Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

How did the alliance suddenly lose so many?

Right before Azshara, the Alliance were crushing it and were weeks from winning the war.

During the setup for Siege of Orgrimmar 2.0, Anduin says it's their last troops.

Am I missing something? What happened?
    Did the battle against Azshara dwindle all their numbers or what?

Nah the Alliance just up and somehow lost most of their forces somewhere off screen before Dazar'alor. The writers weren't concerned with a consistent war story, they just wanted a cheap framing device to show their character dramas against.

Quote Originally Posted by Niroshi View Post
    Nah the Alliance just up and somehow lost most of their forces somewhere off screen before Dazar'alor. The writers weren't concerned with a consistent war story, they just wanted a cheap framing device to show their character dramas against.
    This is true. Even in that cinematic where Anduin releases Saurfang from the Stockades they act like their army is gone. We never actually see the army being beaten or destroyed, but we're constantly told that they're running out of troops.

Oh well, it is what it is.

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Maybe Alliance military tactics consist of trying to drown the Horde in Alliance soldier's blood or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

I mean Azshara did destroy most of the Kul'tiran fleet. It's hard to say how many survived that, but given I only saw about the same # of Alliance and Horde npcs playing through their questlines, and the Horde only brought the ONE boat...

I also got the impression from the 8.2.5 cutscene that in the interrim we don't see of them gathering in Dustwallow Marsh, the Alliance had been significantly supplying forces to the rebels while they were forming a significant fighting force. "How many can you provide?" I took to mean he had asked this a few times while the rebellion gained steam.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2019-10-09 at 04:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Our forces are split.

We lost a lot in the various sieges and Tyrande ran off with the Night Elves and the Worgen to Darkshore.

7+ Year Old Account
    prob because he is implying that he only had that to bring to orgrimmar, since the night elves and worgens kinda moved their forces.

this or just blizzard flip-flopping with their lore changing every cinematic for the rule of cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathknightish View Post
    If I had to guess, Azshara probably greatly diminished the Alliance forces right before 8.2 began so that the war would continue on and neither side would notice Azshara releasing N'zoth when they're too focused on each other. If the Alliance won then the fighting would stop.

In game events rarely demonstrate the true scope of actual canon lore. The cgi cinematics would take precedence over anything we as players take part in..including quests and raids. Those are gameplay functions and not always representative of actual lore. We saw a few ships fall into Nazjatar but in reality the bulk of both fleets were there.

Also the books and short stories carry more weight than what we see in game. As players we see Sylvanas having trouble with Malfurion but in the book she was knocking him around and having much more success.

Majority of the Alliance fleet was lost to Azshara when chasing down the remnants of the Horde, combine that the forces Anduin sent to Thunder Bluff and the forces that would have followed Tyrande, There wasn't much left

You do realize it was AFTER Dazar'alor but before Azshara that the Alliance were winning, right? Not before. If you're going to try to slam writers at least try to not be blatantly wrong.

Reminds me of a line I saw somewhere on these very forums.

"The Alliance: routinely snatching defeat from the jaws of victory."

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I mean Azshara did destroy most of the Kul'tiran fleet. It's hard to say how many survived that, but given I only saw about the same # of Alliance and Horde npcs playing through their questlines, and the Horde only brought the ONE boat...

I also got the impression from the 8.2.5 cutscene that in the interrim we don't see of them gathering in Dustwallow Marsh, the Alliance had been significantly supplying forces to the rebels while they were forming a significant fighting force. "How many can you provide?" I took to mean he had asked this a few times while the rebellion gained steam.
    Before Azshara, the Alliance was winning on every front. All the fronts in the war are on the land. So even if Azshara destroyed a huge portion of the Alliance fleet, why should it have impacted the Alliance's war effort in said land warfronts like Arathi and Darkshore? I mean, the Alliance was winning on every front (as reports from every Horde outpost said), and they didn't need their fleet to win ON LAND. So them losing their fleet shouldn't have magically increased the size of the Horde army while at the same time drastically handicapping the Alliance. Plotholes, plotholes, and even more plotholes. That's what BfA is.
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2019-10-09 at 05:22 AM.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Honestly, I was under the impression they lost a lot in Undercity. I don't even know how they had as many left as they did in Dazaralor, let alone during nazjatar.

Right before Azshara, the Alliance were crushing it and were weeks from winning the war.

During the setup for Siege of Orgrimmar 2.0, Anduin says it's their last troops.

Alliance is not the centre of the story, alliance are supporting role for the horde. Maybe one day it will shift back to them, or one day become equal, but that day is not today.

The plot said they did so screw consistency.

Their navy was decimated in Nazjatar, their army was down to conscripted farmers during the events of 2nd cinematic. Most of the Night Elven population was wiped out at Telderasil. What do you expect to be left?

The Alliance also didn't gain much of a huge population via an allied race. Void Elves, Lightforged, and Dark Iron Dwarves are few in numbers, only Kul'Tiras had a substantial population. The Horde allied races came with much larger populations, and as a result larger armies, which put the Alliance at a numeric disadvantage.

So yeah, not really sure why anybody would be confused by the massive Alliance military losses. It's one of the few things Blizzard has remained oddly consistent in.

Frost Blood Elf Death Knight - Zul'jin

Attrition - by far the largest source of casualties, and remember all the troops in the two warfronts etc, the battle at Undercity, the skirmishes with invasions etc.

So just because we don't see every soldier's death - doesn't mean they didn't happen.... just like real war.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

They lost their whole navy chasing those three horde boats in Nazjatar or something, which was also most of their troops. So they needed a part of the horde and the full alliance to attack a part of the horde.

The thing is; they probably didn't. They just stopped putting all their forces into these assaults after what happened at Nordrassil in 8.0.