Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

Is it me or tanks are extinct?

The tank problem is even worse than retail, I can't find a tank at all and the tanks that join my group usually have requirements like being paid or res an item. I managed to finish the entire brd without a tank because I had an 60 lvl warrior who could tank in dps gear, he was raid geared. Lbrs+ is very hard without a clean tank and you can't outlevel the dungeons.

Is it me or this is a serious problem?

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aizen244 View Post
    The tank problem is even worse than retail, I can't find a tank at all and the tanks that join my group usually have requirements like being paid or res an item. I managed to finish the entire brd without a tank because I had an 60 lvl warrior who could tank in dps gear, he was raid geared. Lbrs+ is very hard without a clean tank and you can't outlevel the dungeons.

Why do you think every single new class has a tank spec?

Why do you think that role is the only one that drastically changed throughout the years?

Yes it's a giant problem in vanilla, live with it, that's the vanilla experience, wasting time searching for tanks is part of that experience.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

I would suggest getting with a guild that has active tanks. If you're in a guild and can't find a tank then you're not in a guild, you're in a social group. Find a guild that will help gear you because having you geared and others helps the guild progress. Also be willing to help others and don't just expect people to help you when you ask, what comes around goes around.

Make a tank friend

Bro pay the fuckin tanks. There is no reason why a tank should tank for free. It is the weakest solo class and only class that can't farm anything to make gold. Beside to tank properly at level 60 they need to be protection. Ideally there should be 2 tanks per 40 people so that every tank have a spot in a raid. So if you ask for more, it means these guys will not have raid spot and will only focus in running dungeons.
    Beside since phase 2 warriors can't farm shit in the open world. in 1 hour in ungoro of farming mining nodes, i found 6 nodes and got ganked 20 times because im the weakest 1v1 class.
    Stop this culture of tanking for free. Beside once you meet these rogues outside and ask for picklock or mages portal they ask you money..

This is why I love playing tank in vanilla!

Quote Originally Posted by CrawlFromThePit View Post
    Why do you think every single new class has a tank spec?

Why do you think that role is the only one that drastically changed throughout the years?

Yes it's a giant problem in vanilla, live with it, that's the vanilla experience, wasting time searching for tanks is part of that experience.
    It is so bad that now people are selling tank services.....

It was less of a problem in bfa but the best time to find a tank was around legion IMO, the mechanics were simple enough so it was an enjoyable role.

Contrary to tanks, Healers are more fun than retail, you can use the same addons and all but the mechanics are much simpler and you don't have to dps too or do anything except spamming heals. There are times where it's easier to find a healer than a dps.

The problem with vanilla is that most hybrids are not viable as tanks but as healers only so that leaves warriors as the only tanking option but most of them prefer to go dps because the class offers great dps and they are better for pvp like this too SO in the end there is none who can tank dungeons at all. If you add the complexity of the tanking role on top of this then it's an overkill.
    Last edited by Vampiregenesis; 2019-11-19 at 03:10 PM.

blame the fury warriors, blame the streamers, blame the mages and warlocks who aoe in the first quarter second and then flame the tank because he didn't use shockwave. With how ignorant everyone is to the mechanics of threat its a toxic environment for anyone who isn't already a great tank. It's 100% not the tanks' fault. Its the lack of knowledge in the playerbase aside from their prebis list, which obviously if you have memorized then youre good apparently.

Tank's aren't going to run dungeons they don't need and a tank doesn't owe you a run just because hes a tank and you need gear. welcome to classic. treat your tanks better and wait a half a second instead of a quarter second before aoe'ing and i promise youll find a tank that will stay.

I leveled a Bear and slapped the Warden Staff my main luckily got on him and i've been making a killing selling Tank runs. I can tank dungeons just as well as 99% of warriors and my repair bill is nowhere near as expensive so my profit is on avg higher than Warrior tanks selling runs who still have to consider the plate repair tax.

I'm so glad I decided to save that Warden Staff now instead of sell it. I easily made my money back already through tank carries and DPS alts with plenty of gold to waste are happy to not have to wait an hour for a tank.

The lack of tools and the abundance of tools drove me out.

I let my subscribe laps because I just started playing outer world but I might resubs after seeing this.

I have a few epics and BiS pieces till BWL with warden staff.

I also have my UBRS Key and both MC/ Ony attuned...

What’s the going rate right now ?

( I’m on whitemane )

3+ Year Old Account
    It is so bad that now people are selling tank services.....

It was less of a problem in retail but the best time to find a tank was around legion IMO, the mechanics were simple enough so it was an enjoyable role.

On the contrary, healers are more fun than retail, you can use the same addons and all but the mechanics are much simpler and you don't have to dps too or do anything except spamming heals. There are times where it's easier to find a healer than a dps. Tanking needs to be abolished.
    The reason why tanking was so popular in Legion was not because of mechanics. It's because tanks were insanely OP, often able to finish dungeons on their own and just bringing DPS along to make it go faster. Tank legendaries were fun as hell, the speed boots with Sephuz gave DKs the respectable amount of movement speed they should have all the time because being slow is boring as shit. Also almost every tank geared haste and the stats in Legion were nuts, I've made DK build with over 60% haste, ridiculously overkill but just more fun.

