Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    more money does mean faster development, the origional release date was then void at that point so if you were still expecting a 2014 release when the company was still not fully staffed until 2015 then your expectations not reasonable.
    Maybe, but nowhere during kickstarter or voting period he said "you know guys, with all these freatures, release date will be around year 2022 at best". Quite opposite, he was very vocal about NOT moving release date even with these features. He also said, they will be 4 times more effective with money than publisher. Honestly, this does not look like 1 billion dollar production.

I was there, i was scratching my head but still I was like "damn, even if they will delay this to 2016 or 2017, it will be fantastic". Well, here we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Star Citizen wouldn't have gotten $300 million in pledges if it had just remained the relatively modest space sim Freelancer 2.0.
    But maybe it would have actually released at some point and pleased its fanbase and backers with a good, functional product instead of a pipe dream that tries to do everything and shits itself in the process, fueled by screenshots and thousand-dollars spaceships you can't play.

I'm not even sure if what they want to do with SC is even possible at this point. No server architecture on the planet can handle a hundred times the the hundreds of thousands (more?) of moving parts present in each star system, on top of the NPCs required to populate the world and the mass of player one expects from a cutting-edge MMO. The project's scope should never have been allowed to blow up this much, no matter the fan demand, because fans mostly don't know shit about how games are actually made and run.

Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    Ok? But they still are buying them to use in the PU and CIG knows this which is why that side of things is the priority.

Holy hell dude, you sure are speaking a lot for CIG.

If that was the case then it would be on CIG to inform people, not for people to assume. I certainly don't remember any Chairman's letter saying that the 2014 date was void for reasons.
    They are buying them to use in the full release game not just the PU.

Your the one making assumptions, the origional game was not going to be an MMO to start with, the plan was there to do an MMO depending on funding so what you would of got was freelancer 2.0 with some limited planet landings, game changed to a full MMO and singleplayer campaign with full planet tech. So you tell me do you really think they could make that game in less than 2 years with around 58 staff after the kickstarter and 179 staff in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by ManiaCCC View Post
    Maybe, but nowhere during kickstarter or voting period he said "you know guys, with all these freatures, release date will be around year 2022 at best". Quite opposite, he was very vocal about NOT moving release date even with these features. He also said, they will be 4 times more effective with money than publisher. Honestly, this does not look like 1 billion dollar production.

I was there, i was scratching my head but still I was like "damn, even if they will delay this to 2016 or 2017, it will be fantastic". Well, here we are.
    The game was changed into a fully fledged MMO and increased how long it would take to develop by a large margin, the community is getting the game we all wanted, i dont think any developer knew how long the game would actually take to complete.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2020-05-24 at 06:56 PM.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Your the one making assumptions, the origional game was not going to be an MMO to start with, the plan was there to do an MMO depending on funding so what you would of got was freelancer 2.0 with some limited planet landings, game changed to a full MMO and singleplayer campaign with full planet tech. So you tell me do you really think they could make that game in less than 2 years with around 58 staff after the kickstarter and 179 staff in 2014.
    No, original plan was having cinematic single player experience with online component, where you can bring everything, you earned during your single player play through. It was extension of single player, with story character but also with other players around. Yes, it was not as big as is plan today, but mmo component was pitched from the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    But maybe it would have actually released at some point and...
    ...go down into the niche obscurity like all the other games that just remade a old game with a new flashy skin. See Elite: Dangerous.

Chris Roberts explicitly said in his pitch video back in 2012 that he didn't want to make "any old game".

He said, explicitly: "I want to build a Universe! I want to build the game I always wanted to build!"

And that's what he's doing. Some people forgot about that for some reason! And because they can't accept that this is not their project. This is not their game they got mad. This is a Chris Roberts one. No matter whatever money you gave him or if you didn't understood what you were pledging for, that's on you alone. Nobody forced you to pledge into a crowdfunding project just like nobody forces you to keep following the game.

Accept it and man up, crying about it just makes you an entitled target, another sad excuse for dev's keeping their development closed.
    Last edited by MrAnderson; 2020-05-24 at 07:02 PM.

The game was changed into a fully fledged MMO and increased how long it would take to develop by a large margin, the community is getting the game we all wanted, i dont think any developer knew how long the game would actually take to complete.
    Maybe they didn't know but for sure they knew how to make "Answer the call 2016" video. Look, they definitely have troubles in development. We don't know what it is or why it is, but even if they have the best intention to make great product, I just don't believe they have man power, skill set and talent to deliver it. And this is the better option.

