myself!

THE STORY IS LYING TO ME!

Again, stop speaking on things you're 100% ignorant about especially when people are literally telling you straight up that you're wrong and the story does address it.

Until then I'll do what I should have and just ignored somebody who hasn't played a game and is pretending to speak authoritatively on it.

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    Sounds like they're doing exactly what I said. Those other players are indeed "the Warrior of Light" in their own little world as well, except there is no "your own little world" in an MMO truly. The story can play it off that way, but it will never be true. I don't like games I have to suspend disbelief. This isn't DND where I have to use my imagination. This is a real video game where the world is actually as they show it to me. When your game tries to ignore that, it rubs me the wrong way. Again, those other players are the warrior of light, same as you.
    If you don’t like games where you have to suspend your belief then you must not like very many games. The vast majority of games require it, given the story being told and the mechanics of video games don’t work in real life.

Not sure how you can claim you like other fantasy games like Witcher 3, filled with things that don’t exist in real life, with pretty standard fantasy video game mechanics (health bar, armor rating, stats that affect combat, etc...) but you don’t like MMOs because you have to suspend your disbelief.

You can just say you don’t like the story, but don’t try to come up with some bullshit excuse like this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    Ahh yes, all those great Children Stories based on Politics, Genocide, Religion and the Good and Evil of Man.
    Example:

Theres a scene, just after the Warrior meets up with Alisae, that made my blood run ice cold. Terrifying. Agonising. A scene and theme that is NOT meant for children..a scene in which I, as a gamer, watched with absolute horror and grief.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    I don't understand why everyone is riding stormbloods dick for the story. It's like no one has ever played anything other than the disjointed trash in WoW.

FF14 MSQ is like a 5 at best, it can be interesting at times, but 99% of the time it's boring and no different than a random side quest lol. It's even extremely formulaic and repetitive like a side quest, unlike GW2 where huge events and fights are happening all through out, not saying that games story isn't shit but it feels like a story at least.

ESO sidequests have better story

It's just really baffling me because I'm still waiting for it to get good or exciting at 78 and 1 zones left.

So far I've only enjoyed the instances, obviously the games strong point, but everywhere I look online it's all about stormbloods story...

I guess I've been spoiled after playing everything , but this shit is childs play. Maybe it's the oldschool presentation and this game is really restrictive engine so there can't be exciting stuff going on. FF14 is decent but I think this games community defends it a little much and not honestly.
    You managed to stick with it a lot longer than I did. All I ever heard from people was how amazing the story was. By the time I was level 30, I was already sick of it. The MSQ is mandatory, which just seemed to mean that they had to make fuckloads of terrible fetch-quests "main story" quests. Story and RPG stuff is what I play games for, and while the latter stuff was fine in FF14, even if the combat was repetitive and slow, the story was abysmal for the most part. And at least, based on your post, I didn't make a mistake in tapping out early, rather than trying to stick it out. A bunch of my friends seem to like it, but they're all anime fans, so maybe they see something I just don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post

Oh, so you've read Harry Potter?

Hahaha....

oh great, someone who thinks Harry Potter is clearly meant for children alone. I guess that's why it's so popular among adults (and no, I don't like it myself - but that doesn't matter).

On what kind of trip is your wrecked mind currently on and how are you trying to make a point with that statment?

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    I mean, it's all opinions but you're pretty much in the minority. Not just the players but reviewers are applauding the story soooooo SE got it right /shrug

I hate the witcher 3, does it make it not a good game or a good story? no, just wasn't my cup of tea.
    you enjoyed final fantasy quests but not Witcher 3 yikes man

I didnt like the story but i only played until MSQ 58. There are just too many cutscenes that break the flow of actually playing the game and i am super impatient. doesnt help that people talk to my character but all he does is nod and maybe select a few dialoges which are not voices.

music is great but the combat is even worse than wow

There's a very profound difference between a "children" book" and a "young adult" novel in both language and content.

You sound ridiculous and uneducated, or at least horribly inexperienced and naive, trying to argue this angle.

Well this thread continues to be a disappointment.

Some of you guys should learn the difference between a bad story and your personal dislike for a story. Hell, most of you haven't even played through the complete story so I don't really know how you could actually know if the story is good or not. The few people that appear to have played it aren't really presenting objective arguments/reasons for why they think the story isn't good.

I don't care if you don't like the story, that's fine, but it seems like you're basically just here blog or to look for a few wayward souls to help confirm your subjective biases. You're not really gonna change anyone's mind or convince them that your opinion is worthwhile like that.

The few people that appear to have played it aren't really presenting objective arguments/reasons for why they think the story isn't good.
    Yup it just comes off as a giant flamebait troll thread.

The reason they can't present objective arguments is because they haven't fucking played it. By and large they freely admit to not even doing most of the story, instead just skipping it and then wondering why people think it's so good.

There's no point in arguing against somebody like that. It should just be pointed out for other people and then dismissed like the ignorant whining it comes off as.
    Last edited by Yoshingo; 2019-08-05 at 04:00 PM.

I didn’t really enjoy the story. Too weeb for me, but gameplay made up for it for me! I am having too much fun with the gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    I don't understand why everyone is riding stormbloods dick for the story. It's like no one has ever played anything other than the disjointed trash in WoW.

FF14 MSQ is like a 5 at best, it can be interesting at times, but 99% of the time it's boring and no different than a random side quest lol. It's even extremely formulaic and repetitive like a side quest, unlike GW2 where huge events and fights are happening all through out, not saying that games story isn't shit but it feels like a story at least.

ESO sidequests have better story

It's just really baffling me because I'm still waiting for it to get good or exciting at 78 and 1 zones left.

So far I've only enjoyed the instances, obviously the games strong point, but everywhere I look online it's all about stormbloods story...

I guess I've been spoiled after playing everything , but this shit is childs play. Maybe it's the oldschool presentation and this game is really restrictive engine so there can't be exciting stuff going on. FF14 is decent but I think this games community defends it a little much and not honestly.
    Not sure if it was a typo, but the Story is kinda "meh" at best and recognized as such by most people up until Shadowbringers. Stormblood was not that great to me and the oversaturation of eastern themes got old rather quickly in Stormblood.

Biggest issue for me is the MSQ has a lot of filler stuff that exists just to have something and doesn't feel like it's telling a story at all. Just long grindy MSQ 'stuff' occasionally interspersed with some storytelling. Shadowbringers did it a lot better and genuinely feel Shadowbringers may be one of the best if not best story I've seen told in a MMORPG.
    Last edited by Vlaid; 2019-08-05 at 04:12 PM.