Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Post Top aides 'told ex-UN envoy to undermine Trump'

Source

Nikki Haley: Top aides 'told ex-UN envoy to undermine Trump'

Nikki Haley, former US ambassador to the UN, has said two top White House aides encouraged her to undermine President Donald Trump.

In a new book, Ms Haley says then-Chief of Staff John Kelly and then-Secretary of State Rex Tillerson told her to resist some of Mr Trump's demands.

They reportedly told her they were "trying to save the country".

There was no immediate comment from Mr Tillerson. Mr Kelly said he had wanted the president to be fully informed.

"If by 'resistance' and 'stalling' she means putting a staff process in place... to ensure [Mr Trump] knew all the pros and cons of what policy decision he might be contemplating so he could make an informed decision, then guilty as charged," Mr Kelly told US broadcaster CBS.

Mr Trump tweeted his approval of the book, writing: "Good luck Nikki!"
    What does she say in the book?

Ms Haley says Mr Kelly and Mr Tillerson told her they "weren't being subordinate, they were trying to save the country".

"It was their decisions, not the president's, that were in the best interests of America, they said," she wrote in her book With All Due Respect, which was seen by the Washington Post before its release on Tuesday.

Mr Tillerson, she added, told her people would die if the president were not restrained.

Ms Haley, 47, said she had refused the request from Mr Kelly and Mr Tillerson, and called it "dangerous" and "offensive".

"Instead of saying that to me they should have been saying that to the president, not asking me to join them on their sidebar plan," she told CBS.

"It should have been - go tell the president what your differences are and quit if you don't like what he's doing. But to undermine a president... it is really a very dangerous thing and it goes against the constitution, and it goes against what the American people want. It was offensive."

How Nikki Haley shook up the UN

From Trump critic to Trump envoy

The former ambassador said she disagreed with the president over his handling of Russian President Vladimir Putin at a summit in Helsinki in 2017.

She also wrote that his comments after the deadly white supremacist rally in Charlottesville in 2017, that there were good people on "both sides", had been "hurtful and dangerous". A counter-protester, Heather Heyer, was killed at the demonstration.

But Ms Haley also said she supported a number of Mr Trump's policies that others within the administration opposed - such as his decisions to pull the US out of a nuclear deal with Iran, and to withdraw from the Paris climate agreement.

In the interview with CBS, she also criticised House Democrats' moves to impeach the president, saying that impeachment is "like the death penalty for public officials".

Do you think it's OK for an Ambassador to be told to undermine the President? If yes how would you feel if it was a President you supported?

I think this is all part of politics that has been going on for centuries and we are acting as if its something new and bad.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Do you think it's OK for an Ambassador to be told to undermine the President? If yes how would you feel if it was a President you supported?
    Elections have consequences let the voters truly experience their president whether good or bad, the people around him can offer counsel but they shouldn't undermine him. I never supported the entire let's stop Trump from the inside if you don't agree then quit and voice your concerns publicly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    I think it's only okay when it's a dangerous idiot like Trump.
    But if they didn't Trump would have initiated a Saturday night massacre and fired Mueller along with most of the DOJ things would have turned out differently.

Yes, and I'm sure we haven't had a president so bad that people needed to do this just so he doesn't completely fuck things over.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

I suppose I'd guess this sort of thing is pretty common, but I also suppose that this sort of thing moved from being at least somewhat clandestine to out in the open during the Trump era.

10+ Year Old Account
    People need to check their applause for lil Nikki.

Tillerson and all those other got purged before Nikki resigned on her own.

She's exactly the type of mean girl that would rat those people out to curry favor with Trump. Trump then replaced those people with Neo-Con retreads. Nikki is a Neo-Con herself. Looks like she would get a double win, by ratting out all those "patriots" that allegedly to thwart Trump.

She's going for the triple in her book, by now casting herself as a brave piece of the Resistance.
    Government Affiliated Snark

When the president does something so fucking illegal? Yeah, it is safe to to say that it is ok.

Goddamn the roast zenkai is gonna get in this thread is hilarious.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

No its not. Its incredibly corrupt. Trump doesn't have the support of the American people but he is president. If he is doing awful things it demands public condemnation, not a shadow government.

Hmm, let me guess, this thread won't be shut down, even though it TOO belongs in the shitshow thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

I find it more interesting that a former Secretary of State and Chief of Staff would direct any White House staff not to listen to, or to undermine, the president.

I think the last time this happened was with Nixon, when Defense Secretary Schlesinger told staff to phone him first if Nixon ordered a nuclear strike.

Sure is an interesting parallel, that one.

Top Republicans appointed by the top Republican advise a top Republican not to listen to the top Republican. Man that's an interesting sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    When the president does something so fucking illegal?
    Insert people who believe the Nixon line of "when the president does it that means it is not illegal." here

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Insert people who believe the Nixon line of "when the president does it that means it is not illegal." here
    We have tons of them here already. Zenkai, Sulla, Lockedout, then you have tons of Trump morons in congress that will do anything to ignore it like Rand Paul, Lindsey Graham, Matt Gaetz, Devin Nunes, Jim Jordan, Mark Meadows, Kevin McCarthy. List goes on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    We have tons of them here already. Zenkai, Sulla, Lockedout, then you have tons of Trump morons in congress that will do anything to ignore it like Rand Paul, Lindsey Graham, Matt Gaetz, Devin Nunes, Jim Jordan, Mark Meadows, Kevin McCarthy. List goes on and on.
    Nah they don't believe that line. They believe "When a republican president does it then it is not illegal." while some claim to be totes independent. They were all over Obama over even the most minor of slights.

10+ Year Old Account
    The oath of office is to support and defend the constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by wunksta View Post
    The oath of office is to support and defend the constitution.
    Yep, it is why it is surprising that all of these so called veterans and active duty military members, support Trump, who is a self admitted traitor to this country.

10+ Year Old Account
    Should individuals within the white house undermine a stable, respectable and competent president? No.

But Trump, of course, is none of those last three things.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's a tough call. On the one hand, I generally think that secretly working against someone you are supposed to be aiding is not an okay thing to do.

On the other, a case can be made that they serve the country and the office of President, not specifically the man holding it. If you take that angle, then 'for his own good' potentially becomes a valid argument.

Neither of these are particularly satisfying answers, but I'm not sure a 'good' answer exists.

Yeah, he's dangerous because he's orange. ORANGE MAN BAD.

And the UN hasn't been relevant for over 10 years now.