Most tanks leveled in BfA starting with 40% haste just to end up with like 12% and feeling sluggish as hell on top of moving slower. AKA everything was less fun.

Quote Originally Posted by predasmoke3 View Post
    blame the fury warriors
    Blame us for... what exactly? If you’re referring to the next line of mages and warlocks pulling Aggro: I know how to control my threat in a 5 man. If you’re referring to the fact that we’re fury and not prot: have you ever stopped to consider the logistics of a raid team? I leveled a warrior knowing that I would be both an amazing DPS spec or an amazing tank spec. I planned on doing whichever was needed for whatever raiding guild I joined. My guild didn’t need any more tanks. I went fury.
    The thing you’re maybe not considering is that you only really need about 2 tanks for a 40 man raid right now. That’s 1 tank per 20 people, 4 times worse of a ratio than is needed for dungeons (where it’s 1 tank per 5 people).
    The simple math shows the reason why we have a tank issue.
    Dungeons are 1 per 5 players.
    Raids are 1 per 20 players.
    If the ratios were more even then the problem wouldn’t be as bad.

Oh and there are also two other factors: respec cost and MS>OS.
    I raid Wed, Fri, Sat. No way in hell im paying 50 g Saturday to respec prot, 50 gold wed to respec fury and then another 50 to respec prot after raid, and then another 50 gold Friday to go back to fury. If you want a dedicated prot warrior to run dungeons with you Sun-Tues you can absolutely hit me up if you play on US Mankrik, but I’m gonna charge a 100g fee, or at least SOME kind of compensation per run in order to make my 100 g respec fee back. People aren’t willing to do this so I’m just gonna stay DPS.

Other issue is that I’m still working on one or two pieces of my BiS gear, and, while it’s fairly easy for a DPS warrior to get tanking gear in a 5 man without major complaining, most DPS won’t like the tank rolling on their DPS gear even if that tank is a MS DPS.
    Last edited by Hctaz; 2019-11-19 at 03:26 PM.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Given that most of my BIS gear isn't plate and people bitch and moan if I want to put together a set of tank gear, no can do buddy.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

The tank role has always been overly and now uncomfortably interdependent and initially was almost literally made possible by a sense of awe at the then still young idea of “whoa... those avatars... are people from around the world!”

That awe has been dead for over a decade, thus the rot at the heart of the trinity. There is no reason to “step up and lead” a playerbase that no longer plays/pays to be led on their time.

I don’t have any solutions, but the consolation prize is that tanks own the open world and all the forthcoming role agnostic, group-scaling content in retail! It started with world quests, and thankfully Bliz keep adding more wings to the burned out tanks retirement homes. All 10 of my tanks rejoice that we don’t have to lead strangers any more

10+ Year Old Account

Tanking pugs in Classic is pretty much one of the shittiest experiences in the game, because it requires your DPS not to be brain dead, which is really, really rare.

Tanks aren't extinct, they just aren't tanking pugs.

The best way to ensure a tank is readily available is to become one. That's what I did. ez game!

You can tank all the 5 mans and 10mans as warrior, regardless of spec, as long as you have majority of your gear as plate. Same goes with druid and leather gear. Dont know what are the requirements for shamans and paladins, but I guess it is not that high as well. All 4 of them can tank them, regardless of what the general opinon is.

You do not need prot warrior as a tank, and if you require one it is on you.
    -
    The general population treats tanks so horribly, both on classic and on retail, that pug tankin is not enjoyable nor worth the time for gearing for most of the time. Let alone worth the gold & harashment you get.

Only people who are doin it seem to be in it for profit or havent put the little time in to join a guild/or build a social circle within they tank only.

There are also ton of people who go "I'm a FURY warrior, I dont tank" and then cry when they can't find group for 3 hours, for example.

Another complete shitshow is refusing to share the loot. You have dps joiing your group who says he can tank but wants to still roll for dps gear. People refuse them and is stuck on looking for tank for hours to go.

No wonder that tanks tend to charge fee or reserve loot in enviroment like that. It is not the monotone gameplay you might get or lack of availible tanks, it is the shitty players you need to deal with. Much easier to go with guild and/or friends and not pug at all.
    -
    Personally I've not had problems finding the tanks. Tho I've treated every tank with respect, regardless how bad they've played and collected the names from half-decent and better players and ask them first if I'm goin somewhere. Like in many other things on online gaming, having basic manners take you far and makes people to want to play with you.
    Last edited by curupuru; 2019-11-19 at 03:54 PM. Reason: typos

15+ Year Old Account
    Wild guess, peoples experience on how "tanks" are viewed and treated on live carried over to Classic, aka people are afraid to "take lead" and afraid to think they will have an increased amount of responsibility, and dont wanna be "flamed" for not nothing a minor detail on routing in dungeon, an boss mechanic or an dungeon skip.

So the people who was scared away from playing tanks in retail, stayed away from tanks in classic, and dont forget the "wannabe" tanks on retail whos main spec is dps but quickly change to tank to do a dungeon with little to no experience or knowledge how to tank most likely avoided playing tanks in classic in the first place.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Time to level a tank capable class lol