View Poll Results: Is this offensive to say?

Voters
91. This poll is closed
  • No it’s not offensive at all

31 34.07%
  • Yes it’s very offensive

4 4.40%
  • Ok Boomer

56 61.54%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Yeah that's true...I guess it's closer to dismissing someone's opinion simply because they are a millennial.

"Your opinion doesn't matter because you're just another X"
    I see it more used in situations based on how someone thinks, or doesn't think. Than based on age.
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981
    I don't believe in observational proof because I have arrived at the conclusion that such a thing doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by wheresmywoft View Post
    I see it more used in situations based on how someone thinks, or doesn't think. Than based on age.
    That's usually how "millennial" is used too. Most of the time it isn't even describing actual millennials.

As with most descriptors it's used to dismiss and stifle discussion... what specific words you use doesn't really matter for that.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Isn’t this the equivalent of calling a millennial a snowflake all the time?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarfhamster View Post
    Isn’t this the equivalent of calling a millennial a snowflake all the time?
    no, it's equivalent of "OK retard", but the retard is boomer

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It isn't even as bad as that.

"Boomer" is just a generational descriptor. It has no direct negatives, other than by association with that generation. "Snowflake" is deliberately insulting, but "Boomer" just means you're born between '46 and '64.
    It's insulting someone based on their age, so it is ageist, so it is definitely worse than snowflake, which can be applied to anyone. Don't get me wrong, it's not a devastating or foul "slur," just let's not be disingenuous about what it is. Suggesting it just has to do with a particular generation is just trying to muddy the water.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    That's usually how "millennial" is used too. Most of the time it isn't even describing actual millennials.
    Anecdotally, that is not how I've seen millennial be used. The person using the term typically doesn't talk enough for them to know the thoughts of the subject. The usual 'just work harder' type comments.
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981
    I don't believe in observational proof because I have arrived at the conclusion that such a thing doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by wheresmywoft View Post
    Anecdotally, that is not how I've seen millennial be used. The person using the term typically doesn't talk enough for them to know the thoughts of the subject. The usual 'just work harder' type comments.
    I've seen the word used to describe pretty much anyone under the age of 30

Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    It's insulting someone based on their age, so it is ageist, so it is definitely worse than snowflake, which can be applied to anyone. Don't get me wrong, it's not a devastating or foul "slur," just let's not be disingenuous about what it is. Suggesting it just has to do with a particular generation is just trying to muddy the water.
    Constant attacks on millennials and calling them snowflakes=ok
    1 meme mocking Boomers= OMG IT'S LIKE THE N WORD!

Maybe we're just finding out that it's really Boomers who are the snowflakes.

Boomers have been shitting on Millennials for years. Now someone makes up a meme disparaging Boomers, and we're supposed to be sympathetic?

That's a tall glass of nope.

Funny, I just posted this in another thread. Apparently it's being misused and this is the correct definition. :P

"ok boomer" doesn't mean "ok person born between 1946 and 1964"

It means, "ok person born into uniquely prosperous circumstances built on the backs of colonialism, slavery, and white supremacy, who believes that this prosperity was not only normal, but legitimately earned... and who is doing everything in their power to dismiss and disempower those not born into similar circumstances, for fear of even slightly encroaching on the immense privilege that they've ONLY used to enrich themselves at everyone else's expense."
    As far as I'm concerned, it's not much different than "whatever, old man" or similar. I think it's about as disrespectful as calling someone "kid".
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post

That's blasphemous -- How dare Generation X, Y, and Z speak ill of the boomers. Those beloved older folks who were able to survive with one working adult for a family of 4. Those wonderful people who had affordable housing, college, healthcare, and union representation. Those folks who got all those wonderful social benefits from being born in an era of post-war America....and then pulled the ladder up behind them.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post

Odd that older people might be sensitive about their age or being labeled in a way that makes them feel irrelevant. Also odd that older people would have the same kinds of worries about young people that they have for thousands of years. If any of this surprises you, I don't know what to tell you /shrug

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Funny, I just posted this in another thread. Apparently it's being misused and this is the correct definition. :P

As far as I'm concerned, it's not much different than "whatever, old man" or similar. I think it's about as disrespectful as calling someone "kid".
    Agreed.

Odd that older people might be sensitive about their age or being labeled in a way that makes them feel irrelevant. Also odd that older people would have the same kinds of worries about young people that they have for thousands of years. If any of this surprises you, I don't know what to tell you /shrug
    Well, I find it amusing. If they don't want to be given shit then they shouldn't have been giving shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    There's nothing bad neither in n-word nor in ok boomer
    According to what I’ve seen and read it is to boomers
    Shrug
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

10+ Year Old Account
    Well the last presidential campaign MSM were warmongering a men vs. women social conflict but this time they do a boomer vs. zoomer

Nothing really new and expect it to escalate terribly over the next year and fade away soon after Trump's re-election

10+ Year Old Account
    It isn't even an insult. There's literally not one insulting thing in there. "Boomer" is explicitly a term that refers to people who were born as part of the Baby Boom after WWII. Literally all "OK, Boomer" is saying is "whatever, I don't care what you have to say". That's rude and dismissive, but it's not an insult.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    It's a pretty brainless meme phrase, and the people using it sound like three year olds who just learned a new word and are using it to describe everything they see whether it fits or not. Is that offensive? Not really. Says more about the speaker than the target.
    Found the boomer.

The people who are declaring it an "ageist attack" are exactly the kind of people who have been complaining about 'millennials' for the last 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It isn't even an insult. There's literally not one insulting thing in there. "Boomer" is explicitly a term that refers to people who were born as part of the Baby Boom after WWII. Literally all "OK, Boomer" is saying is "whatever, I don't care what you have to say". That's rude and dismissive, but it's not an insult.
    Okay Endus.