Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Unless the tier set items are actually acquirable outside of the raid (mythic+ chest, mythic+, WQs) they should not return. The game is currently built to make non-raiding gameplay sustainable and realistic. Making items with OP effects which are pretty much mandatory for your class to work drop from specific raid bosses goes directly against that philosophy and this was one of the few things that actually didn't work in Legion. Glad they are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    It was all the expansion was about. So it appears you haven't seriously raided recently. Yep... Mythic raiding modern WoW... so hard with huge colorful zones marked by the encounter.... giant arrows telling everyone when something is coming and what direction it's heading. Yep... hold your Mythic trophy high! lol

- - - Updated - - -

I disagree 100%. Reforging was a way to make a new piece of gear potentially useful. And also a way to maximize the gear you did have. It was fun. Much more fun than spamming gear tokens for just the right RNG proc.

"Top tier" raiding? lol

- - - Updated - - -

Mythic Monkey? Gear Gerbil? You can have it man... I left modern WoW long ago.
    So you speak about something you do not know. Got it. Your credibility = 0.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    Awesome feelings are not allow in WoW anymore. It was not fair to other people when you got yours and they didn't have their set. Especially not fair to those who are anti-social, did not play with other players, but still wanted to play an MMO and get the same rewards as those that were social playing a social game.

Yeah... awesome feelings were banned form the game.
    why the f8ck are they playing a MMO game then? Do they understand that MMO refers to MASSIVE MULTIPLAYER ONLINE? It is like ppl who complain wow doesn't have enough solo content, while fact is wow has way too much solo content for a MMO game, so much that it is starting to dwarf the actual MMO part of the game

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ViolenceJackRespectsWomen View Post
    Nah tier sets are boring and Azerite armor in theory is a better system blizzard just sucks at implementation. We can debate about it if you want.
    anyone who play wow and have a friend who used to play and stopped, one of things they still follow until well BFA came was tier sets
    i used to have 12 rl friends to play with in wrath, all of them even after stop wow for many different reasons still liked to check tier sets, it was that much core part of wow
    some of them who even traveled and left the WORST country on earth since years had to ask to check why no more 'tier sets' in latest exp

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sithalos View Post
    Ion has this idea that he can do better than the tier set system. It's like trying to reinvent the wheel, and making it a square.

Maybe triangles will work out better for him.
    i think he will invent new shape to replace the wheel, it will have 90 and 180 degree angels in it and will walk and run and crawl too XD
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Tier sets are a combination of class design and unique art assets. It’s like a double shot of poison to this dog shit development team.

So, the exact wording of the question and answer at Blizzcon:

"I read an interview where you said that tier sets would not be coming back in this expansion. Is that true?"

"So... It depends. We have a wide range of epic armor sets, there are sixteen armor sets that can be earned through Covenants - four per material type - as well as other sets that can be earned through other types of content. There's no question that we are going to get back to class-themed armor sets at some point. It's not going to happen in the initial patch of Shadowlands, but there is too much fantasy there and too much desire on the part of our team and on the part of the community to explore that for us to leave that by the wayside for too long."

"Sorry... When people say they want tier sets back, I don't think the majority of people mean just from an aesthetic point of view; I think they mean the tier set bonuses and having something to farm."

"That's... Possibly that's more likely in some ways? I think the challenge for us, that also led to us moving away from them, is having it feel like a long-term goal. I think that's what sets were when they were first introduced like fifteen years ago, you can literally see it today in Classic, people running Molten Core trying to assemble their various Might and other class sets. And that was a weeks-long, months-long journey that led to a sense of completion and a sense of satisfaction when you finally got there. Over the course of the years, as loot quantities increased, as we got multiple raid difficulties, by the time we got to, say, Warlords of Draenor and Legion, it was very common for players - of a wide range of skill levels - to be completing their entire sets within the first quarter of a tier. In the case of some high-end raiders, literally week three of a six or seven month tier. And then at that point the set almost became a prison, to maybe exaggerate a little bit; you were locked into those pieces for those slots. No chest piece would ever compare if it didn't have a set bonus, no shoulder piece would ever compare, and a good third of your character if not more was effectively off-limits for the whole rest of the tier. That said, set bonuses are super exciting. And so I think delivering that kind of goal that you can work towards, that changes the way your class plays from tier to tier, that's something we absolutely want to embrace, just not in a way that it's a box you tick a few weeks into a new raid tier and then never think about again."

