Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Proof the GOP is the party for racists?

SOURCE

Officials Called 'Redmen' a Racist Mascot. Then Voters Weighed In.
    The New York Times
    January 12, 2020, 10:57 AM PST

In July, the school board in a small Connecticut town called Killingly took what local officials said was a long-overdue step: removing the name of the school mascot, Redmen, which some Native Americans have deemed racist.

Students did not seem to rebel against the change, even agreeing in the fall to adopt a new name, the Redhawks.

But then the adults had their say.

Residents, apparently angered by the removal of the Redmen mascot, flocked to the polls in November and gave Republicans control of the town council and school board.

The new school board quickly voted to rescind the Redhawks name. And this week, at a contentious five-hour meeting, the board voted 5-4 to reinstate Redmen, which first became the school mascot in 1939.

The board turned aside pleas from students, administrators and Native American residents. No constituents favored the Redmen name, people at the meeting said.

“The people of Killingly spoke on Election Day of what they wanted,” Jason Muscara, one of the new Republican board members who voted to reinstate Redmen, said in an interview.

“I recognize there have been many Native Americans who have voiced those concerns,” he said. “But I would say there is an equal amount of Native people who feel the opposite.”

Still, the decision stirred a backlash among some students and officials in Killingly, which is in the northeast of the state and has a population of about 17,000 people.

More than a partisan split, the Redmen debate also highlighted a generational disconnect. On one side stood old guard alumni, steeped in notions of history and legacy. On the other are Generation Z-era students, raised in a time of heightened cultural sensitivity and inclusivity.

“We look racist,” said Soudalath Souvanhnathan, a senior at Killingly High School. “This is not what I want our school to be known for. And all because people don’t want to let go of tradition. This has made Killingly a laughingstock.”

Hoween Flexer, a Democratic member of the Killingly School Board, said, “The students, faculty and Native Americans told us what they wanted us not to do, and we did it anyway.”

The decision was an unusual turnabout in the decades-long campaign by some Native American groups and their supporters to pressure school and government officials and sporting teams to end the use of Native American names and imagery for mascots.
    There's more story in the link but basically what it shows is that the GOP (the Republicans for you non-Americans who don't know what the GOP is) is a party for your average racist. A school overturned the use of an derogatory name used for Native Americans. The students liked the name change. The residents of the town liked the name change. The GOP controlled school board stepped in and changed the name BACK to the derogatory name.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    There's more story in the link but basically what it shows is that the GOP (the Republicans for you non-Americans who don't know what the GOP is) is a party for your average racist. A school overturned the use of an derogatory name used for Native Americans. The students liked the name change. The residents of the town liked the name change. The GOP controlled school board stepped in and changed the name BACK to the derogatory name.
    And just to be clear, here's the mascot's image;

So yeah; it's definitely a racist name, not a reference to some non-Native-American group or entity that's being misconstrued; it's a straight-up racial slur.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm curious to see how long it will be before someone comes in with the "but the Democrats were the party of the KKK" line.

History is a dead art form.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    I'm curious to see how long it will be before someone comes in with the "but the Democrats were the party of the KKK" line.

History is a dead art form.
    The usual suspects, usually while flying the flag of the slaver traitors, are mentally incapable of considering that the ones that voted Democrat are now voting Republican (hence the numero uno sign of being a racist loser in the US, the said flag of the traitors-almost as holy as the American one for the NRA and at Republican conventions)

I feel like it would be kind of weird to be a school of probably 95% white kids with a team name of "Redmen". I can see why they tried to change the name. I guess the adults probably went to the school when they were kids and they had some pride on it and didnt want some gen z'ers ruining it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    I feel like it would be kind of weird to be a school of probably 95% white kids with a team name of "Redmen". I can see why they tried to change the name. I guess the adults probably went to the school when they were kids and they had some pride on it and didnt want some gen z'ers ruining it.
    The caucasity.

Is it really that difficult to go through life without forming emotional attachments to racist caricatures, I wonder?
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The caucasity.

Is it really that difficult to go through life without forming emotional attachments to racist caricatures, I wonder?
    I mean.. maybe the name was from recognizing the bravery and strength of the native americans? It was probably a tribute back in the day. Some native american tribes called themselves the redmen. I mean.. I dont know. I dont live in the area and know the context.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean.. maybe the name was from recognizing the bravery and strength of the native americans? It was probably a tribute back in the day. Some native american tribes called themselves the redmen. I mean.. I dont know. I dont live in the area and know the context.
    There are ways to do this respectfully: see the Florida State Seminoles.