No, original plan was having cinematic single player experience with online component, where you can bring everything, you earned during your single player play through. It was extension of single player, with story character but also with other players around. Yes, it was not as big as is plan today, but mmo component was pitched from the beginning.

Is Star Citizen an MMO?

No! Star Citizen will take the best of all possible worlds, ranging from a permanent, persistent world similar to those found in MMOs to an offline, single player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series. The game will include the option for private servers, like Freelancer, and will offer plenty of opportunities for players who are interested in modding the content. Unlike many games, none of these aspects is an afterthought: they all combine to form the core of the Star Citizen experience.

quoted from star citizen kickstarter FAQ, there was a plan to make an MMO depending on how much money they got. The first version of the game would be a hell of alot easier to make without the need to support tons of players ontop of what the game would provide.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2020-05-24 at 07:07 PM.

Is Star Citizen an MMO?

No! Star Citizen will take the best of all possible worlds, ranging from a permanent, persistent world similar to those found in MMOs to an offline, single player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series. The game will include the option for private servers, like Freelancer, and will offer plenty of opportunities for players who are interested in modding the content. Unlike many games, none of these aspects is an afterthought: they all combine to form the core of the Star Citizen experience.

quoted from star citizen kickstarter FAQ, there was a plan to make an MMO depending on how much money they got.
    Of course it's MMO. What the hell are you talking about?

Are you really quoting PR bs from FAQ? C'mon. It's mmo by definition.

EDIT: Oh I see what you want to say. Look, even if they would not promised MMO during kickstater campaign, they promised it days after successful campaign. And even with feature creep, they were dead set on 2014-2015 release. You have to see they are quite off. So question is "what happen".
    Last edited by ManiaCCC; 2020-05-24 at 07:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
    lulz snip.
    So did you ask Chris and Sandy or what? No one is going to take you serious until you get that info from your bosses for us.

- - - Updated - - -

there was a plan to make an MMO depending on how much money they got. The first version of the game would be a hell of alot easier to make without the need to support tons of players ontop of what the game would provide.
    Oh, so that laughable 50 player cap is supposed to be there? That makes sense then.

Thanks for confirming. LoL /facepalm

Quote Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
    ...go down into the niche obscurity like all the other games that just remade a old game with a new flashy skin. See Elite: Dangerous.

Chris Roberts explicitly said in his pitch video back in 2012 that he didn't want to make "any old game".

He said, explicitly: "I want to build a Universe! I want to build the game I always wanted to build!"

And that's what he's doing. Some people forgot about that for some reason! And because they can't accept that this is not their project. This is not their game they got mad. This is a Chris Roberts one. No matter whatever money you gave him or if you didn't understood what you were pledging for, that's on you alone. Nobody forced you to pledge into a crowdfunding project just like nobody forces you to keep following the game.

Accept it and man up, crying about it just makes you an entitled target, another sad excuse for dev's keeping their development closed.
    Better any old game that actually releases and works than a universe that lasts an hour before the servers explode, and that's with 1/100th of the promised game still in it. Elite: Dangerous is actually playable, if not my cup of tea, and before you pull out the usual argument I sure as fuck wouldn't brag about Twitch stats that barely beat those of No Man's Sky.

Not sure about the projection going in the rest of your post. I haven't given a cent to Star Citizen, and if you think my post was me hating, oh boy you should see what hate actually looks like when I talk about shit like Fallout 76. That was just criticism in passing. Man up and accept it, or don't. You can always console yourself with more pretty screenshots, I suppose.

Of course it's MMO. What the hell are you talking about?

Are you really quoting PR bs from FAQ? C'mon. It's mmo by definition.
    Its one of the FAQs within the kickstarter and thats the reply, it was going to have a limited multiplayer to play with friends and thats it for the origional game so stop your BS when your not backed up by any facts, the kickstarter for one does not mention MMO at all. The multiplayer was also planned to be modable which doesnt really happen in MMOs especially with PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Oh, so that laughable 50 player cap is supposed to be there? That makes sense then.

Thanks for confirming. LoL /facepalm
    It is supposed to be there until the required tech is ready so it makes all the sense, your the one not making any sense in a vain attempt to talk crap about a game you obviously dont like.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2020-05-24 at 07:19 PM.

Its one of the FAQs within the kickstarter and thats the reply, it was going to have a limited multiplayer to play with friends and thats it for the origional game so stop your BS when your not backed up by any facts, the kickstarter for one does not mention MMO at all.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhsgiliheP0

Just watch it, around 3-4 minutes.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is supposed to be there until the required tech is ready so it makes all the sense, your the one not making any sense in a vain attempt to talk crap about a game you obviously dont like.
    Ohhh, so it is an MMO. thanks for confirming.

