Poll: Rate the movie STAR WARS™: The Rise of Skywalker™

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some more stuff I learned.

Anakin was at least one of the voice (confirmed if you looked at the credits)
    Ashoka confirmed dead (she was also a voice)

The Ghost (Star Wars Rebels) was part of the last battle. So Hera is still probably around.

The hooded figures around Palps were cultists, kind of like the Knight of Ren.

Rae Sloane, one of the intitial leaders of the First Order was among the officers Kylo addressed.

The ships on Exogal were far more advanced than First Order ships even though they looked like old ISDs

JJ is so booty at ending stuff. Anakin should have been there with Ben as he died. That scene would have made JJ legendary in SW fandom.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Some more stuff I learned.

Anakin was at least one of the voice (confirmed if you looked at the credits)
    Ashoka confirmed dead (she was also a voice)

The Ghost (Star Wars Rebels) was part of the last battle. So Hera is still probably around.

The hooded figures around Palps were cultists, kind of like the Knight of Ren.

Rae Sloane, one of the intitial leaders of the First Order was among the officers Kylo addressed.

The ships on Exogal were far more advanced than First Order ships even though they looked like old ISDs

JJ is so booty at ending stuff. Anakin should have been there with Ben as he died. That scene would have made JJ legendary in SW fandom.
    Anakin might have not showed up because his actor had such a poor time due to the prequels and stopped acting. just my guess but id guess getting a voice cameo is easier to get then them showing up on video.

Saw it. Movie is dog shit. TLJ is still worst for how they treated Luke. But this one is close second with OP Rey and retarded Palpatine.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    The prequels did not say using the Force was difficult though...mastering it is hard. Using it in meaningful ways is hard. Not falling to the dark side is hard. Becoming Jedi Master is hard. Use of it is pretty basic.
    To ensure Star Wars feels special, a huge key is to make sure that using the Force is a very special thing to do. Rey was way too wily with it in RoS. That risks making the Force seem almost ho-hum, and then you invite power creep to keep fans interest in the future.

Its like with WoW. The writers zoomed out to world ending threats, then reality ending threats, and it broke the lore because they can't ever step back from that or else people get bored. So every expac is about all of reality under assault. Its just stupid.

Star Wars is at a key moment. The writers need to reverse course. Make it really hard to use the Force. Require a ton of training and discipline and still fail. It needs to be powered down before it gets stupid.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Honestly I think Star Wars, at least the Skywalker Saga, should have ended with Return of the Jedi. The story felt complete.

What they should have done was go back and explore other timelines in the Star Wars mythos. Maybe tell the story of Ajunta Pall, the first dark lord of the Sith and show his progression from Exiled Jedi, to Dark Jedi, and finally establishing the Sith. Explore their mythos and belief structure as we already have so much information on the Jedi but what do movie audiences know about the sith? nothing really, just evil space wizards fighting the good space monks.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    I really think you need to go re-read the chain of replies which lead up to this comment. I'm perfectly fine with you disliking TLJ for whatever reason you have for disliking it. My biggest gripe with Rise of Skywalker is that it seems to be purposefully constructed to intentionally hand wave an entire fucking movie whose biggest flaw wasn't that it was a bad movie (or that it had "shitty writing" or that it "subverted expectations"), but rather that it tried to free the narrative from the Memberberry underpinnings of its predecessor. And not only does it go out of its way to say fuck you to TLJ, it redoubles on the exact nostalgia-fueled nonsense that made The Force Awakens a mostly uninteresting retread of A New Hope. On the merits of film making, it's fine. The effects are great. It looks amazing and it's totally worth the price of admission. On the merits of acting, it's exceptional. But on the merits of its story it's such a convoluted nightmare that one has to wonder why else would J. J. go so far out of his way to retcon almost the entirety of TLJ if for no other reason than to quell the fan outrage it spawned.
    Yeah and what I find funny is how there are people who blame all the terribleness of this movie on Rian saying how this film would have been better if JJ didn't have to deal with TLJ. Do they really think that JJ wouldn't have brought back palpatine or give them a force power boost while turning the force also into a teleporter from star trek? The dude gave us a magic laser missile planet that can multishot and eats suns and a new yoda that is older and quirkier than the original, and sure Rian gave us ship ramming but its a hell of a lot more logical and less retarded then then the super duper death star and the heroes going back to being the under dog resistance in less then 30 years or giving palpatine 20 times the fleet he had in the originals that he hid as a back up incase he died.