"Redmen" is very much like having a team called the Chicago High Chinamen or the Birmingham Negroes, for example. They remain archaic exonyms used principally by whites and that carries a lot of squicky connotations.

10+ Year Old Account
    At least someone is sane in this thread, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    At least someone is sane in this thread, thank you
    What? An opinion that potentially makes republican's not racists! He must be a fascist too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Yes, I think a company should be legally allowed to refuse to serve black people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    I don't know what you are watching, but it isn't fucking reality.
    Hes talking about me saying Joe Biden has dementia. LOL

This is, literally, one of the smallest examples of why the GOP is the party of racists.

I mean, for fuck sake, are we still having this debate? After Bannon, Miller, Gorka, King, Sessions, Trump, Charlottesville, the Confederate monuments shitshow, the ICE concentration camps and more.

I could be here until the end of the week if I were to even attempt a comprehensive list of examples.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems like a bunch of white people with white guilt on the coasts are more upset about this issue than anyone else.
    The article clearly points out the name change was desired by local Native Americans, to say nothing of the student body and administrators.

Oh look, the racism apologetics circle jerk has begun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Oh look, the racism apologetics circle jerk has begun.
    Should the Irish be offended by leprocons being used or scandinavians be offended for using vikings?

Should the Irish be offended by leprocons being used or scandinavians be offended for using vikings?
    One is a fucking fairy tale the other is a fucking profession. I'm pretty sure you understand the difference. I'm starting to think you aren't just plain ignorant, but straight up full blown racist.

What you just did in your previous post, trying to explain it was 1, deciding what is and isn't offensive for the people who are being offended (Native Americans), 2, and then just dismissing the reason why they are offended, as in, after being subjected to genocide, displacement and couple of centuries of discrimination, their entire cultural, ethnic identity and history being reduced to being fucking mascot that uses a racially offensive term by the very people who did all that to them.

Just stop.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2020-01-13 at 09:14 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are ways to do this respectfully: see the Florida State Seminoles.
    And then the goalpost moves and people are still offended, as if they deliberately sought something to be offended with

Quote Originally Posted by Player Eleven View Post
    [/B]

What kind of stupid comparison is that?
    It's something people like him do all the time, make idiotic, asinine fucking derailing comment, where you end up debating something utterly unrelated to the question at hand.

If you fall down this rabbit hole, soon you'll be debating what exactly a Viking was and whether that has positive and negative connotations and tada, the entire fucking conversation has now derailed from the issue at hand.

Racism circle jerk apologetics 101. Seen it a million times.

- - - Updated - - -

And then the goalpost moves and people are still offended, as if they deliberately sought something to be offended with
    The goal posts didn't move.

It's one thing that the tribe sanctioned the use of the name and mascot, but even if the tribe would have sanctioned having some kid put on brown face and pretend to be a Native American it would be still be fucking offensive, because the Seminole tribe doesn't represent ALL Native Americans, BUT as far as I know that tribe never actually sanctioned the kid in brown face.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jehct View Post
    What? An opinion that potentially makes republican's not racists! He must be a fascist too!
    Surprise, surprise. You know... If someone wasn't one wouldn't vote for them, or defend them.

Just saying.

Surprise, surprise. You know... If someone wasn't one wouldn't vote for them, or defend them.

Just saying.

Isn't there some fallacy like the.. not a true scottsman one hmm. I think thats the one. The one where "you're not a real republican unless you are racist"
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Yes, I think a company should be legally allowed to refuse to serve black people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    I don't know what you are watching, but it isn't fucking reality.
    Hes talking about me saying Joe Biden has dementia. LOL

15+ Year Old Account
    I guess you missed the part where the general counsel for the Seminole Nation of Oklahoma said their people were offended. You know, the Natives from the Seminole nation that don't live in the state of Florida....

- - - Updated - - -

And either way, the mascot and the way they use the mascot is highly offensive and doesn't take a genius to see that.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is, literally, one of the smallest examples of why the GOP is the party of racists.

I mean, for fuck sake, are we still having this debate? After Bannon, Miller, Gorka, King, Sessions, Trump, Charlottesville, the Confederate monuments shitshow, the ICE concentration camps and more.

I could be here until the end of the week if I were to even attempt a comprehensive list of examples.
    But the "dEmOcRaTs SuPpOrTeD SlAvErY!!!"
    Putin khuliyo