"So where does that satisfaction come from in Shadowlands raiding?"

"I mean... Legendaries are gonna be a huge part of it, is what we're thinking about; from climbing Torghast, figuring out what powers you want on the legendary and working towards crafting it and perfecting the item of your dreams, and then moving on to another one. And sets, in other forms... We've had smaller two and three-piece sets that we've continued to make in raids and dungeons, recently seen in the Mechagon dungeon and elsewhere, that's something we're going to keep doing, that we want to expand upon."

"We've definitely heard the feedback and we agree that sets were a really big part of what made raiding compelling; there was something you that were constantly chasing, it was a unique reward for a raid, and that's something that we know, moving into Shadowlands, we're going to look for opportunities there. With legendaries, like Ion said, they're a really big part of what you'll want to be chasing in Shadowlands, and professions and crafting those legendaries will be a part of it, and an example I love to use is when you got, you know, Sulfuras, that wasn't something that you only crafted. You had to go kill Ragnaros and get the eye, to then craft that legendary weapon, right? That's a really cool thing that we could explore further."

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    Unless the tier set items are actually acquirable outside of the raid (mythic+ chest, mythic+, WQs) they should not return. The game is currently built to make non-raiding gameplay sustainable and realistic. Making items with OP effects which are pretty much mandatory for your class to work drop from specific raid bosses goes directly against that philosophy and this was one of the few things that actually didn't work in Legion. Glad they are gone.
    That is yet another reason why they should never return. Azerite Gear does not have this problem. And when I say Azerite Gear I mean customizable gear with mini talents on it without any restriction.

I would say they should stay with this idea, remove it from raids, remove it from anywhere else and have a currency (TR) that drops from everywhere, not just weekly cache.

Ex 5 / mythic boss, 3 / heroic, 2 / normal 1/ lfr (but it has a lockout so if you go to lfr you wont get currency from another difficulty).
    and 5 / mythic + above +10 with a limit of 5 per week

And here is the magic, if you do 5 M+, you won't get it from Raids. So similar system to weekly cap that doesn't force raiders to do M+ and PvP.
    Of course it should also drop from arenas/battlegrounds.

With a Normal piece costing 20, heroic 60, mythic 120.

You would be earning around ~40 per week.

Gods I HOPE not.

Tier sets were absolute ass for gearing.

The last thing I want is LESS gearing choices. Eternal Palace was an absolute shitshow because between Azerite, Heart, and Benthic pieces, you were left with like 5 items to gear for, and 3 were weapon and two trinkets that EVERYONE was fighting over as basically the only loot they needed.

Fuck tier sets with a rusty spoon.

Except as cosmetics. Sure, add all the cosmetic sets you like, make them personal drops or whatever. But not actual gearing. Fuck no.

5+ Year Old Account
    I think nope, but I hope that they'll bring them back at some time. Set bonuses and removing craprandomforging would be a huge improvement in the gearing process and the rewards' feeling for the players.

Quote Originally Posted by Sithalos View Post
    Ion has this idea that he can do better than the tier set system. It's like trying to reinvent the wheel, and making it a square.

Maybe triangles will work out better for him.
    Feels like they have been trying to reinvent everything in the last few expansions and it's getting tiresome. Give us the formula that works, Tier sets worked..they gave my HC raiding guild a reason to go back after curve...instead of not raiding. Also finally getting all 4 pieces felt great, finally getting my azerite piece through complete RNG using residium does not feel good.

Blizzard really are destroying things that have always worked in the game and it really seems that they are doing this to stroke their own dev egos. NO ONE in our 20man guild thought removing tier sets was a good idea. NO ONE.

Quote Originally Posted by Very rare pepe View Post
    Feels like they have been trying to reinvent everything in the last few expansions and it's getting tiresome. Give us the formula that works, Tier sets worked..they gave my HC raiding guild a reason to go back after curve...instead of not raiding. Also finally getting all 4 pieces felt great, finally getting my azerite piece through complete RNG using residium does not feel good.

Blizzard really are destroying things that have always worked in the game and it really seems that they are doing this to stroke their own dev egos. NO ONE in our 20man guild thought removing tier sets was a good idea. NO ONE.
    Cool stroy bro. But you did not give any arguments for restoring Tier sets, you know like facts. I like Tier sets as Cosmetics but not as gear because it locks those pieces and you can't change them.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they did then it would make M+ irrelevant, so no it will not happen. I mean unless they add other ways of obtain them outside of a raid..