Quote Originally Posted by Babadoo View Post
    Saw it. Movie is dog shit. TLJ is still worst for how they treated Luke. But this one is close second with OP Rey and retarded Palpatine.
    This film completely negates the prophecy of the original trilogy as well as power boosts everyone to 900% and thats not even mentioning force teleport. I think all that trumps shitting on Luke.
    Last edited by qwerty123456; 2019-12-21 at 06:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stabbyfists View Post
    Honestly I think Star Wars, at least the Skywalker Saga, should have ended with Return of the Jedi. The story felt complete.

What they should have done was go back and explore other timelines in the Star Wars mythos. Maybe tell the story of Ajunta Pall, the first dark lord of the Sith and show his progression from Exiled Jedi, to Dark Jedi, and finally establishing the Sith. Explore their mythos and belief structure as we already have so much information on the Jedi but what do movie audiences know about the sith? nothing really, just evil space wizards fighting the good space monks.
    I think exploring the Force is probably a mistake. I think its better to create interesting characters and tell a good story and include Jedi or Sith in that story. Where the prequels went wrong was in how Lucas started trying to explain details instead of telling a good story.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I think exploring the Force is probably a mistake. I think its better to create interesting characters and tell a good story and include Jedi or Sith in that story. Where the prequels went wrong was in how Lucas started trying to explain details instead of telling a good story.
    totally agree, story around the force, is like some story around "the magic", not rly appealing and feels meh, i like the other trilogies cause it was not rly about the force either.

one dude said here that a story about the sith and jedi uniting for a greater enemy, i think that would be great for a change, is cliche but does work.

or even take a huge timeskip to deal with another kind of problem, who do not revolve around imperial order.

A history from the past would be cool i guess, not much a fan of that, but could work

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    luke failed to beat a child training toy and you think that means he can take on some one like bobba fett? not to mention he force throws that head with a box.
    You mean the first time he saw it before he even knew what the force was he failed it, HOLY SHIT CALL LUCAS. Not to mention Bobba Fett is so fucking over exaggerated like he was jaw dropping, guy was a decent bounty hunter but that is it. Over the top a bit, but still nothing crazy.

you also see the mountain coming back to life in the last panel is literally turning form dead rock to glowing blue and blowing out sand.
    Is there a 4th panel I'm not seeing? Its blue,that might be glowing, it might be the fact it has blue metals in it. Also in the panels itself they say someone else started it, and he will do his best to finish it, whatever it is, it could be as simple as pumping the amount of force you need to push a rock. I get you don't like that I'm calling Rey and her writing shit, but come on.

force healing also doesn't ruin anakins arc at all as it could very well be that it was pulled from the old republic books and was lost knowledge to the new republic jedi order. hell you could even argue that force healing is the thing palp was tempting anakin with which he never got around to teaching.
    Oh boy glad Rey could magically fucking know it then, same with Kylo! No bullshit here, no sir.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

So the prequel trilogy was interesting ideas poorly executed, and the sequel trilogy is bland ideas blandly executed. I guess they both average to a "meh," but interesting is interesting even when it's poorly done, this was just rather forgettable. While TLJ was unpopular and bloated, it was so, so much more interesting than anything team Abrams came up with, wish Johnson had been allowed to make this one as well. It would have been a financial disaster but a much better capstone in the long run.

The pop-up halloween store emperor for most of the film was embarrassingly bad. It looked like my incompetent elderly aunt tried to do Ian McDiarmid's makeup.

People who are fixated on the sjw of it all and the "Rey is uh Merry Su" argument are missing the forest for like a specific small branch on one of the trees. She's not a Mary Sue, they just have radically changed how the Force works in this series. Not generally for the better, although kudos to them for trying I guess. The films are bad because they're disjointed, ill-conceived, and incoherent. If I were a betting man, I would bet that within a decade there will be an attempted reboot. Possibly of the whole thing, possibly just of the sequels. What should the next defunct canon be called?