/facepalm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhsgiliheP0

Just watch it, around 3-4 minutes.
    Why dont you rewatch it, note he says some multiplayer not an MMO, and the kickstarter does not mention MMO once, having multiplayer and being an MMO are two different things.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Ohhh, so it is an MMO. thanks for confirming.

/facepalm
    and when the game is ready there will be far more than 50, in only certain areas in most MMOs are you ever going to see a large amount of players.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Better any old game that actually releases
    For you maybe, for many others it's not enough, If I and those many others wanted Elite: Dangerous or NMS we would be playing them. And you probably would too. But we aren't so there it is.

Star Citizen might be TOO ambitious for it's own good in your terms, but it's a choice from its maker that it's backed by it's community and that's all that matters.

You don't have to agree or like it because it's irrelevant, the fact that you feel the need to show such opinion just shows you're interested.

Contrary to you I don't need to "console" myself with screenshots because Star Citizen as given me access to play everything available since 2013. The benefits of open development vs closed development. Probably why you have Elite fanboys posting here instead of in their game forum.
    Last edited by MrAnderson; 2020-05-24 at 08:19 PM.

Why dont you rewatch it, note he says some multiplayer not an MMO, and the kickstarter does not mention MMO once, having multiplayer and being an MMO are two different things.
    You said first plan for was to have just single player, I said MMO component was planned from the beginning. You can argue what MMO is or not, but open world multiplayer shared universe was planned from the start. It may not sound as MMO for you, but it is exactly, what they are doing now. Only question is player limit. Which was not discussed during kickstarter campaign.

But during vote campaign, they were talking about hundreds players in one battle and some other fun stuff. But this is not important. Important is even after feature creep, they said release date wont be delayed. . That's my point. Because you are excusing slow development by scope change while CR himself told us scope change is not an issue and game will be released as planned.

You said first plan for was to have just single player, I said MMO component was planned from the beginning. You can argue what MMO is or not, but open world multiplayer shared universe was planned from the start. It may not sound as MMO for you, but it is exactly, what they are doing now. Only question is player limit. Which was not discussed during kickstarter campaign.

But during vote campaign, they were talking about hundreds players in one battle and some other fun stuff. But this is not important. Important is even after feature creep, they said release date wont be delayed. . That's my point. Because you are excusing slow development by scope change while CR himself told us scope change is not an issue and game will be released as planned.
    No i said it just wasnt planned to be an MMO, not that is didnt have some multiplayer, open world would only be shared with your friends and not other ppl as the multiplayer was to be hosted by the player themselves as there was also going to be support to mod the game.

Chris never said it would release as the kickstarter planned, not even in the 2013 citcon was a date mentioned for release or in the 2014 citcon was any dates for full release mentioned either, only mention is arena commander in 2014 and fps modules in 2015.

No i said it just wasnt planned to be an MMO, not that is didnt have some multiplayer, open world would only be shared with your friends and not other ppl as the multiplayer was to be hosted by the player themselves as there was also going to be support to mod the game.

Chris never said it would release as the kickstarter planned, not even in the 2013 citcon was a date mentioned for release or in the 2014 citcon was any dates for full release mentioned either, only mention is arena commander in 2014 and fps modules in 2015.
    Well, yes. It wasn't 2012 anymore, when they had no problem to throw dates around willy-nilly but citcon 2015 launched site with answer the call 2016 for SQ42.

I still don't understand what are you arguing about. They are constantly overpromising and underdelivering.

This was promised in October 2016 that it will be done by the end of 2016.

And this was roadmap for 2017

Again, this was promised just 2-3 months before it was supposed to hit testing servers. So they were either lying or are incompetent as hell. The worst thing, nothing changed. Same thing is still happening to these days.

And what is the "full release" game? Oh it's the persistent universe....

Fucking hell

Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    And what is the "full release" game? Oh it's the persistent universe....

Fucking hell
    they would still get money no matter if there is a version to test or not so its irrelevant so all you have is your assumptions.

snip.
    Your the one ignoring that the origional game was primarily a single player with some multiplayer and its wasnt even going to have planets as we have them now.

When the scope was increased the date for first released was made irrelevant, so complaining about a release date is pointless, the company didnt even have good level of staff until 2017.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2020-05-24 at 09:15 PM.