The azerite talents are the new set bonuses, and Shadowlands will come with its own "azerite talents".
    Get over it, you no longer get set bonuses per-se, that are locked to a specific tier set.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    If they did then it would make M+ irrelevant, so no it will not happen. I mean unless they add other ways of obtain them outside of a raid..
    Even more of a reason to bring back Tier-Sets . Also: WHY NOT BRING BACK DUNGEON-SETS? We had them in Vanilla/Classic and BC, so a Dungeon-4 set would also be interesting to see. Dungeon-Sets would fit with Mythic+ too, delivering more of a long-term goal.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sygmar View Post
    The azerite talents are the new set bonuses, and Shadowlands will come with its own "azerite talents".
    Get over it, you no longer get set bonuses per-se, that are locked to a specific tier set.
    No they won't. Blizzard will not bring the azerite-shit back, that something they already confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozu View Post
    I have experienced all of these things, even as recently as legion, but many times before that. I am not an impatient player, so I view these as things that are good to work towards / look forward to. The feeling you get when you finally see that drop you've been hoping for and your power increases by a significant amount because you hit a certain tier bonus is incredible. Increases are incremental these days aside from maybe trinkets. The difference is night and day.

I do understand wow is catering to people who need everything right now, which is why I play classic these days. I'll play shadowlands, but my expectations are extremely low and I seriously doubt they will be able to retain players like me.

I specifically said this is a good thing that added depth to decision making in gear in the last part of my post you quoted. Lmao.
    So rng with tier sets is good and makes you a patient player. But otherwise you hate rng?

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Blizzard sure played it well when they went on to remove tier set bonuses. They became less and less interesting and less impactful overall, until they felt more like tiny passive bonuses. So now when people say tier set bonuses are/were boring, they only remember the garbage tier sets that was the result of Blizzard already trying to phase them out. Make them less and less interesting, until people won't miss them very much. Hey, if you started playing in WoD I won't blame you for saying that tier sets bonuses are boring.
    For those of us who started way, way long before, tier set bonuses were and remain important.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Herald of the Titans Amaterasu65's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Tier sets can spice up the way a spec plays every raid tier. I'll never forget the feeling of excitement when I got the BRF 4set as a fire mage. Insanely fun. That creates a feel of necessity though, "I must get it". And back then you had to fight for the tiers between raiders, now that would be fixed with personal loot. The same feel of necessity is the same in BFA with the traits... So what we lost is extra gameplay styles and class specific visuals for traits...

Blizz dropped tier sets to further incentive M+ and so that M+ players didn't feel required to raid to get those sets bonuses. Azerite gear was just another excuse for the removal of tier sets. Since there will be no azerite gear in Shadowlands, sets could comeback, but since blizz canned them in BfA, they are gone for the foreseeable future since it takes blizz ages to bring back something people enjoyed, but they cut.

I liked sets for the class theme and b/c they were generally the most powerful gear for raiding. In Legion i didn't have to do much M+ for raiding. I admit I have a huge gripe against M+ since I feel forced to do it to raid at the mythic level. Why can't the best M+ gear come from M+ and the best raid gear from raids? Both can be supplemental to each other, but neither subservient. Sets designed for either would be a fun way to separate each type of content and give fun bonuses for classes to play around.

Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    Cool stroy bro. But you did not give any arguments for restoring Tier sets, you know like facts. I like Tier sets as Cosmetics but not as gear because it locks those pieces and you can't change them.
    Until they put in a better system and they have not, Azerite sucks and this expansion we still have 4 locked pieces of gear. I do not need to create an argument on what is better, Tier sets are better than our current Azerite system. Maybe if the Azerite traits were more interesting and you didn't require any AP it might have been better but it just flat out isn't. The most successful periods of the game had tier sets, the most unsuccessful(BFA) has none.

Quote Originally Posted by Very rare pepe View Post
    Until they put in a better system and they have not, Azerite sucks and this expansion we still have 4 locked pieces of gear. I do not need to create an argument on what is better, Tier sets are better than our current Azerite system. Maybe if the Azerite traits were more interesting and you didn't require any AP it might have been better but it just flat out isn't. The most successful periods of the game had tier sets, the most unsuccessful(BFA) has none.
    So? What is that childish point you are trying to make? You try to push your opinion as facts and now, you try to draw the conclusion that BFA is bad because there is no tier set? God, kids these days.