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    You mean the first time he saw it before he even knew what the force was he failed it, HOLY SHIT CALL LUCAS. Not to mention Bobba Fett is so fucking over exaggerated like he was jaw dropping, guy was a decent bounty hunter but that is it. Over the top a bit, but still nothing crazy.
    Bobba fett is a bounty hunter trained since he was a child and also has more extended material. luke is a water farmer who fights him off with a saber and with the force, blind. for comparison obi-wan had a hard time fighting jango while being able to see.

Is there a 4th panel I'm not seeing? Its blue,that might be glowing, it might be the fact it has blue metals in it. Also in the panels itself they say someone else started it, and he will do his best to finish it, whatever it is, it could be as simple as pumping the amount of force you need to push a rock. I get you don't like that I'm calling Rey and her writing shit, but come on.
    sure lets ignore the blue, the mountain is still breathing out sand.

the person who started it also only brought those little rock dudes back to life and that killed him, luke braing the whole mountain back to life. either go read the comic or take my word on it past that there's no point in debating something if you will just deny it with out actually looking into your self.

were also comparing luke and obi-wan just like Disney if your obsessed with rey that's soloy a you problem as were not talking about her at this moment. hell i'm not even defending rey i'm pointing out basic stuff you got wrong about character who last time i checked are not rey.

Oh boy glad Rey could magically fucking know it then, same with Kylo! No bullshit here, no sir.
    rey had the old jedi books which likely predate the old republic, did you not watch the movie or something? they show the books in it and the books are a key point in TLJ. kylo learning it is questionable but they have the mind link so what ever.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2019-12-21 at 07:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Axxil View Post
    Incorrect. Obi used force projection in AOTC.
    Now, granted I haven't watched the prequels in nearly 20 years, but I don't remember this at all.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Now, granted I haven't watched the prequels in nearly 20 years, but I don't remember this at all.
    That's because it didn't happen. Perhaps the person is making some kind of deeply technical nitpicky point, but in no actual sense was this kind of force projection used.

Bobba fett is a bounty hunter trained since he was a child and also has more extended material. luke is a water farmer who fights him off with a saber and with the force, blind. for comparison obi-wan had a hard time fighting jango while being able to see.
    Jango was trained and shown to be competent, but then again he was literally ran at and beheaded in 2 seconds by Mace Windo soooooo. Even in the panels its not like Luke had an extended brawl with him, he swaps at a cable, clips Bobba, then Bobba trips and is knocked out by a utility box that is thrown at him. That is the extent of how badass Bobba Fett is.

sure lets ignore the blue, the mountain is still breathing out sand.
    Congrats you described its color, as for breathing, seems more like air is being let out, not breathed. Again you also have no clue what "bringing it to life" actually entails, it could literally be nothing force related, that is how petty you are getting defended the bullshit they pull with Rey. Maybe it is super duper bullshit that should have killed Luke, who knows, we don't. If it is, you got me, so super shitty comic writing is making Luke bigger than he should be.

the person who started it also only brought those little rock dudes back to life and that killed him, luke braing the whole mountain back to life. either go read the comic or take my word on it past that there's no point in debating something if you will just deny it with out actually looking into your self.
    Because nothing is given in the shit you present, we don't know because some shitty comic author threw some shit on the page. I wont defend the shitty author and say it is good. SO you know what I will give it to you, this is shitty writing, and makes Luke look bad, now you stop defending the bullshit that Rey does as thinking its fine, because from the movies it isn't, and you know what when they produce terrible comics about Rey teleporting planets I will be sure to remember to send them to you.

were also comparing luke and obi-wan just like Disney if your obsessed with rey that's soloy a you problem as were not talking about her at this moment. hell i'm not even defending rey i'm pointing out basic stuff you got wrong about character who last time i checked are not rey.
    You are defending her constantly, I have pointed out that Luke and Anakin had flaws in their story telling, but you had to pull whataboutisms from the fucking comics to defend the Sequel trilogy. All you literally had to say, is you know what, what they did with Rey was pretty fucking bad. However this is X/Y/Z that I enjoyed.

rey had the old jedi books which likely predate the old republic, did you not watch the movie or something? they show the books in it and the books are a key point in TLJ. kylo learning it is questionable but they have the mind link so what ever.
    Oh boy sure glad we had those magical books show up that have such amazing information that no one know, how fucking convenient (that word could describe the entire damn movie). Also glad the books were so simple and easy to learn that within a year she could master them. Also the books that you are talking about in TLJ, the same ones that Yoda burned you mean? I will give you I only watched that movie once at release and said fuck watching that again, but I very strongly remember Yoda burning them and saying that it was a bunch of crap anyways (also Rey didn't even look at the books, or if they off screened it like so much crap is being done she saw them for the what 5 days she was with Luke).

Literally all 3 you presented by the way were extra shit tacked on many years later by other authors that were trying to tie into the new mythos of super Luke, none of the original movie stuff. Meanwhile in just the movies alone we see super duper bullshit with Rey, I can't wait to see what powers they give her when the comic and books guys get the green light.
    Last edited by bledgor; 2019-12-21 at 07:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

The ending should have had Rey destroy Paplantine's physical form and the Jedi from the past (all the voices of Jedi they used, including live action Ashoka and Kanan) show up to drag the immortal spirit of Darth Sidious into the netherworld of the force. Think about it. Yoda, Anakin, Qui'gonn, Obi Wan, Luke, Leia... hell let's throw in Mace Windu too... all to lock away the Final Dark Lord of the Sith forever.

Massive missed opportunity by not doing that. But JJ Abrams is Mr. Missed Opportunity because he has the imagination of a garden gnome and doesn't give a fig about continuity.

Also wish instead of created-from-nowhere Exegol, it was Moraband or better yet a corrupted Mortis if they wanted to do some real weird shit. This was a fanwank movie, so go full fanwank.

I loved the return of Sidious. Absolutely stole the show. And Richard E Grant should have been in all three. Star Wars continues its long history of adding good characters and actors at the absolute last minute and doing the bare minimum with them (see: Christopher Lee, Ian McDirmand in the original trilogy).

Movie was fine, but the fact remains, JJ Abrams was the wrong director to be brought in, in the first place. The MCU managed to have generally far better, better directed, and more coherent series of films with directors half as far up their own ass as Abrams. Most of the problems of the sequel trilogy boil down to that he created a bunch of mystery boxes with no intended resolution in TFA that he dumped in Rian Johnson's lap, and then had to create some kind of resolution between TFA and TLJ. He fucked up bad.

The best thing that can happen is the next trilogy get as far away from the Skywalker saga as possible - either thousands of years in the past or in the future - and don't film a single scene until there is a plan for where they're going to go.

Thus ends the Skywalker saga... 9 movies, two of them good (ESB, ANH), three of them okay (RTJ, RotS, RoS) and four of them an absolute mess (TPM, AotC, TLJ, TFA). Rogue One and Solo remain generally better than most of the movies (especially Rogue One, which is probably the second best movie of the franchise). Of course, the absolute best remains Clone Wars and Rebels.

Can't wait for the Mandalorian episode 8 though, where Abrams stinking talentless claws are nowhere near.

Reading some of the comments, I dont get why people are so obsess with Luke; its up to lunatic crazy at this point. Luke is way too powerful if they kept him alive it would just make things uninteresting; and he failed like Yoda did & run into hiding like Yoda did, everything he did is Jedi like. Sure if it was me I would had luke die in ep 9 with the fight against Palpatine but to have him die using an amazing force power like that isnt too bad either. The only problems I saw with that movie was the stupid dragged on ship chase scene, the cluster fuck of bombers that was easy targets because no1 in their right mind will have such a stupid formation of spacecrafts. LJ is still better than FA thats nothing more than a reskinned of A New Hope.

For Rise of Skywalker, I think it was ok, there were so much more that could had been done that would had made it better. The movie felt very rush, too much hopping around and now the master of 2 force factions are Avatars? Only thing I like is how they did the fights, there was actual use of the force during fights and it's no longer just swinging lightsabers around; with that it is closer to how we had experience things in the video games and cinematic for the old republic. With all the fan service, they should had brought back Asoka & Ezra from unknown space to help with the fight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anakin might have not showed up because his actor had such a poor time due to the prequels and stopped acting. just my guess but id guess getting a voice cameo is easier to get then them showing up on video.
    Now I feel sad for the guy. Doesn't look he has stopped acting, SW fans can be rabid though.

The great tragedy of Kevin Feige is that, beyond raking in a mountain of cash as the head of Marvel Studios, he truly wants to be seen as an impresario of artists. The recent dust-up caused by Martin Scorsese staring holes through Disney's stunt-casting of noteworthy emerging filmmakers to lend clout to a method of filmmaking dictated by studio notes and franchise bible supervisors punctured this self-delusion and prompted a wave of pathetic self-defensiveness in which the CEO was called to stand up for the manager. In spite of it all, though, Feige's sincere belief that he is creating lasting art makes him a sympathetic figure, so earnest that he cannot see the extent to which he has helped to leech the next generation of filmmakers of the chance to make truly individual art.

Kathleen Kennedy is like Feige's cosmic inverse. If Feige has convinced himself that he has fostered an environment of creativity amid a soulless system, Kennedy's shepherding of Lucasfilm has been so profoundly mercenary that not only has nearly every filmmaker tapped to helm one of these features stepped down or been removed for having the audacity to try to bring a personal voice to this franchise, but all of them have subsequently been the targets of entire PR campaigns meant to discredit them. Rian Johnson somehow slipped under the radar with a truly unique, worthwhile contribution to George Lucas's unwieldy universe, and he has been rewarded for it with years of navigating fan backlash on his lonesome and a press rollout for this follow-up that has taken numerous potshots at his film to reassure angry fans that things will end 'correctly.'

That spirit infuses The Rise of Skywalker, the most soulless entry of the Disney era of Star Wars and perhaps the new prime example of how this age of filmmaking has brutally jettisoned vision and surprise for slavish devotion to IP and what a bunch of executives think you, the stupid public, want to see. This is two and a half hours of nonstop stuff, incessant exposition that flits through scenes designed to micro-target every possible fan-service desire at the expense of coherence or meaning. It actively unravels The Last Jedi's bold revisions and thematic questions, cooing into the audience's ear that everything will be as they want again, like massaging a pill down a dog's throat.

Every piece of dialogue introduces a new fetch-quest task, but it also bluntly affirms the most basic fan wants, from making sure the new trio is almost never apart to upholding the Manichean moral schism that TLJ so compellingly collapsed. That the film goes out of its way to sideline and omit Kelly Marie Tran, the only person to receive nastier online treatment than Rian Johnson, sends the ultimate message: if you scream loudly enough, the producers will listen, even if you are screaming racial and misogynistic slurs.

After Johnson's delicate direction and inventive production design, we fall back to Abrams, who definitively exposes himself as a fraud, a man who thinks a close-up of a wide-eyed face can make him the next Spielberg but who has such a shoddy grasp of how to communicate through a camera that one is left with a lesser notion of these characters and what makes them meaningful than we had after two films. Abrams sprints between micro-payoffs to irrelevant teases but keeps the characters locked into loops of behavior that make only slight room for growth within narrow parameters. There is a relatively early scene (or maybe late; time loses all meaning in this endless rush of plot) where a crucial clue can only be unlocked by wiping C3PO's memory. At first, that choice is given the gravity it deserves, with the heroes seriously contemplating the existential horror of erasing a companion who has, in his goofy way, been the one constant of this saga. Almost immediately, however, the moment becomes the subject of humor that overrides all drama, a reflexive flinch of considering anything truly dark or troubling in a film supposedly predicated on the possibility of total destruction. This scene epitomizes everything wrong with the movie to me, not only in its tonal cowardice but in the way that a potentially reset C3PO represents the ideal of the Disney era of Star Wars, the possibility to recycle without end, showing someone the exact same thing and hoping they will react as if they've never seen it before.

As a film property, Star Wars is, to put it mildly, flawed. George Lucas's deficiencies as a writer and his fixations as a technician limit even the original trilogy, and they place extreme stress upon the sincere thematic and technical ambitions of the prequels. But though he worked with elemental archetypes, Lucas created such an evocative realm that it sustained decades of multimedia properties that fleshed out its galaxy with action, horror and myth, and found its core characters malleable enough and captivating enough to develop fuller lives, changing and probing them with age and events to see how they might respond. Rey, Finn and Poe, on the other hand, seemed destined for little more than erotic fan-fiction. They are so rigidly defined by the protagonists who preceded them that they do not feel like a new generation laden with possibility but a means for the previous one to act out their own arcs once more. That the film relies more on the ghosts of classic characters than the actions of current ones only compounds that this is nothing more than a feel-good machine for the worst kind of fan and it renders this trilogy completely meaningless as a springboard for new creations. The final shot of the film is meant to communicate that the future is open for yet more stories, but in the end it feels like it has only succeeded in telling the same one again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    To ensure Star Wars feels special, a huge key is to make sure that using the Force is a very special thing to do. Rey was way too wily with it in RoS. That risks making the Force seem almost ho-hum, and then you invite power creep to keep fans interest in the future.

Its like with WoW. The writers zoomed out to world ending threats, then reality ending threats, and it broke the lore because they can't ever step back from that or else people get bored. So every expac is about all of reality under assault. Its just stupid.

Star Wars is at a key moment. The writers need to reverse course. Make it really hard to use the Force. Require a ton of training and discipline and still fail. It needs to be powered down before it gets stupid.
    Honestly theres no worst power creep in this film but Kylos. Rey shoots lightning out her fingers after a lot of struggle on top of losing control. My man Kylo is out here bending space-time. Rey actually seems a lot weaker in this. She sucks at her training, she hasn't mastered much of anything, Kylo mopped the floor with her until Leia reached out to him. Her best feat (on her one) was the Force heal...which even Baby Yoda can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    The ending should have had Rey destroy Paplantine's physical form and the Jedi from the past (all the voices of Jedi they used, including live action Ashoka and Kanan) show up to drag the immortal spirit of Darth Sidious into the netherworld of the force. Think about it. Yoda, Anakin, Qui'gonn, Obi Wan, Luke, Leia... hell let's throw in Mace Windu too... all to lock away the Final Dark Lord of the Sith forever.

Massive missed opportunity by not doing that. But JJ Abrams is Mr. Missed Opportunity because he has the imagination of a garden gnome and doesn't give a fig about continuity.

Also wish instead of created-from-nowhere Exegol, it was Moraband or better yet a corrupted Mortis if they wanted to do some real weird shit. This was a fanwank movie, so go full fanwank.

I loved the return of Sidious. Absolutely stole the show. And Richard E Grant should have been in all three. Star Wars continues its long history of adding good characters and actors at the absolute last minute and doing the bare minimum with them (see: Christopher Lee, Ian McDirmand in the original trilogy).

Movie was fine, but the fact remains, JJ Abrams was the wrong director to be brought in, in the first place. The MCU managed to have generally far better, better directed, and more coherent series of films with directors half as far up their own ass as Abrams. Most of the problems of the sequel trilogy boil down to that he created a bunch of mystery boxes with no intended resolution in TFA that he dumped in Rian Johnson's lap, and then had to create some kind of resolution between TFA and TLJ. He fucked up bad.

The best thing that can happen is the next trilogy get as far away from the Skywalker saga as possible - either thousands of years in the past or in the future - and don't film a single scene until there is a plan for where they're going to go.

Thus ends the Skywalker saga... 9 movies, two of them good (ESB, ANH), three of them okay (RTJ, RotS, RoS) and four of them an absolute mess (TPM, AotC, TLJ, TFA). Rogue One and Solo remain generally better than most of the movies (especially Rogue One, which is probably the second best movie of the franchise). Of course, the absolute best remains Clone Wars and Rebels.

Can't wait for the Mandalorian episode 8 though, where Abrams stinking talentless claws are nowhere near.
    Agree with some things you said here but why exactly do you think Rogue One is a good movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Zexaniro View Post
    That the film relies more on the ghosts of classic characters than the actions of current ones only compounds that this is nothing more than a feel-good machine for the worst kind of fan and it renders this trilogy completely meaningless as a springboard for new creations.
    I couldn't agree more.
    Last edited by Nerovar; 2019-12-21 at 08:00 AM.